|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the men spend the first night?
2. What animal is in relative abundance on the island?
3. How big is the beach on the island?
4. Which man is chosen to accompany Shackleton because of his navigation and small-boat abilities?
5. When the men try to reach land the first time, how high are the breakers in the surf tide?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men spend their time in the boat as they try to reach South Georgia Island?
2. What is the beach and island like that the men land on? How do the men feel about it?
3. What are the boats like that the men are forced to use?
4. What is the experience in the boats like for the men?
5. What is the weather like as the men try to make it to Elephant Island?
6. What do the men do after they land at Elephant Island?
7. How does Shackleton organize the watch on the boat?
8. What do the men do to prepare for Shackleton's rescue attempt?
9. What do the men think about their chance of rescue through Shackleton's attempt?
10. What is the condition of the men once they reach South Georgia Island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was it like for the men in the open boats? What dangers did they face? Why do you think Shackleton chose this action over other alternatives? Do you think the risk was worth it? Why or why not? What would you have chosen to do in the same circumstance?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the trek over the mountains that Shackleton and two crew members take. What obstacles did they face? Why do you think Shackleton chose trekking over the mountains? Would you have made the same choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Polar expeditions have particular challenges for explorers and their crews. What are some of the challenges that are unique to polar regions? What obstacles did the environment present to Shackleton and his crew? How did they overcome these challenges?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)