|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men use as a base for their crude hut?
2. What is the camp on Elephant Island known as?
3. Which man is chosen to accompany Shackleton because of his navigation and small-boat abilities?
4. Which boat gets separated from the others?
5. With what boat do the men attempt their escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the boats like that the men are forced to use?
2. What do the men experience as they go through Drake Passage?
3. Who is chosen to go with Shackleton on the rescue attempt? Why is each person chosen?
4. What is the beach and island like that the men land on? How do the men feel about it?
5. Why does Shackleton decide to leave the island? Who does he consult with about the decision?
6. What happens to Blackboro after Shackleton leaves the island?
7. What is the condition of the men as they land on shore?
8. How do the men decide on the land that they want to target for landing?
9. What is the experience in the boats like for the men?
10. What is the weather like as the men try to make it to Elephant Island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think men volunteered for the expedition? What are some reasons why someone might participate in spite of the danger involved? Do you think the men regretted their decision at any point in the events?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the crew of the Endurance. What are the men like? What skills or experiences do they bring to the expedition? Do you think Shackleton made good choices in the crew members? Is there anyone that you wouldn't include in the crew? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Drake Passage. Why is this passage so dangerous? Why do you think Shackleton braves this passage? Would you have made the same decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)