|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Elephant Island named what it is?
2. How many men go with Shackleton on the escape attempt?
3. What is the camp on Elephant Island known as?
4. What do the men realize on their first morning on the island?
5. Where do the men finally land with the boats?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men decide on the land that they want to target for landing?
2. What do the men do in the time that they wait for Shackleton to return?
3. Who is chosen to go with Shackleton on the rescue attempt? Why is each person chosen?
4. Why is the Drake Passage so dangerous?
5. What do the men think about their chance of rescue through Shackleton's attempt?
6. What happens to Blackboro after Shackleton leaves the island?
7. What is the experience in the boats like for the men?
8. What do the men do to improve the camp after Shackleton leaves?
9. Why does Shackleton decide to leave the island? Who does he consult with about the decision?
10. What types of weather do the men face as they try to reach South Georgia Island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the crew of the Endurance. What are the men like? What skills or experiences do they bring to the expedition? Do you think Shackleton made good choices in the crew members? Is there anyone that you wouldn't include in the crew? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events leading up to the sinking of the Endurance. How did the men prepare for this event? How do you think they felt as the Endurance began taking on water and sinking into the ocean? How did they handle this event?
Essay Topic 3
The expedition has various encounters with animals throughout the events. Why are animals an important part of the events of the book? What dangers do the animals present? What benefits do the animals present? Do you agree with the decisions made by the expedition in regards to the animals present/encountered? Why or why not?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)