|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men need to do almost constantly in the boat?
2. How many men go with Shackleton on the escape attempt?
3. What do the men do after they arrive on South Georgia Island?
4. What word best describes the conditions in the hut?
5. What do the men wrap around the hut to keep it warmer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the landing like on South Georgia Island?
2. What do the men do after they land at Elephant Island?
3. Who is first on shore? Why?
4. Who is chosen to go with Shackleton on the rescue attempt? Why is each person chosen?
5. How do the men decide on the land that they want to target for landing?
6. What is the condition of the men as they land on shore?
7. What is the experience in the boats like for the men?
8. What is the condition of the men once they reach South Georgia Island?
9. How do the men spend their time in the boat as they try to reach South Georgia Island?
10. What are the boats like that the men are forced to use?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events leading up to the sinking of the Endurance. How did the men prepare for this event? How do you think they felt as the Endurance began taking on water and sinking into the ocean? How did they handle this event?
Essay Topic 2
Identify three characteristics or resources you think allow people to survive being shipwrecked and waiting for help without giving up hope altogether. Do you think the crew of the Endurance illustrated these characteristics? Why or why not? Why do you think the crew was able to adapt to the situations in which they found themselves without more problems and issues within the group?
Essay Topic 3
How do the men deal with the endless waiting during the expedition? What specific actions do they take to lessen the mental and physical effects of this? Why do you think that waiting took such a heavy toll on the crew? How do you think you would react in a similar situation?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)