|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the men try to reach land the first time, how high are the breakers in the surf tide?
2. Who suffers a heart attack?
3. From where do the men get fresh water?
4. How big is the beach on the island?
5. The men are sailing west, but in what direction do they find themselves going?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the beach and island like that the men land on? How do the men feel about it?
2. How does Shackleton organize the watch on the boat?
3. What is the weather like as the men try to make it to Elephant Island?
4. What is the condition of the men as they land on shore?
5. What is the condition of the men once they reach South Georgia Island?
6. Why is the Drake Passage so dangerous?
7. What is the landing like on South Georgia Island?
8. How do the men decide on the land that they want to target for landing?
9. What types of weather do the men face as they try to reach South Georgia Island?
10. How does Shackleton feel as the group sets out in the boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Shackleton's personality. What kind of leader is he? How do you think his leadership skills and personality contributed to the situations that the men found themselves in throughout the book? Do you think he is a effective or ineffective leader?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the trek over the mountains that Shackleton and two crew members take. What obstacles did they face? Why do you think Shackleton chose trekking over the mountains? Would you have made the same choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think men volunteered for the expedition? What are some reasons why someone might participate in spite of the danger involved? Do you think the men regretted their decision at any point in the events?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)