|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The famous Cape Horn Rollers can get how high?
2. On what day do Shackleton and the five men depart?
3. How does Shackleton feel about relying on Worsley?
4. Which boat is the most manageable?
5. What do the men use as a base for their crude hut?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is chosen to go with Shackleton on the rescue attempt? Why is each person chosen?
2. How does Shackleton feel as the group sets out in the boat?
3. What is the landing like on South Georgia Island?
4. What is the condition of the men as they land on shore?
5. What do the men do after they land at Elephant Island?
6. What is the condition of the men once they reach South Georgia Island?
7. What types of weather do the men face as they try to reach South Georgia Island?
8. What are the boats like that the men are forced to use?
9. How do the men spend their time in the boat as they try to reach South Georgia Island?
10. What do the men do in the time that they wait for Shackleton to return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the crew of the Endurance. What are the men like? What skills or experiences do they bring to the expedition? Do you think Shackleton made good choices in the crew members? Is there anyone that you wouldn't include in the crew? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The crew faced a number of dangers together as well as living in close quarters. How did the crew get along with each other? What problems did they have? How were these problems overcome? Do you think that the crew's relationships with each other helped or hindered the expedition and the events that followed?
Essay Topic 3
How do the men deal with the endless waiting during the expedition? What specific actions do they take to lessen the mental and physical effects of this? Why do you think that waiting took such a heavy toll on the crew? How do you think you would react in a similar situation?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)