|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who works on the ship's three boats?
2. The shortages of food mean that the men have trouble with what?
3. By April, what surrounds Patience Camp?
4. What causes clashes in the camp?
5. What do the men do the first few days after abandoning ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Shackleton make that baffles the men? Why?
2. What is life like in the camps?
3. How many boats does the ship have? What do the men do to the boats?
4. What happens to the Endurance?
5. What concerns the men about their camp on the ice floe?
6. How do the men deal with the food shortages?
7. What happens to the Patience Camp ice floe?
8. How does Blackboro join the expedition?
9. What is the weather like while the Endurance is trapped in the ice?
10. Why do the men struggle with getting the sledges across the ice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Shackleton's expedition a success or failure? Why? Was Shackleton himself a success or failure for the expedition? Back up your answer using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How do the men deal with the endless waiting during the expedition? What specific actions do they take to lessen the mental and physical effects of this? Why do you think that waiting took such a heavy toll on the crew? How do you think you would react in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 3
What preparations did Shackleton and his men make for the conditions that they would face in Antarctica? Do you think these preparations were adequate? Why or why not? What other preparations would you make if you were in charge of the expedition?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)