|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is one of the dog teams killed?
2. Where is a known cache of food and supplies?
3. What do the men discover about the new camp?
4. The Endurance is designed to sail with what?
5. Before Shackleton renamed her Endurance, what was his ship known as?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men get the gigantic leopard seal?
2. What does Shackleton decide to do in December? What leads to this decision?
3. What are the men like that Shackleton takes with him as the crew?
4. How do the men deal with the food shortages?
5. Why do the men struggle with getting the sledges across the ice?
6. What do the men salvage off the Endurance?
7. How many boats does the ship have? What do the men do to the boats?
8. How is the Endurance designed for a polar expedition?
9. What happens as the ship approaches Vahsel Bay?
10. What is life like in the camps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Drake Passage. Why is this passage so dangerous? Why do you think Shackleton braves this passage? Would you have made the same decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The crew faced a number of dangers together as well as living in close quarters. How did the crew get along with each other? What problems did they have? How were these problems overcome? Do you think that the crew's relationships with each other helped or hindered the expedition and the events that followed?
Essay Topic 3
What was it like for the men in the open boats? What dangers did they face? Why do you think Shackleton chose this action over other alternatives? Do you think the risk was worth it? Why or why not? What would you have chosen to do in the same circumstance?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)