|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what are the dogs used?
2. What are the men dependent on while they are on the pack ice?
3. Who works on the ship's three boats?
4. The men come to realize that what will determine their fate?
5. Shackleton's first voyage is under whose leadership?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Patience Camp ice floe?
2. What pieces of land do the men get relatively close to on the ice floe?
3. Why do the men struggle with getting the sledges across the ice?
4. How do the men get the gigantic leopard seal?
5. What do the men do after they realize that the Endurance is trapped in the ice?
6. What is life like in the camps?
7. What do the men do after they abandon the Endurance?
8. How many boats does the ship have? What do the men do to the boats?
9. What happens to the Endurance?
10. What concerns the men about their camp on the ice floe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The expedition's ship is named the Endurance. How does this name come to symbolize the events of the expedition? In what ways did the men "endure?" Are there any areas or times in which the men did not "endure?" Use examples from the book to back up your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What was it like for the men in the open boats? What dangers did they face? Why do you think Shackleton chose this action over other alternatives? Do you think the risk was worth it? Why or why not? What would you have chosen to do in the same circumstance?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Drake Passage. Why is this passage so dangerous? Why do you think Shackleton braves this passage? Would you have made the same decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)