|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the stomach of the leopard seal that is shot?
2. What does the crew realize as they make their way with the sledges?
3. For what are the dogs used?
4. Where is a known cache of food and supplies?
5. The men come to realize that what will determine their fate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men deal with the food shortages?
2. What do the men salvage off the Endurance?
3. How do the men get the gigantic leopard seal?
4. How many boats does the ship have? What do the men do to the boats?
5. What do the men do to pass the time on the ice floe?
6. Why do the men struggle with getting the sledges across the ice?
7. What is life like in the camps?
8. What concerns the men about their camp on the ice floe?
9. What pieces of land do the men get relatively close to on the ice floe?
10. What do the men do after they realize that the Endurance is trapped in the ice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The expedition's ship is named the Endurance. How does this name come to symbolize the events of the expedition? In what ways did the men "endure?" Are there any areas or times in which the men did not "endure?" Use examples from the book to back up your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events leading up to the sinking of the Endurance. How did the men prepare for this event? How do you think they felt as the Endurance began taking on water and sinking into the ocean? How did they handle this event?
Essay Topic 3
How do the men deal with the endless waiting during the expedition? What specific actions do they take to lessen the mental and physical effects of this? Why do you think that waiting took such a heavy toll on the crew? How do you think you would react in a similar situation?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)