|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes the pay for individuals on the voyage?
2. Who builds a ten-foot high cofferdam in the aft?
3. Orde-Lees is one day stalked and then pursued by what?
4. What is ever present in the camps?
5. What do the men do the first few days after abandoning ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the men struggle with getting the sledges across the ice?
2. What is the experience like for the men as they trek with the sledges?
3. What experience does Shackleton have as an explorer?
4. What pieces of land do the men get relatively close to on the ice floe?
5. How is the Endurance designed for a polar expedition?
6. What happens to the Patience Camp ice floe?
7. The men begin to notice that the ice is affecting the Endurance. What is occurring and how is the Endurance affected?
8. What happens to the Endurance?
9. What leads the men to take to the boats?
10. What do the men salvage off the Endurance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Drake Passage. Why is this passage so dangerous? Why do you think Shackleton braves this passage? Would you have made the same decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The expedition's ship is named the Endurance. How does this name come to symbolize the events of the expedition? In what ways did the men "endure?" Are there any areas or times in which the men did not "endure?" Use examples from the book to back up your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The crew faced a number of dangers together as well as living in close quarters. How did the crew get along with each other? What problems did they have? How were these problems overcome? Do you think that the crew's relationships with each other helped or hindered the expedition and the events that followed?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)