|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What personal items are salvaged after the first sledging attempt?
2. What game do the men play in camp?
3. What happens on April 9?
4. Who works on the ship's three boats?
5. By April, what surrounds Patience Camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shackleton decide to do in December? What leads to this decision?
2. In preparation for the attempted trek to Paulet Island, how do the men prepare?
3. What initial plan do the men make to put themselves in a better position?
4. How is the Endurance designed for a polar expedition?
5. The men begin to notice that the ice is affecting the Endurance. What is occurring and how is the Endurance affected?
6. What do the men do to pass the time on the ice floe?
7. What experience does Shackleton have as an explorer?
8. How many boats does the ship have? What do the men do to the boats?
9. Why do the men struggle with getting the sledges across the ice?
10. What do the men do after they realize that the Endurance is trapped in the ice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the men deal with the endless waiting during the expedition? What specific actions do they take to lessen the mental and physical effects of this? Why do you think that waiting took such a heavy toll on the crew? How do you think you would react in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 2
What was life like on Elephant Island for the crew? What did they do to make like more bearable? How do you think they felt about being on the island? Use specific examples from the book to back up your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Identify three characteristics of a leader. Do you think Shackleton exhibits these characteristics? Use examples from the book to show that Shackleton either does or does not exhibit the characteristics.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)