|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Shackleton's sailing vessel?
2. What is ever present in the camps?
3. What personal items are salvaged after the first sledging attempt?
4. Who builds a ten-foot high cofferdam in the aft?
5. What is the third boat named, which is recovered from Ocean Camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Endurance designed for a polar expedition?
2. What do the men salvage off the Endurance?
3. What concerns the men about their camp on the ice floe?
4. What happens to the Endurance?
5. How does Blackboro join the expedition?
6. What do the men do after they realize that the Endurance is trapped in the ice?
7. What happens as the ship approaches Vahsel Bay?
8. Why do the men struggle with getting the sledges across the ice?
9. What initial plan do the men make to put themselves in a better position?
10. As the men attempts sledging, what does McNeish do? How does Shackleton handle the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The expedition has various encounters with animals throughout the events. Why are animals an important part of the events of the book? What dangers do the animals present? What benefits do the animals present? Do you agree with the decisions made by the expedition in regards to the animals present/encountered? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The men have various names for their camps. What are some of these names? Why do you think the camps were given names? Why do you think these particular names were chosen for the camp names? What alternative names would you have chosen for the camps? Use examples from the book to back up your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the dangers the men faced on the expedition? Give examples from the book that illustrate these dangers. What do you feel was the greatest threat to the men? Why?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)