|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men come to realize that what will determine their fate?
2. How far did the men go with the sledges, of the 200 that they needed to do?
3. What camp is located almost back to Ocean Camp?
4. Orde-Lees is one day stalked and then pursued by what?
5. Where is a known cache of food and supplies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What pieces of land do the men get relatively close to on the ice floe?
2. How is the Endurance designed for a polar expedition?
3. What do the men do to pass the time on the ice floe?
4. What happens as the ship approaches Vahsel Bay?
5. What does Shackleton decide to do in December? What leads to this decision?
6. How do the men deal with the food shortages?
7. What is life like in the camps?
8. As the men attempts sledging, what does McNeish do? How does Shackleton handle the situation?
9. What is the weather like while the Endurance is trapped in the ice?
10. What happens to the Patience Camp ice floe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify three characteristics or resources you think allow people to survive being shipwrecked and waiting for help without giving up hope altogether. Do you think the crew of the Endurance illustrated these characteristics? Why or why not? Why do you think the crew was able to adapt to the situations in which they found themselves without more problems and issues within the group?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think men volunteered for the expedition? What are some reasons why someone might participate in spite of the danger involved? Do you think the men regretted their decision at any point in the events?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Drake Passage. Why is this passage so dangerous? Why do you think Shackleton braves this passage? Would you have made the same decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)