|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word best describes the experience of the men in the boat?
2. How long do the men decide that the normal watches will be?
(a) Twelve hours
(b) Four hours
(c) Eight hours
(d) One hour
3. What do the men realize on their first morning on the island?
(a) There is no fresh water on the island
(b) The high-water mark is well above the level of the flat area
(c) The ocean is turning to ice around them
(d) A village is on the other side of the island
4. How do the men spend their time in the boat?
(a) Playing bridge
(b) Fishing off the side
(c) Chipping away ice
(d) Discussing politics
5. What word best describes the conditions in the hut?
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Shackleton and the men depart in the boat to try to reach civilization?
2. What date is assigned as an improbable return date for Shackleton?
3. Where do the men finally land with the boats?
4. What surrounds the beach on the island?
5. How far do the men have to row to get to the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men do to improve the camp after Shackleton leaves?
2. What are the boats like that the men are forced to use?
3. Who is first on shore? Why?
4. What types of weather do the men face as they try to reach South Georgia Island?
5. What do the men experience as they go through Drake Passage?
6. What is the weather like as the men try to make it to Elephant Island?
7. What is the condition of the men once they reach South Georgia Island?
8. How do the men spend their time in the boat as they try to reach South Georgia Island?
9. How do the men decide on the land that they want to target for landing?
10. What do the men do after they land at Elephant Island?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)