|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where do the men get fresh water?
(a) A glacier
(b) A small stream by the beach
(c) A waterfall down one of the cliffs
(d) By collecting rainwater
2. When the men try to reach land the first time, how high are the breakers in the surf tide?
(a) 12 feet
(b) 20 feet
(c) 40 feet
(d) 5 feet
3. How many nautical miles do the men travel in the boats?
4. How many boats do the men travel in?
5. What animal is in relative abundance on the island?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most dreaded bit of ocean on the planet?
2. How do the men spend their time in the boat?
3. Where do the men finally land with the boats?
4. By late August, how do the men feel about their chance of rescue?
5. What does Shackleton decide to do once the new camp is established?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shackleton organize the watch on the boat?
2. Why is the Drake Passage so dangerous?
3. Why does Shackleton decide to leave the island? Who does he consult with about the decision?
4. What do the men do to prepare for Shackleton's rescue attempt?
5. What is the experience in the boats like for the men?
6. What happens to Blackboro after Shackleton leaves the island?
7. What is the condition of the men once they reach South Georgia Island?
8. How does Shackleton feel as the group sets out in the boat?
9. How do the men spend their time in the boat as they try to reach South Georgia Island?
10. What is the landing like on South Georgia Island?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)