|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How fast does the crew estimate their speed to be through the Drake Passage?
(a) Ten knots
(b) Five knots
(c) 16 knots
(d) Two knots
2. About how long are the boats?
(a) Twelve feet
(b) Forty feet
(c) Six feet
(d) Twenty-two feet
3. What do the men wrap around the hut to keep it warmer?
(c) Seal hides
4. The men are sailing west, but in what direction do they find themselves going?
5. With what boat do the men attempt their escape?
(a) Stancomb Willis
(b) James Caird
(c) Willard Daniels
(d) Dudley Docker
Short Answer Questions
1. How many boats do the men travel in?
2. The famous Cape Horn Rollers can get how high?
3. Whose navigational skills does Shackleton have to trust in?
4. Why is Elephant Island named what it is?
5. When the men try to reach land the first time, how high are the breakers in the surf tide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is first on shore? Why?
2. What types of weather do the men face as they try to reach South Georgia Island?
3. What do the men experience as they go through Drake Passage?
4. How does Shackleton organize the watch on the boat?
5. How do the men decide on the land that they want to target for landing?
6. What do the men think about their chance of rescue through Shackleton's attempt?
7. Why is the Drake Passage so dangerous?
8. What is the approach to Elephant Island like?
9. What is the condition of the men as they land on shore?
10. How do the men spend their time in the boat as they try to reach South Georgia Island?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)