|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the men spend the first night?
(a) On a pressure ridge
(b) On an ice floe
(c) On a small piece of land
(d) In the boats
2. What date is assigned as an improbable return date for Shackleton?
(a) Mid July
(b) Early October
(c) Late May
(d) Mid December
3. How long does it take the men to find a relatively secure spot for their camp?
(a) Two days
(b) None; the beach they are on will do
(c) Nine hours
(d) Two hours
4. What does Shackleton do the first night after they leave Elephant Island?
(b) Fish off the side of the boat
(c) Discuss the situation with Worsley
(d) Turns around and goes back
5. What runs out, causing the men to look for combustible items?
(c) Seal meat
Short Answer Questions
1. The famous Cape Horn Rollers can get how high?
2. About how wide are the boats?
3. How big is the beach on the island?
4. What almost overturns the boats when they are first launched?
5. Where do the men finally land with the boats?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men do in the time that they wait for Shackleton to return?
2. What do the men think about their chance of rescue through Shackleton's attempt?
3. What is the condition of the men once they reach South Georgia Island?
4. What do the men experience as they go through Drake Passage?
5. What are the boats like that the men are forced to use?
6. What do the men do after they land at Elephant Island?
7. Why is the Drake Passage so dangerous?
8. Who is first on shore? Why?
9. What do the men do to improve the camp after Shackleton leaves?
10. How do the men decide on the land that they want to target for landing?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)