|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the men approach the island, what are the wind speeds?
(a) 25 miles an hour
(b) 100 miles an hour
(c) 5 miles an hour
(d) 70 miles an hour
2. How many nautical miles do the men travel in the boats?
3. What word best describes the conditions in the hut?
4. What is the most dreaded bit of ocean on the planet?
(a) Berring Sea
(b) Drake Passage
(c) Panama Canel
(d) Cape of Good Hope
5. What is used as a roof on the crude hut?
(b) The two boats
(c) Seal hides
(d) The sails
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shackleton decide to do once the new camp is established?
2. What animal is in relative abundance on the island?
3. What runs out, causing the men to look for combustible items?
4. What happens to Blackboro?
5. Which crew member refuses to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is first on shore? Why?
2. What do the men do to improve the camp after Shackleton leaves?
3. Why is the Drake Passage so dangerous?
4. How does Shackleton feel as the group sets out in the boat?
5. What do the men do in the time that they wait for Shackleton to return?
6. What do the men do after they land at Elephant Island?
7. What do the men experience as they go through Drake Passage?
8. What is the condition of the men once they reach South Georgia Island?
9. What do the men do to prepare for Shackleton's rescue attempt?
10. What is the beach and island like that the men land on? How do the men feel about it?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)