|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main event in Chapter 1?
(a) The final push to the pole
(b) The sinking of the Endurance by a hurricane
(c) The crushing of the Endurance by the ice pack
(d) The death of Shackleton and the crew
2. What does the crew realize as they make their way with the sledges?
(a) They will need to leave the dogs behind
(b) The ice floe they are on is shrinking
(c) Substantive movement by sledge is simply impossible
(d) They are only five miles from Paulet Island
3. What do Shackleton and the crew realize about the ice?
(a) The Endurance can break through all but the thickest ice
(b) It is more or less permanent
(c) They'll have to walk across it to the pole
(d) It will go away the following spring
4. Why does Shackleton move the food stores near his tent?
(a) To get first choice
(b) To protect it from bears
(c) To prevent theft
(d) To assert his leadership
5. What do the men name the camp they create after trying the sledges for the first time?
(a) Endurance Camp
(b) Misery Camp
(c) Death Camp
(d) Ocean Camp
Short Answer Questions
1. Rations consist of what meat?
2. Where does Shackleton head for final provisioning?
3. Who works on the ship's three boats?
4. What personal items are salvaged after the first sledging attempt?
5. Which word best describes the progress across the pack ice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shackleton pay for his expedition?
2. What concerns the men about their camp on the ice floe?
3. How many boats does the ship have? What do the men do to the boats?
4. The men begin to notice that the ice is affecting the Endurance. What is occurring and how is the Endurance affected?
5. What is the experience like for the men as they trek with the sledges?
6. What does Shackleton decide to do in December? What leads to this decision?
7. What leads the men to take to the boats?
8. What do the men salvage off the Endurance?
9. What is the weather like while the Endurance is trapped in the ice?
10. What are the men like that Shackleton takes with him as the crew?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)