|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men spend their time in the boat?
(a) Chipping away ice
(b) Fishing off the side
(c) Playing bridge
(d) Discussing politics
2. In the boats, the men suffer from what?
(a) Freezing temperatures
(b) Food poisoning
(d) Low winds
3. What date is assigned as an improbable return date for Shackleton?
(a) Mid December
(b) Late May
(c) Mid July
(d) Early October
4. What surrounds the beach on the island?
(a) Ice floes
(b) Vertical cliffs
5. What do the men realize on their first morning on the island?
(a) The high-water mark is well above the level of the flat area
(b) The ocean is turning to ice around them
(c) A village is on the other side of the island
(d) There is no fresh water on the island
6. What do the men lack in the boats that causes problems?
7. Of the following men, who remains behind on the island?
8. How far do Shackleton and the men have to travel in the boat to reach their chosen destination for rescue?
(a) 1300 miles
(b) 800 miles
(c) 500 miles
(d) 100 miles
9. What do the men need to do almost constantly in the boat?
(a) Fill holes
(c) Pump water
(d) Move from side to side
10. What happens to Blackboro?
(a) Another man kills him
(b) His feet freeze
(c) He dies of starvation
(d) He falls overboard
11. Shackleton and his men suffer from what?
(a) Tropical fever
(b) Trench foot
12. What do the men wrap around the hut to keep it warmer?
(a) Seal hides
13. What day do the men land again on South Georgia Island?
(a) August 21, 1916
(b) February 15, 1912
(c) May 10, 1916
(d) October 27, 1912
14. The men find that their final cask of water is tainted with what?
(c) Seal blubber
15. The famous Cape Horn Rollers can get how high?
(a) Twenty feet
(b) Ninety feet
(c) Ten feet
(d) One hundred fifty feet
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal is in relative abundance on the island?
2. Which man is chosen to accompany Shackleton because of his navigation and small-boat abilities?
3. How many men go with Shackleton on the escape attempt?
4. Who leads Vincent and McCarthy on the second watch?
5. What direction do the men start out going after they leave Elephant Island?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)