|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many nautical miles do the men travel in the boats?
2. What does Shackleton do the first night after they leave Elephant Island?
(b) Turns around and goes back
(c) Fish off the side of the boat
(d) Discuss the situation with Worsley
3. What does Blackboro lose?
(a) His left foot
(b) His command
(c) An eye
(d) A picture of his wife
4. In the boats, the men suffer from what?
(b) Freezing temperatures
(c) Food poisoning
(d) Low winds
5. Why is Elephant Island named what it is?
(a) The beach is shaped like an elephant's ear
(b) For the elephant seals living there
(c) The first person there liked elephants
(d) One of the rocky cliffs is shaped like an elephant's trunk
6. How big is the beach on the island?
(a) 100 feet by 50 feet
(b) 500 feet by 300 feet
(c) 200 feet by 150 feet
(d) 20 feet by 30 feet
7. Whose navigational skills does Shackleton have to trust in?
8. What direction do the men start out going after they leave Elephant Island?
9. When the men try to reach land the first time, how high are the breakers in the surf tide?
(a) 20 feet
(b) 5 feet
(c) 40 feet
(d) 12 feet
10. The men are sailing west, but in what direction do they find themselves going?
11. With what boat do the men attempt their escape?
(a) James Caird
(b) Willard Daniels
(c) Stancomb Willis
(d) Dudley Docker
12. How many men go with Shackleton on the escape attempt?
13. Which destination does Shackleton decide to try to reach?
(a) Wild Island
(b) Danger Island
(c) Paulett Island
(d) South Georgia Island
14. How do the men spend their time in the boat?
(a) Fishing off the side
(b) Discussing politics
(c) Chipping away ice
(d) Playing bridge
15. What do the men wrap around the hut to keep it warmer?
(a) Seal hides
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men see when the fog lifts?
2. What do the men realize on their first morning on the island?
3. By late August, how do the men feel about their chance of rescue?
4. Who leads Vincent and McCarthy on the second watch?
5. How long had it been since the men had stood on solid ground?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)