|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Shackleton feel about relying on Worsley?
2. How far do the men have to row to get to the island?
(a) Twenty miles
(b) Two miles
(c) Seven miles
(d) Fifteen miles
3. What almost overturns the boats when they are first launched?
(a) A pressure ridge
(b) A leopard seal
(c) A tide rip
(d) A whale
4. The famous Cape Horn Rollers can get how high?
(a) One hundred fifty feet
(b) Ten feet
(c) Twenty feet
(d) Ninety feet
5. Which crew member refuses to work?
6. When do Shackleton and the men depart in the boat to try to reach civilization?
7. How big is the beach on the island?
(a) 100 feet by 50 feet
(b) 20 feet by 30 feet
(c) 500 feet by 300 feet
(d) 200 feet by 150 feet
8. When the men try to reach land the first time, how high are the breakers in the surf tide?
(a) 5 feet
(b) 40 feet
(c) 12 feet
(d) 20 feet
9. Which boat is towed by another?
(a) Dudley Docker
(b) Stancomb Wills
(c) James Caird
(d) Willard Leeds
10. Why is Elephant Island named what it is?
(a) The first person there liked elephants
(b) One of the rocky cliffs is shaped like an elephant's trunk
(c) The beach is shaped like an elephant's ear
(d) For the elephant seals living there
11. The men find that their final cask of water is tainted with what?
(c) Seal blubber
12. Of the following men, who remains behind on the island?
13. What do the men realize on their first morning on the island?
(a) A village is on the other side of the island
(b) The high-water mark is well above the level of the flat area
(c) The ocean is turning to ice around them
(d) There is no fresh water on the island
14. What is the most dreaded bit of ocean on the planet?
(a) Berring Sea
(b) Cape of Good Hope
(c) Drake Passage
(d) Panama Canel
15. What does Shackleton decide to do once the new camp is established?
(a) Take some men in one of the boats and try to get to civilization
(b) Wait for rescue
(c) Build a signal fire
(d) Try to reach South America in the boats
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men lack in the boats that causes problems?
2. Whose navigational skills does Shackleton have to trust in?
3. What happens to Blackboro?
4. How long do the men decide that the normal watches will be?
5. Who is left in charge of the remaining crew?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)