|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had it been since the men had stood on solid ground?
(a) 497 days
(b) 321 days
(c) 613 days
(d) 569 days
2. By late August, how do the men feel about their chance of rescue?
3. When do Shackleton and the men depart in the boat to try to reach civilization?
4. How far does the boat travel in the first six days?
(a) 60 miles
(b) 238 miles
(c) 547 miles
(d) 104 miles
5. What date is assigned as an improbable return date for Shackleton?
(a) Mid December
(b) Mid July
(c) Late May
(d) Early October
6. Who is left in charge of the remaining crew?
7. What do the men see when the fog lifts?
(a) A glacier
(b) A whale
(d) A large ice floe
8. From where do the men get fresh water?
(a) A glacier
(b) By collecting rainwater
(c) A small stream by the beach
(d) A waterfall down one of the cliffs
9. What do the men need to do almost constantly in the boat?
(b) Pump water
(c) Fill holes
(d) Move from side to side
10. How far do Shackleton and the men have to travel in the boat to reach their chosen destination for rescue?
(a) 100 miles
(b) 800 miles
(c) 500 miles
(d) 1300 miles
11. What do the men lack in the boats that causes problems?
12. What do the men realize on their first morning on the island?
(a) The high-water mark is well above the level of the flat area
(b) A village is on the other side of the island
(c) The ocean is turning to ice around them
(d) There is no fresh water on the island
13. What do the men wrap around the hut to keep it warmer?
(d) Seal hides
14. How far do the men have to row to get to the island?
(a) Two miles
(b) Fifteen miles
(c) Twenty miles
(d) Seven miles
15. Shackleton and his men suffer from what?
(a) Trench foot
(d) Tropical fever
Short Answer Questions
1. In the boats, the men suffer from what?
2. What animal is in relative abundance on the island?
3. What is the most dreaded bit of ocean on the planet?
4. How big is the beach on the island?
5. Which boat gets separated from the others?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)