|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do the men decide that the normal watches will be?
(a) One hour
(b) Twelve hours
(c) Four hours
(d) Eight hours
2. Which boat does Shackleton use for the escape attempt?
(a) James Caird
(b) Stancomb Willis
(c) Dudley Docker
(d) Daniel Wesley
3. How far does the boat travel in the first six days?
(a) 104 miles
(b) 547 miles
(c) 238 miles
(d) 60 miles
4. How does Shackleton feel about relying on Worsley?
5. What happens to Blackboro?
(a) Another man kills him
(b) He dies of starvation
(c) His feet freeze
(d) He falls overboard
6. What is the camp on Elephant Island known as?
(a) Rocky Camp
(b) Ocean Camp II
(c) Stranded Camp
(d) Wild Camp
7. What do the men see when the fog lifts?
(a) A large ice floe
(c) A whale
(d) A glacier
8. Which boat is the most manageable?
(a) Stancomb Wills
(b) James Caird
(c) Willard Leeds
(d) Dudley Docker
9. How long does it take the men to find a relatively secure spot for their camp?
(a) None; the beach they are on will do
(b) Nine hours
(c) Two days
(d) Two hours
10. How far do Shackleton and the men have to travel in the boat to reach their chosen destination for rescue?
(a) 800 miles
(b) 1300 miles
(c) 100 miles
(d) 500 miles
11. From where do the men get fresh water?
(a) By collecting rainwater
(b) A glacier
(c) A small stream by the beach
(d) A waterfall down one of the cliffs
12. Once they get close to the island, for what do the men search?
(b) A suitable landing place
(c) Fresh water
13. How many boats do the men travel in?
14. What do the men wrap around the hut to keep it warmer?
(a) Seal hides
15. The famous Cape Horn Rollers can get how high?
(a) One hundred fifty feet
(b) Ten feet
(c) Ninety feet
(d) Twenty feet
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men need to do almost constantly in the boat?
2. What runs out, causing the men to look for combustible items?
3. What word best describes the experience of the men in the boat?
4. Why is Elephant Island named what it is?
5. Of the following men, who remains behind on the island?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)