|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Shackleton and the men depart in the boat to try to reach civilization?
2. What do the men realize on their first morning on the island?
(a) The high-water mark is well above the level of the flat area
(b) There is no fresh water on the island
(c) The ocean is turning to ice around them
(d) A village is on the other side of the island
3. From where do the men get fresh water?
(a) A waterfall down one of the cliffs
(b) By collecting rainwater
(c) A small stream by the beach
(d) A glacier
4. What surrounds the beach on the island?
(a) Vertical cliffs
(b) Ice floes
5. The men find that their final cask of water is tainted with what?
(b) Seal blubber
6. How do the men spend their time in the boat?
(a) Chipping away ice
(b) Fishing off the side
(c) Discussing politics
(d) Playing bridge
7. What do the men use as a base for their crude hut?
(a) Beach sand
8. What is the most dreaded bit of ocean on the planet?
(a) Drake Passage
(b) Panama Canel
(c) Berring Sea
(d) Cape of Good Hope
9. What animal is in relative abundance on the island?
10. How far do the men have to row to get to the island?
(a) Seven miles
(b) Fifteen miles
(c) Twenty miles
(d) Two miles
11. About 250 miles from South Georgia Island, a rogue wave breaks what?
(a) The compass
(b) The rudder
(c) The water jug
(d) Vincent's arm
12. What is used as a roof on the crude hut?
(a) The two boats
(b) The sails
(c) Seal hides
13. What does Shackleton do the first night after they leave Elephant Island?
(a) Turns around and goes back
(b) Discuss the situation with Worsley
(c) Fish off the side of the boat
14. What do the men do after they arrive on South Georgia Island?
(a) Wash their clothes in a stream
(b) Kill a seal for food
(c) Create a hut
(d) Find a brook and drink
15. Who is left in charge of the remaining crew?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the men finally land with the boats?
2. What does Blackboro lose?
3. How many men go with Shackleton on the escape attempt?
4. What do the men wrap around the hut to keep it warmer?
5. The men are sailing west, but in what direction do they find themselves going?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)