|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how long are the boats?
(a) Twelve feet
(b) Twenty-two feet
(c) Forty feet
(d) Six feet
2. What do the men need to do almost constantly in the boat?
(a) Move from side to side
(b) Pump water
(c) Fill holes
3. How do the men warm their hands from the trip to the new camp?
(a) By wrapping them in scarves
(b) By huddling together
(c) In the guts of freshly killed seals
(d) In the hot springs near the camp
4. From where do the men get fresh water?
(a) A glacier
(b) A waterfall down one of the cliffs
(c) By collecting rainwater
(d) A small stream by the beach
5. Where do the men spend the first night?
(a) On a pressure ridge
(b) On a small piece of land
(c) On an ice floe
(d) In the boats
6. Most of the men suffer from what?
(b) Seal poisoning
7. How many boats do the men travel in?
8. What do the men lack in the boats that causes problems?
9. When the men try to reach land the first time, how high are the breakers in the surf tide?
(a) 40 feet
(b) 12 feet
(c) 5 feet
(d) 20 feet
10. What animal is in relative abundance on the island?
11. How does Shackleton feel about relying on Worsley?
12. What does Shackleton decide to do once the new camp is established?
(a) Build a signal fire
(b) Wait for rescue
(c) Try to reach South America in the boats
(d) Take some men in one of the boats and try to get to civilization
13. What do the men see when the fog lifts?
(b) A large ice floe
(c) A whale
(d) A glacier
14. What is the camp on Elephant Island known as?
(a) Wild Camp
(b) Ocean Camp II
(c) Rocky Camp
(d) Stranded Camp
15. Which man is chosen to accompany Shackleton because of his navigation and small-boat abilities?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is left in charge of the remaining crew?
2. How big is the beach on the island?
3. About 250 miles from South Georgia Island, a rogue wave breaks what?
4. What word best describes the conditions in the hut?
5. How many nautical miles do the men travel in the boats?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)