|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The crew forms social organizations based on what?
(b) Positions in the crew
(d) Tent groups
2. Why is one of the dog teams killed?
(a) They are ill
(b) For the men to eat
(c) To conserve food
(d) To stop dog aggression
3. Why did individuals want to be a part of Shackleton's expedition?
(a) To escape prison
(b) Good wages
(c) Potential adventure and renown
(d) Possible treasure
4. How old is Shackleton at the start of the third voyage?
5. What word best describes the pay for individuals on the voyage?
6. How much meat does the crew collect by the end of April?
(a) One ton
(b) Two and a half tons
(c) Five tons
7. What game do the men play in camp?
8. Who works on the ship's three boats?
9. What happens toward the end of November?
(a) Shackleton dies
(b) The crew stages a mutiny
(c) The Endurance sinks
(d) The dogs die
10. The Endurance is designed to sail with what?
(b) Strong winds
11. What is the temperature in June?
(a) -17 degrees Fahrenheit
(b) 0 degrees Fahrenheit
(c) 32 degrees Fahrenheit
(d) 45 degrees Fahrenheit
12. What do Shackleton and the crew realize about the ice?
(a) They'll have to walk across it to the pole
(b) It is more or less permanent
(c) The Endurance can break through all but the thickest ice
(d) It will go away the following spring
13. What do the men discover about the new camp?
(a) It is not big enough for the sledges
(b) The ice floe is unstable
(c) The ice is strong and permanent
(d) There are many seals in the area
14. What do the men name the camp they create after trying the sledges for the first time?
(a) Ocean Camp
(b) Death Camp
(c) Misery Camp
(d) Endurance Camp
15. After the end of February, at what task does the ship's crew work?
(a) Burying the dead
(b) Gathering firewood
(c) Reinforcing the ship's walls
(d) Trying to free the ship from the ice
Short Answer Questions
1. How far did the men go with the sledges, of the 200 that they needed to do?
2. When does Shackleton decide to try the sledges again?
3. Which word best describes the progress across the pack ice?
4. Clarence Island is how many miles north of Patience Camp
5. What occurs in October 1915?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)