|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men name the camp they create after trying the sledges for the first time?
(a) Endurance Camp
(b) Ocean Camp
(c) Death Camp
(d) Misery Camp
2. Who builds a ten-foot high cofferdam in the aft?
3. How many boats do the men take with them on the sledges?
4. The Endurance gets to within 200 miles of Vahsel Bay by when?
(b) June 1
(d) March 30
5. Who works on the ship's three boats?
6. Why is one of the dog teams killed?
(a) To stop dog aggression
(b) To conserve food
(c) They are ill
(d) For the men to eat
7. Where was the route supposed to start from in the first expedition of Shackleton's proposed trans-Antarctic expedition?
(a) Vahsel Bay
(b) Prudhoe Bay
(c) Lake Superior
(d) Bay of Fundy
8. Shackleton's second voyage got how close to the pole?
(a) 97 miles
(b) 2 miles
(c) 500 miles
(d) 56 miles
9. What do the men do the first few days after abandoning ship?
(a) Sit in depression
(b) Transfer goods off the ship
(c) Scout for whales
(d) Build a shack
10. Before Shackleton renamed her Endurance, what was his ship known as?
(a) Santa Maria
11. Who stows away on the ship in order to become a crew member?
(a) Edmund Randolph
(c) Francis Drake
12. How much meat does the crew collect by the end of April?
(b) One ton
(c) Five tons
(d) Two and a half tons
13. Toward the end of March, what land is sighted?
(a) Danger Islets
(b) Weddell Island
(c) Paulet Island
(d) Patience Islets
14. Why does Shackleton stop the men from retrieving the three seals that they kill?
(a) The ice is too dangerous where the seals are
(b) A polar bear is not far away
(c) He doesn't want them eating seal meat
(d) He wants to get them himself
15. How old is Shackleton at the start of the third voyage?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on April 9?
2. What is the third boat named, which is recovered from Ocean Camp?
3. For what are the dogs used?
4. What occurs in October 1915?
5. Why did individuals want to be a part of Shackleton's expedition?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)