|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ever present in the camps?
2. The Endurance gets to within 200 miles of Vahsel Bay by when?
(a) March 30
(b) June 1
3. What personal items are salvaged after the first sledging attempt?
(b) Photographic equipment
(c) Carved masks
4. What do the men discover about the new camp?
(a) There are many seals in the area
(b) The ice floe is unstable
(c) The ice is strong and permanent
(d) It is not big enough for the sledges
5. Shackleton's second voyage earns him what?
(b) A castle
(d) His own ship
6. What are the men dependent on while they are on the pack ice?
(a) Their oars
(b) The stars
(c) The height of the waves
(d) The motion and direction of the ice
7. What word best describes the first camp?
8. Why is one of the dog teams killed?
(a) To stop dog aggression
(b) They are ill
(c) For the men to eat
(d) To conserve food
9. What does McNeish do to the three boats?
(a) Reinforce them
(b) Make them more comfortable
(c) Paint them
(d) Expand them
10. How many boats do the men take with them on the sledges?
11. What is the second camp called?
(a) Mark Time Camp
(b) Eternity Camp
(c) Frozen Ice Camp
(d) Waiting Camp
12. After the end of February, at what task does the ship's crew work?
(a) Burying the dead
(b) Trying to free the ship from the ice
(c) Gathering firewood
(d) Reinforcing the ship's walls
13. What causes clashes in the camp?
(a) The lack of food
(b) The various personalities
(c) The progress the men make with the sledges
(d) Whether to stay on the ice floe or not
14. How far away is Paulet Island from the Endurance?
(a) 97 miles
(b) 350 miles
(c) 230 miles
(d) 54 miles
15. How far are the men from Paulet Island?
(a) 500 miles
(b) 350 miles
(c) 10 miles
(d) 100 miles
Short Answer Questions
1. Shackleton's second voyage got how close to the pole?
2. What do the men find that occupies their time?
3. Where is a known cache of food and supplies?
4. What begins to build up around the Endurance that worries the men?
5. Who gives funds to Shackleton's expedition
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)