|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the men attempt to move with the sledges, who refuses to go on until Shackleton intervenes?
2. What game do the men play in camp?
3. What occurs in October 1915?
(a) Shackleton dies
(b) Shackleton finally reaches the pole
(c) The men free the ship
(d) The Endurance begins to take on water
4. Who builds a ten-foot high cofferdam in the aft?
5. What is ever present in the camps?
6. What are the men able to salvage?
(a) Three boats
(b) Sixteen chickens
(c) A cannon
(d) Rain buckets
7. Mortgaging the expedition means what?
(a) Agreeing to pay back the amount loaned or the ship could be repossessed
(b) Putting up the ship and supplies as collatoral
(c) Selling in advance the rights to whatever commercial exploitation the expedition might produce
(d) Putting the expedition into debt by buying supplies
8. Who works on the ship's three boats?
9. How much personal gear can each man take?
(a) Seven pounds
(b) Two pounds
(c) Fifteen pounds
(d) Ten pounds
10. The crew forms social organizations based on what?
(b) Tent groups
(c) Positions in the crew
11. What are the men dependent on while they are on the pack ice?
(a) The height of the waves
(b) The motion and direction of the ice
(c) Their oars
(d) The stars
12. What happens toward the end of November?
(a) Shackleton dies
(b) The crew stages a mutiny
(c) The dogs die
(d) The Endurance sinks
13. What quality best describes the men that Shackleton choose for his expedition?
14. How far are the men from Paulet Island?
(a) 10 miles
(b) 100 miles
(c) 350 miles
(d) 500 miles
15. What is the temperature in June?
(a) -17 degrees Fahrenheit
(b) 32 degrees Fahrenheit
(c) 0 degrees Fahrenheit
(d) 45 degrees Fahrenheit
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the men camp after abandoning the ship?
2. How far did the men go with the sledges, of the 200 that they needed to do?
3. What do the men name the camp they create after trying the sledges for the first time?
4. What personal items are salvaged after the first sledging attempt?
5. What do Shackleton and the crew realize about the ice?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)