|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives funds to Shackleton's expedition
(a) Dudley Docker
(b) Teddy Roosevelt
(c) Benjamin Franklin
(d) Edmund Hillary
2. Shackleton is which of the following?
(a) A whaler
(b) A doctor
(c) A ship builder
(d) A polar explorer
3. What word best describes the pay for individuals on the voyage?
4. How far did the men go with the sledges, of the 200 that they needed to do?
(a) One mile
(b) One hundred miles
(c) Nine miles
(d) Twenty-five miles
5. How old is Shackleton at the start of the third voyage?
6. What do Shackleton and the crew realize about the ice?
(a) It will go away the following spring
(b) They'll have to walk across it to the pole
(c) It is more or less permanent
(d) The Endurance can break through all but the thickest ice
7. Which crew member doesn't fit in with the others?
8. What are the men dependent on while they are on the pack ice?
(a) The motion and direction of the ice
(b) The height of the waves
(c) Their oars
(d) The stars
9. What game do the men play in camp?
10. Why does Shackleton stop the men from retrieving the three seals that they kill?
(a) A polar bear is not far away
(b) The ice is too dangerous where the seals are
(c) He wants to get them himself
(d) He doesn't want them eating seal meat
11. Where was the route supposed to start from in the first expedition of Shackleton's proposed trans-Antarctic expedition?
(a) Prudhoe Bay
(b) Lake Superior
(c) Vahsel Bay
(d) Bay of Fundy
12. Where does Shackleton sail after Buenos Aires?
(b) Cape Town
(d) South Georgia Island
13. The Endurance gets to within 200 miles of Vahsel Bay by when?
(a) June 1
(c) March 30
14. What was the name of Shackleton's sailing vessel?
15. What quality best describes the men that Shackleton choose for his expedition?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes clashes in the camp?
2. How many pounds of meat does the leopard seal provide?
3. What does the crew realize as they make their way with the sledges?
4. Shackleton's first voyage is under whose leadership?
5. What are the men able to salvage?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)