|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pounds of meat does the leopard seal provide?
(a) 5000 pounds
(b) 100 pounds
(c) 500 pounds
(d) 1000 pounds
2. Who gives funds to Shackleton's expedition
(a) Dudley Docker
(b) Benjamin Franklin
(c) Edmund Hillary
(d) Teddy Roosevelt
3. What quality best describes the men that Shackleton choose for his expedition?
4. Mortgaging the expedition means what?
(a) Selling in advance the rights to whatever commercial exploitation the expedition might produce
(b) Putting the expedition into debt by buying supplies
(c) Putting up the ship and supplies as collatoral
(d) Agreeing to pay back the amount loaned or the ship could be repossessed
5. What is ever present in the camps?
6. How much personal gear can each man take?
(a) Fifteen pounds
(b) Two pounds
(c) Seven pounds
(d) Ten pounds
7. Where was the route supposed to start from in the first expedition of Shackleton's proposed trans-Antarctic expedition?
(a) Lake Superior
(b) Prudhoe Bay
(c) Bay of Fundy
(d) Vahsel Bay
8. How far did the men go with the sledges, of the 200 that they needed to do?
(a) One hundred miles
(b) Twenty-five miles
(c) One mile
(d) Nine miles
9. Who shoots the first dog team to be killed?
10. Where does Shackleton sail after Buenos Aires?
(c) South Georgia Island
(d) Cape Town
11. What is the second camp called?
(a) Mark Time Camp
(b) Eternity Camp
(c) Frozen Ice Camp
(d) Waiting Camp
12. Shackleton's second voyage got how close to the pole?
(a) 500 miles
(b) 2 miles
(c) 56 miles
(d) 97 miles
13. How much meat does the crew collect by the end of April?
(a) One ton
(b) Five tons
(d) Two and a half tons
14. Why does Shackleton move the food stores near his tent?
(a) To assert his leadership
(b) To get first choice
(c) To prevent theft
(d) To protect it from bears
15. The Endurance is designed to sail with what?
(d) Strong winds
Short Answer Questions
1. Who builds a ten-foot high cofferdam in the aft?
2. Where does Shackleton head for final provisioning?
3. Shackleton's second voyage earns him what?
4. How far are the men from Paulet Island?
5. Who stows away on the ship in order to become a crew member?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)