|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is one of the dog teams killed?
(a) To conserve food
(b) To stop dog aggression
(c) For the men to eat
(d) They are ill
2. What is ever present in the camps?
3. What is the third boat named, which is recovered from Ocean Camp?
(a) Dancing Sailor
(b) The Red Vessel
(c) Dogfight Boat
(d) Stancomb Wills
4. Shackleton's first voyage is under whose leadership?
(a) Christopher Columbus
(b) Edmund Hillary
(c) Francis Drake
(d) Robert F. Scott
5. What is the main event in Chapter 1?
(a) The sinking of the Endurance by a hurricane
(b) The death of Shackleton and the crew
(c) The final push to the pole
(d) The crushing of the Endurance by the ice pack
6. What word best describes the pay for individuals on the voyage?
7. What are the men dependent on while they are on the pack ice?
(a) The height of the waves
(b) The motion and direction of the ice
(c) Their oars
(d) The stars
8. Who gives funds to Shackleton's expedition
(a) Dudley Docker
(b) Edmund Hillary
(c) Teddy Roosevelt
(d) Benjamin Franklin
9. Who builds a ten-foot high cofferdam in the aft?
10. Where did the men camp after abandoning the ship?
(a) A pressure ridge
(b) In a stand of trees nearby
(c) An ice floe
(d) A shack about two miles away
11. By April, what surrounds Patience Camp?
(a) Pressure ridges
(b) Leopard seals
(c) Leads of open water
(d) Islets of land
12. The Endurance gets to within 200 miles of Vahsel Bay by when?
(a) March 30
(c) June 1
13. Shackleton's second voyage earns him what?
(b) A castle
(c) His own ship
14. What do Shackleton and the crew realize about the ice?
(a) It will go away the following spring
(b) They'll have to walk across it to the pole
(c) The Endurance can break through all but the thickest ice
(d) It is more or less permanent
15. What does Shackleton insist must be abandoned?
(a) The three boats
(b) Nonessential items
(c) The heavy cooking items
(d) The dogs
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shackleton acknowledge as the men try to make it across the pack ice?
2. When does Shackleton decide to try the sledges again?
3. The crew forms social organizations based on what?
4. How much meat does the crew collect by the end of April?
5. What do the men name the camp they create after trying the sledges for the first time?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)