|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Major Anderson react to Ender’s strategy in the practice battle?
2. What army does Bean force to defend Ender?
3. What is Bean’s response to Graff’s questions about Bean’s knowledge?
4. How is Ender feeling and acting at the last battle?
5. How could Bean be related to Nikolai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carlotta discover about Bean’s parents, and what do they tell her as to how Bean might have been conceived?
2. Why do Ender and Bean have a confrontation in Chapter 13?
3. What do members of the Salamander army threaten and what does Bean do when he sees them?
4. What does Bean discover about the key to fighting the Buggers and how is the war going?
5. What does Achilles think about doing to Bean in Chapter 17 and why?
6. What does Bean do with the Rabbit Army in Chapter 21, and why does he do it?
7. How does Ender organize his army and how do the members feel about the way he does it?
8. What does Carlotta learn about the biological relationship between Volescu and Bean?
9. What does Bean do on the way to Tactical School and what is the team taught at Tactical School?
10. How does the schedule of practices change, and how does the Dragon army win a battle in less than a minute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two.
What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven or action driven? Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why? Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character are developed to the same degree? Why or why not? What type of plot do you think Ender’s Shadow is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Sister Carlotta seems to be a kind and caring person even though she recruits children for the military.
Discuss the dichotomy between Carlotta recruiting children for a military, which may or may not harm them, and the fact that she also seems to care about the children.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels.
Compare/contrast the characters of Bean and Ender. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Achilles and Nikolai. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)