|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was produced by the first implanted eggs the Delphikis created?
2. What position does Bean fill in his new army that Anderson transfered him to?
3. What does Bean do as he is flown to Tactical School?
4. What does Bean find out about Achilles when Bean arrives at his new army in Chapter 18?
5. Where in the battle room is the "enemy gate"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Ender and Bean taken out of the Dragon Army?
2. What does Carlotta discover about Bean’s parents, and what do they tell her as to how Bean might have been conceived?
3. What does Bean discover about the key to fighting the Buggers and how is the war going?
4. What does Bean learn about Achilles at the Battle School, and how do Bean and Achilles get along?
5. Where is the Command School located, and what does Bean suspect about the team’s training?
6. What does Graff tell Carlotta about Achilles?
7. How does the final confrontation between Ender and Bonzo take place and what happens?
8. What does Bean do with the Rabbit Army in Chapter 21, and why does he do it?
9. What does Carlotta learn about the biological relationship between Volescu and Bean?
10. What is an ansible and how is it used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace and analyze the theme of freedom in Ender’s Shadow. Consider the following questions as you write: Examine which characters are most concerned with freedom and about what their concern is centered. What are some symbols of freedom and of imprisonment? Discuss the characters who see themselves as "imprisoned" and what they think they need to be free.
Trace and analyze the theme of satisfaction with one’s life in Ender’s Shadow. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess be satisfied with their life and which are not? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels.
Compare/contrast the characters of Bean and Ender. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Achilles and Nikolai. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 3
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Ender’s Shadow, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)