|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Rabbit army lose battles?
2. To where is Ender promoted in Chapter 18?
3. How does Ender use some of this soldiers in a practice battle in Chapter 18?
4. What was done to the rooms and halls of the Command School?
5. How does Bean exhibit his powers of persuasion in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an ansible and how is it used?
2. Why are Ender and Bean taken out of the Dragon Army?
3. What does Graff tell the team about the war after Ender’s last battle and what do they hear in the Command School?
4. What does Carlotta discover about Bean’s parents, and what do they tell her as to how Bean might have been conceived?
5. What does Graff tell Carlotta about Achilles?
6. How does Bean set up Achilles to be submitted to justice?
7. Where is the Command School located, and what does Bean suspect about the team’s training?
8. What does Bean do with his toon at the beginning of Chapter 17 and what does Bean ask Graff?
9. What is the final situation with the Russians, and what happens to the children after the war?
10. How does the schedule of practices change, and how does the Dragon army win a battle in less than a minute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Ender’s Shadow, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
Essay Topic 2
Although the battle is a victory for earth, the entire fleet is killed to achieve it.
Do you think Ender sacrificing the entire fleet was the right choice? Do you think if Bean had been the leader he would have been able to do the same as Ender? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sister Carlotta seems to be a kind and caring person even though she recruits children for the military.
Discuss the dichotomy between Carlotta recruiting children for a military, which may or may not harm them, and the fact that she also seems to care about the children.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)