|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bean observe after leaving the conference between Graff and Dimak?
2. What is the name of the Captain who confronts Bean in Chapter 5?
3. What does Bean realize about the floor vents in the ventilation system?
4. How do the students get to the lower levels of the space station?
5. Why does Bean need to do what he decides after realizing the floor vents are not useful?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bean find information about Ender in Chapter 11, and why does Bean want that information?
2. What is Bean’s first encounter with a Battle School officer?
3. How does Bean discover that Achilles is a murderer?
4. Where does Poke live and how does she meet Bean?
5. What does Dimak’s superior tell Dimak about Bean, and what is Dimak’s response?
6. How does Bean meet Bonzo? Who is Bonzo?
7. What does Bean do with the school records of other students in Chapter 11?
8. What does Bean learn when he enters the ventilation system again and what does he decide to do?
9. How does Carlotta begin to investigate Bean’s origins and what does she think it might be?
10. What does Dimak do with the new students when they first arrive on the Battle School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ender’s Shadow belongs to the science fiction genre.
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the science fiction genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a science fiction and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about what they know, and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting.
Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Orson Scott Card. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Card's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Card's probable agenda concerning that idea.
Essay Topic 3
Buggers and humans live in very different societies.
Discuss the differences between Bugger and human societies including the advantages and disadvantages of both societies.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)