|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Carlotta learn about Bean's DNA?
2. Why does the IF officer target Bean in Chapter 5?
3. With whom is Captain Dimak speaking in the opening to Chapter 6?
4. What is a launchy?
5. What does Bean witness on his way to Battle School in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first two things that Bean sees while using the ventilation system?
2. How does Bean meet Bonzo? Who is Bonzo?
3. Who does Helga Braun contact regarding Poke’s gang and what does that person do when she comes to see the gang?
4. What does Carlotta learn from Anton about Bean’s DNA?
5. Who does Bean tell about Achilles being a murderer, and what is Carlotta’s final decision concerning Bean and Achilles?
6. How does Carlotta learn more about Bean?
7. What is Bean’s first encounter with a Battle School officer?
8. What does Dimak’s superior tell Dimak about Bean, and what is Dimak’s response?
9. What does Carlotta learn about Bean’s growth rate?
10. With whom does Carlotta talk about the experiment done on Bean and how does she get the information out of the man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the battle is a victory for earth, the entire fleet is killed to achieve it.
Do you think Ender sacrificing the entire fleet was the right choice? Do you think if Bean had been the leader he would have been able to do the same as Ender? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Ender’s Shadow interesting.
Thoroughly discuss and analyze Bean. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he usually likable? Seldom likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas. Use the same criteria to thoroughly discuss and analyze Ender.
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two.
What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven or action driven? Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why? Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character are developed to the same degree? Why or why not? What type of plot do you think Ender’s Shadow is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)