|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Bean and the new students go after being shown their quarters?
2. What does Colonel Graff talk to Captain Dimak about concerning Bean?
3. What was different about the eggs Volescu fertilized?
4. What second thoughts does Bean have about Achilles?
5. Who realizes how the adults keep tab on the students?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Poke do with Bean, and what does he suggest to her?
2. What does Bean do when introduced to his desk, and why does it do that?
3. How does Bean find information about Ender in Chapter 11, and why does Bean want that information?
4. How does Carlotta discover where Bean lived before being a member of Poke, and where did Bean live?
5. What does Colonel Graff do when he reads Bean’s diary entry about Achilles?
6. What does Dimak do with the new students when they first arrive on the Battle School?
7. How does Achilles begin to insinuate himself into the group as the leader in Chapter 2?
8. What does Carlotta discover about Bean, and what does she think of her discovery?
9. Why might Graff decide to have Bean lead the next battle against the Buggers?
10. How does Carlotta begin to investigate Bean’s origins and what does she think it might be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the battle is a victory for earth, the entire fleet is killed to achieve it.
Do you think Ender sacrificing the entire fleet was the right choice? Do you think if Bean had been the leader he would have been able to do the same as Ender? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character.
Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not? Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Ender’s Shadow help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Ender’s Shadow? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Trace and analyze the theme of freedom in Ender’s Shadow. Consider the following questions as you write: Examine which characters are most concerned with freedom and about what their concern is centered. What are some symbols of freedom and of imprisonment? Discuss the characters who see themselves as "imprisoned" and what they think they need to be free.
Trace and analyze the theme of satisfaction with one’s life in Ender’s Shadow. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess be satisfied with their life and which are not? Why?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)