|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dimak's reply to the warning he is given in Chapter 6?
2. What does Bean witness on his way to Battle School in Chapter 5?
3. How does Bean get his name?
4. What does Sister Carlotta discover Bean can do that the other members of his crew cannot?
5. Who does Helga Braun contact?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Carlotta talk about the experiment done on Bean and how does she get the information out of the man?
2. How does Bean end up on Ender’s team, and what does he do that Ender does not know?
3. What does Dimak’s superior tell Dimak about Bean, and what is Dimak’s response?
4. Who does Bean tell about Achilles being a murderer, and what is Carlotta’s final decision concerning Bean and Achilles?
5. How does Bean meet Bonzo? Who is Bonzo?
6. How does Bean find out about other areas of the Battle School and what happens to him while he is exploring the Battle School?
7. What does Bean do when introduced to his desk, and why does it do that?
8. What does Carlotta discover about Bean, and what does she think of her discovery?
9. What are the first two things that Bean sees while using the ventilation system?
10. How does Carlotta learn more about Bean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Poke finds Bean on the streets she takes him into her crew. He shows the crew how to work together to get their needs met.
Discuss the ways in which Bean changes the lives of Poke’s crew.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels.
Compare/contrast the characters of Bean and Ender. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Achilles and Nikolai. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two.
What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven or action driven? Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why? Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character are developed to the same degree? Why or why not? What type of plot do you think Ender’s Shadow is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)