|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who unexpectedly comes to visit Henry after Sarah's death?
2. What reason does Henry first give Bendrix for stopping by his apartment?
3. What favor does Henry ask of Bendrix?
4. Who approaches Bendrix as he is researching for his book in the British Museum Reading Room?
5. What happens to Sarah while she is sitting in the church with Bendrix?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes The End of the Affair explores is trust. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The End of the Affair is a primarily first person narrative written from the point of view of Bendrix. Discuss how this fact influences the story? What biases does Bendrix bring to the story? How would the novel be different if another character was telling the story? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Select the most sympathetic and least sympathetic characters in the novel. Write an essay:
1) describing why you think each is sympathetic/not sympathetic
2) defend your position using details from the novel
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)