|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sarah feel about the Spanish church she visits with Henry?
2. Why is Henry disappointed when Sarah does not know what an O.B.E is?
3. Who is Bendrix preparing to write a biography of?
4. What event does Bendrix take as proof Sarah would have wanted to be cremated?
5. Who does Bendrix lash out at after reading Parkis' letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bendrix begins the novel by telling his audience it is a "record of hate." Write an essay:
1) arguing whether or not this statement is true
2) demonstrating the ways that the narrator proves (or disproves) his claim.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The influence of men on Sarah's development is a recurring topic in The End of the Affair. Select two of the following men and discuss the relationship between him and Sarah. Focus your discussion on the ways the the man does or does not influence her development in a positive way. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
3) Richard Smythe
4) Father Crompton
Essay Topic 3
In The End of the Affair, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Parkis, Richard Smythe, Mrs. Bertram or Father Crompton. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)