|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry call Bendrix one morning?
2. Where does Bendrix suggest he and Sarah go away to when she leaves Henry?
3. Why does lunching at Peter Jones give Sarah "a sense of peace"?
4. Why does Sarah go to the Portrait Gallery after lunch with Bendrix?
5. What does Henry give Sarah as a "peace present"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes The End of the Affair explores is the morality (or immorality) of adultery. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In The End of the Affair, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Parkis, Richard Smythe, Mrs. Bertram or Father Crompton. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes The End of the Affair explores is faith (in God and other human beings). Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)