|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah promise to do if Bendrix answers the phone when she calls from Bigwell-on-Sea?
2. What reason does Henry give Sarah for never having had an extra-marital affair?
3. Why does Sarah go out walking in the rain?
4. Which of the following is NOT a reason Bendrix gives for keeping Sarah's funeral at the crematorium?
5. Why does Sarah go walking on the Common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah's journal offers unique insight into a character (Sarah) other than the narrator (Bendrix). Discuss how the author's decision to include another narrator influences the story. How is the story different because of Sarah's journal? What is the significance of the fact that Sarah did not intend for Bendrix to read her journal? How would the novel be different if Sarah told the entire story? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes The End of the Affair explores is the morality (or immorality) of adultery. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Henry and Bendrix's relationship at the end of the novel can be seen as a kind of modern marriage. Write an essay:
1) agreeing or disagreeing with this characterization
2) proving your position through details from the novel.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)