|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Henry first give Bendrix for stopping by his apartment?
2. What does Sarah promise to do if Bendrix answers the phone when she calls from Bigwell-on-Sea?
3. Why does Bendrix conclude that Sarah never read the collection of Thomas Hood poems he finds in her cupboard?
4. What about Richard Smythe does Sarah find beautiful?
5. Which of the following does NOT happen to Sarah while she is out walking late at night?
Essay Topic 1
Bendrix and Sarah's memories of events from their affair are often different. Select two of the scenes that both describe and compare and contrast them. How are they different depending on the narrator? How are they the same? What does this say about a person's memory (especially of an emotionally charged situation)?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The influence of men on Sarah's development is a recurring topic in The End of the Affair. Select two of the following men and discuss the relationship between him and Sarah. Focus your discussion on the ways the the man does or does not influence her development in a positive way. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
3) Richard Smythe
4) Father Crompton
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes The End of the Affair explores is transformation or metamorphosis. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)