|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Sylvia give for her knowledge of the grounds at Golders Green?
2. Why does Sarah write a letter to Henry?
3. What reason does Smythe give Bendrix for no longer speaking on the Common?
4. What does Sarah's mother ask Bendrix for?
5. What does Father Crompton promise to do for Sarah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The inscription at the beginning of the novel is a quote by Leon Bloy which reads "Man has places in his heart which do not yet exist, and into them enters suffering in order that they may have existence."
Discuss the significance of this quote in reference to the novel. How does it fit (or not fit) the novel? Why do you think Graham Greene chose this quote?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes The End of the Affair explores is faith (in God and other human beings). Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In The End of the Affair, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Parkis, Richard Smythe, Mrs. Bertram or Father Crompton. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)