|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Bendrix take as proof Sarah would have wanted to be cremated?
2. Why is Henry disappointed when Sarah does not know what an O.B.E is?
3. What topic does Waterbury want Bendrix's opinion on for his article?
4. What example does Bendrix use to try and convince Henry God is fictional?
5. What does Sarah's mother ask Bendrix for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes The End of the Affair explores is faith (in God and other human beings). Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The End of the Affair is a primarily first person narrative written from the point of view of Bendrix. Discuss how this fact influences the story? What biases does Bendrix bring to the story? How would the novel be different if another character was telling the story? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Sarah's journal offers unique insight into a character (Sarah) other than the narrator (Bendrix). Discuss how the author's decision to include another narrator influences the story. How is the story different because of Sarah's journal? What is the significance of the fact that Sarah did not intend for Bendrix to read her journal? How would the novel be different if Sarah told the entire story? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)