Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Parkis visit the Reading Room?
2. Why does Sarah not want to leave her home the night Bendrix calls?
3. Why does Bendrix break his date with Sylvia?
4. Why is Waterbury surprised when Sylvia offers to escort Bendrix to Sarah's funeral?
5. What prevents Sarah from kissing Bendrix after their lunch at Rules?
The inscription at the beginning of the novel is a quote by Leon Bloy which reads "Man has places in his heart which do not yet exist, and into them enters suffering in order that they may have existence."
Discuss the significance of this quote in reference to the novel. How does it fit (or not fit) the novel? Why do you think Graham Greene chose this quote?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Select the most sympathetic and least sympathetic characters in the novel. Write an essay:
1) describing why you think each is sympathetic/not sympathetic
2) defend your position using details from the novel
Throughout The End of the Affair, Graham Greene juxtaposes scenes from the past with the narrator's present life. Select one of the chapters where he does this and:
1) Describe the past and present scenes presented in the chapter
2) Discuss the relationship between the two scenes. What do the two scenes have to do with each other? Why does Greene choose to place these two scenes from different time periods within the same chapter?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)