Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Parkis visit the Reading Room?
2. Why does Sarah not want to leave her home the night Bendrix calls?
3. Why does Bendrix break his date with Sylvia?
4. Why is Waterbury surprised when Sylvia offers to escort Bendrix to Sarah's funeral?
5. What prevents Sarah from kissing Bendrix after their lunch at Rules?
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes The End of the Affair explores is the morality (or immorality) of adultery. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Henry and Bendrix's relationship at the end of the novel can be seen as a kind of modern marriage. Write an essay:
1) agreeing or disagreeing with this characterization
2) proving your position through details from the novel.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In The End of the Affair, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Parkis, Richard Smythe, Mrs. Bertram or Father Crompton. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)