|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Smythe actually believe cured his skin condition?
2. Who does Sarah resolve to begin a romantic relationship with?
3. What prevents Bendrix from having sex with the prostitute he brings home one evening?
4. Why does Parkis visit Henry after Sarah's death?
5. Who does Henry tell Bendrix arrived at his office unexpectedly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah's journal offers unique insight into a character (Sarah) other than the narrator (Bendrix). Discuss how the author's decision to include another narrator influences the story. How is the story different because of Sarah's journal? What is the significance of the fact that Sarah did not intend for Bendrix to read her journal? How would the novel be different if Sarah told the entire story? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Sarah's character has been described as a modern day saint. Write an essay:
1) agreeing or disagreeing with this characterization
2) proving your position through details from the novel.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Select the most sympathetic and least sympathetic characters in the novel. Write an essay:
1) describing why you think each is sympathetic/not sympathetic
2) defend your position using details from the novel
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)