|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bendrix suggest he and Sarah go away to when she leaves Henry?
2. How does Henry's secretary refer to him?
3. Who does Lance believe cured him of his stomach ailments?
4. Who does Bendrix pretend to be when he calls the Miles' home?
5. Which of the following is NOT a "privilege provided for the dead" in the Catholic church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout The End of the Affair, Graham Greene juxtaposes scenes from the past with the narrator's present life. Select one of the chapters where he does this and:
1) Describe the past and present scenes presented in the chapter
2) Discuss the relationship between the two scenes. What do the two scenes have to do with each other? Why does Greene choose to place these two scenes from different time periods within the same chapter?
Essay Topic 2
The influence of men on Sarah's development is a recurring topic in The End of the Affair. Select two of the following men and discuss the relationship between him and Sarah. Focus your discussion on the ways the the man does or does not influence her development in a positive way. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
3) Richard Smythe
4) Father Crompton
Essay Topic 3
Flashbacks are important to the development of the novel. Select two major flashback scenes and discuss:
1) what happens in the flashback
2) how the story is influenced by the presence of this flashback
3) the significance of the flashback in the story
4) why Bendrix chooses to remember this scene.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)