|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sarah resolve to begin a romantic relationship with?
2. What does Father Crompton promise to do for Sarah?
3. Why is Henry afraid to go to sleep after Sarah dies?
4. Whose funeral was the first that Bendrix ever attended?
5. Who does Sarah kiss while touring the shelters at Bigwell-on-Sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The End of the Affair, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Parkis, Richard Smythe, Mrs. Bertram or Father Crompton. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes The End of the Affair explores is trust. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The influence of men on Sarah's development is a recurring topic in The End of the Affair. Select two of the following men and discuss the relationship between him and Sarah. Focus your discussion on the ways the the man does or does not influence her development in a positive way. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
3) Richard Smythe
4) Father Crompton
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)