|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a "privilege provided for the dead" in the Catholic church?
(a) A place in heaven for the dead.
(b) Remembrances of the dead.
(c) Prayers for the deceased.
(d) Masses said in the deceased's honor.
2. Who does Sarah resolve to begin a romantic relationship with?
(b) Sir William Mallock.
3. What does Parkis tell Bendrix is wrong with his son?
(a) He has horrible stomach aches.
(b) He is dying of cancer.
(c) He has debilitating headaches.
(d) He is unable to work with Parkis any longer.
4. What excuse does Sylvia offer to give Waterbury for breaking their date?
(a) Bendrix needs her support.
(b) Her mother is ill.
(c) She is having dinner with Bendrix.
(d) She has become ill.
5. Why does Father Compton believe Sarah should have a Catholic burial?
(a) It is the only way to save her soul.
(b) He believes all people should have Catholic burials.
(c) She expressed a desire to become a Catholic.
(d) She was a confirmed Catholic.
6. Whose funeral was the first that Bendrix ever attended?
(a) His father's.
(b) Parkis' son's.
(d) His mother's.
7. Who is Bendrix preparing to write a biography of?
(a) Winston Churchill.
(c) General Gordon.
(d) Sir William Mallock.
8. Where does Henry go early one morning that surprises Bendrix?
(a) To the home of a woman he is romantically involved with.
(b) To work.
(c) To hear the mass Father Crompton gives for Sarah.
(d) To have breakfast with Father Crompton.
9. How does Sarah feel about the Spanish church she visits with Henry?
(a) The images inspire her.
(b) The images sicken her.
(c) She is spiritually moved by the images.
(d) She feels guilty for abandoning her faith.
10. Why does Sarah take Richard Smythe's card?
(a) To send to Bendrix.
(b) To give to Henry.
(c) To know where she can contact him.
(d) To make him feel better.
11. Where does Bendrix suggest he and Sarah go away to when she leaves Henry?
(a) The U.S.
(b) His apartment.
(d) His cousin's cottage in Dorset.
12. Why does Sarah agree to continue to visit Richard Smythe?
(a) She is attracted to him.
(b) She has nothing else to do.
(c) She wants to believe what he believes.
(d) She feels sorry for him.
13. What line from Sarah's diary comes to Bendrix's mind as he reads a comment she wrote on an old school recital program?
(a) Love doesn't stop just because we stop seeing each other.
(b) What utter piffle!
(c) I'm a phoney and a fake.
(d) When I ask for pain, you give me peace.
14. Why does Parkis visit the Reading Room?
(a) To help his son complete a school project.
(b) To find Bendrix.
(c) To read the Times Law Reports.
(d) To observe a investigation subject.
15. What reason does Smythe give for belief in resurrection?
(a) People will believe anything the church tells them.
(b) People need their bodies.
(c) People want to believe their bodies are divine.
(d) People want to believe they can be born again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What arrives at Henry's home while he and Bendrix are dining with Father Crompton?
2. Who travels with Bendrix to the funeral?
3. What does Sarah's mother ask Bendrix for?
4. What reason does Smythe give Bendrix for no longer speaking on the Common?
5. Why does Henry call Bendrix one morning?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)