|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bendrix late for Sarah's funeral?
(a) He intentionally leaves late to avoid the service.
(b) He cannot bear to see Henry.
(c) He is having an affair with another woman.
(d) He meets with a journalist who is writing an article about him.
2. What prevents Bendrix from having sex with the prostitute he brings home one evening?
(a) He promised Sarah he would never have sex with another woman.
(b) He is impotent.
(c) He is still in love with Sarah.
(d) He is concerned Henry will hear.
3. What does Sarah's mother ask Bendrix for?
(a) A memento of Sarah.
(b) An autograph.
(c) His company.
4. Why is Waterbury surprised when Sylvia offers to escort Bendrix to Sarah's funeral?
(a) It is Tuesday and she usually visits her mother on Wednesdays.
(b) Waterbury is jealous that Sylvia is attracted to Bendrix.
(c) Sylvia is under contract to work only with Waterbury.
(d) It is Wednesday and she usually visits her mother on Thursdays.
5. Why does Sarah decide to visit Richard Smythe?
(a) To see if he can convince her that her promise to God can be broken.
(b) To convert him to Christianity.
(c) To inquire about the spots on his face.
(d) To begin an affair with him.
6. Who had Sarah told Bendrix took the picture of her he has on his desk?
(a) Her sister.
(b) A female friend.
(d) Her mother.
7. Who does Henry tell Bendrix arrived at his office unexpectedly?
(b) Sarah's mother.
(c) Richard Smythe.
(d) Sarah's sister.
8. Who does Henry ask to come be with him after Sarah dies?
(a) Sarah's mother.
(b) Richard Smythe.
(c) Sir William Mallock.
9. Who does Sarah kiss while touring the shelters at Bigwell-on-Sea?
(b) The warden.
(d) Sir William Mallock.
10. What distinction will a K.B.E. give Sarah and Henry?
(a) It will place them closer to royalty.
(b) It will exempt them from taxes.
(c) It will make them a lord and lady.
(d) It will provide them with a luxurious home.
11. Who is at Sarah's house when she returns from her walk?
(b) One of Henry's colleagues.
(d) The police.
12. Why does Richard Smythe ask Sarah to never visit him again?
(a) She is not making progress learning Rationalism.
(b) She rejects his marriage proposal.
(c) She criticizes him.
(d) She refuses to give up Christianity.
13. How does Smythe characterize Biblical stories?
(a) As truth.
(b) As fables.
(c) As exaggerated events.
(d) As fictionalized events.
14. Which of the following is NOT a "privilege provided for the dead" in the Catholic church?
(a) A place in heaven for the dead.
(b) Remembrances of the dead.
(c) Prayers for the deceased.
(d) Masses said in the deceased's honor.
15. Why does Henry call Bendrix one morning?
(a) To ask him for help with Sarah.
(b) To tell him Sarah is dead.
(c) To ask him to come and take Sarah to the hospital.
(d) To confront him about his affair with Sarah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about the Catholic church does Henry find "materialistic"?
2. What arrives at Henry's home while he and Bendrix are dining with Father Crompton?
3. What does Mrs. Bertram accuse Henry of?
4. What reason does Smythe give for belief in resurrection?
5. Which of the following does NOT happen to Sarah while she is out walking late at night?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)