|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry say he would not want to be transferred to the Ministry of Information?
(a) They would have to move abroad.
(b) The employees are all temporary workers.
(c) He enjoys working at the Ministry of Home Security.
(d) He would rather be in London.
2. What arrives at Henry's home while he and Bendrix are dining with Father Crompton?
(a) An angry letter from Parkis.
(b) A bill from Parkis.
(c) A book Henry had given to Parkis for his son.
(d) Notification that Lance, Parkis' son, has died.
3. What reason does Smythe give Bendrix for no longer speaking on the Common?
(a) He is focusing only on home tutorials.
(b) He has been cured of his skin ailment.
(c) He is unsure of his religious beliefs.
(d) He has renounced his faith.
4. What distinction will a K.B.E. give Sarah and Henry?
(a) It will exempt them from taxes.
(b) It will place them closer to royalty.
(c) It will make them a lord and lady.
(d) It will provide them with a luxurious home.
5. What reason does Smythe give for belief in resurrection?
(a) People will believe anything the church tells them.
(b) People want to believe their bodies are divine.
(c) People need their bodies.
(d) People want to believe they can be born again.
6. What happens to Sarah while she is sitting in the church with Bendrix?
(a) She falls asleep.
(b) She becomes much sicker.
(c) She begins to believe in God.
(d) She begins weeping.
7. Why is Henry disappointed when Sarah does not know what an O.B.E is?
(a) It is an important promotion in his job and he wants her to be excited for him.
(b) He expects the wife of a government official to know the acronym.
(c) He doesn't believe she is paying attention to him.
(d) It is essential to his view of himself.
8. Whose funeral was the first that Bendrix ever attended?
(a) Parkis' son's.
(b) His mother's.
(d) His father's.
9. Why does Father Compton believe Sarah should have a Catholic burial?
(a) She was a confirmed Catholic.
(b) He believes all people should have Catholic burials.
(c) She expressed a desire to become a Catholic.
(d) It is the only way to save her soul.
10. Who travels with Bendrix to the funeral?
11. What was the turning point for Sarah's illness?
(a) Going out in the rain to avoid Bendrix.
(b) Spending the night with Bendrix.
(c) Bendrix telling Henry about her affair.
(d) The cocktail party Parkis attended.
12. What prevents Sarah from kissing Bendrix after their lunch at Rules?
(a) She begins to cough.
(b) He has been too hurtful to her.
(c) She wants to keep her promise to God.
(d) She wants to be loyal to Henry.
13. What aspect of his novel, 'The Ambitious Host', does Henry say Bendrix "got all wrong"?
(a) A house feeling more lively when friends are there.
(b) A house feeling empty after one's wife dies.
(c) A husband wanting his dead wife to come back.
(d) The belief that love lives forever.
14. Why does Father Crompton say any prayer is better than none?
(a) Prayers connect a person with God.
(b) Prayers renew a person's faith.
(c) Prayers recognize God's power.
(d) Prayers show God a person is interested in becoming Catholic.
15. What book does Bendrix find in Sarah's collection that was one of his personal favorites?
(a) The Poetry of Thomas Hood.
(b) Andrew Laing's fairy book.
(c) The Children of the New Forest.
(d) Last Expedition by Captain Scott.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah promise to do if Bendrix answers the phone when she calls from Bigwell-on-Sea?
2. Who approaches Bendrix as he is researching for his book in the British Museum Reading Room?
3. What favor does Henry ask of Bendrix?
4. Who does Sarah resolve to begin a romantic relationship with?
5. How does Bendrix characterize information that Sarah was baptized a Catholic?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)