|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bendrix late for Sarah's funeral?
(a) He intentionally leaves late to avoid the service.
(b) He cannot bear to see Henry.
(c) He meets with a journalist who is writing an article about him.
(d) He is having an affair with another woman.
2. What example does Bendrix use to try and convince Henry God is fictional?
(a) Sarah's cremation.
(b) A four legged man with fish scales.
(c) A three legged man with fish scales.
3. What event does Bendrix take as proof Sarah would have wanted to be cremated?
(a) The last time he saw her she was in a church.
(b) She never spoke about religion to him or to Henry.
(c) In her diary she renounced God.
(d) She chose to have her wedding at the registry rather than a church.
4. Why does Sarah agree to continue to visit Richard Smythe?
(a) She has nothing else to do.
(b) She wants to believe what he believes.
(c) She is attracted to him.
(d) She feels sorry for him.
5. What excuse does Sylvia offer to give Waterbury for breaking their date?
(a) Bendrix needs her support.
(b) She has become ill.
(c) She is having dinner with Bendrix.
(d) Her mother is ill.
6. What aspect of his novel, 'The Ambitious Host', does Henry say Bendrix "got all wrong"?
(a) A husband wanting his dead wife to come back.
(b) A house feeling empty after one's wife dies.
(c) A house feeling more lively when friends are there.
(d) The belief that love lives forever.
7. Who unexpectedly comes to visit Henry after Sarah's death?
(c) Richard Smythe.
(d) A priest.
8. What about Richard Smythe does Sarah find beautiful?
(a) His beliefs.
(b) His hands.
(c) His scarred face.
(d) His confidence.
9. What reason does Smythe give for belief in resurrection?
(a) People want to believe they can be born again.
(b) People will believe anything the church tells them.
(c) People need their bodies.
(d) People want to believe their bodies are divine.
10. Where does Henry go early one morning that surprises Bendrix?
(a) To hear the mass Father Crompton gives for Sarah.
(b) To the home of a woman he is romantically involved with.
(c) To have breakfast with Father Crompton.
(d) To work.
11. Why does Parkis visit the Reading Room?
(a) To observe a investigation subject.
(b) To read the Times Law Reports.
(c) To find Bendrix.
(d) To help his son complete a school project.
12. What prevents Bendrix from having sex with the prostitute he brings home one evening?
(a) He is impotent.
(b) He promised Sarah he would never have sex with another woman.
(c) He is concerned Henry will hear.
(d) He is still in love with Sarah.
13. How does Henry's secretary refer to him?
(a) As His Majesty.
(b) As Mr. Miles.
(c) As Henry.
(d) As H.M.
14. At the beginning of this chapter, who is at Henry's house when Bendrix arrives?
(b) Sir William Mallock.
(d) Father Compton.
15. What was the turning point for Sarah's illness?
(a) Bendrix telling Henry about her affair.
(b) The cocktail party Parkis attended.
(c) Spending the night with Bendrix.
(d) Going out in the rain to avoid Bendrix.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bendrix follow Sarah to when she leaves her house?
2. Who does Bendrix pretend to be when he calls the Miles' home?
3. What favor does Henry ask of Bendrix?
4. What does Mrs. Bertram accuse Henry of?
5. Which of the following is NOT a reason Bendrix gives for keeping Sarah's funeral at the crematorium?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)