|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following situations involving the investigator is Bendrix NOT concerned about?
(a) The investigator dirtying his writing paper.
(b) Henry paying for the investigation.
(c) The investigator will pity him.
(d) His landlady answering the investigator's phone calls.
2. Who does Bendrix see Sarah kissing when he and Henry return from their walk?
(a) Her lover.
(b) Mr. Savage.
(d) One of Henry's co-workers.
3. What religion does Richard Smythe preach?
(a) None. He is a rational atheist.
4. Who is Parkis' son named after?
(c) King Arthur.
(d) Sir Lancelot.
5. Why is Henry surprised when Bendrix tells him he must return home after refusing a drink?
(a) Bendrix has never declined to have a drink with Henry.
(b) Bendrix told Henry he has to work and Henry believed Bendrix only wrote in the mornings.
(c) Bendrix and Sarah are acting suspiciously.
(d) Bendrix had just arrived at the Miles' home.
6. What do Sarah and Bendrix do while Henry has his lunch tray in bed?
(a) Eat lunch in the Miles' living room.
(b) Go to Rules for lunch.
(c) Go to Bendrix's apartment.
(d) Have sex in the Miles' living room.
7. How does Bendrix reply to Parkis' request for comments on the letter found in Sarah's waste basket?
(a) He expresses outrage that Parkis would accuse her of having an affair.
(b) He asks Parkis to continue to gather her correspondence.
(c) He expresses sadness that Sarah is seeing another man.
(d) He refuses to make a comment.
8. Where had Parkis been when Bendrix and Lance went to the Smythes' apartment?
(a) Meeting with the Miles' maid.
(b) At the Parkis' home.
(c) At a party at the Miles' house.
(d) Outside of 16 Cedar Lane.
9. What does Bendrix think has happened when he and Sarah first hear the air-raid sirens?
(a) Enemy planes entered the air space over London.
(b) London is about to be bombed.
(c) London is under attack.
(d) Someone accidently sounded the siren.
10. What does Bendrix tell Henry is the only thing Sarah could do with him that she couldn't with her husband?
(a) Speak honestly.
(b) Go out on dates.
(c) Have sex.
11. Who was responsible for facilitating Bendrix and Sarah's first night of intimacy (in Bendrix's opinion)?
(a) Lewis, the Liberal from Wales.
12. What does Sarah promise God she will do if He spares Bendrix's life?
(a) She will divorce Henry.
(b) She will devote her life to Christianity.
(c) She will leave him (Bendrix).
(d) She will go to church.
13. What does Sarah see that alerts her that Bendrix is caught under the door after the bombing?
(a) His legs.
(b) His hat.
(c) His feet.
(d) His hand.
14. Who does Bendrix believe Mr. Smythe to be?
(a) Sarah's lover.
(b) A colleague of Henry's.
(c) Sarah's spiritual advisor.
(d) A Catholic priest.
15. What does Bendrix say always helped him regain trust in Sarah?
(a) Seeing her.
(b) Her feelings about Henry.
(c) Her love letters.
(d) Her phone calls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah confess to Bendrix while they are eating sandwiches in her living room?
2. What happens when Sarah walks Bendrix to the door?
3. Where does Parkis say in his report that he followed Sarah to?
4. Why does Bendrix want to take Parkis' son with him when he visits Smythe?
5. What event does Bendrix first look for in Sarah's diary?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)