|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bendrix skip over many of the entries in Sarah's diary?
(a) He does not want to know about her other romantic affairs.
(b) He doesn't care about the times she wasn't with him.
(c) It still hurts him to hear of her time with Henry.
(d) It hurts him to know she loved him.
2. What disturbs Henry about Sarah's treatment of Bendrix when he visits while Henry is sick?
(a) He wishes she served him the good claret with lunch.
(b) He is suspicious that they are having an affair.
(c) He thinks Sarah is too friendly towards Bendrix.
(d) He is upset that Sarah does not bring Bendrix into his room to visit him.
3. What event does Bendrix first look for in Sarah's diary?
(a) The first time they had sex.
(b) The end of their affair.
(c) Their first date.
(d) The day they met.
4. Why does Henry go downstairs when he is sick?
(a) He knows Bendrix will be there.
(b) He wants to get a hot water bottle.
(c) He wants to speak to Sarah.
(d) He is fixing himself lunch.
5. Why is Henry surprised when Bendrix tells him he must return home after refusing a drink?
(a) Bendrix and Sarah are acting suspiciously.
(b) Bendrix told Henry he has to work and Henry believed Bendrix only wrote in the mornings.
(c) Bendrix had just arrived at the Miles' home.
(d) Bendrix has never declined to have a drink with Henry.
6. When Bendrix first meets him how long does Henry say he and Sarah have been married?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 5 years.
7. Who does Bendrix see Sarah kissing when he and Henry return from their walk?
(a) Her lover.
(c) One of Henry's co-workers.
(d) Mr. Savage.
8. Why is Sarah unable to see Bendrix when Henry has a cold?
(a) She must be at home to answer the phone.
(b) Henry might become suspicious.
(c) She must take care of him.
(d) She is concerned Henry will become sicker.
9. What does Bendrix think has happened when he and Sarah first hear the air-raid sirens?
(a) Enemy planes entered the air space over London.
(b) Someone accidently sounded the siren.
(c) London is about to be bombed.
(d) London is under attack.
10. In Sarah's dream, what does she hear instead of Bendrix's voice?
(a) Henry's voice.
(b) Richard Smythe's voice.
(c) A stranger's loud voice.
(d) The voice of God.
11. According to Henry, how does Sarah now feel about Bendrix?
(a) She hates him.
(b) She is deeply in love with him.
(c) She is very fond of him.
(d) She is ambivalent towards him.
12. Who is the Maurice that Sarah refers to in her diary?
(a) A colleague of Henry's.
13. What image does Sarah use to refer to a place where there is no love?
(a) A train.
(b) A mine field.
(c) A desert.
(d) A war.
14. What does Bendrix tell Henry is the only thing Sarah could do with him that she couldn't with her husband?
(a) Go out on dates.
(b) Have sex.
(d) Speak honestly.
15. When do the final entries of Sarah's diary take place?
(a) Prior to her affair with Bendrix.
(b) During her affair with Bendrix.
(c) Two years after her affair with Bendrix ended.
(d) The days after her affair with Bendrix ended.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Bendrix's opinion, what is jealousy connected to?
2. What was the purpose of Sarah's phone call to Bendrix?
3. What project is Henry working on the night Bendrix and Sarah begin their affair?
4. What does Bendrix say is the only thing Henry really wants from Sarah?
5. Why is Bendrix excused from military service during the war?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)