|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ruth wake up to find in the morning?
2. What did Ivan fear about the consummation of the wedding?
3. What did Mikola wish that he had written down?
4. Why did it take Ivan's family so long to leave the first time and not Katerina?
5. What does Katerina reveal to Ivan while they are on the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the effect of the weapons of the future against the peasants of the Widow's army?
2. What was the only repercussion to the revolt that occurred in Taina while Katerina was gone, and what happened as a result?
3. Why did Mikola not write down his spells, despite the fact that he had thought about doing so?
4. What prompts Ivan to get the message?
5. For what reasons does Katerina decide to leave the people of Taina?
6. How was Ivan tangled up in people's expectations of him on his wedding night, and his behavior?
7. Why was Yaga especially upset about regarding Bear?
8. Why doesn't Ivan want to bring rockets into Taina?
9. What happened when Ivan attempted to eat the chicken that Ruth brought, and what happened as a result?
10. Why doesn't Esther take pupils and teach them what she knows, practice her witchcraft openly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ivan explains to his son how they can't bring certain medicines back from their time to the time of Taina. Discuss not only Ivan's rationale for this, but also other potential ramifications of medicines being created in the early 900's. Explain the kinds of impacts that would have, and the ripple effect of the introduction of modern medicine to an ancient people.
Essay Topic 2
Briefly, Ivan and Katerina's children are described, but little effort is given to character development. Suggest three reasons for this and provide at least two rationales for each reason.
Essay Topic 3
Although Bear initially went to kill Ivan, he seems to have had a change of heart once Ivan frees him. Discuss this change of heart, and Bear's actions afterwards, and what this suggests about not only his desire to kill Ivan, but also about his relationship with Yaga.
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)