|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yaga threaten to do to Katerina?
2. What does Ivan ask the children of the village for?
3. Who stops Ivan and calls him out for not being Sergei?
4. How did Bear help Katerina?
5. What did Ivan figure was the only merciful thing he could do for Katerina?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bear react when he is freed?
2. Why did Mikola not write down his spells, despite the fact that he had thought about doing so?
3. Why doesn't Esther take pupils and teach them what she knows, practice her witchcraft openly?
4. How was Ivan tangled up in people's expectations of him on his wedding night, and his behavior?
5. How did the fire work in Ivan and Sergei's favor?
6. Why was Yaga especially upset about regarding Bear?
7. How does Ivan tell Katerina she will be perceived by the people in his world if she doesn't wear clothes?
8. What information does Bear give to Katerina to help her?
9. What was the difference in opinion as to why Ivan listened to Katerina once he had awakened her?
10. What lie does Yaga tell Katerina that she knows is a lie immediately?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the culture of Taina to places where such cultural considerations are still practiced and present. Explain what limitations would need to be in place for such a culture to survive in the modern world, and what limitations are actually in place to ensure this survival.
Essay Topic 2
Ivan explains to his son how they can't bring certain medicines back from their time to the time of Taina. Discuss not only Ivan's rationale for this, but also other potential ramifications of medicines being created in the early 900's. Explain the kinds of impacts that would have, and the ripple effect of the introduction of modern medicine to an ancient people.
Essay Topic 3
Card provides a background story for Yaga that creates sympathy for her. Suggest reasons why Card does this, and doesn't create a background story for Katerina, regarding how she grew up, or Dimitri for why he is so quick to anger, or Bear for how he became a God.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)