|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Katerina expecting?
2. What did Ruth really want from her friends?
3. What do people say about Baba Yaga's new house?
4. What was the last thing Ivan wondered when Yaga disappeared?
5. What does Sergei overhear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Ivan attempted to eat the chicken that Ruth brought, and what happened as a result?
2. What prompts Ivan to get the message?
3. Why doesn't Esther take pupils and teach them what she knows, practice her witchcraft openly?
4. Why did Ruth think she had the upper hand when she saw Katerina?
5. What lie does Yaga tell Katerina that she knows is a lie immediately?
6. How do Ivan and Katerina turn Dimitri to them?
7. How was Ivan tangled up in people's expectations of him on his wedding night, and his behavior?
8. How did Father Lukas die?
9. For what reasons does Katerina decide to leave the people of Taina?
10. Why couldn't Ivan simply bring the book in his arms into his time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although towards the end, Ivan is concerned that he has changed history, he remembers instances in which Ivan is mentioned several times in the modern versions of the fairy tales. Suggest reasons why Ivan wasn't concerned about this the moment he went back in time, although it is a consideration often mentioned in literature regarding time travel of any kind.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the differing opinions of things from Katerina and Ivan's time. Explain how, as a being of both time frames, Marek aka Mozhaiski is a good intermediary to explain how things work.
Essay Topic 3
Taina no longer exists in Ivan's time, and this comes as a great shock to Katerina. Utilizing scholarly history articles, suggest what may have happened to Taina based on its location, religion and time frame.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)