|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What charm was Ivan wearing?
2. Why did Ivan faithfully translate everything Katerina said even when her recollections differed from Ivan's in some way?
3. Who does Katerina contact in Taina?
4. What one thing did Katerina not fear?
5. Where was Baba Yaga hiding on the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice does Ivan give his children that he didn't have himself?
2. How does Ivan deduce that Katerina and him should not be on the plane they got on?
3. What dilemma does Katerina place on Father Lukas?
4. What happened when Ivan attempted to eat the chicken that Ruth brought, and what happened as a result?
5. What was the difference in opinion as to why Ivan listened to Katerina once he had awakened her?
6. Why is Ivan troubled with continuing and finishing the last few touches of his dissertation?
7. Why couldn't Ivan simply bring the book in his arms into his time?
8. Why did Mikola not write down his spells, despite the fact that he had thought about doing so?
9. What lie does Yaga tell Katerina that she knows is a lie immediately?
10. Why doesn't Ivan want to bring rockets into Taina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Bear initially went to kill Ivan, he seems to have had a change of heart once Ivan frees him. Discuss this change of heart, and Bear's actions afterwards, and what this suggests about not only his desire to kill Ivan, but also about his relationship with Yaga.
Essay Topic 2
Although towards the end, Ivan is concerned that he has changed history, he remembers instances in which Ivan is mentioned several times in the modern versions of the fairy tales. Suggest reasons why Ivan wasn't concerned about this the moment he went back in time, although it is a consideration often mentioned in literature regarding time travel of any kind.
Essay Topic 3
Briefly, Ivan and Katerina's children are described, but little effort is given to character development. Suggest three reasons for this and provide at least two rationales for each reason.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)