|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had sent the bear after Katerina?
2. What had haunted Ivan about the chasm?
3. Who finally gives Ivan clothes?
4. What did Bear ask Yaga for?
5. What was the message on the piece of paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Princess think of Ivan?
2. What was Katerina's justification for their treatment and purchase of slaves?
3. What did Baba Yaga wish to gain from Bear?
4. How did Ivan's relationship with his mother differ from his relationship with his father?
5. Why doesn't Esther take pupils and teach them what she knows, practice her witchcraft openly?
6. What was the effect of the weapons of the future against the peasants of the Widow's army?
7. What choice does Ivan give his children that he didn't have himself?
8. What shamed Katerina about the airplane, how did she react, and how did she rebuke herself for doing so?
9. What information does Bear give to Katerina to help her?
10. What happened to Esther when Ivan rescued the princess Katerina?
Essay Topic 1
Ivan realizes that the fairy tales that Sergei had written down were the echos of older religions. In essay form, discuss ancient fairy tales in this light, and attempt to draw some parallels from ancient fairy tales and pagan religions, or conversely, the modern versions of the fairy tales and Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the differing opinions of things from Katerina and Ivan's time. Explain how, as a being of both time frames, Marek aka Mozhaiski is a good intermediary to explain how things work.
Essay Topic 3
Although Bear initially went to kill Ivan, he seems to have had a change of heart once Ivan frees him. Discuss this change of heart, and Bear's actions afterwards, and what this suggests about not only his desire to kill Ivan, but also about his relationship with Yaga.
This section contains 1,756 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)