|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ivan say in Old Church Slavonic?
2. What did the merchant beg for?
3. What constellation did Katerina refer to?
4. What did Vanya's family lose?
5. What happened to Esther that scared her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issue did Ivan have once he had hit the bear?
2. Why couldn't Yaga simply kill the girl and take over the kingdom?
3. What happened to Esther when Ivan rescued the princess Katerina?
4. How did Ivan's relationship with his mother differ from his relationship with his father?
5. What did the Princess think of Ivan?
6. Why is Nadya hesitant to show the Princess' hoose to her son and Father Lukas?
7. For what reasons did Ivan resent Princess Katerina?
8. Why did Vanya finally decide to let the Mohel circumcise him?
9. What does rock and roll represent to Vanya's father?
10. What did Vanya's parents fear? What did they decide to do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From Sergei's perspective, the reader learns that most of the fairy tales were used to scare children. Discuss why this is no longer practiced as a matter of cause in modern times, and the resources available to disprove such scare tactics, and make the argument for whether or not the world is more or less frightening for children.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the influences at work that finally allowed Katerina and Ivan to resolve their differences and realize that they loved each other. Explain what kinds of things stood in their way and what comments, situations and influences encouraged their love to grow.
Essay Topic 3
Taina no longer exists in Ivan's time, and this comes as a great shock to Katerina. Utilizing scholarly history articles, suggest what may have happened to Taina based on its location, religion and time frame.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)