|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had haunted Ivan about the chasm?
2. What does Bear tell Yaga to do?
3. What year does Ivan find out it is?
4. What word did Ivan not know in Old Church Slavonic?
5. What had Ivan's body been shaped by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does rock and roll represent to Vanya's father?
2. What did the Princess think of Ivan?
3. What was Yaga supposed to have felt, but didn't?
4. How does Ivan justify his wearing the princess' hoose?
5. What does Ivan need to do in order to go home?
6. What problem does Ivan come across when he tries to justify his impending marriage to Ruth to Katerina?
7. What did Baba Yaga wish to gain from Bear?
8. Why can't Katerina name Dimitri as the war leader?
9. What bothered Ivan about his relationship with his father and why?
10. How did Ivan justify what he had seen and heard in the forest as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Card provides a background story for Yaga that creates sympathy for her. Suggest reasons why Card does this, and doesn't create a background story for Katerina, regarding how she grew up, or Dimitri for why he is so quick to anger, or Bear for how he became a God.
Essay Topic 2
Briefly, Ivan and Katerina's children are described, but little effort is given to character development. Suggest three reasons for this and provide at least two rationales for each reason.
Essay Topic 3
Ivan realizes that the fairy tales that Sergei had written down were the echos of older religions. In essay form, discuss ancient fairy tales in this light, and attempt to draw some parallels from ancient fairy tales and pagan religions, or conversely, the modern versions of the fairy tales and Christianity.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)