|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What didn't Ivan do that he had been expected to?
2. What was part of the defense mechanism of the chasm?
3. What word did Ivan not know in Old Church Slavonic?
4. What was Yaga attempting to extract from the merchant?
5. What did Ivan not speak to his father about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ivan realize is the death knell for Taina?
2. What did Baba Yaga wish to gain from Bear?
3. Why was it unrealistic that Vanya was imagining Abraham in the forest and countryside? Why didn't this stop him from his fantasy?
4. What is the problem with obtaining parchment?
5. What issue did Ivan have once he had hit the bear?
6. What was Katerina's justification for their treatment and purchase of slaves?
7. What happened to Esther when Ivan rescued the princess Katerina?
8. In what ways was the young man that had rescued the princess not what Yaga had suspected?
9. What problem does Ivan come across when he tries to justify his impending marriage to Ruth to Katerina?
10. Why couldn't Yaga simply kill the girl and take over the kingdom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Card provides a background story for Yaga that creates sympathy for her. Suggest reasons why Card does this, and doesn't create a background story for Katerina, regarding how she grew up, or Dimitri for why he is so quick to anger, or Bear for how he became a God.
Essay Topic 2
Although towards the end, Ivan is concerned that he has changed history, he remembers instances in which Ivan is mentioned several times in the modern versions of the fairy tales. Suggest reasons why Ivan wasn't concerned about this the moment he went back in time, although it is a consideration often mentioned in literature regarding time travel of any kind.
Essay Topic 3
Briefly, Ivan and Katerina's children are described, but little effort is given to character development. Suggest three reasons for this and provide at least two rationales for each reason.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)