|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ivan compare himself to while talking to Katerina?
2. What was valued in Ivan's time that wasn't in Katerina's?
3. What item assured Ivan that Taina was a doomed town?
4. What had haunted Ivan about the chasm?
5. What year does Ivan find out it is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Katerina react when Ivan said the witch's name?
2. What did the Princess think of Ivan?
3. What problems occurred in Taina when Baba Yaga appeared?
4. How does Ivan justify his wearing the princess' hoose?
5. How did Ivan's relationship with his mother differ from his relationship with his father?
6. For what reasons did Ivan resent Princess Katerina?
7. What did Vanya's parents fear? What did they decide to do about it?
8. What issue did Ivan have once he had hit the bear?
9. How did Ivan's parents' sacrifice weigh heavily on his mind? How did this affect the way he led his life?
10. Why is Nadya hesitant to show the Princess' hoose to her son and Father Lukas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ivan realizes that the fairy tales that Sergei had written down were the echos of older religions. In essay form, discuss ancient fairy tales in this light, and attempt to draw some parallels from ancient fairy tales and pagan religions, or conversely, the modern versions of the fairy tales and Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the influences at work that finally allowed Katerina and Ivan to resolve their differences and realize that they loved each other. Explain what kinds of things stood in their way and what comments, situations and influences encouraged their love to grow.
Essay Topic 3
Ivan explains to his son how they can't bring certain medicines back from their time to the time of Taina. Discuss not only Ivan's rationale for this, but also other potential ramifications of medicines being created in the early 900's. Explain the kinds of impacts that would have, and the ripple effect of the introduction of modern medicine to an ancient people.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)