|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Yaga deliberately left out of the salve?
2. What was a stupid thing to say as he departed from Ruth?
3. What had haunted Ivan about the chasm?
4. What happened to Esther that scared her?
5. What does Ivan ask Brother Sergei to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issue did Ivan have once he had hit the bear?
2. Why doesn't Ivan want to bring rockets into Taina?
3. How did the fire work in Ivan and Sergei's favor?
4. How did Ivan's relationship with his mother differ from his relationship with his father?
5. What dilemma does Katerina place on Father Lukas?
6. What problem does Ivan come across when he tries to justify his impending marriage to Ruth to Katerina?
7. What does rock and roll represent to Vanya's father?
8. For what reasons does Katerina decide to leave the people of Taina?
9. How did Katerina react when Ivan said the witch's name?
10. What is the problem with obtaining parchment?
Essay Topic 1
Katerina and Ivan's problem regarding the bridges and their mortality is valid. In essay form, discuss the argument they had about the bridges and some problems that their children might have in either world as a result of having been children of both.
Essay Topic 2
Card provides a background story for Yaga that creates sympathy for her. Suggest reasons why Card does this, and doesn't create a background story for Katerina, regarding how she grew up, or Dimitri for why he is so quick to anger, or Bear for how he became a God.
Essay Topic 3
Although Bear initially went to kill Ivan, he seems to have had a change of heart once Ivan frees him. Discuss this change of heart, and Bear's actions afterwards, and what this suggests about not only his desire to kill Ivan, but also about his relationship with Yaga.
This section contains 1,872 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)