|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katerina ask of her father?
2. Into whose head did Baba Yaga place dissent?
3. What does Ivan wish to write the stories down on?
4. What happened when Ivan crossed the threshold of Katerina's world?
5. Which limb did the bear take out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ivan's parents' sacrifice weigh heavily on his mind? How did this affect the way he led his life?
2. What was Yaga supposed to have felt, but didn't?
3. Why is Nadya hesitant to show the Princess' hoose to her son and Father Lukas?
4. What does rock and roll represent to Vanya's father?
5. What happened to Esther when Ivan rescued the princess Katerina?
6. How does Ivan justify his wearing the princess' hoose?
7. Why did Vanya finally decide to let the Mohel circumcise him?
8. Why was it unrealistic that Vanya was imagining Abraham in the forest and countryside? Why didn't this stop him from his fantasy?
9. What problem does Ivan come across when he tries to justify his impending marriage to Ruth to Katerina?
10. Why can't Katerina name Dimitri as the war leader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bear doesn't immediately go after Yaga, despite all that she had put him through. Suggest reasons for this, and for the rationale that Yaga has that Bear might come back. Explain the rationale behind each reason.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the culture of Taina to places where such cultural considerations are still practiced and present. Explain what limitations would need to be in place for such a culture to survive in the modern world, and what limitations are actually in place to ensure this survival.
Essay Topic 3
Although Bear initially went to kill Ivan, he seems to have had a change of heart once Ivan frees him. Discuss this change of heart, and Bear's actions afterwards, and what this suggests about not only his desire to kill Ivan, but also about his relationship with Yaga.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)