|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vanya like about the way Americans spoke?
2. What does Ruth's mother keep saying about Ivan?
3. Why couldn't Ivan walk away and leave this task to someone else?
4. Who had sent the bear after Katerina?
5. What did Vanya take solace in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Yaga supposed to have felt, but didn't?
2. How does Ivan justify his wearing the princess' hoose?
3. What did the Princess think of Ivan?
4. What happened to Esther when Ivan rescued the princess Katerina?
5. What does Ivan realize is the death knell for Taina?
6. How did Ivan's relationship with his mother differ from his relationship with his father?
7. What was Ivan's excuse for not writing home?
8. What was Katerina's justification for their treatment and purchase of slaves?
9. What does Ivan need to do in order to go home?
10. Why did Vanya finally decide to let the Mohel circumcise him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Ivan and Katerina's perspective regarding both sex and marriage. Explain how their cultures shape their perspectives, and the influence of those cultures on their actions regarding marriage and the dynamics within it.
Essay Topic 2
Briefly, Ivan and Katerina's children are described, but little effort is given to character development. Suggest three reasons for this and provide at least two rationales for each reason.
Essay Topic 3
Although Ivan and Katerina are convinced that Yaga can only take over people that have some hidden desire for betrayal in their heart, Ivan was taken over himself, though he loved Katerina. Suggest some reasons for this.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)