|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it impossible for Katerina to imagine?
2. What had haunted Ivan about the chasm?
3. What did Vanya's father lose?
4. Who had sent the bear after Katerina?
5. What did children recognize before adults?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bothered Ivan about his relationship with his father and why?
2. Why did Vanya finally decide to let the Mohel circumcise him?
3. How did Ivan justify what he had seen and heard in the forest as a child?
4. How did Ivan's parents' sacrifice weigh heavily on his mind? How did this affect the way he led his life?
5. What was the difference in the way cousin Marek and Ivan had gained their muscles and toned bodies?
6. What problem does Ivan come across when he tries to justify his impending marriage to Ruth to Katerina?
7. What is the problem with obtaining parchment?
8. What problems occurred in Taina when Baba Yaga appeared?
9. What issue did Ivan have once he had hit the bear?
10. What was Yaga supposed to have felt, but didn't?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bear doesn't immediately go after Yaga, despite all that she had put him through. Suggest reasons for this, and for the rationale that Yaga has that Bear might come back. Explain the rationale behind each reason.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Ivan and Katerina's perspective regarding both sex and marriage. Explain how their cultures shape their perspectives, and the influence of those cultures on their actions regarding marriage and the dynamics within it.
Essay Topic 3
Taina no longer exists in Ivan's time, and this comes as a great shock to Katerina. Utilizing scholarly history articles, suggest what may have happened to Taina based on its location, religion and time frame.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)