|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened in the clearing?
2. What did Vanya's family lose?
3. What did Esther fill the basin with?
4. What did Bear ask Yaga for?
5. What does Ivan think when he notices Father Lukas' contempt for the local Slavs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why couldn't Yaga simply kill the girl and take over the kingdom?
2. How did Ivan solve the problem of the bear?
3. What problems occurred in Taina when Baba Yaga appeared?
4. What does rock and roll represent to Vanya's father?
5. How did Ivan's parents' sacrifice weigh heavily on his mind? How did this affect the way he led his life?
6. Why is Nadya hesitant to show the Princess' hoose to her son and Father Lukas?
7. What does Ivan realize is the death knell for Taina?
8. Why did Vanya finally decide to let the Mohel circumcise him?
9. What issue did Ivan have once he had hit the bear?
10. How does Ivan justify his wearing the princess' hoose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esther laments on the fall of modern witchcraft and discusses how it has changed. Utilizing unbiased, scholarly sources, provide a detailed account of modern and ancient witchcraft and what it meant to the practitioners and what punishment was meted out and is still in place for practitioners of Paganism.
Essay Topic 2
In essay form, discuss the benefits and drawbacks to living in either the modern or the ancient worlds described in the book. Imagine that you are attempting to persuade one of the children to your perspective.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the culture of Taina to places where such cultural considerations are still practiced and present. Explain what limitations would need to be in place for such a culture to survive in the modern world, and what limitations are actually in place to ensure this survival.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)