|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a result of their argument, what did Katerina resolve?
2. What do his classmates call Vanya?
3. What was the message on the piece of paper?
4. What did Bear ask Yaga for?
5. What alphabet does Brother Sergei utilize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem does Ivan come across when he tries to justify his impending marriage to Ruth to Katerina?
2. Why was it unrealistic that Vanya was imagining Abraham in the forest and countryside? Why didn't this stop him from his fantasy?
3. What bothered Ivan about his relationship with his father and why?
4. What happened to Esther when Ivan rescued the princess Katerina?
5. What did Baba Yaga wish to gain from Bear?
6. Why couldn't Yaga simply kill the girl and take over the kingdom?
7. What had Yaga done to convey her message to her late husband?
8. What was Katerina's justification for their treatment and purchase of slaves?
9. What does rock and roll represent to Vanya's father?
10. How does Ivan justify his wearing the princess' hoose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Bear initially went to kill Ivan, he seems to have had a change of heart once Ivan frees him. Discuss this change of heart, and Bear's actions afterwards, and what this suggests about not only his desire to kill Ivan, but also about his relationship with Yaga.
Essay Topic 2
In essay form, discuss the benefits and drawbacks to living in either the modern or the ancient worlds described in the book. Imagine that you are attempting to persuade one of the children to your perspective.
Essay Topic 3
Card provides a background story for Yaga that creates sympathy for her. Suggest reasons why Card does this, and doesn't create a background story for Katerina, regarding how she grew up, or Dimitri for why he is so quick to anger, or Bear for how he became a God.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)