|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ivan incapacitate within the bear?
2. What happened when Ivan crossed the threshold of Katerina's world?
3. What does Ruth's mother keep saying about Ivan?
4. What did Vanya come to love about moving to the country?
5. Where did Vanya's plane land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ivan's excuse for not writing home?
2. What had Yaga done to convey her message to her late husband?
3. How did Ivan justify what he had seen and heard in the forest as a child?
4. Why doesn't Esther take pupils and teach them what she knows, practice her witchcraft openly?
5. Why couldn't Ivan simply bring the book in his arms into his time?
6. What shamed Katerina about the airplane, how did she react, and how did she rebuke herself for doing so?
7. What was the only repercussion to the revolt that occurred in Taina while Katerina was gone, and what happened as a result?
8. What information does Bear give to Katerina to help her?
9. What dilemma does Katerina place on Father Lukas?
10. How did Ivan solve the problem of the bear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although towards the end, Ivan is concerned that he has changed history, he remembers instances in which Ivan is mentioned several times in the modern versions of the fairy tales. Suggest reasons why Ivan wasn't concerned about this the moment he went back in time, although it is a consideration often mentioned in literature regarding time travel of any kind.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the influences at work that finally allowed Katerina and Ivan to resolve their differences and realize that they loved each other. Explain what kinds of things stood in their way and what comments, situations and influences encouraged their love to grow.
Essay Topic 3
Bear doesn't immediately go after Yaga, despite all that she had put him through. Suggest reasons for this, and for the rationale that Yaga has that Bear might come back. Explain the rationale behind each reason.
This section contains 1,891 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)