|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Ivan's body been shaped by?
2. What can't Ivan do while in Taina?
3. What disturbed the water in front of Esther?
4. What does Ivan wish to write the stories down on?
5. As a result of their argument, what did Katerina resolve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ivan solve the problem of the bear?
2. What problems occurred in Taina when Baba Yaga appeared?
3. How did Ivan justify what he had seen and heard in the forest as a child?
4. What happened to Esther when Ivan rescued the princess Katerina?
5. What was Ivan's excuse for not writing home?
6. For what reasons did Ivan resent Princess Katerina?
7. What had Yaga done to convey her message to her late husband?
8. What did the Princess think of Ivan?
9. How does Ivan justify his wearing the princess' hoose?
10. What was Yaga supposed to have felt, but didn't?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Taina no longer exists in Ivan's time, and this comes as a great shock to Katerina. Utilizing scholarly history articles, suggest what may have happened to Taina based on its location, religion and time frame.
Essay Topic 2
In essay form, discuss the benefits and drawbacks to living in either the modern or the ancient worlds described in the book. Imagine that you are attempting to persuade one of the children to your perspective.
Essay Topic 3
Katerina and Ivan give their children all the choice in the world about what they want to do and who they want to be. Discuss how this might be a problem, with children having different lives in different worlds, and whether or not it makes them unsuited for either.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)