|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Yaga attempting to extract from the merchant?
2. What does Ivan ask Katerina for?
3. What did Ivan go looking for in the morning at cousin Marek's?
4. What item assured Ivan that Taina was a doomed town?
5. What color were the merchant's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways was the young man that had rescued the princess not what Yaga had suspected?
2. Why can't Katerina name Dimitri as the war leader?
3. Why is Nadya hesitant to show the Princess' hoose to her son and Father Lukas?
4. Why couldn't Yaga simply kill the girl and take over the kingdom?
5. What does rock and roll represent to Vanya's father?
6. How did Ivan's relationship with his mother differ from his relationship with his father?
7. What was Ivan's excuse for not writing home?
8. How does Ivan justify his wearing the princess' hoose?
9. What did Baba Yaga wish to gain from Bear?
10. What was Katerina's justification for their treatment and purchase of slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Bear initially went to kill Ivan, he seems to have had a change of heart once Ivan frees him. Discuss this change of heart, and Bear's actions afterwards, and what this suggests about not only his desire to kill Ivan, but also about his relationship with Yaga.
Essay Topic 2
From Sergei's perspective, the reader learns that most of the fairy tales were used to scare children. Discuss why this is no longer practiced as a matter of cause in modern times, and the resources available to disprove such scare tactics, and make the argument for whether or not the world is more or less frightening for children.
Essay Topic 3
Although Ivan and Katerina are convinced that Yaga can only take over people that have some hidden desire for betrayal in their heart, Ivan was taken over himself, though he loved Katerina. Suggest some reasons for this.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)