|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Yaga attempting to extract from the merchant?
2. What was part of the defense mechanism of the chasm?
3. What did Vanya come to love about moving to the country?
4. What did Esther fill the basin with?
5. What did Vanya find in the clearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ivan realize is the death knell for Taina?
2. Why is Nadya hesitant to show the Princess' hoose to her son and Father Lukas?
3. In what ways was the young man that had rescued the princess not what Yaga had suspected?
4. What did Vanya's parents fear? What did they decide to do about it?
5. What problem does Ivan come across when he tries to justify his impending marriage to Ruth to Katerina?
6. What was Yaga supposed to have felt, but didn't?
7. What was Ivan's excuse for not writing home?
8. What did the Princess think of Ivan?
9. How did Ivan's relationship with his mother differ from his relationship with his father?
10. Why did Vanya finally decide to let the Mohel circumcise him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sergei and Ivan have issues attempting to get a hold of parchment paper to record the fairy tales of Taina's time. Explain how the shortage of availability of paper would lead to issues in preservation and historical compilations aside from those of a religious nature.
Essay Topic 2
Esther laments on the fall of modern witchcraft and discusses how it has changed. Utilizing unbiased, scholarly sources, provide a detailed account of modern and ancient witchcraft and what it meant to the practitioners and what punishment was meted out and is still in place for practitioners of Paganism.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the culture of Taina to places where such cultural considerations are still practiced and present. Explain what limitations would need to be in place for such a culture to survive in the modern world, and what limitations are actually in place to ensure this survival.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)