|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was valued in Ivan's time that wasn't in Katerina's?
2. What did Vanya come to love about moving to the country?
3. What did Bear ask Yaga for?
4. What did Ivan go looking for in the morning at cousin Marek's?
5. What did children recognize before adults?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Katerina name Dimitri as the war leader?
2. How did Katerina react when Ivan said the witch's name?
3. How did Ivan justify what he had seen and heard in the forest as a child?
4. How did Ivan's parents' sacrifice weigh heavily on his mind? How did this affect the way he led his life?
5. Why did Vanya finally decide to let the Mohel circumcise him?
6. What problems occurred in Taina when Baba Yaga appeared?
7. What was Yaga supposed to have felt, but didn't?
8. What did Baba Yaga wish to gain from Bear?
9. In what ways was the young man that had rescued the princess not what Yaga had suspected?
10. Why is Nadya hesitant to show the Princess' hoose to her son and Father Lukas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Card provides a background story for Yaga that creates sympathy for her. Suggest reasons why Card does this, and doesn't create a background story for Katerina, regarding how she grew up, or Dimitri for why he is so quick to anger, or Bear for how he became a God.
Essay Topic 2
Esther laments on the fall of modern witchcraft and discusses how it has changed. Utilizing unbiased, scholarly sources, provide a detailed account of modern and ancient witchcraft and what it meant to the practitioners and what punishment was meted out and is still in place for practitioners of Paganism.
Essay Topic 3
Katerina and Ivan give their children all the choice in the world about what they want to do and who they want to be. Discuss how this might be a problem, with children having different lives in different worlds, and whether or not it makes them unsuited for either.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)