|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vanya's family lose?
(a) Their apartment.
(b) Their communities respect.
(c) All of these.
(d) Their dignity.
2. What does Ivan's mother pretend to do?
(a) To be uninformed about the world around her.
(b) To not notice Ruth's subtle cues.
(c) All of these.
(d) Not know English when it suits her.
3. What was the message on the piece of paper?
(a) Deliver this message.
(b) Don't come back.
(c) Follow your dreams.
(d) Always marry for love.
4. What is the only thing holding the Widow back?
(a) The law of righteousness.
(b) The law of succession.
(c) The law of redemption.
(d) The law of integrity.
5. What did Vanya come to love about moving to the country?
(a) The labor and intensity of work.
(b) That no one shunned him.
(c) The old forests of Europe that still survived.
(d) That he could still act like a Russian.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ivan thought about going home, where did he think about returning to?
2. Why does Brother Sergei believe that Ivan is already a Christian?
3. What class did Katerina think Ivan belonged to?
4. What happened in the clearing?
5. What does Ruth's mother keep saying about Ivan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivan deduce that Katerina and him should not be on the plane they got on?
2. In what ways was the young man that had rescued the princess not what Yaga had suspected?
3. What was the difference in the way cousin Marek and Ivan had gained their muscles and toned bodies?
4. What information does Bear give to Katerina to help her?
5. What was Ivan's excuse for not writing home?
6. What does rock and roll represent to Vanya's father?
7. How did Bear figure that things had worked out pretty evenly?
8. Why did Vanya finally decide to let the Mohel circumcise him?
9. Why was it unrealistic that Vanya was imagining Abraham in the forest and countryside? Why didn't this stop him from his fantasy?
10. Why did Mikola not write down his spells, despite the fact that he had thought about doing so?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)