|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused Katerina to fall asleep?
(a) She ate a poisoned apple.
(b) She was sung to sleep by Yaga.
(c) All of these.
(d) She pricked her finger on a spindle.
2. What does Ivan ask Brother Sergei to do?
(a) Write down the stories that he has been told so Ivan can preserve them.
(b) Both of these.
(c) Hide the stories from Father Lukas.
(d) Neither of these.
3. What was the moral of the story of the Sky, the Rat and the Well?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) That you must always keep a close watch on your children.
(c) That you must always keep your oaths because God is always your witness.
(d) Both of these.
4. What looked merciful compared to what Baba Yaga inflicted upon those who opposed her?
(a) Death by hanging.
5. What does Ivan wish to write the stories down on?
(a) Birch bark paper.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) Both of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the woman say to Ivan?
2. Why couldn't Ivan walk away and leave this task to someone else?
3. What did Ivan go looking for in the morning at cousin Marek's?
4. What did Ivan's father suggest that he return to Russia for?
5. What did Sergei write that made Ivan fearful?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why couldn't Yaga simply kill the girl and take over the kingdom?
2. How did Ivan solve the problem of the bear?
3. What was Ivan's excuse for not writing home?
4. What problems occurred in Taina when Baba Yaga appeared?
5. What dilemma does Katerina place on Father Lukas?
6. Why doesn't Esther take pupils and teach them what she knows, practice her witchcraft openly?
7. What information does Bear give to Katerina to help her?
8. How did Father Lukas die?
9. Why doesn't Ivan want to bring rockets into Taina?
10. Why is it an issue to call out Katerina's name and why must Ivan do so?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)