|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item assured Ivan that Taina was a doomed town?
(a) The lack of fortifications around the palace.
(b) The Orthodox cross, as Christianity had never been established in Ivan's time.
(c) Both of these.
(d) Neither of these.
2. What did Vanya find in the clearing?
(a) An endless carpet of pine needles.
(b) A coffin.
(c) A woman lying down.
(d) All of these.
3. Who is it that first brings to light Ivan's wearing of Katerina's hoose?
(b) Brother Sergei.
(c) An old crone.
(d) Father Lukas.
4. When Ivan thought about going home, where did he think about returning to?
(a) His mother's face.
(b) Ruth's embrace.
(c) His father's proud expression.
(d) The foothills of the Carpathian mountains.
5. What had Vanya figured had happened?
(a) He had hit his head harder than he had originally thought.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) He had imagined the whole thing.
(d) Both of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had been the burden on Ivan's shoulders?
2. What does Ruth's mother keep saying about Ivan?
3. What had it taken a long time to get out of the house?
4. What did Ivan compare himself to while talking to Katerina?
5. What happened when Ivan crossed the threshold of Katerina's world?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ivan solve the problem of the bear?
2. What happened to Esther when Ivan rescued the princess Katerina?
3. What did Baba Yaga wish to gain from Bear?
4. Why couldn't Yaga simply kill the girl and take over the kingdom?
5. What was Katerina's justification for their treatment and purchase of slaves?
6. What did Vanya's parents fear? What did they decide to do about it?
7. How did Ivan's parents' sacrifice weigh heavily on his mind? How did this affect the way he led his life?
8. What was Yaga supposed to have felt, but didn't?
9. Why did Vanya finally decide to let the Mohel circumcise him?
10. What problems occurred in Taina when Baba Yaga appeared?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)