|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruth's mother keep saying about Ivan?
(a) That he isn't right for Ruth.
(b) That he shouldn't have left for Russia.
(c) That he doesn't act like a young man in love.
(d) That he wouldn't make a good husband.
2. How old was Yaga when she was married and raped?
3. What happened to Esther that scared her?
(a) She hit her head.
(b) She had a nightmare in which Ivan disappeared.
(c) She had a nightmare in which an evil woman was killing Ivan.
(d) She felt as though she had miscarried, and so knew her son was gone.
4. What was valued in Ivan's time that wasn't in Katerina's?
5. What was it impossible for Katerina to imagine?
(a) Ivan as a king.
(b) Ivan defeating the Widow.
(c) Her as a queen.
(d) None of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan's mother say about Ruth?
2. What does Ivan wish to write the stories down on?
3. What does Ivan think when he notices Father Lukas' contempt for the local Slavs?
4. What did Ivan's father suggest that he return to Russia for?
5. What did Ivan say in Old Church Slavonic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bothered Ivan about his relationship with his father and why?
2. What did the Princess think of Ivan?
3. Why did Vanya finally decide to let the Mohel circumcise him?
4. Why can't Katerina name Dimitri as the war leader?
5. What problem does Ivan come across when he tries to justify his impending marriage to Ruth to Katerina?
6. How did Katerina react when Ivan said the witch's name?
7. What issue did Ivan have once he had hit the bear?
8. How did Ivan justify what he had seen and heard in the forest as a child?
9. Why was it unrealistic that Vanya was imagining Abraham in the forest and countryside? Why didn't this stop him from his fantasy?
10. What did Vanya's parents fear? What did they decide to do about it?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)