|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vanya's father lose?
(a) His job at the university.
(b) His mind.
(c) His religion.
(d) His pocket watch.
2. What did Ivan's father suggest that he return to Russia for?
(a) To regain his honor and dignity as a Russian citizen.
(b) To find his path in his motherland.
(c) To marry a Russian woman.
(d) To do his research for his dissertation.
3. What was Ivan's reason for going back to the clearing?
(a) To slay the beast guarding the woman.
(b) All of these.
(c) To meet the princess.
(d) To mend the tear in his psyche.
4. What language does Ivan switch to?
(a) Modern Ukrainian.
(c) Modern Russian.
(d) None of these.
5. What does Ivan's mother say about Ruth?
(a) That she will bring him nothing but misery.
(b) That she is a horrible woman that will cheat on him.
(c) That she is not the right woman for him.
(d) None of these.
6. What did Esther go looking for and finally find?
(a) A brass basin from England.
(b) A copper basin from Russia.
(c) A silver basin from Rome.
(d) A blue, clay basin from Spain.
7. What did Ivan go looking for in the morning at cousin Marek's?
(a) The outhouse.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) Both of these.
(d) Some food.
8. What looked merciful compared to what Baba Yaga inflicted upon those who opposed her?
(a) Death by hanging.
9. What did Ivan say in Old Church Slavonic?
(a) "Honey could not be as sweet as your smile, nor wine as intoxicating as your laugh".
(b) "You are beautiful and wise and I intend to marry you."
(c) None of these.
(d) "Your lips are the red of a thousand apples, and your eyes the green of none".
10. What color were the merchant's eyes?
11. What is the only thing holding the Widow back?
(a) The law of redemption.
(b) The law of righteousness.
(c) The law of integrity.
(d) The law of succession.
12. What was valued in Ivan's time that wasn't in Katerina's?
13. What did the merchant beg for?
(a) To be spared his life.
(b) To be allowed to go home.
(c) All of these.
(d) Yaga to let him keep the other of his eyes.
14. Where did Vanya's plane land?
15. What disturbed the water in front of Esther?
(a) None of these.
(b) A bat.
(c) An owl.
(d) A mouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What constellation did Katerina refer to?
2. What happened to Esther that scared her?
3. As a result of their argument, what did Katerina resolve?
4. What was the message on the piece of paper?
5. What justification did Vanya give for the clearing?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)