|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who searches for Jim after the air raid?
2. What does Jim have saved in his pocket for an emergency?
3. What are the "streets" in Lunghua Camp named for?
4. What does Dr. Ransome give Jim to give to Basie?
5. What exam is Jim supposed to take the day the fighting starts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Jim's return to Shanghai after the war been like?
2. Why is Jim so excited about the prospect of being in "Life" magazine?
3. Describe the pilot Jim meets at Lunghua.
4. What effects does the rumor that the Japanese will cut rations again have?
5. What kind of education is Dr. Ransom giving Jim?
6. Why doesn't Jim walk toward Shanghai?
7. What appears at the gates to Lunghua Camp on Jim's third day back?
8. What does Jim learn from reading the magazines dropped by the Americans?
9. What does Jim see just before he jumps from the blockhouse to retrieve his plane?
10. What convinces Jim that the war is actually over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay, discuss Jim's belief that there will be, and in fact is, a "next war." What is it, and where?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the development and meaning of the image of flies through the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of this statement: "He had learned that having someone to care for was the same as being cared for by someone else."
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)