|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim find to eat in the dentist's house?
2. What book does Jim read in one of the strange houses?
3. What is Jim's mother's costume for the party?
4. What does Basie take from Jim?
5. What does Jim use to fertilize the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jim when he returns to the truck outside of Nantao?
2. What changes does Jim notice in Shanghai when he ventures back out from the Maxteds' apartment?
3. What does Jim believe the public execution of the Chinese coolie is intended to prove?
4. What activity is taking place at Lunghua Camp when Jim first arrives?
5. How does Jim lose his bicycle?
6. How does Jim end up in the truck bound for Woosung?
7. Why is there fighting still going on around Shanghai?
8. What kind of education is Dr. Ransom giving Jim?
9. What does Jim think of while lying on Mrs. Vincent's bunk?
10. What does Jim see just before he jumps from the blockhouse to retrieve his plane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay, discuss the reasons Jim returns repeatedly to Lunghua.
Essay Topic 2
What is Jim's opinion of "the real meaning of war" and how does it develop?
Essay Topic 3
Which method of survival, Dr. Ransome's or Basie's, is more effective? Defend your answer.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)