|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim's family's car run over on its way to the party?
2. What does Basie give Jim when he visits his cubicle the day of the air raid?
3. Over what does Jim have a confrontation with Mr. Vincent at the end of Part 2, Chapter 27?
4. From what country does Basie tell Jim some of the pilots were?
5. What is in the middle of the overgrown field?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jim so affected by the sight of the dead kamikaze pilot?
2. What does Jim find at the end of Part 3, Chapter 40?
3. How does Jim lose his bicycle?
4. What is Jim's fascination with Vera's parents?
5. What does Jim find when he returns to the Lunghua Camp at the end of Part 3, Chapter 41?
6. What activity is taking place at Lunghua Camp when Jim first arrives?
7. Why is Jim so excited about the prospect of being in "Life" magazine?
8. How does Jim get his shoes back?
9. What effects does the rumor that the Japanese will cut rations again have?
10. How does Jim try to save Mr. Maxted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Jim's reaction to violence changes over the course of the novel, both violence that he witnesses and experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Using at least three examples, discuss how Ballard uses planes throughout the story. Do different country's planes mean different things? Does their meaning change?
Essay Topic 3
What is Jim's opinion of "the real meaning of war" and how does it develop?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)