|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the ditch at the southern end of the airfield?
2. Which of these is not a medicine Jim tells Basie is in Dr. Ransome's cabinet?
3. What does Basie give Jim when he visits his cubicle the day of the air raid?
4. What possession of Mrs. Partridge's does Basie sell to Mrs. Blackburn?
5. What are the English couple who joins the prisoners carrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jim lose his bicycle?
2. Why did Jim quit the cubs?
3. What happens when the truck of prisoners arrives at the second internment camp?
4. Describe the stadium as Jim sees it in daylight.
5. Where does Jim sleep at Lunghua Camp?
6. What does Jim find when he returns to Lunghua from his parents' house?
7. What does Jim do to pass the time in the empty houses where he stays?
8. What has Jim's return to Shanghai after the war been like?
9. What does Jim learn from reading the magazines dropped by the Americans?
10. What is the "shadow film"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is "the university of life" and how does it pertain to Jim's story?
Essay Topic 2
The Chinese people are an ever-present image throughout the novel. Using at least three examples, discuss the implications of their frequent appearance in the story. At what places and times are they most apparent? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Trace the evolution of Jim's belief in God over the course of the novel. Use at least three specific examples.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)