|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does the Japanese soldier put water for the prisoners?
2. What does Jim retrieve for Mr. Maxted from the Japanese soldiers?
3. What does Dr. Ransome give Jim to give to Basie?
4. In what Shanghai landmark is the detention center where Jim is held?
5. What has Dr. Ransome advised Jim to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jim's ride out of Lunghua.
2. What happens when Frank, Basie, and Jim drive into the western suburbs of Shanghai?
3. What is the "shadow film"?
4. What does Jim believe the public execution of the Chinese coolie is intended to prove?
5. Describe Basie's cubicle.
6. What jobs does Jim do for Basie?
7. What does Jim do to pass the time in the empty houses where he stays?
8. Describe the stadium as Jim sees it in daylight.
9. Who does Jim hide from in the wild rice?
10. Why does Jim not abandon his belongings with many of the other prisoners'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using at least three examples, discuss how Ballard uses planes throughout the story. Do different country's planes mean different things? Does their meaning change?
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, discuss Jim's belief that there will be, and in fact is, a "next war." What is it, and where?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dr. Ransome and Basie as surrogate father figures for Jim. How are they different? What is the common thread?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)