|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janine end up writing on the napkin?
2. What is the name of Francine's cat?
3. Who accompanies Zack to get pizza after the game?
4. Who owns the establishment in #4?
5. Whose image in the newspaper unsettles Miles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name the three events of Part 3, Chapter 15 which foreshadow coming events for the plot.
2. What inappropriate behavior does Jimmy reveal that makes Miles like him even less?
3. Explain how Jimmy Minty is a true product of his environment.
4. Explain the economic dynamics of the town as the story begins.
5. Describe how Zack Minty exhibits unsportsmanlike behavior and then manipulates the crowd at the football game.
6. Who is John Voss?
7. What is the Exacto knife and why does it signify foreshadowing for the plot?
8. How is Tick different from most of the residents of Empire Falls?
9. How does David want Miles to expand his business opportunities?
10. Explain how Miles is too good for his own good.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Russo liberally uses humor in the story to both entertain and convey character. Cite at least two examples which you find especially humorous.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Empire Falls. What is the significance of the river?
Essay Topic 3
Do a character sketch of Janine Roby including positive and negative characteristics. Why does Janine seem to vacillate between divorcing Miles or not.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)