|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had C.B. Whiting spent several years as an aspiring artist and poet?
2. On what number is Janine fixated as she sits at the ballgame?
3. Who is Candace?
4. Who is the unpopular kid that the school principal pushes off on Tick?
5. Whose image in the newspaper unsettles Miles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Max and what he represents in the town of Empire Falls.
2. Explain why Janine is obsessed with the number sixty as she sits at the football game.
3. What is the role of Timmy, the cat, in the story?
4. How is Miles' good heart exhibited in the scene with a hungover Buster?
5. Explain the significance of the river as a metaphor for life in Empire Falls.
6. How is Miles trying to improve the economy of Empire Falls?
7. Cite three examples of foreshadowing in Part 2, Chapter 12.
8. What does Father Mark represent in the story?
9. Explain how Jimmy Minty is a true product of his environment.
10. Name the three events of Part 3, Chapter 15 which foreshadow coming events for the plot.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Empire Falls. What is the significance of the river?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Russo liberally uses humor in the story to both entertain and convey character. Cite at least two examples which you find especially humorous.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)