|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal does Max see in the cemetery?
2. On what number is Janine fixated as she sits at the ballgame?
3. What does Janine spot on Walt's neck?
4. What does Janine call Miles?
5. What does Miles think David grows at his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Miles trying to improve the economy of Empire Falls?
2. Explain why the poison ivy is a metaphor in Part 1, Chapter 8.
3. How does Miles try to help John Voss.
4. What are the three elements consuming Janine's life at this point in time?
5. Why does Janine call Miles The Human Rut?
6. What does Father Mark represent in the story?
7. Explain how Jimmy Minty is a true product of his environment.
8. How does David want Miles to expand his business opportunities?
9. How is Miles' good heart exhibited in the scene with a hungover Buster?
10. Explain the economic dynamics of the town as the story begins.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toward the end of the story, John Voss commits a hideous crime. What is the crime and what were his motivations? Given John's background, can he be held accountable for what he has done? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Mrs. Whiting in the town? What is her role toward the Roby family? Why is she especially benevolent to them given the fact that Grace Roby had had an affair with her husband many years ago?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)