|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On whom did Jimmy have a lustful crush which remains today?
2. Who is Janine?
3. Where did Miles and Tick go on vacation?
4. Which of the following is not a primal urge according to Janine?
5. What did Cindy once do because of her love for Miles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Max and what he represents in the town of Empire Falls.
2. Explain the economic dynamics of the town as the story begins.
3. How does Miles try to help John Voss.
4. Explain the irony in Miles' not having driven a car before taking driver's education.
5. What does Father Mark represent in the story?
6. Explain how Miles is too good for his own good.
7. Cite three examples of foreshadowing in Part 2, Chapter 12.
8. How does David want Miles to expand his business opportunities?
9. Why does Janine call Miles The Human Rut?
10. What is the role of Timmy, the cat, in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the Martha's Vineyard trip, Miles becomes disenchanted with his mother's behavior with Charlie Mayne and he consequently loses his baseball to the ocean and leaves his ball glove at the hotel. What do these losses of his baseball equipment really represent?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Mrs. Whiting in the town? What is her role toward the Roby family? Why is she especially benevolent to them given the fact that Grace Roby had had an affair with her husband many years ago?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)