|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What recent injury does Miles have?
2. Who is Zack Minty?
3. What is the event that takes place in Part 3, Chapter 15?
4. What does David harass Miles about at the Lamplighter?
5. Who is the older priest at St. Catherine's Catholic Church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David keep pressuring Miles about a liquor license?
2. Who is John Voss?
3. Explain why Janine is obsessed with the number sixty as she sits at the football game.
4. What revelation does Miles get when he examines an old photo in the newspaper?
5. Describe how Zack Minty exhibits unsportsmanlike behavior and then manipulates the crowd at the football game.
6. Describe Max and what he represents in the town of Empire Falls.
7. What inappropriate behavior does Jimmy reveal that makes Miles like him even less?
8. Explain why the poison ivy is a metaphor in Part 1, Chapter 8.
9. Cite three examples of foreshadowing in Part 2, Chapter 12.
10. Explain the irony in Miles' not having driven a car before taking driver's education.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Tick Roby. She seems amazingly well adjusted for her circumstances. What are her motivations? What are her fears?
Essay Topic 2
Who do you think is the real father of Miles and David Roby--Max or C.B. Whiting? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Do a character sketch of Miles Roby including positive and negative characteristics. Why is Miles the protagonist in the story?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)