|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Janine?
2. What does Tick do when Candace cuts herself with an Exacto knife?
3. What is Janine wearing at the game?
4. Walt is ________________ older than Janine.
5. What is the wealthiest family in Empire Falls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miles try to help John Voss.
2. Explain why Janine is obsessed with the number sixty as she sits at the football game.
3. Cite three examples of foreshadowing in Part 2, Chapter 12.
4. What are the three elements consuming Janine's life at this point in time?
5. Describe Max and what he represents in the town of Empire Falls.
6. Explain how Miles is too good for his own good.
7. Explain the significance of the river as a metaphor for life in Empire Falls.
8. How do you know that Janine is having second thoughts about marrying Walt?
9. Why does David keep pressuring Miles about a liquor license?
10. Why does Janine call Miles The Human Rut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The river becomes almost a character itself. Create a character sketch of the river complete with positive and negative characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
Do a character sketch of Janine Roby including positive and negative characteristics. Why does Janine seem to vacillate between divorcing Miles or not.
Essay Topic 3
Principal Meyer notes that "the apple didn't fall far from the tree" in the case of Jimmy Minty and his son, Zack. Explain what Principal Meyer means by this statement.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)