|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of business does Miles' brother want Miles to buy in Martha's Vineyard?
(a) Bed and breakfast
(b) Gift shop
2. What is the nickname for the rectory at St. Catherine's Church?
(a) The Rectum
(b) The last chance
(c) The refractory
(d) The rectifier
3. Who is Bea Majeski?
(a) Miles' mother-in-law
(b) Candice's sister
(c) Janine's hair stylist
(d) Tick's art teacher
4. Jimmy's father teaches him that all things are determined by an elite group who _________________________________.
(a) "don't give a damn about other people"
(b) "have the whole thing figured out"
(c) "have a head start on life"
(d) "have better educations"
5. What is Miles' mother's job?
(a) A secretary at the factory
(b) A nurse at the hospital
(c) A waitress at a tavern
(d) Personal assistant to Mrs. Whiting
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname for Walt Comeau?
2. Who sometimes takes Cindy to the cemetery?
3. Where did Miles and Tick go on vacation?
4. Where do Miles and his mother go on vacation when Miles is nine years old?
5. Why is Miles a little late in arriving?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of the river as a metaphor for life in Empire Falls.
2. Explain the economic dynamics of the town as the story begins.
3. Explain why the poison ivy is a metaphor in Part 1, Chapter 8.
4. Describe Max and what he represents in the town of Empire Falls.
5. What is the setting for the story?
6. Explain the irony in Miles' not having driven a car before taking driver's education.
7. How does David want Miles to expand his business opportunities?
8. What is the role of Timmy, the cat, in the story?
9. Explain how the driving lesson with Mrs. Whiting helps Miles overcome his fear.
10. What revelation does Miles get when he examines an old photo in the newspaper?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)