|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sometimes takes Cindy to the cemetery?
(a) James Minty
(c) Father Tom
2. What does Miles discover from the newspaper photo?
(a) There are no black people in the photo
(b) The mill has burned down
(c) The people are all dead now
(d) C.B. Whiting is the man he knew as Charles Mayne
3. Who is Tick's art teacher?
(a) Mrs. Roderigue
(b) Mr. Rogers
(c) Mrs. Robinson
(d) Mr. Roberts
4. Who is Candace?
(a) Tick's mother
(b) Tick's best friend
(c) Tick's partner in art class
(d) Tick's sister
5. Who is Max?
(a) Miles' father
(b) Candice's brother
(c) Janine's ex-husband
(d) Tick's boyfriend
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Principal Meyer tell Miles about Tick?
2. What is the event that takes place in Part 3, Chapter 15?
3. The idea that Miles should be kicked out of driver's education until he learns to drive is _________________.
4. What does Miles forget when he leaves Martha's Vineyard?
5. Where does Max want to move?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you know that Janine is having second thoughts about marrying Walt?
2. Explain how Jimmy Minty is a true product of his environment.
3. Cite three examples of foreshadowing in Part 2, Chapter 12.
4. How is Tick different from most of the residents of Empire Falls?
5. Describe Max and what he represents in the town of Empire Falls.
6. What is the setting for the story?
7. Why does David keep pressuring Miles about a liquor license?
8. Name the three events of Part 3, Chapter 15 which foreshadow coming events for the plot.
9. Explain the significance of the river as a metaphor for life in Empire Falls.
10. Why does Janine call Miles The Human Rut?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)