|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Zack Minty?
(a) The new kid in town
(b) Tick's old boyfriend
(c) Tick's stepbrother
(d) The newspaper editor
2. What does Max want Miles to do?
(a) Lose some weight
(b) Marry Cindy Whiting
(c) Sell the restaurant
(d) Learn French
3. With whom do Cindy and Miles have a conversation at the game?
(a) Jimmy Minty
(b) Principal Meyer
(d) Father Tom
4. Why is Miles a little late in arriving?
(a) He had a flat tire
(b) He went to the ATM
(c) He took John Voss home
(d) He went home to shower
5. Who is Mrs. Whiting's crippled daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janine spot on Walt's neck?
2. Where does Zack ask Tick to go?
3. Who does Miles find asleep at the counter of the Grill in Part 3, Chapter 18?
4. At what sport does Zack excel?
5. What is the nickname for Walt Comeau?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Father Mark represent in the story?
2. Why does David keep pressuring Miles about a liquor license?
3. Describe Max and what he represents in the town of Empire Falls.
4. Explain the significance of the river as a metaphor for life in Empire Falls.
5. What are the three elements consuming Janine's life at this point in time?
6. What is the setting for the story?
7. How is Miles trying to improve the economy of Empire Falls?
8. Explain the economic dynamics of the town as the story begins.
9. How is Miles' good heart exhibited in the scene with a hungover Buster?
10. Explain how Jimmy Minty is a true product of his environment.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)