|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is John Voss at this point in time?
(a) In foster care
(b) The mental hospital in Augusta
(c) Prison in Portland
(d) Transferred to a different school
2. What was Miles' mother's name?
3. Where did John Voss' parents put him as an infant so they could party?
(a) In a laundry sack hanging in the closet
(b) In a locked bedroom
(c) In a playpen
(d) At the neighbors' house
4. What topic do Mrs. Whiting and Miles' mother speak of only once?
(a) Illegitimate children
(c) C.B. Whiting
5. Which of the following does not describe Walt?
(a) Getting his Master's Degree
(b) Losing all his money
(c) Refusing to grow old gracefully
(d) Becoming impotent
6. What does Janine call to tell Miles?
(a) She has split up with Walt
(b) Walt is dead
(c) The Empire Grill burned down
(d) She has cancer
7. What is Justin Dibble's nickname?
(a) Just in Time
(b) Just in Case
(c) Justin Dribble
(d) Double Dibble
8. What does Miles tell Bea about Janine?
(a) She has been in an accident
(b) She is going to stop in later
(c) He thinks she is having second thoughts
(d) She has taken Tick out of state
9. What is a rumor buzzing around Empire Falls lately?
(a) The Chief of Police is resigning
(b) The Superintendent of Schools is having an affair
(c) Mrs. Whiting is moving to Europe
(d) Someone may be interested in buying the old shirt factory
10. What does John Voss bring into school?
(a) A latte
(b) A revolver
(c) His lunch
(d) A painting
11. What does Principal Meyer discover when he goes to John Voss' house?
(a) The grandmother is injured on the floor
(b) The grandmother is dead
(c) There is no grandmother
(d) All the doors and windows are wide open
12. Who does Janine pick up along the way to the Grill?
(a) Father Mark
13. Who does Miles learn has drowned in the river?
(a) Father Tom
(b) Mrs. Whiting
14. With what is Tick attempting to defend herself when Miles sees her at the school?
(a) Ball bat
(b) Exacto knife
(c) Bunsen burner
15. Miles works at the Empire Grill in exchange for _____________________________.
(a) a car
(b) an internship
(c) Mrs. Whiting paying his mother's medical bills
(d) a measly paycheck
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Zack's sick game?
2. What has Zack "borrowed" from his father?
3. Where have Miles and Tick spent the winter recuperating?
4. Where are Zack and Justin parked?
5. It is clear that Grace loves Cindy more than ____________.
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)