|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fifth forest scene?
2. What kind of drama is Emperor Jones?
3. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fourth forest scene?
4. How does Emperor Jones free himself from the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
5. How is Emperor Jones killed?
Essay Topic 1
What do we know about characters through how they speak? How does Emperor Jones' speech change throughout the play? What does the change in his speech tell us about his experience? What other voices do we hear? Do they change as well?
Essay Topic 2
How does the action of the play affect you as a viewer? Are you sympathetic to Emperor Jones' situation or does he seem like a villain? Do you want him to escape, or do you want him to be caught and killed? How does the play manipulate your sympathies and expectations? Do you feel relieved at the conclusion? Do you feel that justice has been done?
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Jones is almost offered up as a sacrifice to the crocodile. What else is sacrificed in the play? Describe three sacrifices. What is given up? What does the sacrificer hope to obtain in return?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)