|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emperor Jones stand in for in the fourth forest scene?
2. What does the setting in the fifth forest scene represent?
3. Emperor Jones sees a scene in Act 1 Scene 5. Where does one of the figures in his vision gesture for him to stand?
4. What does the sixth forest scene tell us about Emperor Jones' wanderings?
5. How do the figures move in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones strips off his clothing as the play goes on. Describe three instances where clothing is important in the play and describe the symbolic significance of clothing in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Does Emperor Jones simply get what is coming to him, or does he learn anything through the course of the play?
Essay Topic 3
What do we know about characters through how they speak? How does Emperor Jones' speech change throughout the play? What does the change in his speech tell us about his experience? What other voices do we hear? Do they change as well?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)