|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lem tell Smithers when Smithers does not believe what he tells him in the final scene?
2. What does Emperor Jones feel when he realizes his part in the vision he sees in the fourth forest scene?
3. Which term describes the tone of the fourth forest scene?
4. What is the state of Emperor Jones' clothing as the fourth forest scene begins?
5. How did the natives 'do right by' Emperor Jones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Emperor Jones received in America when it premiered in 1929? What does it tell us about America in 1929 that it got the responses it did? What does it tell us about how blacks were treated in America at the time?
Essay Topic 2
What do we know about characters through how they speak? How does Emperor Jones' speech change throughout the play? What does the change in his speech tell us about his experience? What other voices do we hear? Do they change as well?
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Jones uses violence to solve certain problems in his life, but he is brought down by an act of violence himself. Compare and contrast his murder of Jeff and his murder by the natives. How are they similar? How are they different? Is one act of violence equivalent to another? Is one more or less just than the other?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)