|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which term describes the development of the plot of Emperor Jones?
2. What is the irony at the end of Emperor Jones?
3. Is Emperor Jones moving any closer to freedom in the fifth forest scene?
4. Who enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones?
5. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fourth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones is haunted by scenes from America's slave-holding history. How is Emperor Jones in the same position as the slaves? How is his situation different?
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Jones uses violence to solve certain problems in his life, but he is brought down by an act of violence himself. Compare and contrast his murder of Jeff and his murder by the natives. How are they similar? How are they different? Is one act of violence equivalent to another? Is one more or less just than the other?
Essay Topic 3
What is the moral of Emperor Jones? Does the play teach a moral? If you think it does, describe how that lesson is presented. If you think that it does not, what does it teach us, if not a moral?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)