|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do we learn from the interaction between what Emperor Jones says and what the figures say in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
2. Who enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones?
3. What atmosphere does the drumming create during the fourth forest scene?
4. Where does the fifth forest scene open?
5. What is the setting of the sixth forest scene?
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones is almost offered up as a sacrifice to the crocodile. What else is sacrificed in the play? Describe three sacrifices. What is given up? What does the sacrificer hope to obtain in return?
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Jones strips off his clothing as the play goes on. Describe three instances where clothing is important in the play and describe the symbolic significance of clothing in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Research essay. How has this play been staged in the past? Taking what you can from past reviews, describe the physical properties of professional productions.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)