|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What structure predominates over the sixth forest scene?
2. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fifth forest scene?
3. What do we learn from the interaction between what Emperor Jones says and what the figures say in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
4. The fact that Emperor Jones is killed by a silver bullet made from money is a form of what?
5. What does Emperor Jones feel when he realizes his part in the vision he sees in the fourth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research essay. How has this play been staged in the past? Taking what you can from past reviews, describe the physical properties of professional productions.
Essay Topic 2
What do we know about characters through how they speak? How does Emperor Jones' speech change throughout the play? What does the change in his speech tell us about his experience? What other voices do we hear? Do they change as well?
Essay Topic 3
Does Emperor Jones simply get what is coming to him, or does he learn anything through the course of the play?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)