|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the tom-tom coming from in the last scene?
2. How does Emperor Jones free himself from the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
3. Whom does Emperor Jones resemble in his dress in the fifth forest scene?
4. What apparition does Emperor Jones see in this fourth forest scene?
5. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fourth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones is almost offered up as a sacrifice to the crocodile. What else is sacrificed in the play? Describe three sacrifices. What is given up? What does the sacrificer hope to obtain in return?
Essay Topic 2
How has the situation of American blacks changed since 1929, when this play was written? Have they overcome the challenges Emperor Jones faces, or represents himself as having faced? Has the ambiguity of the play's ending been resolved by multiculturalism? Cite instances from recent history as well as instances from the script.
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Jones' visions portray both historical and personal scenes. Describe the effect of the historical scenes, and the personal scenes, and compare and contrast the scenes. Is Emperor Jones a historical play, or a play about one man's flight from justice?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)