|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the state of Emperor Jones' clothing as the fourth forest scene begins?
2. Who is the first character to enter in the final scene?
3. What is Emperor Jones afraid of at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
4. Which literary term best approximates the sound Emperor Jones makes in the fifth forest scene?
5. Which musical term describes the change in the sound of the tom-tom at the end of the fourth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has the situation of American blacks changed since 1929, when this play was written? Have they overcome the challenges Emperor Jones faces, or represents himself as having faced? Has the ambiguity of the play's ending been resolved by multiculturalism? Cite instances from recent history as well as instances from the script.
Essay Topic 2
How does the action of the play affect you as a viewer? Are you sympathetic to Emperor Jones' situation or does he seem like a villain? Do you want him to escape, or do you want him to be caught and killed? How does the play manipulate your sympathies and expectations? Do you feel relieved at the conclusion? Do you feel that justice has been done?
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Jones makes a lot of money by ruling over the natives, but he is killed by money as well in the form of melted down silver coins. How does money appear in the play? What does it buy? What can it not buy? Are there other forms of exchange that use a different currency?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)