|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fifth forest scene?
2. What kind of drama is Emperor Jones?
3. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fourth forest scene?
4. How does Emperor Jones free himself from the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
5. How is Emperor Jones killed?
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones strips off his clothing as the play goes on. Describe three instances where clothing is important in the play and describe the symbolic significance of clothing in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Are the natives any better off now that they have killed Emperor Jones? Is there any evidence that they might not be?
Essay Topic 3
How does the action of the play affect you as a viewer? Are you sympathetic to Emperor Jones' situation or does he seem like a villain? Do you want him to escape, or do you want him to be caught and killed? How does the play manipulate your sympathies and expectations? Do you feel relieved at the conclusion? Do you feel that justice has been done?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)