|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the figures saying in Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
2. What can we gather from the fact that Emperor Jones does not shoot anyone in the apparition in the fifth forest scene?
3. What does Smithers ask Emperor Jones after the natives bring him in during the final scene?
4. Which term describes the figure of the crocodile in Emperor Jones' final vision?
5. Where is the tom-tom coming from in the last scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has the situation of American blacks changed since 1929, when this play was written? Have they overcome the challenges Emperor Jones faces, or represents himself as having faced? Has the ambiguity of the play's ending been resolved by multiculturalism? Cite instances from recent history as well as instances from the script.
Essay Topic 2
Research essay. How has this play been staged in the past? Taking what you can from past reviews, describe the physical properties of professional productions.
Essay Topic 3
Are the natives any better off now that they have killed Emperor Jones? Is there any evidence that they might not be?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)