|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fifth forest scene?
2. How has time progressed in Emperor Jones' first five visions?
3. What does the setting in the fifth forest scene represent?
4. What does Lem tell Smithers when Smithers does not believe what he tells him in the final scene?
5. What role is Emperor Jones supposed to play in the other person in the sixth scene's plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the moral of Emperor Jones? Does the play teach a moral? If you think it does, describe how that lesson is presented. If you think that it does not, what does it teach us, if not a moral?
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Jones takes advantage of the natives' superstition. Cite three instances of superstition in the play and describe the belief behind each one. Is there another way of believing in things in this play? Does superstition reveal its limitations as a method of belief? Does it reveal its strength? Is one kind of superstition more powerful than another when it comes to Emperor Jones' feelings, or his power over the natives, or Jones' guilt?
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Jones uses violence to solve certain problems in his life, but he is brought down by an act of violence himself. Compare and contrast his murder of Jeff and his murder by the natives. How are they similar? How are they different? Is one act of violence equivalent to another? Is one more or less just than the other?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)