|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which term describes the figure of the crocodile in Emperor Jones' final vision?
2. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in his final vision?
3. What has changed about Emperor Jones' appearance as the fifth forest scene begins?
4. Where is the tom-tom coming from in the last scene?
5. How do the figures move in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones is almost offered up as a sacrifice to the crocodile. What else is sacrificed in the play? Describe three sacrifices. What is given up? What does the sacrificer hope to obtain in return?
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Jones takes advantage of the natives' superstition. Cite three instances of superstition in the play and describe the belief behind each one. Is there another way of believing in things in this play? Does superstition reveal its limitations as a method of belief? Does it reveal its strength? Is one kind of superstition more powerful than another when it comes to Emperor Jones' feelings, or his power over the natives, or Jones' guilt?
Essay Topic 3
How has the situation of American blacks changed since 1929, when this play was written? Have they overcome the challenges Emperor Jones faces, or represents himself as having faced? Has the ambiguity of the play's ending been resolved by multiculturalism? Cite instances from recent history as well as instances from the script.
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)