|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the forest come to symbolize over the course of the five forest scenes so far?
2. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fifth forest scene?
3. What state is Emperor Jones in when the natives bring him back in the final scene?
4. Which term describes the development of the plot of Emperor Jones?
5. What atmosphere does the drumming create during the fourth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones uses violence to solve certain problems in his life, but he is brought down by an act of violence himself. Compare and contrast his murder of Jeff and his murder by the natives. How are they similar? How are they different? Is one act of violence equivalent to another? Is one more or less just than the other?
Essay Topic 2
How does the action of the play affect you as a viewer? Are you sympathetic to Emperor Jones' situation or does he seem like a villain? Do you want him to escape, or do you want him to be caught and killed? How does the play manipulate your sympathies and expectations? Do you feel relieved at the conclusion? Do you feel that justice has been done?
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific instances from the text, describe three literary devices O'Neill uses in Emperor Jones. These might include foreshadowing, characterization, symbolism, dialect, metaphor, etc. How does the literary device appear in the play? How does it enhance the plot, building the play toward a crisis and then resolving that crisis?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)