|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Emperor Jones moving any closer to freedom in the fifth forest scene?
2. What do we learn from the interaction between what Emperor Jones says and what the figures say in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
3. Where is the tom-tom coming from in the last scene?
4. Someone enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones. What does that figure represent to Emperor Jones?
5. What does Emperor Jones use to dispel his final vision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Smithers is the only white man in the play, and the witch doctor and Lem and the old woman in the first scene are the only natives with speaking roles. Compare and contrast the roles of the white and black characters. How are they the same? How are they different? What difference does skin color make in this play? What can Smithers do that the natives cannot, and vice versa? Are these characters presented as individuals, or as typifying their respective races?
Essay Topic 2
How was Emperor Jones received in America when it premiered in 1929? What does it tell us about America in 1929 that it got the responses it did? What does it tell us about how blacks were treated in America at the time?
Essay Topic 3
What are the different justifications for authority in Emperor Jones? Does the play shift from one kind of authority to another? Citing specific examples from the script, describe the different claims to authority in Emperor Jones.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)