|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Someone enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones. What does that figure represent to Emperor Jones?
2. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in his final vision?
3. What does Smithers have difficulty believing in the final scene?
4. What does the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fourth forest scene tell us about the development of the play?
5. What structure predominates over the sixth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are the natives any better off now that they have killed Emperor Jones? Is there any evidence that they might not be?
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific instances from the text, describe three literary devices O'Neill uses in Emperor Jones. These might include foreshadowing, characterization, symbolism, dialect, metaphor, etc. How does the literary device appear in the play? How does it enhance the plot, building the play toward a crisis and then resolving that crisis?
Essay Topic 3
What are the different justifications for authority in Emperor Jones? Does the play shift from one kind of authority to another? Citing specific examples from the script, describe the different claims to authority in Emperor Jones.
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)