|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the irony at the end of Emperor Jones?
2. What does Lem tell Smithers when Smithers does not believe what he tells him in the final scene?
3. Which religion predominates in Emperor Jones' final vision?
4. What does the setting in the fifth forest scene represent?
5. Which literary term describes the interaction between Emperor Jones' voice and the voices of the figures in his vision in the fifth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The witch doctor dances in front of Emperor Jones and he makes it clear that Jones is a force of evil and he should be sacrificed. How is evil defined in the play? Are there different definitions? Does one definition prevail over the others? Do you think that the author agrees with any one particular character's ideas of evil?
Essay Topic 2
What are the different justifications for authority in Emperor Jones? Does the play shift from one kind of authority to another? Citing specific examples from the script, describe the different claims to authority in Emperor Jones.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific instances from the text, describe three literary devices O'Neill uses in Emperor Jones. These might include foreshadowing, characterization, symbolism, dialect, metaphor, etc. How does the literary device appear in the play? How does it enhance the plot, building the play toward a crisis and then resolving that crisis?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)