|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones say at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
2. How does the tone of the fifth forest scene change?
3. What structure predominates over the sixth forest scene?
4. What does the setting in the fifth forest scene represent?
5. What has changed about Emperor Jones' appearance as the fifth forest scene begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones is almost offered up as a sacrifice to the crocodile. What else is sacrificed in the play? Describe three sacrifices. What is given up? What does the sacrificer hope to obtain in return?
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific instances from the text, describe three literary devices O'Neill uses in Emperor Jones. These might include foreshadowing, characterization, symbolism, dialect, metaphor, etc. How does the literary device appear in the play? How does it enhance the plot, building the play toward a crisis and then resolving that crisis?
Essay Topic 3
What do we know about characters through how they speak? How does Emperor Jones' speech change throughout the play? What does the change in his speech tell us about his experience? What other voices do we hear? Do they change as well?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)