|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wrongdoing does Emperor Jones admit to in the fourth forest scene?
2. Which term describes the figure of the crocodile in Emperor Jones' final vision?
3. How does Emperor Jones dispel his final vision?
4. Where does the fifth forest scene open?
5. What does Emperor Jones see in the fifth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research essay. How has this play been staged in the past? Taking what you can from past reviews, describe the physical properties of professional productions.
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Jones is almost offered up as a sacrifice to the crocodile. What else is sacrificed in the play? Describe three sacrifices. What is given up? What does the sacrificer hope to obtain in return?
Essay Topic 3
Describe three things Emperor Jones is guilty about. Does he purge his guilt for any or all of them? Does he use different methods to purge his guilt over any one of the things he has done? Does he ever get free of his guilt or is he killed with guilt heavy on his conscience?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)