|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of Emperor Jones dispelling his final vision?
2. Which term describes the tone of the fourth forest scene?
3. What does Emperor Jones see in the fifth forest scene?
4. What does Emperor Jones feel when he realizes his part in the vision he sees in the fourth forest scene?
5. Someone enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones. What does that person do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are the natives any better off now that they have killed Emperor Jones? Is there any evidence that they might not be?
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Jones strips off his clothing as the play goes on. Describe three instances where clothing is important in the play and describe the symbolic significance of clothing in the play.
Essay Topic 3
How does the action of the play affect you as a viewer? Are you sympathetic to Emperor Jones' situation or does he seem like a villain? Do you want him to escape, or do you want him to be caught and killed? How does the play manipulate your sympathies and expectations? Do you feel relieved at the conclusion? Do you feel that justice has been done?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)