|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones feel about the thing he throws into the bushes in the fourth forest scene?
2. What has changed about Emperor Jones' appearance as the fifth forest scene begins?
3. Which term describes the development of the plot of Emperor Jones?
4. What are the figures saying in Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
5. What is the tone of Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones strips off his clothing as the play goes on. Describe three instances where clothing is important in the play and describe the symbolic significance of clothing in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Henry Smithers is the only white man in the play, and the witch doctor and Lem and the old woman in the first scene are the only natives with speaking roles. Compare and contrast the roles of the white and black characters. How are they the same? How are they different? What difference does skin color make in this play? What can Smithers do that the natives cannot, and vice versa? Are these characters presented as individuals, or as typifying their respective races?
Essay Topic 3
The witch doctor dances in front of Emperor Jones and he makes it clear that Jones is a force of evil and he should be sacrificed. How is evil defined in the play? Are there different definitions? Does one definition prevail over the others? Do you think that the author agrees with any one particular character's ideas of evil?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)