|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary term describes the apparition in the fourth forest scene?
2. Which literary term describes the interaction between Emperor Jones' voice and the voices of the figures in his vision in the fifth forest scene?
3. What are the figures saying in Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
4. How are the figures positioned in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
5. What does the other figure in the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones intend to do?
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones is haunted by scenes from America's slave-holding history. How is Emperor Jones in the same position as the slaves? How is his situation different?
Essay Topic 2
Are the natives any better off now that they have killed Emperor Jones? Is there any evidence that they might not be?
Essay Topic 3
Describe three things Emperor Jones is guilty about. Does he purge his guilt for any or all of them? Does he use different methods to purge his guilt over any one of the things he has done? Does he ever get free of his guilt or is he killed with guilt heavy on his conscience?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)