|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of Emperor Jones dispelling his final vision?
2. What does the sixth forest scene tell us about Emperor Jones' wanderings?
3. The fact that Emperor Jones is killed by a silver bullet made from money is a form of what?
4. How has time progressed in Emperor Jones' first five visions?
5. Someone enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones. What does that person do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Emperor Jones received in America when it premiered in 1929? What does it tell us about America in 1929 that it got the responses it did? What does it tell us about how blacks were treated in America at the time?
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Jones uses violence to solve certain problems in his life, but he is brought down by an act of violence himself. Compare and contrast his murder of Jeff and his murder by the natives. How are they similar? How are they different? Is one act of violence equivalent to another? Is one more or less just than the other?
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Jones' visions portray both historical and personal scenes. Describe the effect of the historical scenes, and the personal scenes, and compare and contrast the scenes. Is Emperor Jones a historical play, or a play about one man's flight from justice?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)