Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fifth forest scene?
2. What kind of drama is Emperor Jones?
3. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fourth forest scene?
4. How does Emperor Jones free himself from the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
5. How is Emperor Jones killed?
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones is haunted by scenes from America's slave-holding history. How is Emperor Jones in the same position as the slaves? How is his situation different?
Essay Topic 2
What are the different justifications for authority in Emperor Jones? Does the play shift from one kind of authority to another? Citing specific examples from the script, describe the different claims to authority in Emperor Jones.
Essay Topic 3
Henry Smithers is the only white man in the play, and the witch doctor and Lem and the old woman in the first scene are the only natives with speaking roles. Compare and contrast the roles of the white and black characters. How are they the same? How are they different? What difference does skin color make in this play? What can Smithers do that the natives cannot, and vice versa? Are these characters presented as individuals, or as typifying their respective races?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)