|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in the fourth forest scene?
2. Which musical term describes the change in the sound of the tom-tom at the end of the fourth forest scene?
3. How is Emperor Jones killed?
4. What is Emperor Jones afraid of at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
5. Which religion predominates in Emperor Jones' final vision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones is almost offered up as a sacrifice to the crocodile. What else is sacrificed in the play? Describe three sacrifices. What is given up? What does the sacrificer hope to obtain in return?
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Jones' visions portray both historical and personal scenes. Describe the effect of the historical scenes, and the personal scenes, and compare and contrast the scenes. Is Emperor Jones a historical play, or a play about one man's flight from justice?
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Jones strips off his clothing as the play goes on. Describe three instances where clothing is important in the play and describe the symbolic significance of clothing in the play.
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)