|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emperor Jones stand in for in the fourth forest scene?
2. How does Emperor Jones feel when he enters the sixth forest scene?
3. What does the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fourth forest scene tell us about the development of the play?
4. The fact that Emperor Jones is killed by a silver bullet made from money is a form of what?
5. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in the fourth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The witch doctor dances in front of Emperor Jones and he makes it clear that Jones is a force of evil and he should be sacrificed. How is evil defined in the play? Are there different definitions? Does one definition prevail over the others? Do you think that the author agrees with any one particular character's ideas of evil?
Essay Topic 2
Does Emperor Jones simply get what is coming to him, or does he learn anything through the course of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Smithers is the only white man in the play, and the witch doctor and Lem and the old woman in the first scene are the only natives with speaking roles. Compare and contrast the roles of the white and black characters. How are they the same? How are they different? What difference does skin color make in this play? What can Smithers do that the natives cannot, and vice versa? Are these characters presented as individuals, or as typifying their respective races?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)