|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes in the fourth forest scene?
2. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in the fourth forest scene?
3. Which literary term describes a plot in which two characters effectively change places?
4. Which literary term describes the interaction between Emperor Jones' voice and the voices of the figures in his vision in the fifth forest scene?
5. What does Emperor Jones do once he sees his part in the vision in the fourth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Emperor Jones received in America when it premiered in 1929? What does it tell us about America in 1929 that it got the responses it did? What does it tell us about how blacks were treated in America at the time?
Essay Topic 2
The witch doctor dances in front of Emperor Jones and he makes it clear that Jones is a force of evil and he should be sacrificed. How is evil defined in the play? Are there different definitions? Does one definition prevail over the others? Do you think that the author agrees with any one particular character's ideas of evil?
Essay Topic 3
What is the moral of Emperor Jones? Does the play teach a moral? If you think it does, describe how that lesson is presented. If you think that it does not, what does it teach us, if not a moral?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)