|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has time progressed in Emperor Jones' first five visions?
2. Where does Lem say he got his silver bullet?
3. How is the apparition in the fourth forest scene different from the previous apparitions?
4. Where is the tom-tom coming from in the last scene?
5. Is the apparition in the fourth forest scene from Emperor Jones' past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Emperor Jones is almost offered up as a sacrifice to the crocodile. What else is sacrificed in the play? Describe three sacrifices. What is given up? What does the sacrificer hope to obtain in return?
Essay Topic 2What do we know about characters through how they speak? How does Emperor Jones' speech change throughout the play? What does the change in his speech tell us about his experience? What other voices do we hear? Do they change as well?
Essay Topic 3How has the situation of American blacks changed since 1929, when this play was written? Have they overcome the challenges Emperor Jones faces, or represents himself as having faced? Has the ambiguity of the play's ending been resolved by multiculturalism? Cite instances from recent history as well as instances from the script.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)