|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary term describes the interaction between Emperor Jones' voice and the voices of the figures in his vision in the fifth forest scene?
2. How have the tom-tom beats changed at the end of the sixth forest scene?
3. What does Emperor Jones feel when he realizes his part in the vision he sees in the fourth forest scene?
4. Where does the fourth forest scene begin?
5. Which literary term describes a plot in which two characters effectively change places?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the different justifications for authority in Emperor Jones? Does the play shift from one kind of authority to another? Citing specific examples from the script, describe the different claims to authority in Emperor Jones.
Essay Topic 2
What is the moral of Emperor Jones? Does the play teach a moral? If you think it does, describe how that lesson is presented. If you think that it does not, what does it teach us, if not a moral?
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Jones is almost offered up as a sacrifice to the crocodile. What else is sacrificed in the play? Describe three sacrifices. What is given up? What does the sacrificer hope to obtain in return?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)