|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the beat of the tom-tom change at the end of Act 1, Scene 5?
2. Where does Lem say he got his silver bullet?
3. How is the apparition in the fourth forest scene different from the previous apparitions?
4. What is the significance of the silver bullet?
5. Whom does Emperor Jones resemble in his dress in the fifth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific instances from the text, describe three literary devices O'Neill uses in Emperor Jones. These might include foreshadowing, characterization, symbolism, dialect, metaphor, etc. How does the literary device appear in the play? How does it enhance the plot, building the play toward a crisis and then resolving that crisis?
Essay Topic 2
What are the different justifications for authority in Emperor Jones? Does the play shift from one kind of authority to another? Citing specific examples from the script, describe the different claims to authority in Emperor Jones.
Essay Topic 3
Describe three things Emperor Jones is guilty about. Does he purge his guilt for any or all of them? Does he use different methods to purge his guilt over any one of the things he has done? Does he ever get free of his guilt or is he killed with guilt heavy on his conscience?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)