|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emperor Jones sees figures in the forest. What do they seem to know?
2. How long does Jones think he has been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
3. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
4. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
5. Where does the third forest scene begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the native woman going in the first scene?
2. What are two explanations for the identity of the chain gang?
3. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind in the second scene.
4. How does Emperor Jones' experience in the second scene echo his experience in America?
5. What is the cue for the formless fears to appear?
6. What does Emperor Jones do when he sees Jeff?
7. In what way is Emperor Jones' situation ironic?
8. Describe the setting for Scene 6, the fifth forest scene.
9. How does Emperor Jones' appearance change in the third forest scene?
10. What does Emperor Jones do when he understands what the figure in the sixth forest scene's apparition wants from him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research essay. How has this play been staged in the past? Taking what you can from past reviews, describe the physical properties of professional productions.
Essay Topic 2
How has the situation of American blacks changed since 1929, when this play was written? Have they overcome the challenges Emperor Jones faces, or represents himself as having faced? Has the ambiguity of the play's ending been resolved by multiculturalism? Cite instances from recent history as well as instances from the script.
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Jones' visions portray both historical and personal scenes. Describe the effect of the historical scenes, and the personal scenes, and compare and contrast the scenes. Is Emperor Jones a historical play, or a play about one man's flight from justice?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)