|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Emperor Jones changed in the first four scenes?
2. What is the first thing Emperor Jones asks Smithers?
3. How does Emperor Jones return to the forest at the end of the second forest scene?
4. What color is Jones' uniform?
5. What do the natives mistakenly think about Emperor Jones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting where Act 1, Scene 4 begins.
2. What is the significance of Emperor Jones' clothing in the fifth forest scene?
3. What does the figure in the sixth forest scene's apparition communicate to Emperor Jones?
4. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the first scene.
5. Describe how Emperor Jones changes his clothing in the fourth forest scene.
6. Describe the structure at the center of the stage as the sixth forest scene opens.
7. How does Emperor Jones feel when he talks to Jeff, but Jeff does not respond?
8. Which characters talk about Jones in the final scene? What do they say?
9. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the second forest scene.
10. Explain how Emperor Jones attained his authority over the natives.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones strips off his clothing as the play goes on. Describe three instances where clothing is important in the play and describe the symbolic significance of clothing in the play.
Essay Topic 2
How does the action of the play affect you as a viewer? Are you sympathetic to Emperor Jones' situation or does he seem like a villain? Do you want him to escape, or do you want him to be caught and killed? How does the play manipulate your sympathies and expectations? Do you feel relieved at the conclusion? Do you feel that justice has been done?
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Jones makes a lot of money by ruling over the natives, but he is killed by money as well in the form of melted down silver coins. How does money appear in the play? What does it buy? What can it not buy? Are there other forms of exchange that use a different currency?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)