|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones decide to do after he rings for the servants?
2. Where did Emperor Jones learn the ways of the white man?
3. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
4. How much light is there in the scene where Emperor Jones sees the formless black figures?
5. How well has Emperor Jones prepared for his flight from the palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones' appearance change in the third forest scene?
2. What is the cue for the formless fears to appear?
3. What does Emperor Jones do when he sees Jeff?
4. What is it that gives Emperor Jones the courage to act in the fourth forest scene?
5. Describe the irony in the natives' method for killing Emperor Jones.
6. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene.
7. What progress, if any, has Emperor Jones made in the fifth forest scene?
8. Contrast Emperor Jones' status in the first scene with his status at the end of the sixth forest scene.
9. In what way is the routine of the palace out of the ordinary as the play begins?
10. How are the formless fears manifested on stage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones is almost offered up as a sacrifice to the crocodile. What else is sacrificed in the play? Describe three sacrifices. What is given up? What does the sacrificer hope to obtain in return?
Essay Topic 2
Does Emperor Jones simply get what is coming to him, or does he learn anything through the course of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Research essay. How has this play been staged in the past? Taking what you can from past reviews, describe the physical properties of professional productions.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)