|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Emperor Jones first fires his gun in the forest?
2. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
3. What does Emperor Jones feel when he sees Jeff in the second forest scene?
4. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
5. The black figures that Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene are amused by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones do when he understands what the figure in the sixth forest scene's apparition wants from him?
2. What effect does Emperor Jones create by stripping off his clothes?
3. Before he sees Jeff, Emperor Jones surveys himself and assesses his plight. How does he feel about his situation?
4. How long has Emperor Jones been walking when the second forest scene begins?
5. Describe the setting when the second scene begins.
6. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the second forest scene.
7. What happens between the prison guard and Emperor Jones?
8. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the sixth forest scene.
9. Describe the setting where Act 1, Scene 4 begins.
10. How does Emperor Jones' experience in the second scene echo his experience in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the action of the play affect you as a viewer? Are you sympathetic to Emperor Jones' situation or does he seem like a villain? Do you want him to escape, or do you want him to be caught and killed? How does the play manipulate your sympathies and expectations? Do you feel relieved at the conclusion? Do you feel that justice has been done?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Smithers is the only white man in the play, and the witch doctor and Lem and the old woman in the first scene are the only natives with speaking roles. Compare and contrast the roles of the white and black characters. How are they the same? How are they different? What difference does skin color make in this play? What can Smithers do that the natives cannot, and vice versa? Are these characters presented as individuals, or as typifying their respective races?
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Jones strips off his clothing as the play goes on. Describe three instances where clothing is important in the play and describe the symbolic significance of clothing in the play.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)