|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Emperor Jones laugh at the beginning of the second forest scene?
2. What do the dark figures represent who Emperor Jones sees in the woods?
3. How does Emperor Jones say he killed Jeff?
4. How does Emperor Jones return to the forest at the end of the second forest scene?
5. What does Emperor Jones' flight recall to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the first scene.
2. Describe how Emperor Jones changes his clothing in the fourth forest scene.
3. Describe the setting for the first scene of the play.
4. How does Jones break the spell of the apparition in the fifth forest scene?
5. List two interpretations of Jones' vision in the fourth forest scene.
6. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind in the second scene.
7. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene.
8. What is Smithers' relationship to Emperor Jones?
9. What is the cue for the formless fears to appear?
10. How does the sound of the tom-tom change over the course of the second forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Emperor Jones simply get what is coming to him, or does he learn anything through the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Jones makes a lot of money by ruling over the natives, but he is killed by money as well in the form of melted down silver coins. How does money appear in the play? What does it buy? What can it not buy? Are there other forms of exchange that use a different currency?
Essay Topic 3
How does the action of the play affect you as a viewer? Are you sympathetic to Emperor Jones' situation or does he seem like a villain? Do you want him to escape, or do you want him to be caught and killed? How does the play manipulate your sympathies and expectations? Do you feel relieved at the conclusion? Do you feel that justice has been done?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)