|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the tom-tom drumming change at the end of the second forest scene?
2. What does this third apparition tell us about Jones' past?
3. Where did Emperor Jones learn the ways of the white man?
4. What does Jeff say when Emperor Jones speaks to him?
5. What color is Jones' uniform?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene.
2. How have the natives prepared to kill Emperor Jones?
3. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the sixth forest scene.
4. What happens between the prison guard and Emperor Jones?
5. What irony does Smithers point out in the final scene?
6. What does the audience learn about Emperor Jones from the apparition he sees in Act 1, Scene 4?
7. Explain how Emperor Jones attained his authority over the natives.
8. List two interpretations of Jones' vision in the fourth forest scene.
9. What effect does Emperor Jones create by stripping off his clothes?
10. What are two explanations for the identity of the chain gang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones' visions portray both historical and personal scenes. Describe the effect of the historical scenes, and the personal scenes, and compare and contrast the scenes. Is Emperor Jones a historical play, or a play about one man's flight from justice?
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Jones strips off his clothing as the play goes on. Describe three instances where clothing is important in the play and describe the symbolic significance of clothing in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Does Emperor Jones simply get what is coming to him, or does he learn anything through the course of the play?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)