|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement describes the eyes of the figures whom Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene?
2. What color is the throne?
3. Which literary term defines Jeff's apparition?
4. What is Jeff doing when Emperor Jones sees him?
5. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the beginning of the second forest scene to ease Emperor Jones' fears?
2. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the fourth forest scene.
3. In what way is Emperor Jones' situation ironic?
4. In what way is the routine of the palace out of the ordinary as the play begins?
5. What is the cue for the formless fears to appear?
6. Describe how Emperor Jones changes his clothing in the fourth forest scene.
7. Contrast Emperor Jones' status in the first scene with his status at the end of the sixth forest scene.
8. How does Emperor Jones' experience in the second scene echo his experience in America?
9. Before he sees Jeff, Emperor Jones surveys himself and assesses his plight. How does he feel about his situation?
10. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the first scene.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones takes advantage of the natives' superstition. Cite three instances of superstition in the play and describe the belief behind each one. Is there another way of believing in things in this play? Does superstition reveal its limitations as a method of belief? Does it reveal its strength? Is one kind of superstition more powerful than another when it comes to Emperor Jones' feelings, or his power over the natives, or Jones' guilt?
Essay Topic 2
How was Emperor Jones received in America when it premiered in 1929? What does it tell us about America in 1929 that it got the responses it did? What does it tell us about how blacks were treated in America at the time?
Essay Topic 3
What is the moral of Emperor Jones? Does the play teach a moral? If you think it does, describe how that lesson is presented. If you think that it does not, what does it teach us, if not a moral?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)