|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emperor Jones tell the natives that only one person can kill him--who is that?
2. How much light is there in the scene where Emperor Jones sees the formless black figures?
3. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
4. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
5. How does Emperor Jones feel when he is orienting himself in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones dispel the apparition in Act 1, Scene 7?
2. Where is the native woman going in the first scene?
3. What irony does Smithers point out in the final scene?
4. How does Emperor Jones' experience in the second scene echo his experience in America?
5. What does Emperor Jones do when he understands what the figure in the sixth forest scene's apparition wants from him?
6. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the sixth forest scene.
7. What is Smithers' relationship to Emperor Jones?
8. Describe Jeff's appearance in the second forest scene.
9. Explain how Emperor Jones attained his authority over the natives.
10. How is Emperor Jones different in the palace than he was when he was in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Emperor Jones received in America when it premiered in 1929? What does it tell us about America in 1929 that it got the responses it did? What does it tell us about how blacks were treated in America at the time?
Essay Topic 2
Are the natives any better off now that they have killed Emperor Jones? Is there any evidence that they might not be?
Essay Topic 3
Describe three things Emperor Jones is guilty about. Does he purge his guilt for any or all of them? Does he use different methods to purge his guilt over any one of the things he has done? Does he ever get free of his guilt or is he killed with guilt heavy on his conscience?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)