|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
2. How well has Emperor Jones prepared for his flight from the palace?
3. Who does Emperor Jones see after he talks to himself when he enters in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. What does Smithers tell Emperor Jones to look out for when Jones is leaving the palace?
5. Emperor Jones tell the natives that only one person can kill him--who is that?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones see in the fifth forest scene?
2. In what way is Emperor Jones' situation ironic?
3. What irony does Smithers point out in the final scene?
4. Describe the irony in the natives' method for killing Emperor Jones.
5. How is Emperor Jones different in the palace than he was when he was in America?
6. Describe the setting for Scene 6, the fifth forest scene.
7. What is the significance of Emperor Jones' clothing in the fifth forest scene?
8. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene.
9. What happens at the beginning of the second forest scene to ease Emperor Jones' fears?
10. How does Jones break the spell of the apparition in the fifth forest scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones makes a lot of money by ruling over the natives, but he is killed by money as well in the form of melted down silver coins. How does money appear in the play? What does it buy? What can it not buy? Are there other forms of exchange that use a different currency?
Essay Topic 2
What do we know about characters through how they speak? How does Emperor Jones' speech change throughout the play? What does the change in his speech tell us about his experience? What other voices do we hear? Do they change as well?
Essay Topic 3
What are the different justifications for authority in Emperor Jones? Does the play shift from one kind of authority to another? Citing specific examples from the script, describe the different claims to authority in Emperor Jones.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)