Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
2. The allegorical appearance of figures can also be described as what literary device?
3. What happens when Emperor Jones rings for the servants?
4. Which statement describes the eyes of the figures whom Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene?
5. What does the omnipresence of the tom-tom drumming tell us about Emperor Jones' state of mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting where Act 1, Scene 4 begins.
2. What happens at the beginning of the second forest scene to ease Emperor Jones' fears?
3. How is Emperor Jones different in the palace than he was when he was in America?
4. Contrast the vision Emperor Jones has in the fourth forest scene with the first vision he has.
5. What relationship binds Emperor Jones to the figures in the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
6. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind when the fourth forest scene opens.
7. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the second forest scene.
8. Some of Emperor Jones' apparitions are racial memories. What does this conclusion say about the state or the future of the black race?
9. How are the formless fears manifested on stage?
10. Describe Jeff's appearance in the second forest scene.
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific instances from the text, describe three literary devices O'Neill uses in Emperor Jones. These might include foreshadowing, characterization, symbolism, dialect, metaphor, etc. How does the literary device appear in the play? How does it enhance the plot, building the play toward a crisis and then resolving that crisis?
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Jones' visions portray both historical and personal scenes. Describe the effect of the historical scenes, and the personal scenes, and compare and contrast the scenes. Is Emperor Jones a historical play, or a play about one man's flight from justice?
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Jones is almost offered up as a sacrifice to the crocodile. What else is sacrificed in the play? Describe three sacrifices. What is given up? What does the sacrificer hope to obtain in return?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)