|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement describes the eyes of the figures whom Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene?
2. Who gestures to Emperor Jones to join the figures in the apparition?
3. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
4. What does Emperor Jones do to make Jeff disappear?
5. Who are the figures Emperor Jones sees working in this third forest scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What progress, if any, has Emperor Jones made in the fifth forest scene?
2. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the second forest scene.
3. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the first scene.
4. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the sixth forest scene.
5. What gives Emperor Jones his confidence when he learns that the natives are rising against him?
6. How does Emperor Jones' experience in the second scene echo his experience in America?
7. What does Emperor Jones do when he sees Jeff?
8. How does Emperor Jones feel when he talks to Jeff, but Jeff does not respond?
9. Why was Emperor Jones foolish to fire his gun at the formless fears?
10. Contrast Emperor Jones' status in the first scene with his status at the end of the sixth forest scene.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the action of the play affect you as a viewer? Are you sympathetic to Emperor Jones' situation or does he seem like a villain? Do you want him to escape, or do you want him to be caught and killed? How does the play manipulate your sympathies and expectations? Do you feel relieved at the conclusion? Do you feel that justice has been done?
Essay Topic 2
How was Emperor Jones received in America when it premiered in 1929? What does it tell us about America in 1929 that it got the responses it did? What does it tell us about how blacks were treated in America at the time?
Essay Topic 3
Research essay. How has this play been staged in the past? Taking what you can from past reviews, describe the physical properties of professional productions.
This section contains 1,533 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)