|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
2. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when the leader of that group turns his back to Emperor Jones?
3. What is the basis for Smithers' authority in the palace?
4. What happens to lift Emperor Jones' spirits at the beginning of the second forest scene?
5. How has the beat of the tom-tom changed when the second forest scene opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the tom-tom drumming change during the course of the fourth forest scene?
2. List two interpretations of Jones' vision in the fourth forest scene.
3. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the first scene.
4. How does Jones break the spell of the apparition in the fifth forest scene?
5. Describe the irony in the natives' method for killing Emperor Jones.
6. How does Emperor Jones' experience in the second scene echo his experience in America?
7. What is the significance of Emperor Jones' clothing in the fifth forest scene?
8. What relationship binds Emperor Jones to the figures in the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
9. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind in the second scene.
10. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind when the fourth forest scene opens.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones' visions portray both historical and personal scenes. Describe the effect of the historical scenes, and the personal scenes, and compare and contrast the scenes. Is Emperor Jones a historical play, or a play about one man's flight from justice?
Essay Topic 2
What is the moral of Emperor Jones? Does the play teach a moral? If you think it does, describe how that lesson is presented. If you think that it does not, what does it teach us, if not a moral?
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Jones is haunted by scenes from America's slave-holding history. How is Emperor Jones in the same position as the slaves? How is his situation different?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)