|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the throne?
2. What literary term describes Emperor Jones' language when he shoots at the apparition?
3. What happens to lift Emperor Jones' spirits at the beginning of the second forest scene?
4. Emperor Jones sees figures in the forest. What do they seem to know?
5. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind at the beginning of the third forest scene.
2. What happens between the prison guard and Emperor Jones?
3. How does Emperor Jones feel when he talks to Jeff, but Jeff does not respond?
4. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind in the second scene.
5. Contrast the vision Emperor Jones has in the fourth forest scene with the first vision he has.
6. Where is the native woman going in the first scene?
7. Describe the setting for Act 1, Scene 5, the fourth forest scene.
8. Describe the setting for Scene 6, the fifth forest scene.
9. How long has Emperor Jones been walking when the second forest scene begins?
10. Some of Emperor Jones' apparitions are racial memories. What does this conclusion say about the state or the future of the black race?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe three things Emperor Jones is guilty about. Does he purge his guilt for any or all of them? Does he use different methods to purge his guilt over any one of the things he has done? Does he ever get free of his guilt or is he killed with guilt heavy on his conscience?
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Jones uses violence to solve certain problems in his life, but he is brought down by an act of violence himself. Compare and contrast his murder of Jeff and his murder by the natives. How are they similar? How are they different? Is one act of violence equivalent to another? Is one more or less just than the other?
Essay Topic 3
Does Emperor Jones simply get what is coming to him, or does he learn anything through the course of the play?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)