|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting where the play begins?
2. What happens to Emperor Jones when he sees the apparition in the third forest scene?
3. The black figures that Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene are amused by what?
4. How does the tom-tom drumming change at the end of the second forest scene?
5. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' speech to the figures he sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones do when he sees Jeff?
2. What effect do the formless fears have on Emperor Jones?
3. Explain how Emperor Jones attained his authority over the natives.
4. What does Emperor Jones see in the fifth forest scene?
5. What is the significance of Emperor Jones' clothing in the fifth forest scene?
6. Describe the setting where the final scene opens.
7. Some of Emperor Jones' apparitions are racial memories. What does this conclusion say about the state or the future of the black race?
8. How does the tom-tom drumming change during the course of the fourth forest scene?
9. What is the cue for the formless fears to appear?
10. How does Emperor Jones' experience in the second scene echo his experience in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The witch doctor dances in front of Emperor Jones and he makes it clear that Jones is a force of evil and he should be sacrificed. How is evil defined in the play? Are there different definitions? Does one definition prevail over the others? Do you think that the author agrees with any one particular character's ideas of evil?
Essay Topic 2
Does Emperor Jones simply get what is coming to him, or does he learn anything through the course of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Jones strips off his clothing as the play goes on. Describe three instances where clothing is important in the play and describe the symbolic significance of clothing in the play.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)