|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary style describes the scenes in which Emperor Jones sees apparitions?
2. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
3. How far away was Emperor Jones' would-be assassin when the gun misfired?
4. What is the throne in the palace made of?
5. What do the natives mistakenly think about Emperor Jones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the first scene.
2. Why was Emperor Jones foolish to fire his gun at the formless fears?
3. List two interpretations of Jones' vision in the fourth forest scene.
4. How well prepared is Emperor Jones for the experience of fleeing the palace?
5. What gives Emperor Jones his confidence when he learns that the natives are rising against him?
6. How have the natives prepared to kill Emperor Jones?
7. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind at the beginning of the third forest scene.
8. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind when the fourth forest scene opens.
9. What effect do the formless fears have on Emperor Jones?
10. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the fourth forest scene.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The witch doctor dances in front of Emperor Jones and he makes it clear that Jones is a force of evil and he should be sacrificed. How is evil defined in the play? Are there different definitions? Does one definition prevail over the others? Do you think that the author agrees with any one particular character's ideas of evil?
Essay Topic 2
Are the natives any better off now that they have killed Emperor Jones? Is there any evidence that they might not be?
Essay Topic 3
How was Emperor Jones received in America when it premiered in 1929? What does it tell us about America in 1929 that it got the responses it did? What does it tell us about how blacks were treated in America at the time?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)