|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the people Emperor Jones sees in his vision in Act 1, Scene 4, one is in charge. What does he carry?
2. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
3. Who tried but failed to kill Emperor Jones?
4. What kind of gun does Emperor Jones carry?
5. How does Emperor Jones feel when he is orienting himself in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the sixth forest scene.
2. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the second forest scene.
3. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind at the beginning of the third forest scene.
4. What are two explanations for the identity of the chain gang?
5. Explain how Emperor Jones attained his authority over the natives.
6. What does the audience learn about Emperor Jones from the apparition he sees in Act 1, Scene 4?
7. How does Emperor Jones feel when he talks to Jeff, but Jeff does not respond?
8. How does the sound of the tom-tom change over the course of the second forest scene?
9. What relationship binds Emperor Jones to the figures in the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
10. Describe the structure at the center of the stage as the sixth forest scene opens.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Jones makes a lot of money by ruling over the natives, but he is killed by money as well in the form of melted down silver coins. How does money appear in the play? What does it buy? What can it not buy? Are there other forms of exchange that use a different currency?
Essay Topic 2
Research essay. How has this play been staged in the past? Taking what you can from past reviews, describe the physical properties of professional productions.
Essay Topic 3
How was Emperor Jones received in America when it premiered in 1929? What does it tell us about America in 1929 that it got the responses it did? What does it tell us about how blacks were treated in America at the time?
This section contains 1,470 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)