|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which literary term describes the apparition in the fourth forest scene?
(a) Ancestral memory.
2. What does Emperor Jones do when he comes on stage in the fourth forest scene?
(a) Stalk around the stage, making threats.
(b) Shoot the rebellious natives.
(c) Sit on a stump and put his head in his hands.
(d) Talk about killing himself.
3. Which term describes the development of the plot of Emperor Jones?
4. How does the tone of the fifth forest scene change?
(a) From despair to redemptive ancestor-pride.
(b) From despair to abject horror.
(c) From dread to misery.
(d) From exhaustion to exhilaration.
5. What kind of drama is Emperor Jones?
(a) Slave narrative.
(b) Morality play.
(c) Sentimental drama.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which religion predominates in Emperor Jones' final vision?
2. Emperor Jones sees a scene in Act 1 Scene 5. Where does one of the figures in his vision gesture for him to stand?
3. Is the apparition in the fourth forest scene from Emperor Jones' past?
4. What are the figures saying in Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
5. What does Lem tell Smithers when Smithers does not believe what he tells him in the final scene?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)