|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the figures saying in Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
(a) They are asking him to free them.
(b) They are demanding an end to their suffering.
(c) They are telling him to run until he is free.
(d) They are moaning along with him.
2. What does Emperor Jones do when he enters the sixth forest scene?
(a) Shoots at the statues.
(b) Lies on the ground moaning in fear.
(c) Installs himself on the throne.
(d) Begs for forgiveness.
3. What does Emperor Jones do when he comes on stage in the fourth forest scene?
(a) Shoot the rebellious natives.
(b) Sit on a stump and put his head in his hands.
(c) Talk about killing himself.
(d) Stalk around the stage, making threats.
4. Which musical term describes the change in the sound of the tom-tom at the end of the fourth forest scene?
5. What does the sixth forest scene tell us about Emperor Jones' wanderings?
(a) He has traveled to the place where the natives will find him.
(b) He is far away from the palace and totally disoriented.
(c) He has eluded his pursuers, and knows where to run to.
(d) He has finally made it to a place of safety.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which answer represents the setting when the last scene opens?
2. How are the figures positioned in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
3. What is the tone of Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
4. What has changed about Emperor Jones' appearance as the fifth forest scene begins?
5. How does the beat of the tom-tom change at the end of Act 1, Scene 5?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)