|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Smithers have difficulty believing in the final scene?
(a) That he himself had not been emperor in Jones' place.
(b) That Lem and his soldiers have been tracking Emperor Jones all night.
(c) That Jones ever positioned himself to rule over the natives.
(d) That Jones evaded Lem and his soldiers all night.
2. What is the irony at the end of Emperor Jones?
(a) Jones manipulated the natives by saying that he could only be killed by a silver bullet, but they killed him with a silver bullet after all.
(b) Jones had always claimed to be immortal, but the natives threatened his life and he showed them that he was afraid of death.
(c) Jones had run away from imprisonment in America, and then he died of his freedom in the West Indies.
(d) Jones swore that he could only be killed by a silver bullet, but he died of self-inflicted injuries and exhaustion.
3. What does Emperor Jones use to dispel his final vision?
(a) His jacket.
(b) A shovel.
(c) His shoes.
(d) His silver bullet.
4. What does Emperor Jones say at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
(a) He tells himself that he will be free.
(b) He pleads for mercy because of his suffering.
(c) He vows to kill Smithers.
(d) He is only moaning.
5. Which musical term describes the change in the sound of the tom-tom at the end of the fourth forest scene?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lem say he got his silver bullet?
2. How does the beat of the tom-tom change at the end of Act 1, Scene 5?
3. How have the natives triumphed by the end of the play?
4. What is the tone of Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
5. Is the apparition in the fourth forest scene from Emperor Jones' past?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)