|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What atmosphere does the drumming create during the fourth forest scene?
(a) Disorder and confusion.
(b) Blood-boiling desperation.
(c) Artful beauty.
(d) Meditative calm.
2. What is the significance of the silver bullet?
(a) Slaves had used silver bullets to kill slave owners in an earlier revolt.
(b) Superstition required a silver bullet to kill the crocodile god Emperor Jones represented.
(c) Emperor Jones had claimed that it was the only thing that could kill him.
(d) The natives believe that emperors could only be killed by silver bullets.
3. What has changed about Emperor Jones' appearance as the fifth forest scene begins?
(a) He looks like a native god.
(b) He is beginning to resemble a native cheiftan.
(c) He is practically naked because his clothes are so tattered.
(d) His pants are so tattered that he seems to be wearing only a loincloth.
4. What does the setting in the fifth forest scene represent?
(a) The hold of a slave ship.
(b) A graveyard.
(c) A prison cell.
(d) The barracks of a plantation.
5. How has time progressed in Emperor Jones' first five visions?
(a) Forward to the current state of American blacks.
(b) Back to the beginning of slavery.
(c) Back to American blacks' roots in Africa.
(d) Back to Jones' personal origins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of drama is Emperor Jones?
2. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in the fourth forest scene?
3. How does Emperor Jones feel about the thing he throws into the bushes in the fourth forest scene?
4. What wrongdoing does Emperor Jones admit to in the fourth forest scene?
5. Which rhetorical term describes Emperor Jones' request for assistance?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)