|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones feel about the thing he throws into the bushes in the fourth forest scene?
(a) He is relieved to throw away his shirt because it is wet.
(b) He is glad to be rid of his jacket, which is no longer useful.
(c) He is sad to give up his gun because he has no more bullets.
(d) He is reluctant to lose his shoes, which were once patent leather.
2. Where is the tom-tom coming from in the last scene?
(a) Off at a distance.
(b) Right on stage.
(c) Very close by.
(d) Back at the palace.
3. How are the figures positioned in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
(a) They are seated with their backs against the forest walls.
(b) They are stacked the way slaves were stacked on slave ships.
(c) They surround Jones like a hostile mob.
(d) They are huddled together in a mass.
4. What does Emperor Jones say at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
(a) He pleads for mercy because of his suffering.
(b) He tells himself that he will be free.
(c) He vows to kill Smithers.
(d) He is only moaning.
5. How does the tone of the fifth forest scene change?
(a) From exhaustion to exhilaration.
(b) From despair to abject horror.
(c) From dread to misery.
(d) From despair to redemptive ancestor-pride.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sixth forest scene tell us about Emperor Jones' wanderings?
2. What does Lem tell Smithers when Smithers does not believe what he tells him in the final scene?
3. What is the state of Emperor Jones' clothing as the fourth forest scene begins?
4. Who is the first character to enter in the final scene?
5. Where does Lem say he got his silver bullet?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)