|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the fifth forest scene open?
(a) At a crossroads in the forest.
(b) In the palace.
(c) In a clearing in the forest.
(d) In an overgrown part of the forest.
2. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fifth forest scene?
(a) Further into the forest.
(b) Back toward the palace.
(c) He stays put.
(d) Toward the light.
3. How are the figures positioned in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
(a) They surround Jones like a hostile mob.
(b) They are stacked the way slaves were stacked on slave ships.
(c) They are huddled together in a mass.
(d) They are seated with their backs against the forest walls.
4. What is Emperor Jones afraid of at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
(a) Formless fears.
(c) Imminent capture.
5. What does Lem tell Smithers when Smithers does not believe what he tells him in the final scene?
(a) He recounts Emperor Jones' sins and describes Jones' death.
(b) He pledges to rid the island of whites and emperors.
(c) He insists they have almost caught Emperor Jones.
(d) He tells Smithers that the witch doctor put a spell on Emperor Jones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the tom-tom coming from in the last scene?
2. How do the figures move in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
3. What does the setting in the fifth forest scene represent?
4. Who enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones?
5. Which religion predominates in Emperor Jones' final vision?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)