|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What structure predominates over the sixth forest scene?
(a) A rough stone altar.
(b) The palace.
(c) A prison.
(d) A slave ship.
2. What does Smithers ask Emperor Jones after the natives bring him in during the final scene?
(a) Can I rule now in your place?
(b) Where are your airs now?
(c) What did you do with the money?
(d) Couldn't you find your food?
3. How are the figures positioned in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
(a) They are seated with their backs against the forest walls.
(b) They surround Jones like a hostile mob.
(c) They are stacked the way slaves were stacked on slave ships.
(d) They are huddled together in a mass.
4. Is Emperor Jones moving any closer to freedom in the fifth forest scene?
(a) He is trading freedom for responsibility.
(c) He is losing freedom, but gaining wisdom.
5. What has the forest come to symbolize over the course of the five forest scenes so far?
(a) The chaos at the heart of the universe.
(b) The redemptive fecundity of nature.
(c) The darkness in the heart of men.
(d) Emperor Jones' racial history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones use to dispel his final vision?
2. How does Emperor Jones free himself from the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
3. Emperor Jones sees a scene in Act 1 Scene 5. Where does one of the figures in his vision gesture for him to stand?
4. Someone enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones. What does that person do?
5. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in his final vision?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)