|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the people Emperor Jones sees in his vision in Act 1, Scene 4, one is in charge. What does he carry?
(b) A shovel.
(c) A pick.
(d) A whip.
2. How do Emperor Jones and Smithers keep each other in their respective roles?
(a) They kill each other's enemies.
(b) They know secrets about each other.
(c) They plot together against the medicine man.
(d) They agree to share power.
3. How long has Jones been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) A full day.
(b) Not long.
(c) All night.
(d) Half a day.
4. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
(a) They walk on long tentacles.
(b) They run on long legs.
(c) They seethe and boil like an ocean.
(d) They try to stand but fall over.
5. What happens to lift Emperor Jones' spirits at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) The moonlight makes it easier to see.
(b) Smithers shows up with a torch.
(c) He finds the food he had hidden.
(d) One of the natives leads Jones through the forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the tom-tom drumming when Emperor Jones shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
2. Where did Emperor Jones learn the ways of the white man?
3. Who tried but failed to kill Emperor Jones?
4. What does Emperor Jones lose in the forest?
5. What does Emperor Jones do after he shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which characters talk about Jones in the final scene? What do they say?
2. What happens between the prison guard and Emperor Jones?
3. Describe the irony in the natives' method for killing Emperor Jones.
4. List two interpretations of Jones' vision in the fourth forest scene.
5. What is the significance of Emperor Jones' clothing in the fifth forest scene?
6. Contrast Emperor Jones' status in the first scene with his status at the end of the sixth forest scene.
7. Before he sees Jeff, Emperor Jones surveys himself and assesses his plight. How does he feel about his situation?
8. Describe the setting where the final scene opens.
9. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind in the second scene.
10. What does the figure in the sixth forest scene's apparition communicate to Emperor Jones?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)