|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What does he say to their leader?
(a) He swears he will kill him.
(b) He says that he is in charge here.
(c) He promises to avenge his imprisonment.
(d) He proclaims his innocence.
2. What is Jeff wearing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) Jones' old clothes.
(b) A loincloth and cartridge belt.
(c) A Pullman porter's suit.
(d) A loincloth.
3. Who tried but failed to kill Emperor Jones?
(b) The witch doctor.
4. What does the omnipresence of the tom-tom drumming tell us about Emperor Jones' state of mind?
(a) That he is a passive participant in his life now.
(b) That he cannot escape from this situation.
(c) That he will no longer swindle the natives.
(d) That he is dreaming all of this.
5. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
(a) To distance himself from his own authority.
(b) To avoid conflict with the natives.
(c) To outflank the natives.
(d) To confront the natives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
2. What atmosphere does the tom-tom drumming create?
3. How has Emperor Jones' appearance changed since the scene with the black figures?
4. The allegorical appearance of figures can also be described as what literary device?
5. What does Smithers tell Emperor Jones to look out for when Jones is leaving the palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene.
2. Describe Jeff's appearance in the second forest scene.
3. How does Emperor Jones' experience in the second scene echo his experience in America?
4. Describe how Emperor Jones changes his clothing in the fourth forest scene.
5. How is Emperor Jones different in the palace than he was when he was in America?
6. What irony does Smithers point out in the final scene?
7. What effect does Emperor Jones create by stripping off his clothes?
8. Describe the irony in the natives' method for killing Emperor Jones.
9. What does Emperor Jones do when he sees Jeff?
10. What does the audience learn about Emperor Jones from the apparition he sees in Act 1, Scene 4?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)