|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What atmosphere does the tom-tom drumming create?
(a) Impending doom.
(b) Lingering regret.
(d) Savage anger.
2. What is the basis for Smithers' authority in the palace?
(a) He is the emperor.
(b) He is a white man.
(c) He is the emperor's right hand man.
(d) He is a medicine man.
3. Why was Emperor Jones foolish to have fired his gun in the forest?
(a) He is wasting his last remaining bullets.
(b) He is killing natives and angering native leaders.
(c) He is ruining the palace.
(d) The natives will know where he is.
4. What literary term describes Emperor Jones' language when he shoots at the apparition?
5. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes?
(a) His striped pants.
(b) His jacket and spurs.
(c) His gun.
(d) His food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which term describes how Emperor Jones speaks after he leaves the palace?
2. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
3. Who gestures to Emperor Jones to join the figures in the apparition?
4. What does Emperor Jones feel when he sees Jeff in the second forest scene?
5. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when Emperor Jones shoots at the leader?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the native woman going in the first scene?
2. Some of Emperor Jones' apparitions are racial memories. What does this conclusion say about the state or the future of the black race?
3. What does Emperor Jones do when he sees Jeff?
4. What irony does Smithers point out in the final scene?
5. What is Smithers' relationship to Emperor Jones?
6. How are the formless fears manifested on stage?
7. How does Emperor Jones dispel the apparition in Act 1, Scene 7?
8. Contrast Emperor Jones' status in the first scene with his status at the end of the sixth forest scene.
9. Describe the irony in the natives' method for killing Emperor Jones.
10. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the first scene.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)