|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jones do when he appears at the beginning of the third forest scene?
(a) He runs about wildly.
(b) He sees Jeff's apparition.
(c) He stops to catch his breath.
(d) He encounters the witch doctor.
2. Emperor Jones tell the natives that only one person can kill him--who is that?
(b) The witch doctor.
(c) The ghost of Jeff.
(d) Emperor Jones himself.
3. What is the throne in the palace made of?
(a) Uncut wood.
(b) Pearls and jewels.
(d) Precious metals and stones.
4. The allegorical appearance of figures can also be described as what literary device?
(a) Dream vision.
(b) Vision quest.
5. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
(a) He shoots at the figures.
(b) He leads the other prisoners in a revolt.
(c) He takes off his clothes.
(d) He picks up an imaginary shovel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' work in the third forest scene?
2. Where does Emperor Jones look for the food he buried?
3. What is the basis for Smithers' authority in the palace?
4. What does Emperor Jones feel when he sees Jeff in the second forest scene?
5. How does the second forest scene open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What irony does Smithers point out in the final scene?
2. How are the formless fears manifested on stage?
3. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the sixth forest scene.
4. Explain how Emperor Jones attained his authority over the natives.
5. Describe the structure at the center of the stage as the sixth forest scene opens.
6. What does the audience learn about Emperor Jones from the apparition he sees in Act 1, Scene 4?
7. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind in the second scene.
8. How does the tom-tom drumming change during the course of the fourth forest scene?
9. How well prepared is Emperor Jones for the experience of fleeing the palace?
10. What are two explanations for the identity of the chain gang?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)