|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Jones think he has been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(c) All night.
(d) Half a day.
2. How long has Jones been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) Half a day.
(b) All night.
(c) A full day.
(d) Not long.
3. How has the beat of the tom-tom changed when the second forest scene opens?
(a) It has been joined by other drums.
(b) It is quieter, but it plays an angry rhythm.
(c) It is closer than before, but it is subdued.
(d) It is louder and closer than before.
4. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' vision of Jeff?
5. What does Emperor Jones do after he shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) He celebrates his freedom.
(b) He heads back to the palace.
(c) He flees into the forest.
(d) He looks around for food.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Emperor Jones changed in the first four scenes?
2. What happens when Emperor Jones rings for the servants?
3. What color is Jones' uniform?
4. What appears to Emperor Jones in the first scene in the forest?
5. Which literary term describes the structure of the first three forest scenes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before he sees Jeff, Emperor Jones surveys himself and assesses his plight. How does he feel about his situation?
2. Describe the setting for Act 1, Scene 5, the fourth forest scene.
3. How well prepared is Emperor Jones for the experience of fleeing the palace?
4. Describe how Emperor Jones changes his clothing in the fourth forest scene.
5. What relationship binds Emperor Jones to the figures in the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
6. What is the significance of Emperor Jones' clothing in the fifth forest scene?
7. Explain how Emperor Jones attained his authority over the natives.
8. How long has Emperor Jones been walking when the second forest scene begins?
9. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind at the beginning of the third forest scene.
10. How does the sound of the tom-tom change over the course of the second forest scene?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)