|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the tom-tom drumming change at the end of the second forest scene?
(a) It gets faster and closer.
(b) It fades to quiet.
(c) It gets angrier.
(d) It gets further away.
2. How has Emperor Jones changed in the first four scenes?
(a) He is more and more imperial in his status.
(b) He has more power to deal with things.
(c) He has lost his confidence and his regal bearing.
(d) He is wiser and more thoughtful about his responsibilities.
3. Where is the play set?
(a) West Indies.
(b) Florida Keys.
(c) New Orleans.
4. How has Emperor Jones helped Smithers?
(a) By killing the man who was cheating Smithers.
(b) By installing him as Emperor.
(c) By hiring him.
(d) By freeing him from jail.
5. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What does he say to their leader?
(a) He swears he will kill him.
(b) He says that he is in charge here.
(c) He promises to avenge his imprisonment.
(d) He proclaims his innocence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when the leader of that group turns his back to Emperor Jones?
2. What does Emperor Jones do to make Jeff disappear?
3. What does the omnipresence of the tom-tom drumming tell us about Emperor Jones' state of mind?
4. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes?
5. How long does Jones think he has been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind at the beginning of the third forest scene.
2. How does the sound of the tom-tom change over the course of the second forest scene?
3. Describe Jeff's appearance in the second forest scene.
4. How does Jones break the spell of the apparition in the fifth forest scene?
5. What is the significance of Emperor Jones' clothing in the fifth forest scene?
6. What is Smithers' relationship to Emperor Jones?
7. Describe the setting where the final scene opens.
8. Describe the setting for Scene 6, the fifth forest scene.
9. Describe the irony in the natives' method for killing Emperor Jones.
10. How does the tom-tom drumming change during the course of the fourth forest scene?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)