|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the figures carrying who Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene?
(b) Bows and arrows.
(c) Picks and shovels.
(d) Guns and shields.
2. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
(b) Literal meaning.
3. When does Emperor Jones notice the tom-tom?
(a) When he fires his gun.
(b) When he cannot find his food.
(c) When he hears laughter in the forest.
(d) When he thinks he hears footsteps.
4. What makes Emperor Jones laugh at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) His anticipation of escape.
(b) His freedom.
(c) His own foolishness.
(d) His apperance.
5. How well has Emperor Jones prepared for his flight from the palace?
(a) He has hidden the supplies that will get him to safety.
(b) He knows where to find what he needs in the forest.
(c) He underestimated what he would need.
(d) He has more than enough supplies to get him to safety.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
2. How far away was Emperor Jones' would-be assassin when the gun misfired?
3. Who are the figures Emperor Jones sees working in this third forest scene?
4. How does Emperor Jones' flight recall his time in America?
5. What is Jeff wearing when Emperor Jones sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind at the beginning of the third forest scene.
2. Describe how Emperor Jones changes his clothing in the fourth forest scene.
3. Describe the structure at the center of the stage as the sixth forest scene opens.
4. How long has Emperor Jones been walking when the second forest scene begins?
5. What effect do the formless fears have on Emperor Jones?
6. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind in the second scene.
7. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the fourth forest scene.
8. What is Smithers' relationship to Emperor Jones?
9. What irony does Smithers point out in the final scene?
10. Where is the native woman going in the first scene?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)