|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
(a) Into the forest.
(b) Back to the palace.
(c) To the port.
(d) To the beach.
2. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
(a) He picks up an imaginary shovel.
(b) He takes off his clothes.
(c) He shoots at the figures.
(d) He leads the other prisoners in a revolt.
3. The allegorical appearance of figures can also be described as what literary device?
(b) Dream vision.
(d) Vision quest.
4. How has Emperor Jones helped Smithers?
(a) By killing the man who was cheating Smithers.
(b) By hiring him.
(c) By installing him as Emperor.
(d) By freeing him from jail.
5. What is the setting where the play begins?
(a) In a Pullman car.
(b) In an American slave auction.
(c) In the interior of a palace.
(d) In the forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones say he killed Jeff?
2. Which literary term defines Jeff's apparition?
3. What does Smithers tell Emperor Jones to look out for when Jones is leaving the palace?
4. Where is the play set?
5. What is the throne in the palace made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jones break the spell of the apparition in the fifth forest scene?
2. Contrast the vision Emperor Jones has in the fourth forest scene with the first vision he has.
3. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the sixth forest scene.
4. What are two explanations for the identity of the chain gang?
5. How is Emperor Jones different in the palace than he was when he was in America?
6. How does Emperor Jones feel when he talks to Jeff, but Jeff does not respond?
7. What is the significance of Emperor Jones' clothing in the fifth forest scene?
8. Describe the setting for the first scene of the play.
9. What progress, if any, has Emperor Jones made in the fifth forest scene?
10. What irony does Smithers point out in the final scene?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)