|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the throne?
(a) Ivory with an animal fur cushion.
(b) Dark green with a green cushion.
(c) Jet black with a woven mat cushion.
(d) Bright red with an orange cushion.
2. How do Emperor Jones and Smithers keep each other in their respective roles?
(a) They agree to share power.
(b) They kill each other's enemies.
(c) They know secrets about each other.
(d) They plot together against the medicine man.
3. Who tried but failed to kill Emperor Jones?
(a) The witch doctor.
4. What is Jeff doing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) Running through the forest.
(b) Threatening to shoot Jones.
(c) Shooting a prison guard.
(d) Shooting craps.
5. Who are the figures Emperor Jones sees working in this third forest scene?
(a) Lem and the witch doctor.
(c) Smithers and Lem.
(d) Slaves on a chain gang.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Emperor Jones notice the tom-tom?
2. What does Jeff say when Emperor Jones speaks to him?
3. Which character is the first to appear in the second scene in the forest?
4. What happens when Emperor Jones first fires his gun in the forest?
5. Why was Emperor Jones foolish to have fired his gun in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting for Scene 6, the fifth forest scene.
2. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the fourth forest scene.
3. Describe how Emperor Jones changes his clothing in the fourth forest scene.
4. Contrast Emperor Jones' status in the first scene with his status at the end of the sixth forest scene.
5. What is it that gives Emperor Jones the courage to act in the fourth forest scene?
6. How does Emperor Jones dispel the apparition in Act 1, Scene 7?
7. How does Emperor Jones' appearance change in the third forest scene?
8. What is the significance of Emperor Jones' clothing in the fifth forest scene?
9. In what way is Emperor Jones' situation ironic?
10. What relationship binds Emperor Jones to the figures in the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)