|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the third forest scene begin?
(a) At the palace.
(b) At a wide, flat road.
(c) At a well.
(d) At a burial ground.
2. What color is the throne?
(a) Jet black with a woven mat cushion.
(b) Dark green with a green cushion.
(c) Bright red with an orange cushion.
(d) Ivory with an animal fur cushion.
3. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
(a) To avoid conflict with the natives.
(b) To confront the natives.
(c) To distance himself from his own authority.
(d) To outflank the natives.
4. What is Jeff doing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) Shooting craps.
(b) Threatening to shoot Jones.
(c) Shooting a prison guard.
(d) Running through the forest.
5. How does Emperor Jones feel in the moments before he first sees the black figures in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Emperor Jones changed in the first four scenes?
2. How does Emperor Jones say he killed Jeff?
3. How has the beat of the tom-tom changed when the second forest scene opens?
4. How are the forest scenes different from the opening scene in the palace?
5. Which literary style describes the scenes in which Emperor Jones sees apparitions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Emperor Jones attained his authority over the natives.
2. Contrast Emperor Jones' status in the first scene with his status at the end of the sixth forest scene.
3. Describe the setting for Act 1, Scene 5, the fourth forest scene.
4. Describe the structure at the center of the stage as the sixth forest scene opens.
5. Where is the native woman going in the first scene?
6. What does Emperor Jones see in the fifth forest scene?
7. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind in the second scene.
8. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene.
9. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the fifth forest scene.
10. How long has Emperor Jones been walking when the second forest scene begins?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)