|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What provision has Emperor Jones made in case of uprising?
(a) He stockpiled weapons in the palace.
(b) He trained an elite security force.
(c) He buried food in the forest.
(d) He put Smithers in charge of security.
2. What happens to the tom-tom drumming when Emperor Jones shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) It gets closer.
(b) It gets quieter and less threatening.
(c) The drummer himself appears onstage.
(d) It changes rhythm again.
3. How does Emperor Jones return to the forest at the end of the second forest scene?
4. When does Emperor Jones notice the tom-tom?
(a) When he fires his gun.
(b) When he cannot find his food.
(c) When he thinks he hears footsteps.
(d) When he hears laughter in the forest.
5. What does Emperor Jones do to make Jeff disappear?
(a) Yells at it.
(b) Begs for forgiveness.
(c) Dances around it.
(d) Shoots at it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' speech to the figures he sees?
2. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
3. How do Emperor Jones and Smithers keep each other in their respective roles?
4. What atmosphere does the tom-tom drumming create?
5. What is the throne in the palace made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the routine of the palace out of the ordinary as the play begins?
2. How are the formless fears manifested on stage?
3. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind in the second scene.
4. Some of Emperor Jones' apparitions are racial memories. What does this conclusion say about the state or the future of the black race?
5. How does the tom-tom drumming change during the course of the fourth forest scene?
6. What does Emperor Jones do when he sees Jeff?
7. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the sixth forest scene.
8. How does Emperor Jones feel when he talks to Jeff, but Jeff does not respond?
9. What does the audience learn about Emperor Jones from the apparition he sees in Act 1, Scene 4?
10. Describe the setting for Act 1, Scene 5, the fourth forest scene.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)