Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Emperor Jones rings for the servants?
(a) They begin to drum in the forest.
(b) They all come running.
(c) No one comes.
(d) They come and shoot him.
2. Where did Emperor Jones learn the ways of the white man?
(a) A Pullman car.
(b) A real estate business.
(c) A tracking and hunting outfit.
(d) A welder on steam engines.
3. What happens to lift Emperor Jones' spirits at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) One of the natives leads Jones through the forest.
(b) Smithers shows up with a torch.
(c) The moonlight makes it easier to see.
(d) He finds the food he had hidden.
4. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
5. How are the forest scenes different from the opening scene in the palace?
(a) They are less realistic.
(b) They lack the first scene's dark humor.
(c) They are more hyperbole.
(d) They are more satirical.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones feel when he sees Jeff in the second forest scene?
2. How has Emperor Jones helped Smithers?
3. What is the throne in the palace made of?
4. What does Smithers tell Emperor Jones to look out for when Jones is leaving the palace?
5. What does Emperor Jones do after he shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind in the second scene.
2. Describe how Emperor Jones changes his clothing in the fourth forest scene.
3. How are the formless fears manifested on stage?
4. In what way is Emperor Jones' situation ironic?
5. Describe the setting for the first scene of the play.
6. How does Emperor Jones feel when he talks to Jeff, but Jeff does not respond?
7. What is Smithers' relationship to Emperor Jones?
8. What gives Emperor Jones his confidence when he learns that the natives are rising against him?
9. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the second forest scene.
10. Describe the irony in the natives' method for killing Emperor Jones.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)