|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones' flight recall to him?
(a) Running away from his parents' house.
(b) His flight in America.
(c) An earlier native uprising.
(d) His time as a long-distance runner.
2. How does the tom-tom drumming change at the end of the second forest scene?
(a) It gets further away.
(b) It gets angrier.
(c) It fades to quiet.
(d) It gets faster and closer.
3. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
(a) To outflank the natives.
(b) To avoid conflict with the natives.
(c) To confront the natives.
(d) To distance himself from his own authority.
4. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
(a) He steels himself against his fears.
(b) He is confident and laughing about his luck.
(c) He has collected his thoughts and he has a plan.
(d) He is terrified and runs blindly into the forest.
5. What is Jeff wearing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) Jones' old clothes.
(b) A loincloth and cartridge belt.
(c) A loincloth.
(d) A Pullman porter's suit.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones feel in the moments before he first sees the black figures in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Of the people Emperor Jones sees in his vision in Act 1, Scene 4, one is in charge. What does he carry?
3. Where does Emperor Jones look for the food he buried?
4. What does Smithers talk to the old woman about in the first scene?
5. When does Emperor Jones notice the tom-tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the beginning of the second forest scene to ease Emperor Jones' fears?
2. Describe the setting where Act 1, Scene 4 begins.
3. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind at the beginning of the third forest scene.
4. Describe the setting for the first scene of the play.
5. Describe the setting where the final scene opens.
6. What does the figure in the sixth forest scene's apparition communicate to Emperor Jones?
7. Where is the native woman going in the first scene?
8. What is the cue for the formless fears to appear?
9. How are the formless fears manifested on stage?
10. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the second forest scene.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)