|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones feel when he sees Jeff in the second forest scene?
2. How has Emperor Jones' appearance changed since the scene with the black figures?
(a) He is more composed and neater.
(b) He is practically naked.
(c) He is all wet.
(d) He is dirtier and less majestic.
3. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
4. What does Jeff say when Emperor Jones speaks to him?
(a) He predicts Jones' death.
(b) He vows revenge.
(c) He accuses Jones of killing him.
(d) He does not respond.
5. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
(a) Into the forest.
(b) Back to the palace.
(c) To the port.
(d) To the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones feel in the moments before he first sees the black figures in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' speech to the figures he sees?
3. What do the natives mistakenly think about Emperor Jones?
4. Which character is the first to appear in the second scene in the forest?
5. How does Jeff's appearance affect Jones' flight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship binds Emperor Jones to the figures in the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
2. Describe the setting for Scene 6, the fifth forest scene.
3. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind when the fourth forest scene opens.
4. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the first scene.
5. How does Emperor Jones' appearance change in the third forest scene?
6. How is Emperor Jones different in the palace than he was when he was in America?
7. In what way is Emperor Jones' situation ironic?
8. What irony does Smithers point out in the final scene?
9. List two interpretations of Jones' vision in the fourth forest scene.
10. How does Emperor Jones feel when he talks to Jeff, but Jeff does not respond?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)