|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is Jones' uniform?
(a) White with gold chevrons.
(b) Black with gold stripes.
(c) Blue with gold chevrons.
(d) Light blue with a red stripe.
2. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
(a) To outflank the natives.
(b) To avoid conflict with the natives.
(c) To distance himself from his own authority.
(d) To confront the natives.
3. What is the setting where the play begins?
(a) In the interior of a palace.
(b) In the forest.
(c) In an American slave auction.
(d) In a Pullman car.
4. Which answer describes Jeff's movements?
5. Emperor Jones tell the natives that only one person can kill him--who is that?
(a) The witch doctor.
(b) Emperor Jones himself.
(c) The ghost of Jeff.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones' flight recall his time in America?
2. What does Emperor Jones tell himself at the beginning of the third forest scene?
3. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
4. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
5. Where does the third forest scene begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the sixth forest scene.
2. Contrast the vision Emperor Jones has in the fourth forest scene with the first vision he has.
3. How have the natives prepared to kill Emperor Jones?
4. What gives Emperor Jones his confidence when he learns that the natives are rising against him?
5. What does the audience learn about Emperor Jones from the apparition he sees in Act 1, Scene 4?
6. How does Emperor Jones' experience in the second scene echo his experience in America?
7. Which characters talk about Jones in the final scene? What do they say?
8. What irony does Smithers point out in the final scene?
9. Before he sees Jeff, Emperor Jones surveys himself and assesses his plight. How does he feel about his situation?
10. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the fourth forest scene.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)