|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting where the play begins?
(a) In the interior of a palace.
(b) In a Pullman car.
(c) In an American slave auction.
(d) In the forest.
2. Who is the first character to appear on stage?
(a) Emperor Jones.
(d) An old woman.
3. Which character is the first to appear in the second scene in the forest?
(b) The witch doctor.
(d) Emperor Jones.
4. Which statement describes the eyes of the figures whom Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene?
(a) They glow.
(b) They are deformed.
(c) They are blind.
(d) They are angry.
5. What does Emperor Jones do to make Jeff disappear?
(a) Shoots at it.
(b) Begs for forgiveness.
(c) Yells at it.
(d) Dances around it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has the beat of the tom-tom changed when the second forest scene opens?
2. The allegorical appearance of figures can also be described as what literary device?
3. What is the basis for Smithers' authority in the palace?
4. What does Jeff say when Emperor Jones speaks to him?
5. What happens when Emperor Jones first fires his gun in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones feel when he talks to Jeff, but Jeff does not respond?
2. What are two explanations for the identity of the chain gang?
3. What gives Emperor Jones his confidence when he learns that the natives are rising against him?
4. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the fourth forest scene.
5. How does Emperor Jones' appearance change in the third forest scene?
6. Describe the setting where the final scene opens.
7. List two interpretations of Jones' vision in the fourth forest scene.
8. How well prepared is Emperor Jones for the experience of fleeing the palace?
9. Contrast the vision Emperor Jones has in the fourth forest scene with the first vision he has.
10. How long has Emperor Jones been walking when the second forest scene begins?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)