Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
(c) Literal meaning.
2. The allegorical appearance of figures can also be described as what literary device?
(b) Dream vision.
(d) Vision quest.
3. What happens when Emperor Jones rings for the servants?
(a) They come and shoot him.
(b) They begin to drum in the forest.
(c) No one comes.
(d) They all come running.
4. Which statement describes the eyes of the figures whom Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene?
(a) They are blind.
(b) They glow.
(c) They are deformed.
(d) They are angry.
5. What does the omnipresence of the tom-tom drumming tell us about Emperor Jones' state of mind?
(a) That he cannot escape from this situation.
(b) That he will no longer swindle the natives.
(c) That he is dreaming all of this.
(d) That he is a passive participant in his life now.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones feel in the moments before he first sees the black figures in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What is the throne in the palace made of?
3. What appears to Emperor Jones in the first scene in the forest?
4. How has Emperor Jones helped Smithers?
5. What does Emperor Jones tell himself at the beginning of the third forest scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting where Act 1, Scene 4 begins.
2. What happens at the beginning of the second forest scene to ease Emperor Jones' fears?
3. How is Emperor Jones different in the palace than he was when he was in America?
4. Contrast the vision Emperor Jones has in the fourth forest scene with the first vision he has.
5. What relationship binds Emperor Jones to the figures in the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
6. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind when the fourth forest scene opens.
7. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the second forest scene.
8. Some of Emperor Jones' apparitions are racial memories. What does this conclusion say about the state or the future of the black race?
9. How are the formless fears manifested on stage?
10. Describe Jeff's appearance in the second forest scene.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)