|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones feel when he sees Jeff in the second forest scene?
2. Which literary term describes the structure of the first three forest scenes?
3. Where have all the natives gone when the play is just beginning?
(a) To the USA.
(b) To the palace.
(c) To the hills.
(d) To the beach.
4. What do the natives mistakenly think about Emperor Jones?
(a) He is a runaway felon.
(b) He is a murderer.
(c) He has mysterious powers.
(d) He is a god.
5. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
(a) They tell him where to go.
(b) They predict his future.
(c) They do not say anything.
(d) They tell him to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What does he say to their leader?
2. What is the setting where the play begins?
3. How are the forest scenes different from the opening scene in the palace?
4. What is the throne in the palace made of?
5. What literary term describes Emperor Jones' language when he shoots at the apparition?
Short Essay Questions
1. List two interpretations of Jones' vision in the fourth forest scene.
2. How does Jones break the spell of the apparition in the fifth forest scene?
3. Describe how Emperor Jones changes his clothing in the fourth forest scene.
4. What progress, if any, has Emperor Jones made in the fifth forest scene?
5. What does Emperor Jones see in the fifth forest scene?
6. Describe the setting for the first scene of the play.
7. Which characters talk about Jones in the final scene? What do they say?
8. Describe the structure at the center of the stage as the sixth forest scene opens.
9. Why was Emperor Jones foolish to fire his gun at the formless fears?
10. How does the tom-tom drumming change during the course of the fourth forest scene?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)