|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jeff wearing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) Jones' old clothes.
(b) A loincloth.
(c) A Pullman porter's suit.
(d) A loincloth and cartridge belt.
2. What does Smithers talk to the old woman about in the first scene?
(a) Where she is going.
(b) Where the other whites have gone.
(c) Where Emperor Jones hid his food.
(d) When the natives are going to kill Emperor Jones.
3. What does Emperor Jones lose in the forest?
(a) His past.
(b) His memory.
(c) His bearings.
(d) His gun.
4. Of the people Emperor Jones sees in his vision in Act 1, Scene 4, one is in charge. What does he carry?
(a) A shovel.
(c) A whip.
(d) A pick.
5. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
(b) Literal meaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Jones been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
2. Who are the figures Emperor Jones sees working in this third forest scene?
3. What literary term describes Emperor Jones' language when he shoots at the apparition?
4. How well has Emperor Jones prepared for his flight from the palace?
5. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the irony in the natives' method for killing Emperor Jones.
2. How well prepared is Emperor Jones for the experience of fleeing the palace?
3. How does Emperor Jones feel when he talks to Jeff, but Jeff does not respond?
4. In what way is Emperor Jones' situation ironic?
5. What happens at the beginning of the second forest scene to ease Emperor Jones' fears?
6. Describe the setting where the final scene opens.
7. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the second forest scene.
8. What relationship binds Emperor Jones to the figures in the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
9. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the fifth forest scene.
10. Contrast the vision Emperor Jones has in the fourth forest scene with the first vision he has.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)