|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Emperor Jones see after he talks to himself when he enters in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) A marketplace full of slaves.
(b) The natives.
(c) A chain gang.
2. How has Emperor Jones' appearance changed since the scene with the black figures?
(a) He is practically naked.
(b) He is dirtier and less majestic.
(c) He is more composed and neater.
(d) He is all wet.
3. How does Emperor Jones say he killed Jeff?
(a) With his hands.
(b) With a razor.
(c) He threw him off a train.
(d) With a gun.
4. What literary term describes Emperor Jones' language when he shoots at the apparition?
5. What does this third apparition tell us about Jones' past?
(a) That he was once a prison guard.
(b) That he was wrongly imprisoned.
(c) That he remembers spending time on a chain gang.
(d) That he has had hallucinations in the past.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is the first to appear in the second scene in the forest?
2. How does the tom-tom drumming change at the end of the second forest scene?
3. Where does the third forest scene begin?
4. Which term describes how Emperor Jones speaks after he leaves the palace?
5. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cue for the formless fears to appear?
2. What does the figure in the sixth forest scene's apparition communicate to Emperor Jones?
3. Where is the native woman going in the first scene?
4. Describe how Emperor Jones changes his clothing in the fourth forest scene.
5. What gives Emperor Jones his confidence when he learns that the natives are rising against him?
6. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the second forest scene.
7. How does Emperor Jones feel when he talks to Jeff, but Jeff does not respond?
8. What happens between the prison guard and Emperor Jones?
9. Describe the setting for the first scene of the play.
10. What irony does Smithers point out in the final scene?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)