|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
(b) Literal meaning.
2. The black figures that Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene are amused by what?
(a) Emperor Jones' clothing.
(b) Emperor Jones' panic.
(c) Emperor Jones' gun.
(d) Emperor Jones' language.
3. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
(a) A tom-tom drum.
(c) Whispering natives.
(d) Laughing ghosts.
4. How does Emperor Jones say he killed Jeff?
(a) With a gun.
(b) He threw him off a train.
(c) With a razor.
(d) With his hands.
5. What makes Emperor Jones laugh at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) His apperance.
(b) His freedom.
(c) His own foolishness.
(d) His anticipation of escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary style describes the scenes in which Emperor Jones sees apparitions?
2. Where does Emperor Jones look for the food he buried?
3. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
4. How long does Jones think he has been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
5. How far away was Emperor Jones' would-be assassin when the gun misfired?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship binds Emperor Jones to the figures in the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
2. Explain how Emperor Jones attained his authority over the natives.
3. What gives Emperor Jones his confidence when he learns that the natives are rising against him?
4. What does Emperor Jones see in the fifth forest scene?
5. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the fourth forest scene.
6. How does Emperor Jones' experience in the second scene echo his experience in America?
7. What is the significance of Emperor Jones' clothing in the fifth forest scene?
8. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the first scene.
9. Describe Jeff's appearance in the second forest scene.
10. In what way is the routine of the palace out of the ordinary as the play begins?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)