|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Smithers talk to the old woman about in the first scene?
(a) Where the other whites have gone.
(b) Where Emperor Jones hid his food.
(c) Where she is going.
(d) When the natives are going to kill Emperor Jones.
2. What happens when Emperor Jones first fires his gun in the forest?
(a) He kills a crocodile.
(b) The tom-tom gets louder and closer.
(c) The tom-tom stops.
(d) He kills one of the native leaders.
3. How does Emperor Jones feel in the moments before he first sees the black figures in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
(a) He picks up an imaginary shovel.
(b) He takes off his clothes.
(c) He shoots at the figures.
(d) He leads the other prisoners in a revolt.
5. What appears to Emperor Jones in the first scene in the forest?
(a) Black formless fears.
(b) His memory of a slave auction.
(c) The witch doctor.
(d) Native soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which term describes how Emperor Jones speaks after he leaves the palace?
2. What happens to Emperor Jones when he sees the apparition in the third forest scene?
3. Who gestures to Emperor Jones to join the figures in the apparition?
4. What does Emperor Jones' flight recall to him?
5. How does Smithers say that Emperor Jones came into his position?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind at the beginning of the third forest scene.
2. Where is the native woman going in the first scene?
3. Why was Emperor Jones foolish to fire his gun at the formless fears?
4. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the first scene.
5. What does the audience learn about Emperor Jones from the apparition he sees in Act 1, Scene 4?
6. What does Emperor Jones do when he sees Jeff?
7. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind when the fourth forest scene opens.
8. Describe the setting where Act 1, Scene 4 begins.
9. What relationship binds Emperor Jones to the figures in the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
10. How are the formless fears manifested on stage?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)