|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emperor Jones sees figures in the forest. What do they seem to know?
(a) Where the natives are gathering.
(b) When Jones will die.
(c) What the tom-tom means.
(d) Where Jones' food is.
2. What does Emperor Jones feel when he sees Jeff in the second forest scene?
3. What provision has Emperor Jones made in case of uprising?
(a) He buried food in the forest.
(b) He trained an elite security force.
(c) He stockpiled weapons in the palace.
(d) He put Smithers in charge of security.
4. How far away was Emperor Jones' would-be assassin when the gun misfired?
(a) 20 feet.
(b) 5 feet.
(c) Point blank.
(d) 10 feet.
5. What is the basis for Smithers' authority in the palace?
(a) He is a white man.
(b) He is the emperor.
(c) He is the emperor's right hand man.
(d) He is a medicine man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones return to the forest at the end of the second forest scene?
2. What is Jeff doing when Emperor Jones sees him?
3. Who does Emperor Jones see after he talks to himself when he enters in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. Which literary term describes the structure of the first three forest scenes?
5. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' speech to the figures he sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones do when he understands what the figure in the sixth forest scene's apparition wants from him?
2. In what way is Emperor Jones' situation ironic?
3. Describe the apparition Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene.
4. Contrast Emperor Jones' status in the first scene with his status at the end of the sixth forest scene.
5. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind at the beginning of the third forest scene.
6. What does Emperor Jones do when he sees Jeff?
7. What is it that gives Emperor Jones the courage to act in the fourth forest scene?
8. How are the formless fears manifested on stage?
9. What effect do the formless fears have on Emperor Jones?
10. How is Emperor Jones different in the palace than he was when he was in America?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)