|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How well has Emperor Jones prepared for his flight from the palace?
(a) He has hidden the supplies that will get him to safety.
(b) He underestimated what he would need.
(c) He has more than enough supplies to get him to safety.
(d) He knows where to find what he needs in the forest.
2. What does Smithers tell Emperor Jones to look out for when Jones is leaving the palace?
(a) The witch doctor.
(c) Armed natives.
3. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
4. How much light is there in the scene where Emperor Jones sees the formless black figures?
(a) The scene is lit fully by the daytime sun.
(b) A full moon lights the stage.
(c) The faint light of dawn lights the stage.
(d) Very little--the moon has not yet risen.
5. How long does Jones think he has been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(c) Half a day.
(d) All night.
Short Answer Questions
1. The allegorical appearance of figures can also be described as what literary device?
2. What provision has Emperor Jones made in case of uprising?
3. Where have all the natives gone when the play is just beginning?
4. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes?
5. How has Emperor Jones helped Smithers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the formless fears manifested on stage?
2. Contrast Emperor Jones' status in the first scene with his status at the end of the sixth forest scene.
3. What does the audience learn about Emperor Jones from the apparition he sees in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. How have the natives prepared to kill Emperor Jones?
5. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the fifth forest scene.
6. How well prepared is Emperor Jones for the experience of fleeing the palace?
7. What is Smithers' relationship to Emperor Jones?
8. What does Emperor Jones do when he sees Jeff?
9. In what way is Emperor Jones' situation ironic?
10. What relationship binds Emperor Jones to the figures in the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)