|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has the beat of the tom-tom changed when the second forest scene opens?
(a) It is louder and closer than before.
(b) It is closer than before, but it is subdued.
(c) It is quieter, but it plays an angry rhythm.
(d) It has been joined by other drums.
2. What does Emperor Jones do after he shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) He celebrates his freedom.
(b) He flees into the forest.
(c) He looks around for food.
(d) He heads back to the palace.
3. When does Emperor Jones notice the tom-tom?
(a) When he thinks he hears footsteps.
(b) When he cannot find his food.
(c) When he fires his gun.
(d) When he hears laughter in the forest.
4. How far away was Emperor Jones' would-be assassin when the gun misfired?
(a) Point blank.
(b) 20 feet.
(c) 5 feet.
(d) 10 feet.
5. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' speech to the figures he sees?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary term describes the structure of the first three forest scenes?
2. What is the tone of the scene at the edge of the forest?
3. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
4. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
5. What is the first thing Emperor Jones asks Smithers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emperor Jones' state of mind at the beginning of the third forest scene.
2. How does Emperor Jones' appearance change in the third forest scene?
3. Before he sees Jeff, Emperor Jones surveys himself and assesses his plight. How does he feel about his situation?
4. What effect does Emperor Jones create by stripping off his clothes?
5. What does Emperor Jones see in the fifth forest scene?
6. Describe Emperor Jones' appearance in the fifth forest scene.
7. Describe how Emperor Jones changes his clothing in the fourth forest scene.
8. What gives Emperor Jones his confidence when he learns that the natives are rising against him?
9. What is the cue for the formless fears to appear?
10. What does Emperor Jones do when he understands what the figure in the sixth forest scene's apparition wants from him?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)