|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state is Emperor Jones in when the natives bring him back in the final scene?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is repentant.
(c) He is terrified.
(d) He is delirious.
2. What does the sixth forest scene tell us about Emperor Jones' wanderings?
(a) He has traveled to the place where the natives will find him.
(b) He has finally made it to a place of safety.
(c) He has eluded his pursuers, and knows where to run to.
(d) He is far away from the palace and totally disoriented.
3. What structure predominates over the sixth forest scene?
(a) A rough stone altar.
(b) A prison.
(c) The palace.
(d) A slave ship.
4. What does Emperor Jones do once he sees his part in the vision in the fourth forest scene?
(a) He shoots at the prosecutor and judge.
(b) He shoots the buyer and seller bidding on him.
(c) He throws the last of his clothing away.
(d) He shoots at the slave owners.
5. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in his final vision?
(b) The witch doctor.
(c) The Lord.
6. Is the apparition in the fourth forest scene from Emperor Jones' past?
(a) Yes, it recalls the time he spent on a chain gang.
(b) No, it is an ancestral vision.
(c) No, it is Lem's vision of a blood sacrifice.
(d) Yes, it recalls the time when he was sold at auction.
7. Where does the fourth forest scene begin?
(a) In front of the palace.
(b) A crossroads in the plain.
(c) In a cave.
(d) A clearing in the forest.
8. Which answer represents the setting when the last scene opens?
(a) Middle of the night.
9. Which religion predominates in Emperor Jones' final vision?
(a) Born again Christianity.
10. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes in the fourth forest scene?
(a) His shirt.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His jacket.
(d) His gun.
11. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fifth forest scene?
(a) Toward the light.
(b) Further into the forest.
(c) Back toward the palace.
(d) He stays put.
12. What does the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fourth forest scene tell us about the development of the play?
(a) It is progressing according to the natives' prophecies.
(b) It is no longer personal to Jones' guilt.
(c) It is manifesting Emperor Jones' deepest memories.
(d) It will end in Emperor Jones' death.
13. What does Lem tell Smithers when Smithers does not believe what he tells him in the final scene?
(a) He pledges to rid the island of whites and emperors.
(b) He insists they have almost caught Emperor Jones.
(c) He recounts Emperor Jones' sins and describes Jones' death.
(d) He tells Smithers that the witch doctor put a spell on Emperor Jones.
14. What does Emperor Jones feel when he realizes his part in the vision he sees in the fourth forest scene?
15. Where is the tom-tom coming from in the last scene?
(a) Off at a distance.
(b) Very close by.
(c) Back at the palace.
(d) Right on stage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Someone enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones. What does that person do?
2. Where does the fifth forest scene open?
3. How does Emperor Jones feel at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
4. What do we learn from the interaction between what Emperor Jones says and what the figures say in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
5. What does Emperor Jones do when he enters the sixth forest scene?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)