|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in the fourth forest scene?
2. Where does Lem say he got his silver bullet?
(a) The natives bought it from traders.
(b) The natives recovered it from the forest.
(c) The natives stole it from Emperor Jones.
(d) The natives melted down money.
3. What is the irony at the end of Emperor Jones?
(a) Jones manipulated the natives by saying that he could only be killed by a silver bullet, but they killed him with a silver bullet after all.
(b) Jones swore that he could only be killed by a silver bullet, but he died of self-inflicted injuries and exhaustion.
(c) Jones had always claimed to be immortal, but the natives threatened his life and he showed them that he was afraid of death.
(d) Jones had run away from imprisonment in America, and then he died of his freedom in the West Indies.
4. Where is the tom-tom coming from in the last scene?
(a) Back at the palace.
(b) Very close by.
(c) Off at a distance.
(d) Right on stage.
5. How does Emperor Jones feel when he enters the sixth forest scene?
(a) He is disoriented and delirious, laughing hysterically.
(b) He recognizes the site and he is terrified.
(c) He thinks he is back in America standing trial.
(d) He is confused and does not know where he is.
6. Where does the fifth forest scene open?
(a) At a crossroads in the forest.
(b) In an overgrown part of the forest.
(c) In the palace.
(d) In a clearing in the forest.
7. How does the beat of the tom-tom change at the end of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) It is closer and quicker than before.
(b) It is getting quieter and quieter.
(c) It is practically on stage.
(d) It is almost frenzied.
8. Which answer represents the setting when the last scene opens?
(a) Middle of the night.
9. Which literary term best approximates the sound Emperor Jones makes in the fifth forest scene?
10. What does Emperor Jones see in the fifth forest scene?
(a) Shackled slaves on a slave ship.
(b) Chained prisoners on a chain gang.
(c) Chained slaves at a slave auction.
(d) Shackled prisoners.
11. Someone enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones. What does that person do?
(a) Prays with Jones.
(b) Dances right in front of Emperor Jones.
(c) Kills Jones.
(d) Offers to help Jones.
12. How are the figures arranged in Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
(a) Dancing in a circle.
(b) Arranged in symmetrical rows.
(c) Gathered around the altar.
(d) Bounding back and forth across the stage.
13. What part does Emperor Jones play in the vision he sees in the fourth forest scene?
(a) He is on trial.
(b) He is leading a slave revolt.
(c) He is a slave being auctioned.
(d) He is being punished.
14. What do we learn from the interaction between what Emperor Jones says and what the figures say in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
(a) That he is in the same position as the slaves.
(b) That he is sorry for his sins.
(c) That he will continue to run until he dies.
(d) That he is still in charge of the natives.
15. Emperor Jones sees a scene in Act 1 Scene 5. Where does one of the figures in his vision gesture for him to stand?
(a) On a guillotine.
(b) On an auction stage.
(c) On a stump.
(d) On a throne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes in the fourth forest scene?
2. Whom does Emperor Jones resemble in his dress in the fifth forest scene?
3. Which term describes the development of the plot of Emperor Jones?
4. Which musical term describes the change in the sound of the tom-tom at the end of the fourth forest scene?
5. What is the significance of the silver bullet?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)