|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which literary term describes the apparition in the fourth forest scene?
(a) Ancestral memory.
2. What has changed about Emperor Jones' appearance as the fifth forest scene begins?
(a) He looks like a native god.
(b) He is beginning to resemble a native cheiftan.
(c) His pants are so tattered that he seems to be wearing only a loincloth.
(d) He is practically naked because his clothes are so tattered.
3. What is the setting of the sixth forest scene?
(a) A beach.
(b) A crossroads.
(c) A clearing in the forest.
(d) A tangled forest.
4. How are the figures arranged in Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
(a) Dancing in a circle.
(b) Bounding back and forth across the stage.
(c) Arranged in symmetrical rows.
(d) Gathered around the altar.
5. Someone enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones. What does that person do?
(a) Offers to help Jones.
(b) Kills Jones.
(c) Dances right in front of Emperor Jones.
(d) Prays with Jones.
6. What does Emperor Jones say at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
(a) He vows to kill Smithers.
(b) He tells himself that he will be free.
(c) He pleads for mercy because of his suffering.
(d) He is only moaning.
7. What wrongdoing does Emperor Jones admit to in the fourth forest scene?
(a) Running out on his wife and kids.
(b) Cheating at cards and craps.
(c) Killing Jeff and the prison guard.
(d) Lying to the natives about his powers.
8. How does the beat of the tom-tom change at the end of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) It is getting quieter and quieter.
(b) It is practically on stage.
(c) It is closer and quicker than before.
(d) It is almost frenzied.
9. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fourth forest scene?
(a) Into a cave.
(b) Back to the palace.
(c) Back into the forest.
(d) To the port.
10. Which literary term describes a plot in which two characters effectively change places?
11. What does Emperor Jones feel when he realizes his part in the vision he sees in the fourth forest scene?
12. The fact that Emperor Jones is killed by a silver bullet made from money is a form of what?
13. Whom does Emperor Jones resemble in his dress in the fifth forest scene?
(c) A native African.
(d) The prison guard.
14. Is Emperor Jones moving any closer to freedom in the fifth forest scene?
(b) He is trading freedom for responsibility.
(d) He is losing freedom, but gaining wisdom.
15. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes in the fourth forest scene?
(a) His shirt.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His gun.
(d) His jacket.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones feel at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
2. What kind of help does Emperor Jones ask for in the fourth forest scene?
3. Is the apparition in the fourth forest scene from Emperor Jones' past?
4. What does Emperor Jones use to dispel his final vision?
5. What is the irony of the silver bullet?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)