|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Lem say he got his silver bullet?
(a) The natives melted down money.
(b) The natives stole it from Emperor Jones.
(c) The natives recovered it from the forest.
(d) The natives bought it from traders.
2. What does Emperor Jones see in the fifth forest scene?
(a) Shackled slaves on a slave ship.
(b) Chained slaves at a slave auction.
(c) Chained prisoners on a chain gang.
(d) Shackled prisoners.
3. Which literary term describes a plot in which two characters effectively change places?
4. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in his final vision?
(a) The Lord.
(c) The witch doctor.
5. How does Emperor Jones feel when he enters the sixth forest scene?
(a) He thinks he is back in America standing trial.
(b) He is confused and does not know where he is.
(c) He is disoriented and delirious, laughing hysterically.
(d) He recognizes the site and he is terrified.
6. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes in the fourth forest scene?
(a) His shoes.
(b) His shirt.
(c) His gun.
(d) His jacket.
7. Which term describes the tone of the fourth forest scene?
(d) Satyr play.
8. What is the irony at the end of Emperor Jones?
(a) Jones had run away from imprisonment in America, and then he died of his freedom in the West Indies.
(b) Jones had always claimed to be immortal, but the natives threatened his life and he showed them that he was afraid of death.
(c) Jones swore that he could only be killed by a silver bullet, but he died of self-inflicted injuries and exhaustion.
(d) Jones manipulated the natives by saying that he could only be killed by a silver bullet, but they killed him with a silver bullet after all.
9. What does Smithers have difficulty believing in the final scene?
(a) That Lem and his soldiers have been tracking Emperor Jones all night.
(b) That Jones ever positioned himself to rule over the natives.
(c) That Jones evaded Lem and his soldiers all night.
(d) That he himself had not been emperor in Jones' place.
10. Which literary term describes the interaction between Emperor Jones' voice and the voices of the figures in his vision in the fifth forest scene?
11. How does Emperor Jones feel about the thing he throws into the bushes in the fourth forest scene?
(a) He is reluctant to lose his shoes, which were once patent leather.
(b) He is glad to be rid of his jacket, which is no longer useful.
(c) He is sad to give up his gun because he has no more bullets.
(d) He is relieved to throw away his shirt because it is wet.
12. What do we learn from the interaction between what Emperor Jones says and what the figures say in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
(a) That he will continue to run until he dies.
(b) That he is sorry for his sins.
(c) That he is in the same position as the slaves.
(d) That he is still in charge of the natives.
13. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fifth forest scene?
(a) Further into the forest.
(b) Toward the light.
(c) Back toward the palace.
(d) He stays put.
14. What does Emperor Jones use to dispel his final vision?
(a) His jacket.
(b) His silver bullet.
(c) His shoes.
(d) A shovel.
15. Which rhetorical term describes Emperor Jones' request for assistance?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Emperor Jones afraid of at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
2. What structure predominates over the sixth forest scene?
3. What is the significance of the silver bullet?
4. What is the setting of the sixth forest scene?
5. How does Emperor Jones feel at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)