|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can we gather from the fact that Emperor Jones does not shoot anyone in the apparition in the fifth forest scene?
(a) He is saving his last silver bullet for himself.
(b) He is so weak that he cannot shoot anyone.
(c) He is strong enough that he can escape without a gun.
(d) The figures' despair is ongoing.
2. Someone enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones. What does that figure represent to Emperor Jones?
(a) The spirit of justice.
(b) The spirit of the earth.
(c) Divine forgiveness.
(d) The forces of evil.
3. What does Emperor Jones do when he comes on stage in the fourth forest scene?
(a) Shoot the rebellious natives.
(b) Stalk around the stage, making threats.
(c) Sit on a stump and put his head in his hands.
(d) Talk about killing himself.
4. How does the tone of the fifth forest scene change?
(a) From despair to abject horror.
(b) From exhaustion to exhilaration.
(c) From despair to redemptive ancestor-pride.
(d) From dread to misery.
5. How do the figures move in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
(a) Calmly, as if they were reassuring him.
(b) Rhythmically, as if they were rowing.
(c) Violently, as if they were being tortured.
(d) In a frenzy, as if they were dancing.
6. Someone enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones. What does that person do?
(a) Dances right in front of Emperor Jones.
(b) Prays with Jones.
(c) Kills Jones.
(d) Offers to help Jones.
7. Who does Emperor Jones stand in for in the fourth forest scene?
(a) All black men.
(b) All slaves.
(c) All slave buyers.
(d) All black American men.
8. How does Emperor Jones dispel his final vision?
(a) He shoots the crocodile.
(b) He strangles the person who would harm him.
(c) He prays for forgiveness.
(d) He blinks his eyes and shakes his head and the vision disappears.
9. What is the state of Emperor Jones' clothing as the fourth forest scene begins?
(a) Proud and imperial.
(b) Dirty and tattered.
(c) Primitive and proud.
(d) Natty and neat.
10. The fact that Emperor Jones is killed by a silver bullet made from money is a form of what?
11. What is the irony at the end of Emperor Jones?
(a) Jones swore that he could only be killed by a silver bullet, but he died of self-inflicted injuries and exhaustion.
(b) Jones had always claimed to be immortal, but the natives threatened his life and he showed them that he was afraid of death.
(c) Jones manipulated the natives by saying that he could only be killed by a silver bullet, but they killed him with a silver bullet after all.
(d) Jones had run away from imprisonment in America, and then he died of his freedom in the West Indies.
12. What is the significance of the silver bullet?
(a) Superstition required a silver bullet to kill the crocodile god Emperor Jones represented.
(b) Slaves had used silver bullets to kill slave owners in an earlier revolt.
(c) Emperor Jones had claimed that it was the only thing that could kill him.
(d) The natives believe that emperors could only be killed by silver bullets.
13. What role is Emperor Jones supposed to play in the other person in the sixth scene's plans?
(a) Jones is supposed to let kill himself.
(b) Jones is supposed to be the sacrificial offering.
(c) Jones is supposed to receive the figure's blessings.
(d) Jones is supposed to preside over the sacrificial offering.
14. What does Emperor Jones do when he enters the sixth forest scene?
(a) Shoots at the statues.
(b) Installs himself on the throne.
(c) Lies on the ground moaning in fear.
(d) Begs for forgiveness.
15. How is Emperor Jones killed?
(a) He shoots himself.
(b) With rifle shots.
(c) With machine guns.
(d) With pistol shots.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the figures positioned in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
2. What apparition does Emperor Jones see in this fourth forest scene?
3. Which literary term describes the interaction between Emperor Jones' voice and the voices of the figures in his vision in the fifth forest scene?
4. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fourth forest scene?
5. Which literary term best approximates the sound Emperor Jones makes in the fifth forest scene?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)