|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which musical term describes the change in the sound of the tom-tom at the end of the fourth forest scene?
2. Which term describes the development of the plot of Emperor Jones?
3. Someone enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones. What does that person do?
(a) Dances right in front of Emperor Jones.
(b) Kills Jones.
(c) Offers to help Jones.
(d) Prays with Jones.
4. Where is the tom-tom coming from in the last scene?
(a) Back at the palace.
(b) Right on stage.
(c) Very close by.
(d) Off at a distance.
5. How have the natives triumphed by the end of the play?
(a) They have killed a tyrant.
(b) They have overcome their superstitious beliefs.
(c) They have escaped from voodoo by killing the witch doctor.
(d) They have mastered the art of stone carving.
6. What does Emperor Jones do once he sees his part in the vision in the fourth forest scene?
(a) He throws the last of his clothing away.
(b) He shoots at the slave owners.
(c) He shoots the buyer and seller bidding on him.
(d) He shoots at the prosecutor and judge.
7. What is the tone of Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
(a) Jubilation and homecoming.
(b) Sadness and grieving.
(c) Anxiety and apprehension.
(d) Melancholy and despair.
8. Is the apparition in the fourth forest scene from Emperor Jones' past?
(a) No, it is Lem's vision of a blood sacrifice.
(b) Yes, it recalls the time when he was sold at auction.
(c) Yes, it recalls the time he spent on a chain gang.
(d) No, it is an ancestral vision.
9. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes in the fourth forest scene?
(a) His jacket.
(b) His shirt.
(c) His shoes.
(d) His gun.
10. Which literary term describes the apparition in the fourth forest scene?
(b) Ancestral memory.
11. Which term describes the figure of the crocodile in Emperor Jones' final vision?
12. Is Emperor Jones moving any closer to freedom in the fifth forest scene?
(c) He is losing freedom, but gaining wisdom.
(d) He is trading freedom for responsibility.
13. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in his final vision?
(b) The witch doctor.
(c) The Lord.
14. What does Emperor Jones do when he enters the sixth forest scene?
(a) Installs himself on the throne.
(b) Lies on the ground moaning in fear.
(c) Shoots at the statues.
(d) Begs for forgiveness.
15. How does Emperor Jones feel when he enters the sixth forest scene?
(a) He is disoriented and delirious, laughing hysterically.
(b) He is confused and does not know where he is.
(c) He thinks he is back in America standing trial.
(d) He recognizes the site and he is terrified.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the forest come to symbolize over the course of the five forest scenes so far?
2. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the sixth forest scene?
3. What does Lem tell Smithers when Smithers does not believe what he tells him in the final scene?
4. What is Emperor Jones afraid of at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
5. What is the significance of the silver bullet?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)