|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Smithers ask Emperor Jones after the natives bring him in during the final scene?
(a) Couldn't you find your food?
(b) Can I rule now in your place?
(c) Where are your airs now?
(d) What did you do with the money?
2. How have the tom-tom beats changed at the end of the sixth forest scene?
(a) They are essentially a constant wall of sound.
(b) They are louder and faster than ever.
(c) They are starting to get further away.
(d) They are muffled now.
3. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in his final vision?
(a) The Lord.
(c) The witch doctor.
4. How does Emperor Jones feel at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
5. What has changed about Emperor Jones' appearance as the fifth forest scene begins?
(a) He looks like a native god.
(b) He is beginning to resemble a native cheiftan.
(c) His pants are so tattered that he seems to be wearing only a loincloth.
(d) He is practically naked because his clothes are so tattered.
6. Which term describes the figure of the crocodile in Emperor Jones' final vision?
7. How is Emperor Jones killed?
(a) With pistol shots.
(b) With rifle shots.
(c) With machine guns.
(d) He shoots himself.
8. What is the state of Emperor Jones' clothing as the fourth forest scene begins?
(a) Natty and neat.
(b) Primitive and proud.
(c) Dirty and tattered.
(d) Proud and imperial.
9. Where does Lem say he got his silver bullet?
(a) The natives bought it from traders.
(b) The natives stole it from Emperor Jones.
(c) The natives recovered it from the forest.
(d) The natives melted down money.
10. What has the forest come to symbolize over the course of the five forest scenes so far?
(a) The chaos at the heart of the universe.
(b) The redemptive fecundity of nature.
(c) Emperor Jones' racial history.
(d) The darkness in the heart of men.
11. How does Emperor Jones feel about the thing he throws into the bushes in the fourth forest scene?
(a) He is reluctant to lose his shoes, which were once patent leather.
(b) He is glad to be rid of his jacket, which is no longer useful.
(c) He is relieved to throw away his shirt because it is wet.
(d) He is sad to give up his gun because he has no more bullets.
12. Someone enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones. What does that person do?
(a) Kills Jones.
(b) Dances right in front of Emperor Jones.
(c) Prays with Jones.
(d) Offers to help Jones.
13. Which literary term best approximates the sound Emperor Jones makes in the fifth forest scene?
14. Whom does Emperor Jones resemble in his dress in the fifth forest scene?
(a) The prison guard.
(b) A native African.
15. How does Emperor Jones dispel his final vision?
(a) He strangles the person who would harm him.
(b) He blinks his eyes and shakes his head and the vision disappears.
(c) He prays for forgiveness.
(d) He shoots the crocodile.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which answer represents the setting when the last scene opens?
2. What does Emperor Jones see in the fifth forest scene?
3. What is the significance of Emperor Jones dispelling his final vision?
4. What state is Emperor Jones in when the natives bring him back in the final scene?
5. How do the figures move in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)