|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Emperor Jones stand in for in the fourth forest scene?
(a) All slaves.
(b) All slave buyers.
(c) All black American men.
(d) All black men.
2. Where does the fifth forest scene open?
(a) In an overgrown part of the forest.
(b) In the palace.
(c) At a crossroads in the forest.
(d) In a clearing in the forest.
3. What can we gather from the fact that Emperor Jones does not shoot anyone in the apparition in the fifth forest scene?
(a) He is so weak that he cannot shoot anyone.
(b) The figures' despair is ongoing.
(c) He is saving his last silver bullet for himself.
(d) He is strong enough that he can escape without a gun.
4. Who is the first character to enter in the final scene?
(a) Lem and his soldiers.
(b) The witch doctor.
(d) Emperor Jones.
5. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fourth forest scene?
(a) Back into the forest.
(b) Into a cave.
(c) Back to the palace.
(d) To the port.
6. What kind of help does Emperor Jones ask for in the fourth forest scene?
(b) Alliance with powerful political allies.
(d) More bullets.
7. What is the significance of the silver bullet?
(a) Slaves had used silver bullets to kill slave owners in an earlier revolt.
(b) The natives believe that emperors could only be killed by silver bullets.
(c) Superstition required a silver bullet to kill the crocodile god Emperor Jones represented.
(d) Emperor Jones had claimed that it was the only thing that could kill him.
8. How does the beat of the tom-tom change at the end of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) It is getting quieter and quieter.
(b) It is closer and quicker than before.
(c) It is practically on stage.
(d) It is almost frenzied.
9. What does the sixth forest scene tell us about Emperor Jones' wanderings?
(a) He has eluded his pursuers, and knows where to run to.
(b) He has traveled to the place where the natives will find him.
(c) He is far away from the palace and totally disoriented.
(d) He has finally made it to a place of safety.
10. What is the state of Emperor Jones' clothing as the fourth forest scene begins?
(a) Proud and imperial.
(b) Primitive and proud.
(c) Dirty and tattered.
(d) Natty and neat.
11. How is the apparition in the fourth forest scene different from the previous apparitions?
(a) The apparition is not from Emperor Jones' personal experience.
(b) This apparation takes place underwater.
(c) The apparition is not dispelled with a gunshot.
(d) This apparition unfolds backwards in time.
12. How does Emperor Jones feel when he enters the sixth forest scene?
(a) He is confused and does not know where he is.
(b) He thinks he is back in America standing trial.
(c) He is disoriented and delirious, laughing hysterically.
(d) He recognizes the site and he is terrified.
13. How did the natives 'do right by' Emperor Jones?
(a) They showed the same cruelty to him that he had shown them.
(b) They reduced his imperial attitude to superstition and fear.
(c) They let him live after he pleaded for forgiveness.
(d) They kill him in style.
14. How does Emperor Jones feel about the thing he throws into the bushes in the fourth forest scene?
(a) He is sad to give up his gun because he has no more bullets.
(b) He is glad to be rid of his jacket, which is no longer useful.
(c) He is reluctant to lose his shoes, which were once patent leather.
(d) He is relieved to throw away his shirt because it is wet.
15. Where does Lem say he got his silver bullet?
(a) The natives stole it from Emperor Jones.
(b) The natives recovered it from the forest.
(c) The natives melted down money.
(d) The natives bought it from traders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary term describes the apparition in the fourth forest scene?
2. Which term describes the development of the plot of Emperor Jones?
3. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fifth forest scene?
4. What does the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fourth forest scene tell us about the development of the play?
5. What does Emperor Jones use to dispel his final vision?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)