|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which literary term best approximates the sound Emperor Jones makes in the fifth forest scene?
2. How does Emperor Jones feel at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
3. Where does the fifth forest scene open?
(a) At a crossroads in the forest.
(b) In the palace.
(c) In a clearing in the forest.
(d) In an overgrown part of the forest.
4. Emperor Jones sees a scene in Act 1 Scene 5. Where does one of the figures in his vision gesture for him to stand?
(a) On a stump.
(b) On a guillotine.
(c) On an auction stage.
(d) On a throne.
5. Who is the first character to enter in the final scene?
(b) Lem and his soldiers.
(c) Emperor Jones.
(d) The witch doctor.
6. What does Emperor Jones do when he enters the sixth forest scene?
(a) Installs himself on the throne.
(b) Shoots at the statues.
(c) Lies on the ground moaning in fear.
(d) Begs for forgiveness.
7. Where does Lem say he got his silver bullet?
(a) The natives melted down money.
(b) The natives bought it from traders.
(c) The natives recovered it from the forest.
(d) The natives stole it from Emperor Jones.
8. How have the tom-tom beats changed at the end of the sixth forest scene?
(a) They are starting to get further away.
(b) They are muffled now.
(c) They are essentially a constant wall of sound.
(d) They are louder and faster than ever.
9. What does the setting in the fifth forest scene represent?
(a) A prison cell.
(b) The barracks of a plantation.
(c) A graveyard.
(d) The hold of a slave ship.
10. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in the fourth forest scene?
11. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fifth forest scene?
(a) Toward the light.
(b) Back toward the palace.
(c) Further into the forest.
(d) He stays put.
12. Who does Emperor Jones stand in for in the fourth forest scene?
(a) All slaves.
(b) All slave buyers.
(c) All black men.
(d) All black American men.
13. Is the apparition in the fourth forest scene from Emperor Jones' past?
(a) Yes, it recalls the time when he was sold at auction.
(b) No, it is Lem's vision of a blood sacrifice.
(c) No, it is an ancestral vision.
(d) Yes, it recalls the time he spent on a chain gang.
14. The fact that Emperor Jones is killed by a silver bullet made from money is a form of what?
15. How does Emperor Jones free himself from the vision he sees in the fifth forest scene?
(a) He shoots the slave driver.
(b) He overpowers the others with his wailing.
(c) He shoots the auctioneer.
(d) He kills the prison guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sixth forest scene tell us about Emperor Jones' wanderings?
2. How does Emperor Jones dispel his final vision?
3. Is Emperor Jones moving any closer to freedom in the fifth forest scene?
4. What does Emperor Jones say at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
5. Which musical term describes the change in the sound of the tom-tom at the end of the fourth forest scene?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)