|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the fourth forest scene begin?
(a) A clearing in the forest.
(b) In a cave.
(c) A crossroads in the plain.
(d) In front of the palace.
2. Someone enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones. What does that figure represent to Emperor Jones?
(a) Divine forgiveness.
(b) The spirit of the earth.
(c) The forces of evil.
(d) The spirit of justice.
3. How does the beat of the tom-tom change at the end of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) It is getting quieter and quieter.
(b) It is almost frenzied.
(c) It is practically on stage.
(d) It is closer and quicker than before.
4. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in his final vision?
(a) The Lord.
(c) The witch doctor.
5. The fact that Emperor Jones is killed by a silver bullet made from money is a form of what?
6. What state is Emperor Jones in when the natives bring him back in the final scene?
(a) He is repentant.
(b) He is terrified.
(c) He is delirious.
(d) He is dead.
7. What does Emperor Jones see in the fifth forest scene?
(a) Shackled prisoners.
(b) Shackled slaves on a slave ship.
(c) Chained slaves at a slave auction.
(d) Chained prisoners on a chain gang.
8. Where does the fifth forest scene open?
(a) In a clearing in the forest.
(b) In an overgrown part of the forest.
(c) In the palace.
(d) At a crossroads in the forest.
9. How have the tom-tom beats changed at the end of the sixth forest scene?
(a) They are louder and faster than ever.
(b) They are essentially a constant wall of sound.
(c) They are muffled now.
(d) They are starting to get further away.
10. What can we gather from the fact that Emperor Jones does not shoot anyone in the apparition in the fifth forest scene?
(a) The figures' despair is ongoing.
(b) He is saving his last silver bullet for himself.
(c) He is so weak that he cannot shoot anyone.
(d) He is strong enough that he can escape without a gun.
11. What atmosphere does the drumming create during the fourth forest scene?
(a) Artful beauty.
(b) Blood-boiling desperation.
(c) Meditative calm.
(d) Disorder and confusion.
12. What structure predominates over the sixth forest scene?
(a) The palace.
(b) A slave ship.
(c) A rough stone altar.
(d) A prison.
13. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes in the fourth forest scene?
(a) His shoes.
(b) His shirt.
(c) His gun.
(d) His jacket.
14. How is the apparition in the fourth forest scene different from the previous apparitions?
(a) The apparition is not dispelled with a gunshot.
(b) This apparation takes place underwater.
(c) This apparition unfolds backwards in time.
(d) The apparition is not from Emperor Jones' personal experience.
15. Which literary term describes the apparition in the fourth forest scene?
(b) Ancestral memory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones use to dispel his final vision?
2. What does Smithers ask Emperor Jones after the natives bring him in during the final scene?
3. Which term describes the development of the plot of Emperor Jones?
4. What does Lem tell Smithers when Smithers does not believe what he tells him in the final scene?
5. What does Emperor Jones do when he comes on stage in the fourth forest scene?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)