|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fifth forest scene?
(a) Further into the forest.
(b) Back toward the palace.
(c) Toward the light.
(d) He stays put.
2. What is the tone of Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
(a) Anxiety and apprehension.
(b) Sadness and grieving.
(c) Melancholy and despair.
(d) Jubilation and homecoming.
3. What is the significance of Emperor Jones dispelling his final vision?
(a) He has finally overcome all of the things that could hurt him.
(b) He does not have anything left to protect himself with.
(c) He has been reduced to the level of the natives who are looking for him.
(d) He has chosen to die for his sins.
4. Where does the fourth forest scene begin?
(a) In front of the palace.
(b) A clearing in the forest.
(c) A crossroads in the plain.
(d) In a cave.
5. Who is the first character to enter in the final scene?
(b) The witch doctor.
(c) Lem and his soldiers.
(d) Emperor Jones.
6. Whose experience is Emperor Jones envisioning in the fifth forest scene?
(a) His ancestors'.
(d) His own.
7. What kind of drama is Emperor Jones?
(a) Sentimental drama.
(b) Slave narrative.
(c) Morality play.
8. What has changed about Emperor Jones' appearance as the fifth forest scene begins?
(a) He is practically naked because his clothes are so tattered.
(b) His pants are so tattered that he seems to be wearing only a loincloth.
(c) He is beginning to resemble a native cheiftan.
(d) He looks like a native god.
9. What does Smithers have difficulty believing in the final scene?
(a) That Jones ever positioned himself to rule over the natives.
(b) That Lem and his soldiers have been tracking Emperor Jones all night.
(c) That he himself had not been emperor in Jones' place.
(d) That Jones evaded Lem and his soldiers all night.
10. What does Emperor Jones use to dispel his final vision?
(a) His shoes.
(b) His jacket.
(c) His silver bullet.
(d) A shovel.
11. Where does Lem say he got his silver bullet?
(a) The natives stole it from Emperor Jones.
(b) The natives melted down money.
(c) The natives recovered it from the forest.
(d) The natives bought it from traders.
12. Which literary term describes the interaction between Emperor Jones' voice and the voices of the figures in his vision in the fifth forest scene?
13. What is Emperor Jones afraid of at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
(a) Formless fears.
(c) Imminent capture.
14. How does Emperor Jones dispel his final vision?
(a) He strangles the person who would harm him.
(b) He blinks his eyes and shakes his head and the vision disappears.
(c) He shoots the crocodile.
(d) He prays for forgiveness.
15. Which literary term best approximates the sound Emperor Jones makes in the fifth forest scene?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which musical term describes the change in the sound of the tom-tom at the end of the fourth forest scene?
2. What is the irony of the silver bullet?
3. What wrongdoing does Emperor Jones admit to in the fourth forest scene?
4. Who enters the sixth forest scene with Emperor Jones?
5. How does the tone of the fifth forest scene change?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)