|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jeff say when Emperor Jones speaks to him?
(a) He does not respond.
(b) He vows revenge.
(c) He accuses Jones of killing him.
(d) He predicts Jones' death.
2. Which literary term describes the structure of the first three forest scenes?
3. How does Emperor Jones feel in the moments before he first sees the black figures in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. The black figures that Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene are amused by what?
(a) Emperor Jones' language.
(b) Emperor Jones' gun.
(c) Emperor Jones' panic.
(d) Emperor Jones' clothing.
5. Where does the third forest scene begin?
(a) At the palace.
(b) At a burial ground.
(c) At a wide, flat road.
(d) At a well.
6. What does Jones do when he appears at the beginning of the third forest scene?
(a) He encounters the witch doctor.
(b) He sees Jeff's apparition.
(c) He stops to catch his breath.
(d) He runs about wildly.
7. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' work in the third forest scene?
8. What makes Emperor Jones laugh at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) His apperance.
(b) His own foolishness.
(c) His anticipation of escape.
(d) His freedom.
9. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
(a) To confront the natives.
(b) To distance himself from his own authority.
(c) To avoid conflict with the natives.
(d) To outflank the natives.
10. Which term describes how Emperor Jones speaks after he leaves the palace?
11. What is the throne in the palace made of?
(a) Pearls and jewels.
(c) Uncut wood.
(d) Precious metals and stones.
12. Of the people Emperor Jones sees in his vision in Act 1, Scene 4, one is in charge. What does he carry?
(a) A pick.
(c) A whip.
(d) A shovel.
13. Who does Emperor Jones see after he talks to himself when he enters in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) The natives.
(c) A chain gang.
(d) A marketplace full of slaves.
14. What literary term describes Emperor Jones' language when he shoots at the apparition?
15. What kind of gun does Emperor Jones carry?
(a) Hunting rifle.
(c) Submachine gun.
(d) Long-barreled revolver.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Smithers say that Emperor Jones came into his position?
2. What does Emperor Jones' flight recall to him?
3. What atmosphere does the tom-tom drumming create?
4. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
5. Who are the figures Emperor Jones sees working in this third forest scene?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)