|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones do to make Jeff disappear?
(a) Shoots at it.
(b) Yells at it.
(c) Begs for forgiveness.
(d) Dances around it.
2. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
(a) He picks up an imaginary shovel.
(b) He shoots at the figures.
(c) He takes off his clothes.
(d) He leads the other prisoners in a revolt.
3. Who gestures to Emperor Jones to join the figures in the apparition?
(a) The guard.
(c) The witch doctor.
(d) One of the prisoners.
4. What does Emperor Jones decide to do after he rings for the servants?
(a) Send the army into the hills for the natives.
(b) Fortify the palace.
(c) Head for the hills.
(d) Burn the palace down.
5. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
(a) To confront the natives.
(b) To distance himself from his own authority.
(c) To outflank the natives.
(d) To avoid conflict with the natives.
6. How does Emperor Jones say he killed Jeff?
(a) With a razor.
(b) With his hands.
(c) He threw him off a train.
(d) With a gun.
7. Who tried but failed to kill Emperor Jones?
(b) The witch doctor.
8. What is the basis for Smithers' authority in the palace?
(a) He is a white man.
(b) He is the emperor.
(c) He is a medicine man.
(d) He is the emperor's right hand man.
9. What does Smithers talk to the old woman about in the first scene?
(a) Where the other whites have gone.
(b) When the natives are going to kill Emperor Jones.
(c) Where Emperor Jones hid his food.
(d) Where she is going.
10. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
(a) They try to stand but fall over.
(b) They run on long legs.
(c) They seethe and boil like an ocean.
(d) They walk on long tentacles.
11. What does Emperor Jones do after he shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) He looks around for food.
(b) He celebrates his freedom.
(c) He flees into the forest.
(d) He heads back to the palace.
12. What is Jeff wearing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) Jones' old clothes.
(b) A Pullman porter's suit.
(c) A loincloth.
(d) A loincloth and cartridge belt.
13. What does this third apparition tell us about Jones' past?
(a) That he has had hallucinations in the past.
(b) That he was once a prison guard.
(c) That he remembers spending time on a chain gang.
(d) That he was wrongly imprisoned.
14. Which character is the first to appear in the second scene in the forest?
(c) The witch doctor.
(d) Emperor Jones.
15. Who are the figures Emperor Jones sees working in this third forest scene?
(a) Smithers and Lem.
(b) Lem and the witch doctor.
(d) Slaves on a chain gang.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Emperor Jones and Smithers keep each other in their respective roles?
2. What appears to Emperor Jones in the first scene in the forest?
3. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
4. Which literary term describes the structure of the first three forest scenes?
5. Why was Emperor Jones foolish to have fired his gun in the forest?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)