|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Emperor Jones when he sees the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) His hands shake.
(b) He stammers.
(c) His eyes bulge.
(d) He faints.
2. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
(a) A tom-tom drum.
(b) Whispering natives.
(c) Laughing ghosts.
3. Who tried but failed to kill Emperor Jones?
(b) The witch doctor.
4. Who does Emperor Jones see after he talks to himself when he enters in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) A marketplace full of slaves.
(b) A chain gang.
(d) The natives.
5. What is the throne in the palace made of?
(a) Uncut wood.
(b) Pearls and jewels.
(d) Precious metals and stones.
6. What does Emperor Jones lose in the forest?
(a) His past.
(b) His bearings.
(c) His gun.
(d) His memory.
7. What makes Emperor Jones laugh at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) His anticipation of escape.
(b) His own foolishness.
(c) His apperance.
(d) His freedom.
8. When does Emperor Jones notice the tom-tom?
(a) When he fires his gun.
(b) When he hears laughter in the forest.
(c) When he cannot find his food.
(d) When he thinks he hears footsteps.
9. Which character is the first to appear in the second scene in the forest?
(a) Emperor Jones.
(c) The witch doctor.
10. Which term describes how Emperor Jones speaks after he leaves the palace?
11. How does Emperor Jones feel when he is orienting himself in the forest?
12. How does Emperor Jones return to the forest at the end of the second forest scene?
13. What is the setting where the play begins?
(a) In a Pullman car.
(b) In an American slave auction.
(c) In the interior of a palace.
(d) In the forest.
14. How does Emperor Jones say he killed Jeff?
(a) With a razor.
(b) With his hands.
(c) With a gun.
(d) He threw him off a train.
15. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
(a) Into the forest.
(b) To the port.
(c) Back to the palace.
(d) To the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the figures carrying who Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene?
2. What does Emperor Jones tell himself at the beginning of the third forest scene?
3. Which literary style describes the scenes in which Emperor Jones sees apparitions?
4. What kind of gun does Emperor Jones carry?
5. What happens to the tom-tom drumming when Emperor Jones shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)