|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting where the play begins?
(a) In an American slave auction.
(b) In a Pullman car.
(c) In the forest.
(d) In the interior of a palace.
2. What happens to Emperor Jones when he sees the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) His hands shake.
(b) His eyes bulge.
(c) He faints.
(d) He stammers.
3. What does Smithers talk to the old woman about in the first scene?
(a) Where she is going.
(b) Where the other whites have gone.
(c) When the natives are going to kill Emperor Jones.
(d) Where Emperor Jones hid his food.
4. How are the forest scenes different from the opening scene in the palace?
(a) They are less realistic.
(b) They are more hyperbole.
(c) They lack the first scene's dark humor.
(d) They are more satirical.
5. Which literary term describes the structure of the first three forest scenes?
6. What literary term describes Emperor Jones' language when he shoots at the apparition?
7. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' work in the third forest scene?
8. How has Emperor Jones helped Smithers?
(a) By killing the man who was cheating Smithers.
(b) By installing him as Emperor.
(c) By freeing him from jail.
(d) By hiring him.
9. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
(a) He has collected his thoughts and he has a plan.
(b) He is terrified and runs blindly into the forest.
(c) He is confident and laughing about his luck.
(d) He steels himself against his fears.
10. What does this third apparition tell us about Jones' past?
(a) That he was once a prison guard.
(b) That he was wrongly imprisoned.
(c) That he remembers spending time on a chain gang.
(d) That he has had hallucinations in the past.
11. Where is the play set?
(a) Florida Keys.
(c) New Orleans.
(d) West Indies.
12. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
(c) Literal meaning.
13. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' vision of Jeff?
14. How long does Jones think he has been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) Half a day.
(d) All night.
15. How has Emperor Jones' appearance changed since the scene with the black figures?
(a) He is more composed and neater.
(b) He is practically naked.
(c) He is all wet.
(d) He is dirtier and less majestic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones do after he shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
2. What is the first thing Emperor Jones asks Smithers?
3. What does the omnipresence of the tom-tom drumming tell us about Emperor Jones' state of mind?
4. Which character is the first to appear in the second scene in the forest?
5. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What does he say to their leader?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)