|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the play set?
(a) West Indies.
(c) New Orleans.
(d) Florida Keys.
2. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes?
(a) His striped pants.
(b) His jacket and spurs.
(c) His food.
(d) His gun.
3. Emperor Jones sees figures in the forest. What do they seem to know?
(a) When Jones will die.
(b) What the tom-tom means.
(c) Where the natives are gathering.
(d) Where Jones' food is.
4. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' speech to the figures he sees?
5. What does Smithers talk to the old woman about in the first scene?
(a) Where she is going.
(b) Where Emperor Jones hid his food.
(c) When the natives are going to kill Emperor Jones.
(d) Where the other whites have gone.
6. What do the dark figures represent who Emperor Jones sees in the woods?
(a) The black people who came before him.
(b) The souls of the people he has killed.
(c) His sins and evil deeds.
(d) His memories of his family.
7. Who is the first character to appear on stage?
(b) Emperor Jones.
(c) An old woman.
8. Which literary term describes the structure of the first three forest scenes?
9. What is Jeff doing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) Shooting a prison guard.
(b) Threatening to shoot Jones.
(c) Shooting craps.
(d) Running through the forest.
10. The allegorical appearance of figures can also be described as what literary device?
(a) Dream vision.
(d) Vision quest.
11. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' vision of Jeff?
12. What is the first thing Emperor Jones asks Smithers?
(a) Where everyone is.
(b) Why white men are always in charge.
(c) What did he do wrong.
(d) Who the old woman's children are.
13. What does Jones do when he appears at the beginning of the third forest scene?
(a) He sees Jeff's apparition.
(b) He runs about wildly.
(c) He encounters the witch doctor.
(d) He stops to catch his breath.
14. How long does Jones think he has been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) Half a day.
(b) All night.
15. Which literary style describes the scenes in which Emperor Jones sees apparitions?
(b) Magic realism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emperor Jones tell the natives that only one person can kill him--who is that?
2. What does Jeff say when Emperor Jones speaks to him?
3. How has the beat of the tom-tom changed when the second forest scene opens?
4. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What does he say to their leader?
5. What are the figures carrying who Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)