|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of gun does Emperor Jones carry?
(b) Hunting rifle.
(c) Long-barreled revolver.
(d) Submachine gun.
2. What happens to lift Emperor Jones' spirits at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) One of the natives leads Jones through the forest.
(b) The moonlight makes it easier to see.
(c) He finds the food he had hidden.
(d) Smithers shows up with a torch.
3. Where did Emperor Jones learn the ways of the white man?
(a) A Pullman car.
(b) A welder on steam engines.
(c) A tracking and hunting outfit.
(d) A real estate business.
4. What do the dark figures represent who Emperor Jones sees in the woods?
(a) The black people who came before him.
(b) The souls of the people he has killed.
(c) His sins and evil deeds.
(d) His memories of his family.
5. Where have all the natives gone when the play is just beginning?
(a) To the beach.
(b) To the USA.
(c) To the hills.
(d) To the palace.
6. What does Smithers talk to the old woman about in the first scene?
(a) Where she is going.
(b) Where Emperor Jones hid his food.
(c) When the natives are going to kill Emperor Jones.
(d) Where the other whites have gone.
7. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
8. What are the figures carrying who Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene?
(a) Guns and shields.
(c) Bows and arrows.
(d) Picks and shovels.
9. What does Emperor Jones tell himself at the beginning of the third forest scene?
(a) That he will go back and kill Jeff.
(b) That he is going to die.
(c) That he has not seen any ghosts.
(d) That he is dreaming.
10. Who is the first character to appear on stage?
(a) Emperor Jones.
(d) An old woman.
11. What does Smithers tell Emperor Jones to look out for when Jones is leaving the palace?
(b) The witch doctor.
(c) Armed natives.
12. How does Jeff's appearance affect Jones' flight?
(a) He thinks that he can go back to America and make everything right.
(b) He feels that if he can just escape from the island he will be safe.
(c) He feels that he will not escape from his past, no matter how far he runs.
(d) He makes Jones desperate to escape from himself.
13. What does Emperor Jones decide to do after he rings for the servants?
(a) Send the army into the hills for the natives.
(b) Burn the palace down.
(c) Fortify the palace.
(d) Head for the hills.
14. Which term describes how Emperor Jones speaks after he leaves the palace?
15. Which literary style describes the scenes in which Emperor Jones sees apparitions?
(a) Magic realism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
2. What happens to Emperor Jones when he sees the apparition in the third forest scene?
3. What is the setting where the play begins?
4. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What does he say to their leader?
5. What does Emperor Jones' flight recall to him?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)