|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What does he say to their leader?
(a) He swears he will kill him.
(b) He promises to avenge his imprisonment.
(c) He proclaims his innocence.
(d) He says that he is in charge here.
2. What kind of gun does Emperor Jones carry?
(a) Submachine gun.
(b) Hunting rifle.
(c) Long-barreled revolver.
3. What appears to Emperor Jones in the first scene in the forest?
(a) Black formless fears.
(b) Native soldiers.
(c) The witch doctor.
(d) His memory of a slave auction.
4. What does this third apparition tell us about Jones' past?
(a) That he was once a prison guard.
(b) That he remembers spending time on a chain gang.
(c) That he was wrongly imprisoned.
(d) That he has had hallucinations in the past.
5. What happens to the tom-tom drumming when Emperor Jones shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) The drummer himself appears onstage.
(b) It changes rhythm again.
(c) It gets quieter and less threatening.
(d) It gets closer.
6. How has the beat of the tom-tom changed when the second forest scene opens?
(a) It has been joined by other drums.
(b) It is closer than before, but it is subdued.
(c) It is quieter, but it plays an angry rhythm.
(d) It is louder and closer than before.
7. Where have all the natives gone when the play is just beginning?
(a) To the palace.
(b) To the USA.
(c) To the hills.
(d) To the beach.
8. How has Emperor Jones helped Smithers?
(a) By freeing him from jail.
(b) By hiring him.
(c) By killing the man who was cheating Smithers.
(d) By installing him as Emperor.
9. Which literary style describes the scenes in which Emperor Jones sees apparitions?
(a) Magic realism.
10. What happens to Emperor Jones when he sees the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) His hands shake.
(b) He stammers.
(c) He faints.
(d) His eyes bulge.
11. What is the throne in the palace made of?
(a) Uncut wood.
(b) Precious metals and stones.
(d) Pearls and jewels.
12. What is Jeff doing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) Shooting craps.
(b) Shooting a prison guard.
(c) Running through the forest.
(d) Threatening to shoot Jones.
13. Where does Emperor Jones look for the food he buried?
(a) In a clearing.
(b) In the hollow of a tree.
(c) Under a white rock.
(d) In a cave.
14. What is the setting where the play begins?
(a) In an American slave auction.
(b) In the interior of a palace.
(c) In a Pullman car.
(d) In the forest.
15. What does Emperor Jones do after he shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) He looks around for food.
(b) He heads back to the palace.
(c) He celebrates his freedom.
(d) He flees into the forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emperor Jones see after he talks to himself when he enters in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. What is Jeff wearing when Emperor Jones sees him?
3. Where did Emperor Jones learn the ways of the white man?
4. Who gestures to Emperor Jones to join the figures in the apparition?
5. What does Jeff say when Emperor Jones speaks to him?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)