|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the throne in the palace made of?
(a) Uncut wood.
(b) Precious metals and stones.
(d) Pearls and jewels.
2. What does Emperor Jones tell himself at the beginning of the third forest scene?
(a) That he has not seen any ghosts.
(b) That he will go back and kill Jeff.
(c) That he is going to die.
(d) That he is dreaming.
3. Which term describes how Emperor Jones speaks after he leaves the palace?
4. What color is Jones' uniform?
(a) White with gold chevrons.
(b) Blue with gold chevrons.
(c) Black with gold stripes.
(d) Light blue with a red stripe.
5. What happens to Emperor Jones when he sees the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) He stammers.
(b) His eyes bulge.
(c) He faints.
(d) His hands shake.
6. How far away was Emperor Jones' would-be assassin when the gun misfired?
(a) 20 feet.
(b) 5 feet.
(c) Point blank.
(d) 10 feet.
7. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
(a) To the beach.
(b) Back to the palace.
(c) Into the forest.
(d) To the port.
8. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What does he say to their leader?
(a) He swears he will kill him.
(b) He promises to avenge his imprisonment.
(c) He says that he is in charge here.
(d) He proclaims his innocence.
9. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
(a) They tell him to leave.
(b) They do not say anything.
(c) They tell him where to go.
(d) They predict his future.
10. What literary term describes Emperor Jones' language when he shoots at the apparition?
11. Who is the first character to appear on stage?
(a) Emperor Jones.
(d) An old woman.
12. What does Emperor Jones feel when he sees Jeff in the second forest scene?
13. Which answer describes Jeff's movements?
14. Where does the third forest scene begin?
(a) At a wide, flat road.
(b) At a burial ground.
(c) At a well.
(d) At the palace.
15. What provision has Emperor Jones made in case of uprising?
(a) He put Smithers in charge of security.
(b) He stockpiled weapons in the palace.
(c) He buried food in the forest.
(d) He trained an elite security force.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
2. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when the leader of that group turns his back to Emperor Jones?
3. Who are the figures Emperor Jones sees working in this third forest scene?
4. Which literary style describes the scenes in which Emperor Jones sees apparitions?
5. What is Jeff doing when Emperor Jones sees him?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)