|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' speech to the figures he sees?
2. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes?
(a) His food.
(b) His gun.
(c) His jacket and spurs.
(d) His striped pants.
3. How are the forest scenes different from the opening scene in the palace?
(a) They are less realistic.
(b) They are more satirical.
(c) They are more hyperbole.
(d) They lack the first scene's dark humor.
4. Who are the figures Emperor Jones sees working in this third forest scene?
(a) Slaves on a chain gang.
(b) Lem and the witch doctor.
(d) Smithers and Lem.
5. Which answer describes Jeff's movements?
6. What does Emperor Jones tell himself at the beginning of the third forest scene?
(a) That he is dreaming.
(b) That he will go back and kill Jeff.
(c) That he is going to die.
(d) That he has not seen any ghosts.
7. What does Emperor Jones feel when he sees Jeff in the second forest scene?
8. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
(a) Literal meaning.
9. What does Jones do when he appears at the beginning of the third forest scene?
(a) He runs about wildly.
(b) He encounters the witch doctor.
(c) He sees Jeff's apparition.
(d) He stops to catch his breath.
10. How long does Jones think he has been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) Half a day.
(d) All night.
11. Who is the first character to appear on stage?
(a) An old woman.
(d) Emperor Jones.
12. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
(a) He is terrified and runs blindly into the forest.
(b) He steels himself against his fears.
(c) He has collected his thoughts and he has a plan.
(d) He is confident and laughing about his luck.
13. What are the figures carrying who Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene?
(a) Guns and shields.
(b) Picks and shovels.
(d) Bows and arrows.
14. What happens to Emperor Jones when he sees the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) He stammers.
(b) He faints.
(c) His hands shake.
(d) His eyes bulge.
15. The black figures that Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene are amused by what?
(a) Emperor Jones' language.
(b) Emperor Jones' gun.
(c) Emperor Jones' panic.
(d) Emperor Jones' clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gestures to Emperor Jones to join the figures in the apparition?
2. How do Emperor Jones and Smithers keep each other in their respective roles?
3. How has Emperor Jones' appearance changed since the scene with the black figures?
4. What makes Emperor Jones laugh at the beginning of the second forest scene?
5. Where have all the natives gone when the play is just beginning?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)