|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' vision of Jeff?
2. What is Jeff wearing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) A loincloth.
(b) A Pullman porter's suit.
(c) Jones' old clothes.
(d) A loincloth and cartridge belt.
3. How much light is there in the scene where Emperor Jones sees the formless black figures?
(a) The faint light of dawn lights the stage.
(b) A full moon lights the stage.
(c) The scene is lit fully by the daytime sun.
(d) Very little--the moon has not yet risen.
4. How well has Emperor Jones prepared for his flight from the palace?
(a) He has more than enough supplies to get him to safety.
(b) He has hidden the supplies that will get him to safety.
(c) He underestimated what he would need.
(d) He knows where to find what he needs in the forest.
5. How does Emperor Jones say he killed Jeff?
(a) With his hands.
(b) With a razor.
(c) He threw him off a train.
(d) With a gun.
6. How does Jeff's appearance affect Jones' flight?
(a) He makes Jones desperate to escape from himself.
(b) He thinks that he can go back to America and make everything right.
(c) He feels that if he can just escape from the island he will be safe.
(d) He feels that he will not escape from his past, no matter how far he runs.
7. What happens to lift Emperor Jones' spirits at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) One of the natives leads Jones through the forest.
(b) He finds the food he had hidden.
(c) The moonlight makes it easier to see.
(d) Smithers shows up with a torch.
8. What happens to the tom-tom drumming when Emperor Jones shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) It gets closer.
(b) The drummer himself appears onstage.
(c) It changes rhythm again.
(d) It gets quieter and less threatening.
9. How has Emperor Jones' appearance changed since the scene with the black figures?
(a) He is more composed and neater.
(b) He is practically naked.
(c) He is dirtier and less majestic.
(d) He is all wet.
10. The black figures that Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene are amused by what?
(a) Emperor Jones' clothing.
(b) Emperor Jones' language.
(c) Emperor Jones' panic.
(d) Emperor Jones' gun.
11. Where did Emperor Jones learn the ways of the white man?
(a) A Pullman car.
(b) A tracking and hunting outfit.
(c) A real estate business.
(d) A welder on steam engines.
12. Where does the third forest scene begin?
(a) At a burial ground.
(b) At a well.
(c) At a wide, flat road.
(d) At the palace.
13. What does Jones do when he appears at the beginning of the third forest scene?
(a) He stops to catch his breath.
(b) He runs about wildly.
(c) He encounters the witch doctor.
(d) He sees Jeff's apparition.
14. Of the people Emperor Jones sees in his vision in Act 1, Scene 4, one is in charge. What does he carry?
(b) A whip.
(c) A pick.
(d) A shovel.
15. What are the figures carrying who Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene?
(a) Bows and arrows.
(b) Guns and shields.
(d) Picks and shovels.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Emperor Jones changed in the first four scenes?
2. What happens to Emperor Jones when he sees the apparition in the third forest scene?
3. What color is the throne?
4. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
5. Who does Emperor Jones see after he talks to himself when he enters in Act 1, Scene 4?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)