|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
(a) He is confident and laughing about his luck.
(b) He has collected his thoughts and he has a plan.
(c) He is terrified and runs blindly into the forest.
(d) He steels himself against his fears.
2. Emperor Jones sees figures in the forest. What do they seem to know?
(a) What the tom-tom means.
(b) Where Jones' food is.
(c) When Jones will die.
(d) Where the natives are gathering.
3. Who tried but failed to kill Emperor Jones?
(a) The witch doctor.
4. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
(a) To distance himself from his own authority.
(b) To confront the natives.
(c) To avoid conflict with the natives.
(d) To outflank the natives.
5. What is the first thing Emperor Jones asks Smithers?
(a) Where everyone is.
(b) Why white men are always in charge.
(c) What did he do wrong.
(d) Who the old woman's children are.
6. What does the omnipresence of the tom-tom drumming tell us about Emperor Jones' state of mind?
(a) That he is dreaming all of this.
(b) That he will no longer swindle the natives.
(c) That he cannot escape from this situation.
(d) That he is a passive participant in his life now.
7. What color is Jones' uniform?
(a) White with gold chevrons.
(b) Blue with gold chevrons.
(c) Black with gold stripes.
(d) Light blue with a red stripe.
8. Which term describes how Emperor Jones speaks after he leaves the palace?
9. How long has Jones been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) Not long.
(b) Half a day.
(c) All night.
(d) A full day.
10. Who does Emperor Jones see after he talks to himself when he enters in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) The natives.
(c) A marketplace full of slaves.
(d) A chain gang.
11. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
(a) Laughing ghosts.
(b) A tom-tom drum.
(d) Whispering natives.
12. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when the leader of that group turns his back to Emperor Jones?
(a) Jones acts as if to slit his throat.
(b) Jones acts as if to hit him with a shovel.
(c) Jones shoots him with the silver bullet.
(d) Jones runs into the forest.
13. Where have all the natives gone when the play is just beginning?
(a) To the hills.
(b) To the palace.
(c) To the beach.
(d) To the USA.
14. Who gestures to Emperor Jones to join the figures in the apparition?
(a) The guard.
(b) The witch doctor.
(d) One of the prisoners.
15. What does Jones do when he appears at the beginning of the third forest scene?
(a) He encounters the witch doctor.
(b) He stops to catch his breath.
(c) He sees Jeff's apparition.
(d) He runs about wildly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones tell himself at the beginning of the third forest scene?
2. How much light is there in the scene where Emperor Jones sees the formless black figures?
3. What is Jeff doing when Emperor Jones sees him?
4. Why was Emperor Jones foolish to have fired his gun in the forest?
5. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)