|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the throne?
(a) Dark green with a green cushion.
(b) Bright red with an orange cushion.
(c) Jet black with a woven mat cushion.
(d) Ivory with an animal fur cushion.
2. What is the throne in the palace made of?
(a) Uncut wood.
(b) Precious metals and stones.
(c) Pearls and jewels.
3. Emperor Jones tell the natives that only one person can kill him--who is that?
(a) Emperor Jones himself.
(b) The witch doctor.
(d) The ghost of Jeff.
4. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
(a) He has collected his thoughts and he has a plan.
(b) He steels himself against his fears.
(c) He is confident and laughing about his luck.
(d) He is terrified and runs blindly into the forest.
5. What is the first thing Emperor Jones asks Smithers?
(a) Who the old woman's children are.
(b) Where everyone is.
(c) What did he do wrong.
(d) Why white men are always in charge.
6. Where does Emperor Jones look for the food he buried?
(a) Under a white rock.
(b) In a clearing.
(c) In the hollow of a tree.
(d) In a cave.
7. Where have all the natives gone when the play is just beginning?
(a) To the hills.
(b) To the USA.
(c) To the beach.
(d) To the palace.
8. How much light is there in the scene where Emperor Jones sees the formless black figures?
(a) The faint light of dawn lights the stage.
(b) A full moon lights the stage.
(c) The scene is lit fully by the daytime sun.
(d) Very little--the moon has not yet risen.
9. How well has Emperor Jones prepared for his flight from the palace?
(a) He has hidden the supplies that will get him to safety.
(b) He underestimated what he would need.
(c) He has more than enough supplies to get him to safety.
(d) He knows where to find what he needs in the forest.
10. What happens when Emperor Jones first fires his gun in the forest?
(a) The tom-tom gets louder and closer.
(b) He kills a crocodile.
(c) He kills one of the native leaders.
(d) The tom-tom stops.
11. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
(a) Whispering natives.
(b) A tom-tom drum.
(d) Laughing ghosts.
12. What color is Jones' uniform?
(a) Black with gold stripes.
(b) Blue with gold chevrons.
(c) Light blue with a red stripe.
(d) White with gold chevrons.
13. How has Emperor Jones' appearance changed since the scene with the black figures?
(a) He is more composed and neater.
(b) He is practically naked.
(c) He is all wet.
(d) He is dirtier and less majestic.
14. What do the dark figures represent who Emperor Jones sees in the woods?
(a) His memories of his family.
(b) His sins and evil deeds.
(c) The black people who came before him.
(d) The souls of the people he has killed.
15. How does Emperor Jones feel in the moments before he first sees the black figures in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones do after he shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
2. Of the people Emperor Jones sees in his vision in Act 1, Scene 4, one is in charge. What does he carry?
3. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
4. What does Emperor Jones lose in the forest?
5. Who tried but failed to kill Emperor Jones?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)