|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones do to make Jeff disappear?
(a) Dances around it.
(b) Shoots at it.
(c) Yells at it.
(d) Begs for forgiveness.
2. What does Emperor Jones feel when he sees Jeff in the second forest scene?
3. What does Smithers tell Emperor Jones to look out for when Jones is leaving the palace?
(b) Armed natives.
(c) The witch doctor.
4. What does the omnipresence of the tom-tom drumming tell us about Emperor Jones' state of mind?
(a) That he is a passive participant in his life now.
(b) That he will no longer swindle the natives.
(c) That he is dreaming all of this.
(d) That he cannot escape from this situation.
5. What is Jeff doing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) Running through the forest.
(b) Shooting a prison guard.
(c) Shooting craps.
(d) Threatening to shoot Jones.
6. What does Jones do when he appears at the beginning of the third forest scene?
(a) He encounters the witch doctor.
(b) He sees Jeff's apparition.
(c) He stops to catch his breath.
(d) He runs about wildly.
7. What color is the throne?
(a) Ivory with an animal fur cushion.
(b) Jet black with a woven mat cushion.
(c) Bright red with an orange cushion.
(d) Dark green with a green cushion.
8. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
(a) He picks up an imaginary shovel.
(b) He shoots at the figures.
(c) He takes off his clothes.
(d) He leads the other prisoners in a revolt.
9. What is the tone of the scene at the edge of the forest?
10. Which literary term defines Jeff's apparition?
(d) Dream vision.
11. What happens when Emperor Jones rings for the servants?
(a) They begin to drum in the forest.
(b) No one comes.
(c) They all come running.
(d) They come and shoot him.
12. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
13. What happens to lift Emperor Jones' spirits at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) He finds the food he had hidden.
(b) The moonlight makes it easier to see.
(c) One of the natives leads Jones through the forest.
(d) Smithers shows up with a torch.
14. What happens when Emperor Jones first fires his gun in the forest?
(a) He kills a crocodile.
(b) He kills one of the native leaders.
(c) The tom-tom stops.
(d) The tom-tom gets louder and closer.
15. How does Emperor Jones return to the forest at the end of the second forest scene?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
2. How far away was Emperor Jones' would-be assassin when the gun misfired?
3. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes?
4. What is the first thing Emperor Jones asks Smithers?
5. The allegorical appearance of figures can also be described as what literary device?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)