|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first character to appear on stage?
(c) Emperor Jones.
(d) An old woman.
2. What kind of gun does Emperor Jones carry?
(a) Submachine gun.
(c) Hunting rifle.
(d) Long-barreled revolver.
3. What does Jones do when he appears at the beginning of the third forest scene?
(a) He sees Jeff's apparition.
(b) He stops to catch his breath.
(c) He encounters the witch doctor.
(d) He runs about wildly.
4. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' speech to the figures he sees?
5. How long has Jones been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) All night.
(b) A full day.
(c) Not long.
(d) Half a day.
6. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes?
(a) His striped pants.
(b) His food.
(c) His gun.
(d) His jacket and spurs.
7. The black figures that Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene are amused by what?
(a) Emperor Jones' language.
(b) Emperor Jones' gun.
(c) Emperor Jones' panic.
(d) Emperor Jones' clothing.
8. Which literary term defines Jeff's apparition?
(b) Dream vision.
9. How does Emperor Jones feel when he is orienting himself in the forest?
10. What literary term describes Emperor Jones' language when he shoots at the apparition?
11. What does Emperor Jones' flight recall to him?
(a) His time as a long-distance runner.
(b) His flight in America.
(c) Running away from his parents' house.
(d) An earlier native uprising.
12. How does Emperor Jones' flight recall his time in America?
(a) He lived in the forest there as well.
(b) He was always on the run from his wife and family.
(c) He was always traveling as a salesman.
(d) He did not have the resources he needed then, either.
13. What do the natives mistakenly think about Emperor Jones?
(a) He is a runaway felon.
(b) He is a god.
(c) He has mysterious powers.
(d) He is a murderer.
14. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
(a) He shoots at the figures.
(b) He picks up an imaginary shovel.
(c) He leads the other prisoners in a revolt.
(d) He takes off his clothes.
15. How do Emperor Jones and Smithers keep each other in their respective roles?
(a) They kill each other's enemies.
(b) They know secrets about each other.
(c) They plot together against the medicine man.
(d) They agree to share power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What atmosphere does the tom-tom drumming create?
2. Where does Emperor Jones look for the food he buried?
3. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' work in the third forest scene?
4. How does Emperor Jones return to the forest at the end of the second forest scene?
5. Which literary style describes the scenes in which Emperor Jones sees apparitions?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)