|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the third forest scene begin?
(a) At a wide, flat road.
(b) At a burial ground.
(c) At the palace.
(d) At a well.
2. How long does Jones think he has been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(b) Half a day.
(d) All night.
3. What appears to Emperor Jones in the first scene in the forest?
(a) The witch doctor.
(b) Black formless fears.
(c) His memory of a slave auction.
(d) Native soldiers.
4. What happens to the tom-tom drumming when Emperor Jones shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) The drummer himself appears onstage.
(b) It changes rhythm again.
(c) It gets closer.
(d) It gets quieter and less threatening.
5. How does Emperor Jones feel in the moments before he first sees the black figures in Act 1, Scene 2?
6. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
(a) He steels himself against his fears.
(b) He is terrified and runs blindly into the forest.
(c) He has collected his thoughts and he has a plan.
(d) He is confident and laughing about his luck.
7. How has Emperor Jones' appearance changed since the scene with the black figures?
(a) He is all wet.
(b) He is more composed and neater.
(c) He is practically naked.
(d) He is dirtier and less majestic.
8. Who gestures to Emperor Jones to join the figures in the apparition?
(a) One of the prisoners.
(b) The witch doctor.
(d) The guard.
9. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
(a) He picks up an imaginary shovel.
(b) He shoots at the figures.
(c) He takes off his clothes.
(d) He leads the other prisoners in a revolt.
10. When does Emperor Jones notice the tom-tom?
(a) When he cannot find his food.
(b) When he fires his gun.
(c) When he hears laughter in the forest.
(d) When he thinks he hears footsteps.
11. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' speech to the figures he sees?
12. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
(c) Literal meaning.
13. What provision has Emperor Jones made in case of uprising?
(a) He trained an elite security force.
(b) He stockpiled weapons in the palace.
(c) He put Smithers in charge of security.
(d) He buried food in the forest.
14. Where did Emperor Jones learn the ways of the white man?
(a) A tracking and hunting outfit.
(b) A welder on steam engines.
(c) A Pullman car.
(d) A real estate business.
15. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
(a) They walk on long tentacles.
(b) They run on long legs.
(c) They try to stand but fall over.
(d) They seethe and boil like an ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Emperor Jones helped Smithers?
2. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
3. Emperor Jones tell the natives that only one person can kill him--who is that?
4. What does Smithers talk to the old woman about in the first scene?
5. What are the figures carrying who Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)