|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
(a) To distance himself from his own authority.
(b) To avoid conflict with the natives.
(c) To confront the natives.
(d) To outflank the natives.
2. What literary term describes Emperor Jones' language when he shoots at the apparition?
3. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
4. What are the figures carrying who Emperor Jones sees in the third forest scene?
(a) Bows and arrows.
(c) Picks and shovels.
(d) Guns and shields.
5. How long has Jones been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) Half a day.
(b) A full day.
(c) Not long.
(d) All night.
6. How has Emperor Jones changed in the first four scenes?
(a) He has more power to deal with things.
(b) He has lost his confidence and his regal bearing.
(c) He is more and more imperial in his status.
(d) He is wiser and more thoughtful about his responsibilities.
7. What color is Jones' uniform?
(a) Light blue with a red stripe.
(b) White with gold chevrons.
(c) Black with gold stripes.
(d) Blue with gold chevrons.
8. Where did Emperor Jones learn the ways of the white man?
(a) A tracking and hunting outfit.
(b) A welder on steam engines.
(c) A real estate business.
(d) A Pullman car.
9. How does Smithers say that Emperor Jones came into his position?
(a) A silver bullet.
(b) A power-sharing deal.
(c) An election.
(d) A military coup.
10. Where have all the natives gone when the play is just beginning?
(a) To the hills.
(b) To the palace.
(c) To the USA.
(d) To the beach.
11. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What does he say to their leader?
(a) He proclaims his innocence.
(b) He promises to avenge his imprisonment.
(c) He says that he is in charge here.
(d) He swears he will kill him.
12. What does Emperor Jones' flight recall to him?
(a) An earlier native uprising.
(b) His time as a long-distance runner.
(c) Running away from his parents' house.
(d) His flight in America.
13. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
(a) To the port.
(b) Into the forest.
(c) Back to the palace.
(d) To the beach.
14. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
(b) Laughing ghosts.
(c) Whispering natives.
(d) A tom-tom drum.
15. What does this third apparition tell us about Jones' past?
(a) That he was wrongly imprisoned.
(b) That he remembers spending time on a chain gang.
(c) That he was once a prison guard.
(d) That he has had hallucinations in the past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones tell himself at the beginning of the third forest scene?
2. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when Emperor Jones shoots at the leader?
3. What is the first thing Emperor Jones asks Smithers?
4. What does Smithers talk to the old woman about in the first scene?
5. How are the forest scenes different from the opening scene in the palace?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)