|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
(a) He leads the other prisoners in a revolt.
(b) He shoots at the figures.
(c) He picks up an imaginary shovel.
(d) He takes off his clothes.
2. What happens when Emperor Jones first fires his gun in the forest?
(a) He kills a crocodile.
(b) He kills one of the native leaders.
(c) The tom-tom stops.
(d) The tom-tom gets louder and closer.
3. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What does he say to their leader?
(a) He swears he will kill him.
(b) He says that he is in charge here.
(c) He proclaims his innocence.
(d) He promises to avenge his imprisonment.
4. What makes Emperor Jones laugh at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) His own foolishness.
(b) His apperance.
(c) His freedom.
(d) His anticipation of escape.
5. What atmosphere does the tom-tom drumming create?
(b) Impending doom.
(c) Savage anger.
(d) Lingering regret.
6. Emperor Jones sees figures in the forest. What do they seem to know?
(a) Where the natives are gathering.
(b) Where Jones' food is.
(c) When Jones will die.
(d) What the tom-tom means.
7. The black figures that Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene are amused by what?
(a) Emperor Jones' language.
(b) Emperor Jones' clothing.
(c) Emperor Jones' gun.
(d) Emperor Jones' panic.
8. Who is the first character to appear on stage?
(c) An old woman.
(d) Emperor Jones.
9. How long does Jones think he has been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(b) All night.
(c) Half a day.
10. When does Emperor Jones notice the tom-tom?
(a) When he hears laughter in the forest.
(b) When he cannot find his food.
(c) When he fires his gun.
(d) When he thinks he hears footsteps.
11. How has Emperor Jones' appearance changed since the scene with the black figures?
(a) He is practically naked.
(b) He is dirtier and less majestic.
(c) He is more composed and neater.
(d) He is all wet.
12. Who tried but failed to kill Emperor Jones?
(a) The witch doctor.
13. What is the first thing Emperor Jones asks Smithers?
(a) Who the old woman's children are.
(b) Why white men are always in charge.
(c) Where everyone is.
(d) What did he do wrong.
14. What is Jeff doing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) Running through the forest.
(b) Shooting a prison guard.
(c) Threatening to shoot Jones.
(d) Shooting craps.
15. Which statement describes the eyes of the figures whom Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene?
(a) They are blind.
(b) They are deformed.
(c) They glow.
(d) They are angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
2. Where is the play set?
3. What happens to Emperor Jones when he sees the apparition in the third forest scene?
4. How does the second forest scene open?
5. What provision has Emperor Jones made in case of uprising?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)