|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Emperor Jones when he sees the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) He stammers.
(b) His eyes bulge.
(c) His hands shake.
(d) He faints.
2. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
(a) Back to the palace.
(b) To the beach.
(c) Into the forest.
(d) To the port.
3. What does Emperor Jones decide to do after he rings for the servants?
(a) Head for the hills.
(b) Send the army into the hills for the natives.
(c) Burn the palace down.
(d) Fortify the palace.
4. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
5. Who are the figures Emperor Jones sees working in this third forest scene?
(a) Slaves on a chain gang.
(b) Lem and the witch doctor.
(d) Smithers and Lem.
6. What is the first thing Emperor Jones asks Smithers?
(a) Where everyone is.
(b) What did he do wrong.
(c) Why white men are always in charge.
(d) Who the old woman's children are.
7. What does Emperor Jones tell himself at the beginning of the third forest scene?
(a) That he is going to die.
(b) That he will go back and kill Jeff.
(c) That he has not seen any ghosts.
(d) That he is dreaming.
8. Why was Emperor Jones foolish to have fired his gun in the forest?
(a) The natives will know where he is.
(b) He is ruining the palace.
(c) He is killing natives and angering native leaders.
(d) He is wasting his last remaining bullets.
9. How long has Jones been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) Not long.
(b) A full day.
(c) All night.
(d) Half a day.
10. Which literary style describes the scenes in which Emperor Jones sees apparitions?
(b) Magic realism.
11. How are the forest scenes different from the opening scene in the palace?
(a) They are more satirical.
(b) They are more hyperbole.
(c) They are less realistic.
(d) They lack the first scene's dark humor.
12. What do the natives mistakenly think about Emperor Jones?
(a) He is a god.
(b) He is a runaway felon.
(c) He is a murderer.
(d) He has mysterious powers.
13. What happens to lift Emperor Jones' spirits at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) He finds the food he had hidden.
(b) The moonlight makes it easier to see.
(c) One of the natives leads Jones through the forest.
(d) Smithers shows up with a torch.
14. What does Smithers tell Emperor Jones to look out for when Jones is leaving the palace?
(a) Armed natives.
(d) The witch doctor.
15. What happens when Emperor Jones first fires his gun in the forest?
(a) He kills one of the native leaders.
(b) The tom-tom stops.
(c) The tom-tom gets louder and closer.
(d) He kills a crocodile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the basis for Smithers' authority in the palace?
2. What kind of gun does Emperor Jones carry?
3. Where is the play set?
4. What atmosphere does the tom-tom drumming create?
5. What literary term describes Emperor Jones' language when he shoots at the apparition?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)