|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones return to the forest at the end of the second forest scene?
2. How has Emperor Jones changed in the first four scenes?
(a) He has lost his confidence and his regal bearing.
(b) He is wiser and more thoughtful about his responsibilities.
(c) He is more and more imperial in his status.
(d) He has more power to deal with things.
3. What does Smithers talk to the old woman about in the first scene?
(a) Where Emperor Jones hid his food.
(b) Where she is going.
(c) Where the other whites have gone.
(d) When the natives are going to kill Emperor Jones.
4. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
(a) They do not say anything.
(b) They predict his future.
(c) They tell him where to go.
(d) They tell him to leave.
5. How does Emperor Jones say he killed Jeff?
(a) He threw him off a train.
(b) With a gun.
(c) With a razor.
(d) With his hands.
6. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when Emperor Jones shoots at the leader?
(a) Jeff returns on the side of the stage.
(b) Smithers brings him food.
(c) The apparition disappears.
(d) The natives find him and chase him.
7. How does Emperor Jones' flight recall his time in America?
(a) He did not have the resources he needed then, either.
(b) He was always on the run from his wife and family.
(c) He was always traveling as a salesman.
(d) He lived in the forest there as well.
8. What literary term describes Emperor Jones' language when he shoots at the apparition?
9. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
(c) Literal meaning.
10. Who gestures to Emperor Jones to join the figures in the apparition?
(a) The guard.
(b) One of the prisoners.
(c) The witch doctor.
11. How are the forest scenes different from the opening scene in the palace?
(a) They are more hyperbole.
(b) They are more satirical.
(c) They lack the first scene's dark humor.
(d) They are less realistic.
12. What happens when Emperor Jones rings for the servants?
(a) No one comes.
(b) They come and shoot him.
(c) They begin to drum in the forest.
(d) They all come running.
13. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
(a) He is terrified and runs blindly into the forest.
(b) He is confident and laughing about his luck.
(c) He has collected his thoughts and he has a plan.
(d) He steels himself against his fears.
14. What is Jeff doing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) Running through the forest.
(b) Shooting a prison guard.
(c) Shooting craps.
(d) Threatening to shoot Jones.
15. How well has Emperor Jones prepared for his flight from the palace?
(a) He underestimated what he would need.
(b) He has more than enough supplies to get him to safety.
(c) He knows where to find what he needs in the forest.
(d) He has hidden the supplies that will get him to safety.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
2. Emperor Jones sees figures in the forest. What do they seem to know?
3. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
4. What kind of gun does Emperor Jones carry?
5. What is the throne in the palace made of?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)