|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What does he say to their leader?
(a) He swears he will kill him.
(b) He promises to avenge his imprisonment.
(c) He says that he is in charge here.
(d) He proclaims his innocence.
2. How has Emperor Jones' appearance changed since the scene with the black figures?
(a) He is dirtier and less majestic.
(b) He is practically naked.
(c) He is more composed and neater.
(d) He is all wet.
3. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
(a) He steels himself against his fears.
(b) He is terrified and runs blindly into the forest.
(c) He has collected his thoughts and he has a plan.
(d) He is confident and laughing about his luck.
4. What happens to the tom-tom drumming when Emperor Jones shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) It gets quieter and less threatening.
(b) The drummer himself appears onstage.
(c) It changes rhythm again.
(d) It gets closer.
5. What happens to Emperor Jones when he sees the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) He faints.
(b) His eyes bulge.
(c) He stammers.
(d) His hands shake.
6. How does the tom-tom drumming change at the end of the second forest scene?
(a) It gets faster and closer.
(b) It gets further away.
(c) It fades to quiet.
(d) It gets angrier.
7. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when the leader of that group turns his back to Emperor Jones?
(a) Jones acts as if to hit him with a shovel.
(b) Jones runs into the forest.
(c) Jones acts as if to slit his throat.
(d) Jones shoots him with the silver bullet.
8. Emperor Jones sees figures in the forest. What do they seem to know?
(a) What the tom-tom means.
(b) When Jones will die.
(c) Where the natives are gathering.
(d) Where Jones' food is.
9. Who gestures to Emperor Jones to join the figures in the apparition?
(a) The witch doctor.
(b) One of the prisoners.
(c) The guard.
10. How are the forest scenes different from the opening scene in the palace?
(a) They are more satirical.
(b) They are more hyperbole.
(c) They are less realistic.
(d) They lack the first scene's dark humor.
11. What does Emperor Jones lose in the forest?
(a) His memory.
(b) His past.
(c) His bearings.
(d) His gun.
12. How well has Emperor Jones prepared for his flight from the palace?
(a) He has more than enough supplies to get him to safety.
(b) He has hidden the supplies that will get him to safety.
(c) He underestimated what he would need.
(d) He knows where to find what he needs in the forest.
13. Where does Emperor Jones look for the food he buried?
(a) In a clearing.
(b) In a cave.
(c) Under a white rock.
(d) In the hollow of a tree.
14. What provision has Emperor Jones made in case of uprising?
(a) He stockpiled weapons in the palace.
(b) He put Smithers in charge of security.
(c) He buried food in the forest.
(d) He trained an elite security force.
15. How does Emperor Jones' flight recall his time in America?
(a) He was always on the run from his wife and family.
(b) He lived in the forest there as well.
(c) He did not have the resources he needed then, either.
(d) He was always traveling as a salesman.
Short Answer Questions
1. The black figures that Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene are amused by what?
2. What does Emperor Jones feel when he sees Jeff in the second forest scene?
3. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
4. What does Emperor Jones decide to do after he rings for the servants?
5. What do the natives mistakenly think about Emperor Jones?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)