|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The black figures that Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene are amused by what?
(a) Emperor Jones' language.
(b) Emperor Jones' gun.
(c) Emperor Jones' clothing.
(d) Emperor Jones' panic.
2. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
(a) They walk on long tentacles.
(b) They try to stand but fall over.
(c) They run on long legs.
(d) They seethe and boil like an ocean.
3. Who gestures to Emperor Jones to join the figures in the apparition?
(a) The witch doctor.
(c) One of the prisoners.
(d) The guard.
4. What does Smithers tell Emperor Jones to look out for when Jones is leaving the palace?
(b) The witch doctor.
(c) Armed natives.
5. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' work in the third forest scene?
6. How has the beat of the tom-tom changed when the second forest scene opens?
(a) It is louder and closer than before.
(b) It has been joined by other drums.
(c) It is closer than before, but it is subdued.
(d) It is quieter, but it plays an angry rhythm.
7. Who is the first character to appear on stage?
(b) An old woman.
(c) Emperor Jones.
8. Where does the third forest scene begin?
(a) At a wide, flat road.
(b) At a well.
(c) At the palace.
(d) At a burial ground.
9. What does Emperor Jones lose in the forest?
(a) His memory.
(b) His bearings.
(c) His past.
(d) His gun.
10. How does Emperor Jones say he killed Jeff?
(a) With a razor.
(b) With his hands.
(c) With a gun.
(d) He threw him off a train.
11. What does Smithers talk to the old woman about in the first scene?
(a) Where the other whites have gone.
(b) Where she is going.
(c) Where Emperor Jones hid his food.
(d) When the natives are going to kill Emperor Jones.
12. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
(a) He takes off his clothes.
(b) He picks up an imaginary shovel.
(c) He leads the other prisoners in a revolt.
(d) He shoots at the figures.
13. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
(a) He is terrified and runs blindly into the forest.
(b) He is confident and laughing about his luck.
(c) He steels himself against his fears.
(d) He has collected his thoughts and he has a plan.
14. How are the forest scenes different from the opening scene in the palace?
(a) They lack the first scene's dark humor.
(b) They are more hyperbole.
(c) They are less realistic.
(d) They are more satirical.
15. What is Jeff wearing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) A loincloth.
(b) A loincloth and cartridge belt.
(c) Jones' old clothes.
(d) A Pullman porter's suit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Emperor Jones foolish to have fired his gun in the forest?
2. The allegorical appearance of figures can also be described as what literary device?
3. What does the omnipresence of the tom-tom drumming tell us about Emperor Jones' state of mind?
4. What is the setting where the play begins?
5. What kind of gun does Emperor Jones carry?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)