|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
(b) A tom-tom drum.
(c) Laughing ghosts.
(d) Whispering natives.
2. What happens when Emperor Jones first fires his gun in the forest?
(a) He kills one of the native leaders.
(b) He kills a crocodile.
(c) The tom-tom stops.
(d) The tom-tom gets louder and closer.
3. What makes Emperor Jones laugh at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) His anticipation of escape.
(b) His apperance.
(c) His freedom.
(d) His own foolishness.
4. Why was Emperor Jones foolish to have fired his gun in the forest?
(a) He is killing natives and angering native leaders.
(b) He is wasting his last remaining bullets.
(c) The natives will know where he is.
(d) He is ruining the palace.
5. How has Emperor Jones' appearance changed since the scene with the black figures?
(a) He is practically naked.
(b) He is all wet.
(c) He is more composed and neater.
(d) He is dirtier and less majestic.
6. What atmosphere does the tom-tom drumming create?
(a) Lingering regret.
(b) Impending doom.
(d) Savage anger.
7. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
(a) To the port.
(b) Into the forest.
(c) Back to the palace.
(d) To the beach.
8. How does Emperor Jones return to the forest at the end of the second forest scene?
9. Which literary style describes the scenes in which Emperor Jones sees apparitions?
(c) Magic realism.
10. What happens to lift Emperor Jones' spirits at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) The moonlight makes it easier to see.
(b) One of the natives leads Jones through the forest.
(c) Smithers shows up with a torch.
(d) He finds the food he had hidden.
11. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
(a) They tell him where to go.
(b) They predict his future.
(c) They tell him to leave.
(d) They do not say anything.
12. What appears to Emperor Jones in the first scene in the forest?
(a) Black formless fears.
(b) The witch doctor.
(c) His memory of a slave auction.
(d) Native soldiers.
13. What does Emperor Jones lose in the forest?
(a) His past.
(b) His memory.
(c) His bearings.
(d) His gun.
14. What is Jeff wearing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) A loincloth.
(b) A loincloth and cartridge belt.
(c) A Pullman porter's suit.
(d) Jones' old clothes.
15. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
(b) Literal meaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emperor Jones see after he talks to himself when he enters in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
3. How does Emperor Jones' flight recall his time in America?
4. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
5. What is the basis for Smithers' authority in the palace?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)