|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the tone of the scene at the edge of the forest?
2. What is the throne in the palace made of?
(a) Uncut wood.
(c) Precious metals and stones.
(d) Pearls and jewels.
3. How has Emperor Jones changed in the first four scenes?
(a) He has more power to deal with things.
(b) He is wiser and more thoughtful about his responsibilities.
(c) He is more and more imperial in his status.
(d) He has lost his confidence and his regal bearing.
4. What does Smithers tell Emperor Jones to look out for when Jones is leaving the palace?
(b) Armed natives.
(c) The witch doctor.
5. What is Jeff wearing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) A loincloth.
(b) A loincloth and cartridge belt.
(c) Jones' old clothes.
(d) A Pullman porter's suit.
6. How does Jeff's appearance affect Jones' flight?
(a) He thinks that he can go back to America and make everything right.
(b) He makes Jones desperate to escape from himself.
(c) He feels that he will not escape from his past, no matter how far he runs.
(d) He feels that if he can just escape from the island he will be safe.
7. What does Emperor Jones decide to do after he rings for the servants?
(a) Send the army into the hills for the natives.
(b) Burn the palace down.
(c) Fortify the palace.
(d) Head for the hills.
8. What happens to lift Emperor Jones' spirits at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) Smithers shows up with a torch.
(b) The moonlight makes it easier to see.
(c) He finds the food he had hidden.
(d) One of the natives leads Jones through the forest.
9. How much light is there in the scene where Emperor Jones sees the formless black figures?
(a) The scene is lit fully by the daytime sun.
(b) A full moon lights the stage.
(c) The faint light of dawn lights the stage.
(d) Very little--the moon has not yet risen.
10. Who is the first character to appear on stage?
(a) An old woman.
(b) Emperor Jones.
11. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
(a) They try to stand but fall over.
(b) They walk on long tentacles.
(c) They seethe and boil like an ocean.
(d) They run on long legs.
12. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when Emperor Jones shoots at the leader?
(a) The natives find him and chase him.
(b) Jeff returns on the side of the stage.
(c) The apparition disappears.
(d) Smithers brings him food.
13. Emperor Jones tell the natives that only one person can kill him--who is that?
(b) The witch doctor.
(c) Emperor Jones himself.
(d) The ghost of Jeff.
14. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
15. What makes Emperor Jones laugh at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) His own foolishness.
(b) His freedom.
(c) His apperance.
(d) His anticipation of escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have all the natives gone when the play is just beginning?
2. What does Emperor Jones do after he shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
3. What does the omnipresence of the tom-tom drumming tell us about Emperor Jones' state of mind?
4. What color is Jones' uniform?
5. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when the leader of that group turns his back to Emperor Jones?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)