|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones do to make Jeff disappear?
(a) Dances around it.
(b) Shoots at it.
(c) Begs for forgiveness.
(d) Yells at it.
2. What does Jeff say when Emperor Jones speaks to him?
(a) He accuses Jones of killing him.
(b) He vows revenge.
(c) He does not respond.
(d) He predicts Jones' death.
3. How has the beat of the tom-tom changed when the second forest scene opens?
(a) It has been joined by other drums.
(b) It is closer than before, but it is subdued.
(c) It is quieter, but it plays an angry rhythm.
(d) It is louder and closer than before.
4. Which literary term defines Jeff's apparition?
(a) Dream vision.
5. How does Emperor Jones say he killed Jeff?
(a) With a razor.
(b) With a gun.
(c) He threw him off a train.
(d) With his hands.
6. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
(a) He picks up an imaginary shovel.
(b) He shoots at the figures.
(c) He takes off his clothes.
(d) He leads the other prisoners in a revolt.
7. What does Emperor Jones lose in the forest?
(a) His gun.
(b) His past.
(c) His bearings.
(d) His memory.
8. What happens to Emperor Jones when he sees the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) He stammers.
(b) He faints.
(c) His eyes bulge.
(d) His hands shake.
9. Where does the third forest scene begin?
(a) At a burial ground.
(b) At a well.
(c) At a wide, flat road.
(d) At the palace.
10. How does Smithers say that Emperor Jones came into his position?
(a) A power-sharing deal.
(b) An election.
(c) A silver bullet.
(d) A military coup.
11. What color is Jones' uniform?
(a) Black with gold stripes.
(b) Blue with gold chevrons.
(c) Light blue with a red stripe.
(d) White with gold chevrons.
12. How does the second forest scene open?
(a) The moon rises.
(b) The sun rises.
(c) The moon sets.
(d) The sun sets.
13. Where is the play set?
(a) New Orleans.
(b) Florida Keys.
(c) West Indies.
14. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
(d) Literal meaning.
15. What does the omnipresence of the tom-tom drumming tell us about Emperor Jones' state of mind?
(a) That he is dreaming all of this.
(b) That he cannot escape from this situation.
(c) That he is a passive participant in his life now.
(d) That he will no longer swindle the natives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What does he say to their leader?
2. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
3. Why was Emperor Jones foolish to have fired his gun in the forest?
4. What happens when Emperor Jones first fires his gun in the forest?
5. What makes Emperor Jones laugh at the beginning of the second forest scene?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)