|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting where the play begins?
(a) In the interior of a palace.
(b) In a Pullman car.
(c) In the forest.
(d) In an American slave auction.
2. What atmosphere does the tom-tom drumming create?
(b) Savage anger.
(c) Impending doom.
(d) Lingering regret.
3. What is Jeff wearing when Emperor Jones sees him?
(a) A loincloth and cartridge belt.
(b) Jones' old clothes.
(c) A Pullman porter's suit.
(d) A loincloth.
4. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
(a) He is terrified and runs blindly into the forest.
(b) He has collected his thoughts and he has a plan.
(c) He steels himself against his fears.
(d) He is confident and laughing about his luck.
5. Who is the first character to appear on stage?
(a) Emperor Jones.
(b) An old woman.
6. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
(a) To outflank the natives.
(b) To avoid conflict with the natives.
(c) To confront the natives.
(d) To distance himself from his own authority.
7. Which statement describes the eyes of the figures whom Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene?
(a) They are blind.
(b) They glow.
(c) They are angry.
(d) They are deformed.
8. Where is the play set?
(b) Florida Keys.
(c) New Orleans.
(d) West Indies.
9. Where does Emperor Jones look for the food he buried?
(a) In a cave.
(b) In a clearing.
(c) In the hollow of a tree.
(d) Under a white rock.
10. How much light is there in the scene where Emperor Jones sees the formless black figures?
(a) Very little--the moon has not yet risen.
(b) The scene is lit fully by the daytime sun.
(c) The faint light of dawn lights the stage.
(d) A full moon lights the stage.
11. What happens when Emperor Jones rings for the servants?
(a) They all come running.
(b) They come and shoot him.
(c) No one comes.
(d) They begin to drum in the forest.
12. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
(a) A tom-tom drum.
(b) Whispering natives.
(d) Laughing ghosts.
13. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' vision of Jeff?
14. How does Emperor Jones' flight recall his time in America?
(a) He was always on the run from his wife and family.
(b) He did not have the resources he needed then, either.
(c) He was always traveling as a salesman.
(d) He lived in the forest there as well.
15. What happens to lift Emperor Jones' spirits at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) The moonlight makes it easier to see.
(b) He finds the food he had hidden.
(c) Smithers shows up with a torch.
(d) One of the natives leads Jones through the forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones decide to do after he rings for the servants?
2. How does Emperor Jones feel in the moments before he first sees the black figures in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when Emperor Jones shoots at the leader?
4. What is the tone of the scene at the edge of the forest?
5. What makes Emperor Jones laugh at the beginning of the second forest scene?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)