|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the tone of the scene at the edge of the forest?
2. What does Jeff say when Emperor Jones speaks to him?
(a) He vows revenge.
(b) He accuses Jones of killing him.
(c) He does not respond.
(d) He predicts Jones' death.
3. What is the basis for Smithers' authority in the palace?
(a) He is the emperor's right hand man.
(b) He is a medicine man.
(c) He is the emperor.
(d) He is a white man.
4. Which statement describes the eyes of the figures whom Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene?
(a) They are angry.
(b) They are deformed.
(c) They glow.
(d) They are blind.
5. How does Emperor Jones feel in the moments before he first sees the black figures in Act 1, Scene 2?
6. What does Smithers talk to the old woman about in the first scene?
(a) Where the other whites have gone.
(b) Where she is going.
(c) When the natives are going to kill Emperor Jones.
(d) Where Emperor Jones hid his food.
7. What does Emperor Jones' flight recall to him?
(a) His flight in America.
(b) Running away from his parents' house.
(c) An earlier native uprising.
(d) His time as a long-distance runner.
8. Where did Emperor Jones learn the ways of the white man?
(a) A tracking and hunting outfit.
(b) A Pullman car.
(c) A welder on steam engines.
(d) A real estate business.
9. Which answer describes Jeff's movements?
10. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' work in the third forest scene?
11. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
12. How does the tom-tom drumming change at the end of the second forest scene?
(a) It gets angrier.
(b) It fades to quiet.
(c) It gets faster and closer.
(d) It gets further away.
13. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
(a) Back to the palace.
(b) To the port.
(c) To the beach.
(d) Into the forest.
14. How long has Jones been walking at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) All night.
(b) Half a day.
(c) Not long.
(d) A full day.
15. What happens to the tom-tom drumming when Emperor Jones shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) It gets closer.
(b) It changes rhythm again.
(c) The drummer himself appears onstage.
(d) It gets quieter and less threatening.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the play set?
2. What makes Emperor Jones laugh at the beginning of the second forest scene?
3. Where does Emperor Jones look for the food he buried?
4. What is the setting where the play begins?
5. How does Emperor Jones feel when he is orienting himself in the forest?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)