|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appears to Emperor Jones in the first scene in the forest?
(a) The witch doctor.
(b) Native soldiers.
(c) Black formless fears.
(d) His memory of a slave auction.
2. Which literary term defines Jeff's apparition?
(b) Dream vision.
3. What makes Emperor Jones laugh at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) His apperance.
(b) His anticipation of escape.
(c) His own foolishness.
(d) His freedom.
4. What does Emperor Jones tell himself at the beginning of the third forest scene?
(a) That he is dreaming.
(b) That he has not seen any ghosts.
(c) That he is going to die.
(d) That he will go back and kill Jeff.
5. How does Jeff's appearance affect Jones' flight?
(a) He makes Jones desperate to escape from himself.
(b) He thinks that he can go back to America and make everything right.
(c) He feels that he will not escape from his past, no matter how far he runs.
(d) He feels that if he can just escape from the island he will be safe.
6. What do the dark figures represent who Emperor Jones sees in the woods?
(a) His memories of his family.
(b) The souls of the people he has killed.
(c) His sins and evil deeds.
(d) The black people who came before him.
7. What happens to the tom-tom drumming when Emperor Jones shoots at the apparition in the third forest scene?
(a) It changes rhythm again.
(b) It gets quieter and less threatening.
(c) The drummer himself appears onstage.
(d) It gets closer.
8. What does Jeff say when Emperor Jones speaks to him?
(a) He predicts Jones' death.
(b) He accuses Jones of killing him.
(c) He vows revenge.
(d) He does not respond.
9. What does Jones do when he appears at the beginning of the third forest scene?
(a) He encounters the witch doctor.
(b) He runs about wildly.
(c) He sees Jeff's apparition.
(d) He stops to catch his breath.
10. The allegorical appearance of figures can also be described as what literary device?
(a) Vision quest.
(b) Dream vision.
11. How do Emperor Jones and Smithers keep each other in their respective roles?
(a) They kill each other's enemies.
(b) They know secrets about each other.
(c) They plot together against the medicine man.
(d) They agree to share power.
12. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
(a) They predict his future.
(b) They do not say anything.
(c) They tell him to leave.
(d) They tell him where to go.
13. How does Emperor Jones feel in the moments before he first sees the black figures in Act 1, Scene 2?
14. How does Emperor Jones' flight recall his time in America?
(a) He lived in the forest there as well.
(b) He was always traveling as a salesman.
(c) He did not have the resources he needed then, either.
(d) He was always on the run from his wife and family.
15. What color is Jones' uniform?
(a) Light blue with a red stripe.
(b) Black with gold stripes.
(c) White with gold chevrons.
(d) Blue with gold chevrons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
2. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
3. Which literary style describes the scenes in which Emperor Jones sees apparitions?
4. How has the beat of the tom-tom changed when the second forest scene opens?
5. How does Smithers say that Emperor Jones came into his position?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)