|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose experience is Emperor Jones envisioning in the fifth forest scene?
(b) His own.
(d) His ancestors'.
2. What happens to lift Emperor Jones' spirits at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) The moonlight makes it easier to see.
(b) He finds the food he had hidden.
(c) Smithers shows up with a torch.
(d) One of the natives leads Jones through the forest.
3. What does Emperor Jones feel when he sees Jeff in the second forest scene?
4. What has the forest come to symbolize over the course of the five forest scenes so far?
(a) The redemptive fecundity of nature.
(b) The chaos at the heart of the universe.
(c) The darkness in the heart of men.
(d) Emperor Jones' racial history.
5. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
(a) They walk on long tentacles.
(b) They try to stand but fall over.
(c) They seethe and boil like an ocean.
(d) They run on long legs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lem say he got his silver bullet?
2. How does Emperor Jones feel when he enters the sixth forest scene?
3. How have the tom-tom beats changed at the end of the sixth forest scene?
4. Which literary style describes the scenes in which Emperor Jones sees apparitions?
5. What is the state of Emperor Jones' clothing as the fourth forest scene begins?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)