|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones say at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
(a) He pleads for mercy because of his suffering.
(b) He tells himself that he will be free.
(c) He vows to kill Smithers.
(d) He is only moaning.
2. How has the beat of the tom-tom changed when the second forest scene opens?
(a) It is quieter, but it plays an angry rhythm.
(b) It has been joined by other drums.
(c) It is closer than before, but it is subdued.
(d) It is louder and closer than before.
3. What do we learn from the interaction between what Emperor Jones says and what the figures say in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
(a) That he is in the same position as the slaves.
(b) That he is still in charge of the natives.
(c) That he will continue to run until he dies.
(d) That he is sorry for his sins.
4. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
(a) To the beach.
(b) Back to the palace.
(c) Into the forest.
(d) To the port.
5. How does Emperor Jones say he killed Jeff?
(a) With a gun.
(b) He threw him off a train.
(c) With his hands.
(d) With a razor.
Short Answer Questions
1. The black figures that Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene are amused by what?
2. Where have all the natives gone when the play is just beginning?
3. Which answer represents the setting when the last scene opens?
4. What state is Emperor Jones in when the natives bring him back in the final scene?
5. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)