|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much light is there in the scene where Emperor Jones sees the formless black figures?
(a) The scene is lit fully by the daytime sun.
(b) The faint light of dawn lights the stage.
(c) A full moon lights the stage.
(d) Very little--the moon has not yet risen.
2. Emperor Jones sees a scene in Act 1 Scene 5. Where does one of the figures in his vision gesture for him to stand?
(a) On a stump.
(b) On an auction stage.
(c) On a throne.
(d) On a guillotine.
3. What provision has Emperor Jones made in case of uprising?
(a) He buried food in the forest.
(b) He trained an elite security force.
(c) He put Smithers in charge of security.
(d) He stockpiled weapons in the palace.
4. Is the apparition in the fourth forest scene from Emperor Jones' past?
(a) Yes, it recalls the time when he was sold at auction.
(b) Yes, it recalls the time he spent on a chain gang.
(c) No, it is an ancestral vision.
(d) No, it is Lem's vision of a blood sacrifice.
5. What do the dark figures represent who Emperor Jones sees in the woods?
(a) The souls of the people he has killed.
(b) His sins and evil deeds.
(c) The black people who came before him.
(d) His memories of his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away was Emperor Jones' would-be assassin when the gun misfired?
2. Whose help does Emperor Jones ask for in his final vision?
3. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when Emperor Jones shoots at the leader?
4. How does Emperor Jones dispel his final vision?
5. How does Emperor Jones' flight recall his time in America?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)