|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the tom-tom drumming change at the end of the second forest scene?
(a) It gets further away.
(b) It gets faster and closer.
(c) It gets angrier.
(d) It fades to quiet.
2. How are the figures arranged in Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
(a) Gathered around the altar.
(b) Dancing in a circle.
(c) Bounding back and forth across the stage.
(d) Arranged in symmetrical rows.
3. Emperor Jones sees figures in the forest. What do they seem to know?
(a) Where Jones' food is.
(b) Where the natives are gathering.
(c) When Jones will die.
(d) What the tom-tom means.
4. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
(a) To avoid conflict with the natives.
(b) To confront the natives.
(c) To distance himself from his own authority.
(d) To outflank the natives.
5. Which literary term describes the apparition in the fourth forest scene?
(a) Ancestral memory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the people Emperor Jones sees in his vision in Act 1, Scene 4, one is in charge. What does he carry?
2. What is the setting of the sixth forest scene?
3. What does Emperor Jones feel when he realizes his part in the vision he sees in the fourth forest scene?
4. What does the setting in the fifth forest scene represent?
5. What is the significance of Emperor Jones dispelling his final vision?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)