|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when Emperor Jones shoots at the leader?
(a) The natives find him and chase him.
(b) Jeff returns on the side of the stage.
(c) The apparition disappears.
(d) Smithers brings him food.
2. What part does Emperor Jones play in the vision he sees in the fourth forest scene?
(a) He is leading a slave revolt.
(b) He is a slave being auctioned.
(c) He is being punished.
(d) He is on trial.
3. How does the tom-tom drumming change at the end of the second forest scene?
(a) It gets angrier.
(b) It gets further away.
(c) It gets faster and closer.
(d) It fades to quiet.
4. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
(a) They try to stand but fall over.
(b) They seethe and boil like an ocean.
(c) They run on long legs.
(d) They walk on long tentacles.
5. What does the omnipresence of the tom-tom drumming tell us about Emperor Jones' state of mind?
(a) That he is a passive participant in his life now.
(b) That he will no longer swindle the natives.
(c) That he is dreaming all of this.
(d) That he cannot escape from this situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the setting in the fifth forest scene represent?
2. What is Jeff doing when Emperor Jones sees him?
3. Where is the play set?
4. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
5. How does Emperor Jones feel at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)