|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
(a) They do not say anything.
(b) They predict his future.
(c) They tell him where to go.
(d) They tell him to leave.
2. What color is Jones' uniform?
(a) Light blue with a red stripe.
(b) Black with gold stripes.
(c) Blue with gold chevrons.
(d) White with gold chevrons.
3. How does Emperor Jones say he killed Jeff?
(a) With a razor.
(b) He threw him off a train.
(c) With his hands.
(d) With a gun.
4. How are the forest scenes different from the opening scene in the palace?
(a) They are more hyperbole.
(b) They lack the first scene's dark humor.
(c) They are less realistic.
(d) They are more satirical.
5. How does Jeff's appearance affect Jones' flight?
(a) He feels that he will not escape from his past, no matter how far he runs.
(b) He thinks that he can go back to America and make everything right.
(c) He makes Jones desperate to escape from himself.
(d) He feels that if he can just escape from the island he will be safe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Emperor Jones changed in the first four scenes?
2. Who are the figures Emperor Jones sees working in this third forest scene?
3. How has the beat of the tom-tom changed when the second forest scene opens?
4. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
5. Who gestures to Emperor Jones to join the figures in the apparition?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)