|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
(a) They tell him to leave.
(b) They tell him where to go.
(c) They predict his future.
(d) They do not say anything.
2. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
(a) To avoid conflict with the natives.
(b) To confront the natives.
(c) To distance himself from his own authority.
(d) To outflank the natives.
3. What does Emperor Jones decide to do after he rings for the servants?
(a) Fortify the palace.
(b) Send the army into the hills for the natives.
(c) Burn the palace down.
(d) Head for the hills.
4. Which literary term defines Jeff's apparition?
(b) Dream vision.
5. What color is the throne?
(a) Dark green with a green cushion.
(b) Bright red with an orange cushion.
(c) Jet black with a woven mat cushion.
(d) Ivory with an animal fur cushion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tone of the scene at the edge of the forest?
2. How does Emperor Jones feel when he is orienting himself in the forest?
3. What is the basis for Smithers' authority in the palace?
4. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
5. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' vision of Jeff?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)