|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones' flight recall his time in America?
(a) He was always on the run from his wife and family.
(b) He lived in the forest there as well.
(c) He was always traveling as a salesman.
(d) He did not have the resources he needed then, either.
2. What appears to Emperor Jones in the first scene in the forest?
(a) Native soldiers.
(b) The witch doctor.
(c) His memory of a slave auction.
(d) Black formless fears.
3. How has Emperor Jones helped Smithers?
(a) By freeing him from jail.
(b) By installing him as Emperor.
(c) By killing the man who was cheating Smithers.
(d) By hiring him.
4. How does Smithers say that Emperor Jones came into his position?
(a) A military coup.
(b) An election.
(c) A silver bullet.
(d) A power-sharing deal.
5. Emperor Jones tell the natives that only one person can kill him--who is that?
(a) Emperor Jones himself.
(c) The ghost of Jeff.
(d) The witch doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Emperor Jones first fires his gun in the forest?
2. Which literary device describes the increasing tempo of the tom-tom drumming?
3. Where did Emperor Jones learn the ways of the white man?
4. Which statement describes the eyes of the figures whom Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene?
5. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)