|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
(a) Literal meaning.
2. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
(a) He steels himself against his fears.
(b) He is confident and laughing about his luck.
(c) He has collected his thoughts and he has a plan.
(d) He is terrified and runs blindly into the forest.
3. How far away was Emperor Jones' would-be assassin when the gun misfired?
(a) 10 feet.
(b) Point blank.
(c) 5 feet.
(d) 20 feet.
4. How does Smithers say that Emperor Jones came into his position?
(a) A military coup.
(b) A power-sharing deal.
(c) A silver bullet.
(d) An election.
5. What is the setting where the play begins?
(a) In the interior of a palace.
(b) In a Pullman car.
(c) In the forest.
(d) In an American slave auction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have all the natives gone when the play is just beginning?
2. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
3. Where did Emperor Jones learn the ways of the white man?
4. Where does Emperor Jones look for the food he buried?
5. Emperor Jones tell the natives that only one person can kill him--who is that?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)