|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones hear in the forest?
(b) A tom-tom drum.
(c) Laughing ghosts.
(d) Whispering natives.
2. How does Emperor Jones feel after he has seen the black figures?
(a) He steels himself against his fears.
(b) He is terrified and runs blindly into the forest.
(c) He is confident and laughing about his luck.
(d) He has collected his thoughts and he has a plan.
3. Which statement describes the eyes of the figures whom Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene?
(a) They are deformed.
(b) They glow.
(c) They are angry.
(d) They are blind.
4. What is the basis for Smithers' authority in the palace?
(a) He is a white man.
(b) He is the emperor's right hand man.
(c) He is a medicine man.
(d) He is the emperor.
5. What color is Jones' uniform?
(a) Black with gold stripes.
(b) Light blue with a red stripe.
(c) Blue with gold chevrons.
(d) White with gold chevrons.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones' flight recall his time in America?
2. Why was Emperor Jones foolish to have fired his gun in the forest?
3. How has Emperor Jones helped Smithers?
4. How does Smithers say that Emperor Jones came into his position?
5. Why does Emperor Jones head for the forest at the end of the first scene?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)