|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the play set?
(a) West Indies.
(b) New Orleans.
(d) Florida Keys.
2. How much light is there in the scene where Emperor Jones sees the formless black figures?
(a) The scene is lit fully by the daytime sun.
(b) Very little--the moon has not yet risen.
(c) A full moon lights the stage.
(d) The faint light of dawn lights the stage.
3. The black figures that Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene are amused by what?
(a) Emperor Jones' language.
(b) Emperor Jones' panic.
(c) Emperor Jones' gun.
(d) Emperor Jones' clothing.
4. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
(a) Literal meaning.
5. What color is the throne?
(a) Jet black with a woven mat cushion.
(b) Bright red with an orange cushion.
(c) Dark green with a green cushion.
(d) Ivory with an animal fur cushion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
2. Emperor Jones sees figures in the forest. What do they seem to know?
3. What color is Jones' uniform?
4. What happens when Emperor Jones first fires his gun in the forest?
5. How does Emperor Jones' flight recall his time in America?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)