|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appears to Emperor Jones in the first scene in the forest?
(a) The witch doctor.
(b) Native soldiers.
(c) Black formless fears.
(d) His memory of a slave auction.
2. Emperor Jones sees figures in the forest. What do they seem to know?
(a) Where the natives are gathering.
(b) Where Jones' food is.
(c) When Jones will die.
(d) What the tom-tom means.
3. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
(a) They try to stand but fall over.
(b) They run on long legs.
(c) They seethe and boil like an ocean.
(d) They walk on long tentacles.
4. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of this first scene outside the palace?
(a) Back to the palace.
(b) To the port.
(c) To the beach.
(d) Into the forest.
5. What does Emperor Jones' flight recall to him?
(a) Running away from his parents' house.
(b) His time as a long-distance runner.
(c) An earlier native uprising.
(d) His flight in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. The black figures that Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene are amused by what?
2. What is the basis for Smithers' authority in the palace?
3. What do the natives mistakenly think about Emperor Jones?
4. Which statement describes the eyes of the figures whom Emperor Jones sees in the first forest scene?
5. How does Emperor Jones feel when he is orienting himself in the forest?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)