|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones decide to do after he rings for the servants?
(a) Head for the hills.
(b) Send the army into the hills for the natives.
(c) Burn the palace down.
(d) Fortify the palace.
2. How much light is there in the scene where Emperor Jones sees the formless black figures?
(a) Very little--the moon has not yet risen.
(b) The scene is lit fully by the daytime sun.
(c) The faint light of dawn lights the stage.
(d) A full moon lights the stage.
3. What provision has Emperor Jones made in case of uprising?
(a) He buried food in the forest.
(b) He trained an elite security force.
(c) He put Smithers in charge of security.
(d) He stockpiled weapons in the palace.
4. Where is the play set?
(a) West Indies.
(b) Florida Keys.
(c) New Orleans.
5. What appears to Emperor Jones in the first scene in the forest?
(a) His memory of a slave auction.
(b) Native soldiers.
(c) The witch doctor.
(d) Black formless fears.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when Emperor Jones shoots at the leader?
2. How do the figures move in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
3. What does the setting in the fifth forest scene represent?
4. How has time progressed in Emperor Jones' first five visions?
5. What happens to lift Emperor Jones' spirits at the beginning of the second forest scene?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)