|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which literary term describes the apparition in the fourth forest scene?
(b) Ancestral memory.
2. What apparition does Emperor Jones see in this fourth forest scene?
(a) A slave uprising.
(b) A prison scene.
(c) A trial in court.
(d) A slave auction.
3. When does Emperor Jones notice the tom-tom?
(a) When he hears laughter in the forest.
(b) When he thinks he hears footsteps.
(c) When he cannot find his food.
(d) When he fires his gun.
4. What has the forest come to symbolize over the course of the five forest scenes so far?
(a) The chaos at the heart of the universe.
(b) Emperor Jones' racial history.
(c) The redemptive fecundity of nature.
(d) The darkness in the heart of men.
5. What happens when Emperor Jones first fires his gun in the forest?
(a) He kills one of the native leaders.
(b) He kills a crocodile.
(c) The tom-tom gets louder and closer.
(d) The tom-tom stops.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones feel about the thing he throws into the bushes in the fourth forest scene?
2. What does Emperor Jones' flight recall to him?
3. How does the tom-tom drumming change at the end of the second forest scene?
4. Where does Emperor Jones go at the end of the fourth forest scene?
5. Who does Emperor Jones see after he talks to himself when he enters in Act 1, Scene 4?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)