|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Emperor Jones look for the food he buried?
(a) Under a white rock.
(b) In a cave.
(c) In the hollow of a tree.
(d) In a clearing.
2. What is the setting where the play begins?
(a) In the interior of a palace.
(b) In a Pullman car.
(c) In the forest.
(d) In an American slave auction.
3. How has Emperor Jones' appearance changed since the scene with the black figures?
(a) He is all wet.
(b) He is dirtier and less majestic.
(c) He is practically naked.
(d) He is more composed and neater.
4. What makes Emperor Jones laugh at the beginning of the second forest scene?
(a) His freedom.
(b) His own foolishness.
(c) His anticipation of escape.
(d) His apperance.
5. When does Emperor Jones notice the tom-tom?
(a) When he thinks he hears footsteps.
(b) When he hears laughter in the forest.
(c) When he cannot find his food.
(d) When he fires his gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What atmosphere does the tom-tom drumming create?
2. What does Emperor Jones do when he is invited, with a gesture, to join the figures he sees in the third forest scene?
3. What apparition does Emperor Jones see in this fourth forest scene?
4. What does Emperor Jones' flight recall to him?
5. What does Emperor Jones do once he sees his part in the vision in the fourth forest scene?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)