|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when Emperor Jones shoots at the leader?
(a) Jeff returns on the side of the stage.
(b) Smithers brings him food.
(c) The natives find him and chase him.
(d) The apparition disappears.
2. What literary term describes Emperor Jones' language when he shoots at the apparition?
3. What appears to Emperor Jones in the first scene in the forest?
(a) Black formless fears.
(b) Native soldiers.
(c) The witch doctor.
(d) His memory of a slave auction.
4. Where did Emperor Jones learn the ways of the white man?
(a) A real estate business.
(b) A tracking and hunting outfit.
(c) A welder on steam engines.
(d) A Pullman car.
5. Who does Emperor Jones stand in for in the fourth forest scene?
(a) All slaves.
(b) All black men.
(c) All black American men.
(d) All slave buyers.
Short Answer Questions
1. The allegorical appearance of figures can also be described as what literary device?
2. What does the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fourth forest scene tell us about the development of the play?
3. What does Emperor Jones tell himself at the beginning of the third forest scene?
4. What atmosphere does the drumming create during the fourth forest scene?
5. Which literary term describes the structure of the first three forest scenes?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)