|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appears to Emperor Jones in the first scene in the forest?
(a) The witch doctor.
(b) Native soldiers.
(c) Black formless fears.
(d) His memory of a slave auction.
2. How does Emperor Jones feel in the moments before he first sees the black figures in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Which literary term best approximates the sound Emperor Jones makes in the fifth forest scene?
4. What does the setting in the fifth forest scene represent?
(a) The hold of a slave ship.
(b) The barracks of a plantation.
(c) A graveyard.
(d) A prison cell.
5. What does this third apparition tell us about Jones' past?
(a) That he was once a prison guard.
(b) That he remembers spending time on a chain gang.
(c) That he has had hallucinations in the past.
(d) That he was wrongly imprisoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can we gather from the fact that Emperor Jones does not shoot anyone in the apparition in the fifth forest scene?
2. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
3. Emperor Jones sees a group of figures in Act 1, Scene 4. What happens when Emperor Jones shoots at the leader?
4. What does Emperor Jones see in the fifth forest scene?
5. Whom does Emperor Jones resemble in his dress in the fifth forest scene?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)