|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Emperor Jones feel when he is orienting himself in the forest?
2. Who are the figures Emperor Jones sees working in this third forest scene?
(a) Lem and the witch doctor.
(c) Slaves on a chain gang.
(d) Smithers and Lem.
3. How do the figures that Emperor Jones sees in the forest move?
(a) They seethe and boil like an ocean.
(b) They run on long legs.
(c) They try to stand but fall over.
(d) They walk on long tentacles.
4. Which literary term describes the structure of the first three forest scenes?
5. What does Emperor Jones say at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
(a) He is only moaning.
(b) He vows to kill Smithers.
(c) He pleads for mercy because of his suffering.
(d) He tells himself that he will be free.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary device is employed in this first forest scene?
2. What has changed about Emperor Jones' appearance as the fifth forest scene begins?
3. What is the tone of Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
4. What do we learn from the interaction between what Emperor Jones says and what the figures say in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
5. Which literary term describes Emperor Jones' work in the third forest scene?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)