|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emperor Jones say at the beginning of the fifth forest scene?
(a) He vows to kill Smithers.
(b) He pleads for mercy because of his suffering.
(c) He tells himself that he will be free.
(d) He is only moaning.
2. What does this third apparition tell us about Jones' past?
(a) That he remembers spending time on a chain gang.
(b) That he was once a prison guard.
(c) That he was wrongly imprisoned.
(d) That he has had hallucinations in the past.
3. Where does Emperor Jones look for the food he buried?
(a) In the hollow of a tree.
(b) Under a white rock.
(c) In a cave.
(d) In a clearing.
4. What do we learn from the interaction between what Emperor Jones says and what the figures say in the vision Emperor Jones sees in the fifth forest scene?
(a) That he is sorry for his sins.
(b) That he is in the same position as the slaves.
(c) That he is still in charge of the natives.
(d) That he will continue to run until he dies.
5. What does Emperor Jones throw into the bushes?
(a) His striped pants.
(b) His gun.
(c) His food.
(d) His jacket and spurs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary term best approximates the sound Emperor Jones makes in the fifth forest scene?
2. How has Emperor Jones changed in the first four scenes?
3. How does Emperor Jones feel when he is orienting himself in the forest?
4. What do the dark figures who Emperor Jones sees in the forest know?
5. How are the figures arranged in Emperor Jones' vision in the fifth forest scene?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)