Act 1, Scene 1
1. What is the setting where the play begins?
(a) In the forest.
(b) In a Pullman car.
(c) In an American slave auction.
(d) In the interior of a palace.
2. Where is the play set?
(a) Florida Keys.
(b) West Indies.
(c) New Orleans.
3. What is the throne in the palace made of?
(b) Precious metals and stones.
(c) Pearls and jewels.
(d) Uncut wood.
4. What color is the throne?
(a) Dark green with a green cushion.
(b) Jet black with a woven mat cushion.
(c) Ivory with an animal fur cushion.
(d) Bright red with an orange cushion.
5. Who is the first character to appear on stage?
(b) Emperor Jones.
(c) An old woman.
6. What is the basis for Smithers' authority in the palace?
(a) He is the emperor.
(b) He is a white man.
(c) He is a medicine man.
(d) He is the emperor's right hand man.
7. What does Smithers talk to the old woman about in the first scene?
(a) When the natives are going to kill Emperor Jones.
(b) Where she is going.
(c) Where Emperor Jones hid his food.
(d) Where the other whites have gone.
This section contains 5,443 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)