|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emma tell herself she is anxious to see Mr. Churchill?
2. What causes the number to unavoidably increase to nine?
3. Why are Mr. Churchill's aunt and uncle moving to London?
4. What solution does Mr. George Knightley come up with for Emma's reasons for delaying their wedding?
5. Who continues to be unpleasant and make rude comments, even at Emma's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Knightley continue to dislike Mr. Churchill?
2. Why does Mr. Woodhouse change his mind about Emma marrying Mr. Knightley?
3. What convinces Emma she is not in love with Mr. Churchill? Who does Emma think would be a good match for Mr. Churchill?
4. What does Emma learn when she visits the Bateses after Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill?
5. Why does Mr. Knightley dislike Mr. Churchill? Does this influence the comments he makes to Emma regarding Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
6. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
7. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
8. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
9. Who has gotten married? What does Emma think of this match?
10. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Weston? What is her relationship to Emma? How does her marriage to Mr. Weston change her relationship to Emma? Why is Emma unhappy with this change? How is Mrs. Weston related to Mr. Churchill? Why does Mrs. Weston think Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? Is she? Why is Mrs. Weston upset when she learns about the secret Mr. Churchill has been hiding? What is this secret? How does it impact Emma?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. George Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley spend so much time with Emma? Why does Emma come to believe that Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax? Is he? Why is Emma upset at the idea of this match? What is she afraid will happen if Mr. Knightley marries? Who does Emma try to match Mr. Knightley with at the end of the novel? Why does Mr. Knightley believe Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? What does Mr. Knightley reveal when he learns Emma is not in love with Mr. Churchill?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Elton? Why does Emma set out to match Mr. Elton with Harriet? Why does Emma believe Mr. Elton is good for Harriet? How does Mr. Elton feel about Emma's attentions? Does Mr. Elton know Emma wants him to fall in love with Harriet? When does Mr. Elton learn this fact? What secret does Mr. Elton reveal to Emma? How does this secret change Emma's aspirations of matching Mr. Elton to Harriet? How does this change affect Harriet?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)