|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what town does Mr. Churchill move with his aunt and uncle?
2. How does Emma react to the news?
3. Who interrupts this visit, angry with Mr. George Knightley?
4. What news does Emma learn from Miss Fairfax the following day?
5. Who does Harriet confess that she really loves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
2. What does Harriet decide to destroy after her encounter with the gypsies?
3. What does Emma learn when she visits the Bateses after Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill?
4. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
5. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
6. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
7. About whom does Emma make a rude comment at Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill? Why?
8. Who does Emma learn has passed away?
9. Who has gotten married? What does Emma think of this match?
10. What convinces Emma she is not in love with Mr. Churchill? Who does Emma think would be a good match for Mr. Churchill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Weston? What is her relationship to Emma? How does her marriage to Mr. Weston change her relationship to Emma? Why is Emma unhappy with this change? How is Mrs. Weston related to Mr. Churchill? Why does Mrs. Weston think Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? Is she? Why is Mrs. Weston upset when she learns about the secret Mr. Churchill has been hiding? What is this secret? How does it impact Emma?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. Martin? Why does Emma not approve of his desire to marry Harriet? How does Emma treat Mr. Martin? How does Harriet treat Mr. Martin? Why does Emma put a time limit on a visit Harriet makes to the Martin home? Is this appropriate? How do Harriet and Mr. Martin finally get together? How does Emma feel about this match? Why does Emma's feelings change? Should Emma have listened to Harriet's opinion on Mr. Martin despite her personal opinion of Mr. Martin's social status? How does Emma's change of heart reflect her character growth?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Isabella Knightley? How is Isabella the personification of the Victorian housewife? Does Emma look up to her sister? Does Emma aspire to have the same life Isabella has? Why or why not? Does Isabella make marriage look desirable? Is Isabella a good wife and mother? How does marriage change Isabella's behaviors? How does marriage affect Isabella's relationship with her father? Her sister?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)