|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emma deduce Harriet is in love with?
2. Who refuses to dance with Harriet in an attempt to humiliate her?
3. Who dies in Volume 3, Chapter 9?
4. Who is most scandalized by Mr. George Knightley's decision to move into Hartfield?
5. Who claims Mr. Knightley protests Emma's question too much?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Woodhouse change his mind about Emma marrying Mr. Knightley?
2. Who does Emma decide to match Harriet with next?
3. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
4. Who else becomes engaged? To whom?
5. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
6. When Emma speaks to Mr. Knightley upon his return what does he tell her?
7. What decision does Mr. Knightley make when Emma tells him why she cannot marry him immediately?
8. Why does Mr. Knightley continue to dislike Mr. Churchill?
9. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
10. What does Harriet decide to destroy after her encounter with the gypsies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Elton? Where is she from? How does Emma feel about Mrs. Elton? How does Harriet feel about Mrs. Elton? Do the people of the village like Mrs. Elton? How does Mrs. Elton attempt to embarrass Harriet at the Westons' ball? Why? Why does Mrs. Elton constantly express unpleasant things about Emma? Why does Mrs. Elton's opinion matter? Is Mrs. Elton jealous? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss friendship. Who is Emma's best friend? Why does Emma feel as though she has lost her best friend? Has she? Why does Emma befriend Harriet? Why does Emma shun Miss Fairfax? Is Emma a true friend to Harriet? Why or why not? How does Emma hurt Harriet? Does she do this intentionally? Why does Emma eventually regret her treatment of Miss Fairfax? How does Emma go about repairing this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss setting. When is this novel set? Where is the novel set? How does the setting impact the development of the plot? How might the novel be different if it were set in modern times? What are the values of the time period in which the novel is set? How do those values compare to modern values? How does the location of the setting affect the characters? Would the novel be different if it had been set in New York City or Tokyo? How?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)