|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Bateses and Miss Fairfax seem to know a lot about?
2. What is the baby named?
3. Why does Emma tell herself she is anxious to see Mr. Churchill?
4. Who has a baby in Volume 3, Chapter 17?
5. Why does Harriet announce she never plans to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Knightley dislike Mr. Churchill? Does this influence the comments he makes to Emma regarding Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
2. What decision does Mr. Knightley make when Emma tells him why she cannot marry him immediately?
3. Who disapproves of Emma's engagement to Mr. Knightley?
4. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
5. Who thinks the living arrangements Emma and Mr. Knightley have come up with are improper?
6. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
7. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
8. Why does Emma decide to throw a dinner party? Why does Emma insist on keeping the guest list down to eight names?
9. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
10. How does Miss Fairfax react to Emma's attempts to apologize for her past behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss marriage. What is marriage? How is marriage viewed by the novel's characters? Is it important for women to be married in the setting of this novel? Why or why not? Is marriage a career for some women? Is marriage something to aspire to? How does Emma feel about marriage? How does Harriet feel about marriage? How do their views compare? How does Isabella feel about marriage? What kind of example does Isabella set for Emma in regards to marriage? Does Emma aspire to have what Isabella has? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. Churchill? Who is he related to? Why does Mr. Churchill not have his father's name? What are the circumstances of Mr. Churchill's birth? Is this unusual given the setting of the novel? How does Emma feel about Mr. Churchill? How does Mr. Churchill feel about Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley not like Mr. Churchill? Is his opinion important to Emma? What secret does Mr. Churchill harbor throughout the novel? Why does he keep this secret? How does the secret impact the people of the village when they learn the truth? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss secrets. Who has a secret in this novel? Why do these characters keep secrets? How do these secrets impact the people around them? How many secrets are revealed to Emma in the course of the novel? How does each of these secrets impact Emma's actions and feelings? How do secrets impact Harriet? Mr. Knightley? Mr. Elton? Is keeping secrets a bad thing? Is there ever a good reason to keep a secret? Explain.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)