|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what town does Mr. Churchill move with his aunt and uncle?
2. Why is Mrs. Elton's picnic at Box Hill delayed?
3. What does Mr. John Knightley say that causes Emma to be amused?
4. What causes Emma to suspect she might be in love with Mr. Churchill?
5. Why does Emma begin regretting her treatment of Miss Fairfax?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
2. Who decides to become a governess, making this announcement at Emma's dinner party?
3. What convinces Emma she is not in love with Mr. Churchill? Who does Emma think would be a good match for Mr. Churchill?
4. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
5. Why does Emma decide to throw a dinner party? Why does Emma insist on keeping the guest list down to eight names?
6. Who thinks the living arrangements Emma and Mr. Knightley have come up with are improper?
7. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
8. Who does Emma learn has passed away?
9. What does Emma learn when she visits the Bateses after Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill?
10. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. Woodhouse? Why does Mr. Woodhouse worry about the foods he eats and his overall health? Is Mr. Woodhouse mentally disturbed, or are his opinions based on something else? Why does Mr. Woodhouse's son-in-law have no patience for Mr. Woodhouse's quirks? How does this cause tension between the two men? Why does Mr. Woodhouse not approve of Emma's engagement? Why does he change his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Emma? Why does Emma feel she is superior to the people around her? Why does Emma believe herself to be a gifted matchmaker? What matches has Emma made that were successful? Who is Emma's next target? Why does Emma not allow these people to find love on their own? Why does Emma seek out the company of Harriet? Why does Emma not like Miss Fairfax? Why does Emma never want to marry? Why does Emma change her mind when she finds herself alone with her father? Does fear compel Emma's decision?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. George Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley spend so much time with Emma? Why does Emma come to believe that Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax? Is he? Why is Emma upset at the idea of this match? What is she afraid will happen if Mr. Knightley marries? Who does Emma try to match Mr. Knightley with at the end of the novel? Why does Mr. Knightley believe Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? What does Mr. Knightley reveal when he learns Emma is not in love with Mr. Churchill?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)