|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds this decision on Miss Fairfax's part appalling?
2. What event does Emma feel should take place before she can marry?
3. Why is Emma put off with Mr. Churchill at this party?
4. Who befriends Miss Fairfax in the beginning of Volume 2, Chapter 15?
5. How does Mr. Woodhouse respond to Emma's engagement?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
2. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
3. What convinces Emma she is not in love with Mr. Churchill? Who does Emma think would be a good match for Mr. Churchill?
4. What does Emma learn when she visits the Bateses after Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill?
5. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
6. Who thinks the living arrangements Emma and Mr. Knightley have come up with are improper?
7. When Emma speaks to Mr. Knightley upon his return what does he tell her?
8. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
9. Who has gotten married? What does Emma think of this match?
10. Who does Emma decide to match Harriet with next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Isabella Knightley? How is Isabella the personification of the Victorian housewife? Does Emma look up to her sister? Does Emma aspire to have the same life Isabella has? Why or why not? Does Isabella make marriage look desirable? Is Isabella a good wife and mother? How does marriage change Isabella's behaviors? How does marriage affect Isabella's relationship with her father? Her sister?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Elton? Where is she from? How does Emma feel about Mrs. Elton? How does Harriet feel about Mrs. Elton? Do the people of the village like Mrs. Elton? How does Mrs. Elton attempt to embarrass Harriet at the Westons' ball? Why? Why does Mrs. Elton constantly express unpleasant things about Emma? Why does Mrs. Elton's opinion matter? Is Mrs. Elton jealous? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Elton? Why does Emma set out to match Mr. Elton with Harriet? Why does Emma believe Mr. Elton is good for Harriet? How does Mr. Elton feel about Emma's attentions? Does Mr. Elton know Emma wants him to fall in love with Harriet? When does Mr. Elton learn this fact? What secret does Mr. Elton reveal to Emma? How does this secret change Emma's aspirations of matching Mr. Elton to Harriet? How does this change affect Harriet?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)