|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first of the three local couples to get married?
2. What game does Emma play with Mr. Churchill after tea at Hartfield?
3. What does Mr. George Knightley confess to Emma?
4. Why is Emma happy about this incident in which Mr. Churchill has been forced to save Harriet?
5. Who has a baby in Volume 3, Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Emma decide to throw a dinner party? Why does Emma insist on keeping the guest list down to eight names?
2. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
3. Who disapproves of Emma's engagement to Mr. Knightley?
4. What does Harriet decide to destroy after her encounter with the gypsies?
5. What convinces Emma she is not in love with Mr. Churchill? Who does Emma think would be a good match for Mr. Churchill?
6. When Emma speaks to Mr. Knightley upon his return what does he tell her?
7. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
8. Who does Emma learn has passed away?
9. Who thinks the living arrangements Emma and Mr. Knightley have come up with are improper?
10. Who does Emma decide to match Harriet with next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Harriet? How do Harriet and Emma become friends? Who are Harriet's parents? Are their identity important to Harriet? Why or why not? Who does Harriet fall in love with? Why does Harriet go along with Emma's scheme to match Harriet to Mr. Elton? Does Harriet love Mr. Elton? Why does Harriet come to believe no man will ever love her? Whose fault is this? Does Harriet ever find love? How?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. George Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley spend so much time with Emma? Why does Emma come to believe that Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax? Is he? Why is Emma upset at the idea of this match? What is she afraid will happen if Mr. Knightley marries? Who does Emma try to match Mr. Knightley with at the end of the novel? Why does Mr. Knightley believe Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? What does Mr. Knightley reveal when he learns Emma is not in love with Mr. Churchill?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Isabella Knightley? How is Isabella the personification of the Victorian housewife? Does Emma look up to her sister? Does Emma aspire to have the same life Isabella has? Why or why not? Does Isabella make marriage look desirable? Is Isabella a good wife and mother? How does marriage change Isabella's behaviors? How does marriage affect Isabella's relationship with her father? Her sister?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)