|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emma react to the news?
2. Who does Emma reach out to, and is rebuffed, when she learns of this person's illness?
3. Why does Emma believe Mr. Churchill is anxious when he visits her?
4. Why did Mrs. Weston believe this news would upset Emma?
5. Who claims Mr. Knightley protests Emma's question too much?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Mr. Knightley make when Emma tells him why she cannot marry him immediately?
2. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
3. What reason does Emma have to not get married right away?
4. How does Miss Fairfax react to Emma's attempts to apologize for her past behavior?
5. Who decides to become a governess, making this announcement at Emma's dinner party?
6. What does Emma learn when she visits the Bateses after Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill?
7. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
8. Who disapproves of Emma's engagement to Mr. Knightley?
9. Who has gotten married? What does Emma think of this match?
10. Why does Mr. Woodhouse change his mind about Emma marrying Mr. Knightley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Emma? Why does Emma feel she is superior to the people around her? Why does Emma believe herself to be a gifted matchmaker? What matches has Emma made that were successful? Who is Emma's next target? Why does Emma not allow these people to find love on their own? Why does Emma seek out the company of Harriet? Why does Emma not like Miss Fairfax? Why does Emma never want to marry? Why does Emma change her mind when she finds herself alone with her father? Does fear compel Emma's decision?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss friendship. Who is Emma's best friend? Why does Emma feel as though she has lost her best friend? Has she? Why does Emma befriend Harriet? Why does Emma shun Miss Fairfax? Is Emma a true friend to Harriet? Why or why not? How does Emma hurt Harriet? Does she do this intentionally? Why does Emma eventually regret her treatment of Miss Fairfax? How does Emma go about repairing this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Harriet? How do Harriet and Emma become friends? Who are Harriet's parents? Are their identity important to Harriet? Why or why not? Who does Harriet fall in love with? Why does Harriet go along with Emma's scheme to match Harriet to Mr. Elton? Does Harriet love Mr. Elton? Why does Harriet come to believe no man will ever love her? Whose fault is this? Does Harriet ever find love? How?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)