|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Emma think Mr. Churchill's engagement might upset Harriet?
2. What do Emma and Mr. Churchill discover they have in common?
3. What type of robberies are taking place in Highbury?
4. What is the baby named?
5. Why does Emma try to keep word of the incident from her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
2. What convinces Emma she is not in love with Mr. Churchill? Who does Emma think would be a good match for Mr. Churchill?
3. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
4. About whom does Emma make a rude comment at Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill? Why?
5. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
6. Who thinks the living arrangements Emma and Mr. Knightley have come up with are improper?
7. What decision does Mr. Knightley make when Emma tells him why she cannot marry him immediately?
8. When Emma speaks to Mr. Knightley upon his return what does he tell her?
9. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
10. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss social status. What is social status? How does one's place in society affect their friends, their behaviors, and their attitudes? How does Emma see herself in the realm of social status? Is Emma's behavior dictated by her social status? How does the social status of other characters affect the way Emma treats them? Is Emma fair in her treatment of other characters based on their social status? Does Emma's attitude change as the novel progresses? In what way?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. Woodhouse? Why does Mr. Woodhouse worry about the foods he eats and his overall health? Is Mr. Woodhouse mentally disturbed, or are his opinions based on something else? Why does Mr. Woodhouse's son-in-law have no patience for Mr. Woodhouse's quirks? How does this cause tension between the two men? Why does Mr. Woodhouse not approve of Emma's engagement? Why does he change his mind?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mrs. Elton? Where is she from? How does Emma feel about Mrs. Elton? How does Harriet feel about Mrs. Elton? Do the people of the village like Mrs. Elton? How does Mrs. Elton attempt to embarrass Harriet at the Westons' ball? Why? Why does Mrs. Elton constantly express unpleasant things about Emma? Why does Mrs. Elton's opinion matter? Is Mrs. Elton jealous? Why?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)