|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes ill, causing Emma plenty of time to think of her regrets?
2. Who does Emma regret attempting to play matchmaker with?
3. What is Mr. Knightley's fear for this new baby?
4. Who refuses to dance with Harriet in an attempt to humiliate her?
5. Why is Emma happy about this incident in which Mr. Churchill has been forced to save Harriet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
2. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
3. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
4. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
5. What decision does Mr. Knightley make when Emma tells him why she cannot marry him immediately?
6. What does Harriet decide to destroy after her encounter with the gypsies?
7. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
8. About whom does Emma make a rude comment at Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill? Why?
9. When Emma speaks to Mr. Knightley upon his return what does he tell her?
10. Who is Emma afraid will be crushed by the news of Mr. Churchill's engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss setting. When is this novel set? Where is the novel set? How does the setting impact the development of the plot? How might the novel be different if it were set in modern times? What are the values of the time period in which the novel is set? How do those values compare to modern values? How does the location of the setting affect the characters? Would the novel be different if it had been set in New York City or Tokyo? How?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Elton? Where is she from? How does Emma feel about Mrs. Elton? How does Harriet feel about Mrs. Elton? Do the people of the village like Mrs. Elton? How does Mrs. Elton attempt to embarrass Harriet at the Westons' ball? Why? Why does Mrs. Elton constantly express unpleasant things about Emma? Why does Mrs. Elton's opinion matter? Is Mrs. Elton jealous? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Martin? Why does Emma not approve of his desire to marry Harriet? How does Emma treat Mr. Martin? How does Harriet treat Mr. Martin? Why does Emma put a time limit on a visit Harriet makes to the Martin home? Is this appropriate? How do Harriet and Mr. Martin finally get together? How does Emma feel about this match? Why does Emma's feelings change? Should Emma have listened to Harriet's opinion on Mr. Martin despite her personal opinion of Mr. Martin's social status? How does Emma's change of heart reflect her character growth?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)