|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emma send Harriet away?
2. Who does Emma deduce Harriet is in love with?
3. Who refuses to dance with Harriet in an attempt to humiliate her?
4. What do Emma and Mr. Churchill discover they have in common?
5. Why did Mrs. Weston believe this news would upset Emma?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
2. Why does Mr. Knightley dislike Mr. Churchill? Does this influence the comments he makes to Emma regarding Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
3. Who thinks the living arrangements Emma and Mr. Knightley have come up with are improper?
4. Who has gotten married? What does Emma think of this match?
5. What decision does Mr. Knightley make when Emma tells him why she cannot marry him immediately?
6. Why does Mr. Knightley continue to dislike Mr. Churchill?
7. What does Harriet decide to destroy after her encounter with the gypsies?
8. What reason does Emma have to not get married right away?
9. Who is Emma afraid will be crushed by the news of Mr. Churchill's engagement?
10. About whom does Emma make a rude comment at Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss social status. What is social status? How does one's place in society affect their friends, their behaviors, and their attitudes? How does Emma see herself in the realm of social status? Is Emma's behavior dictated by her social status? How does the social status of other characters affect the way Emma treats them? Is Emma fair in her treatment of other characters based on their social status? Does Emma's attitude change as the novel progresses? In what way?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss matchmaking. Who is the matchmaker in this novel? How does this person go about matching people together? Do these schemes work? How does this person know who to match and how they feel about one another? Is their more than one matchmaker in the novel? Is so, who is the other matchmaker? How is this person's matchmaking different from the other character's matchmaking? Who is more successful? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Martin? Why does Emma not approve of his desire to marry Harriet? How does Emma treat Mr. Martin? How does Harriet treat Mr. Martin? Why does Emma put a time limit on a visit Harriet makes to the Martin home? Is this appropriate? How do Harriet and Mr. Martin finally get together? How does Emma feel about this match? Why does Emma's feelings change? Should Emma have listened to Harriet's opinion on Mr. Martin despite her personal opinion of Mr. Martin's social status? How does Emma's change of heart reflect her character growth?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)