|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emma believe Mr. Churchill is anxious when he visits her?
2. Why does Harriet announce she never plans to marry?
3. Why is Emma happy about this incident in which Mr. Churchill has been forced to save Harriet?
4. Why does Mr. Woodhouse change his mind about Emma marrying Mr. George Knightley?
5. How does Emma feel when she sees Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Mr. Knightley make when Emma tells him why she cannot marry him immediately?
2. Who has gotten married? What does Emma think of this match?
3. Who disapproves of Emma's engagement to Mr. Knightley?
4. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
5. About whom does Emma make a rude comment at Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill? Why?
6. What does Emma learn when she visits the Bateses after Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill?
7. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
8. What convinces Emma she is not in love with Mr. Churchill? Who does Emma think would be a good match for Mr. Churchill?
9. Why does Mr. Woodhouse change his mind about Emma marrying Mr. Knightley?
10. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss social status. What is social status? How does one's place in society affect their friends, their behaviors, and their attitudes? How does Emma see herself in the realm of social status? Is Emma's behavior dictated by her social status? How does the social status of other characters affect the way Emma treats them? Is Emma fair in her treatment of other characters based on their social status? Does Emma's attitude change as the novel progresses? In what way?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Emma? Why does Emma feel she is superior to the people around her? Why does Emma believe herself to be a gifted matchmaker? What matches has Emma made that were successful? Who is Emma's next target? Why does Emma not allow these people to find love on their own? Why does Emma seek out the company of Harriet? Why does Emma not like Miss Fairfax? Why does Emma never want to marry? Why does Emma change her mind when she finds herself alone with her father? Does fear compel Emma's decision?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss setting. When is this novel set? Where is the novel set? How does the setting impact the development of the plot? How might the novel be different if it were set in modern times? What are the values of the time period in which the novel is set? How do those values compare to modern values? How does the location of the setting affect the characters? Would the novel be different if it had been set in New York City or Tokyo? How?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)