|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What solution does Mr. George Knightley come up with for Emma's reasons for delaying their wedding?
2. Who does Mr. Churchill call Emma's lovely friend in a letter he sends to Mr. and Mrs. Weston?
3. Why does Emma begin regretting her treatment of Miss Fairfax?
4. Who does Mr. Churchill dance the first two dances of the Crown's ball with?
5. What do Emma and Mr. Churchill discover they have in common?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Harriet? How do Harriet and Emma become friends? Who are Harriet's parents? Are their identity important to Harriet? Why or why not? Who does Harriet fall in love with? Why does Harriet go along with Emma's scheme to match Harriet to Mr. Elton? Does Harriet love Mr. Elton? Why does Harriet come to believe no man will ever love her? Whose fault is this? Does Harriet ever find love? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss setting. When is this novel set? Where is the novel set? How does the setting impact the development of the plot? How might the novel be different if it were set in modern times? What are the values of the time period in which the novel is set? How do those values compare to modern values? How does the location of the setting affect the characters? Would the novel be different if it had been set in New York City or Tokyo? How?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Elton? Why does Emma set out to match Mr. Elton with Harriet? Why does Emma believe Mr. Elton is good for Harriet? How does Mr. Elton feel about Emma's attentions? Does Mr. Elton know Emma wants him to fall in love with Harriet? When does Mr. Elton learn this fact? What secret does Mr. Elton reveal to Emma? How does this secret change Emma's aspirations of matching Mr. Elton to Harriet? How does this change affect Harriet?
This section contains 1,828 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)