|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Knightley concerned about Mr. Churchill's interest in Emma?
2. Why is Emma put off with Mr. Churchill at this party?
3. Who is Emma afraid will not approve of Mr. George Knightley's solution to their problem?
4. Why does Emma send Harriet away?
5. What type of robberies are taking place in Highbury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
2. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
3. Who thinks the living arrangements Emma and Mr. Knightley have come up with are improper?
4. About whom does Emma make a rude comment at Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill? Why?
5. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
6. What decision does Mr. Knightley make when Emma tells him why she cannot marry him immediately?
7. How does Miss Fairfax react to Emma's attempts to apologize for her past behavior?
8. Why does Emma decide to throw a dinner party? Why does Emma insist on keeping the guest list down to eight names?
9. Why does Mr. Knightley dislike Mr. Churchill? Does this influence the comments he makes to Emma regarding Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
10. Why does Mr. Woodhouse change his mind about Emma marrying Mr. Knightley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Elton? Where is she from? How does Emma feel about Mrs. Elton? How does Harriet feel about Mrs. Elton? Do the people of the village like Mrs. Elton? How does Mrs. Elton attempt to embarrass Harriet at the Westons' ball? Why? Why does Mrs. Elton constantly express unpleasant things about Emma? Why does Mrs. Elton's opinion matter? Is Mrs. Elton jealous? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is meant by the term old maid? Who is an old maid in this novel? Was this a choice for this character? Why does Emma insist that she will not be an old maid even if she never marries? How does this reflect Emma's opinion of social status? What else does this opinion reveal about Emma's character? Is being an old maid a bad thing? Can an old maid ever get married? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Woodhouse? Why does Mr. Woodhouse worry about the foods he eats and his overall health? Is Mr. Woodhouse mentally disturbed, or are his opinions based on something else? Why does Mr. Woodhouse's son-in-law have no patience for Mr. Woodhouse's quirks? How does this cause tension between the two men? Why does Mr. Woodhouse not approve of Emma's engagement? Why does he change his mind?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)