|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What visitor interrupts Emma's attempts at apologizing to this person she was previously unkind to?
2. Why is Mrs. Elton's picnic at Box Hill delayed?
3. What event does Emma feel should take place before she can marry?
4. Why does Emma believe Mr. Churchill is anxious when he visits her?
5. Why does Emma decide to host a party at Hartfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who thinks the living arrangements Emma and Mr. Knightley have come up with are improper?
2. How does Miss Fairfax react to Emma's attempts to apologize for her past behavior?
3. Who decides to become a governess, making this announcement at Emma's dinner party?
4. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
5. About whom does Emma make a rude comment at Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill? Why?
6. When Emma speaks to Mr. Knightley upon his return what does he tell her?
7. What does Harriet decide to destroy after her encounter with the gypsies?
8. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
9. What does Emma learn when she visits the Bateses after Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill?
10. Why does Emma decide to throw a dinner party? Why does Emma insist on keeping the guest list down to eight names?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss marriage. What is marriage? How is marriage viewed by the novel's characters? Is it important for women to be married in the setting of this novel? Why or why not? Is marriage a career for some women? Is marriage something to aspire to? How does Emma feel about marriage? How does Harriet feel about marriage? How do their views compare? How does Isabella feel about marriage? What kind of example does Isabella set for Emma in regards to marriage? Does Emma aspire to have what Isabella has? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Isabella Knightley? How is Isabella the personification of the Victorian housewife? Does Emma look up to her sister? Does Emma aspire to have the same life Isabella has? Why or why not? Does Isabella make marriage look desirable? Is Isabella a good wife and mother? How does marriage change Isabella's behaviors? How does marriage affect Isabella's relationship with her father? Her sister?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss social status. What is social status? How does one's place in society affect their friends, their behaviors, and their attitudes? How does Emma see herself in the realm of social status? Is Emma's behavior dictated by her social status? How does the social status of other characters affect the way Emma treats them? Is Emma fair in her treatment of other characters based on their social status? Does Emma's attitude change as the novel progresses? In what way?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)