|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Emma feel should take place before she can marry?
2. What type of robberies are taking place in Highbury?
3. Who continues to be unpleasant and make rude comments, even at Emma's wedding?
4. How is the humiliation of Harriet smoothed over?
5. Who is Emma's next target in her matchmaking attempts on Harriet's behalf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
2. Who else becomes engaged? To whom?
3. Who is Emma afraid will be crushed by the news of Mr. Churchill's engagement?
4. About whom does Emma make a rude comment at Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill? Why?
5. How does Miss Fairfax react to Emma's attempts to apologize for her past behavior?
6. Why does Mr. Knightley continue to dislike Mr. Churchill?
7. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
8. Why does Mr. Woodhouse change his mind about Emma marrying Mr. Knightley?
9. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
10. Who saves Harriet from an attack by gypsies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Isabella Knightley? How is Isabella the personification of the Victorian housewife? Does Emma look up to her sister? Does Emma aspire to have the same life Isabella has? Why or why not? Does Isabella make marriage look desirable? Is Isabella a good wife and mother? How does marriage change Isabella's behaviors? How does marriage affect Isabella's relationship with her father? Her sister?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the Coleses? Why are they having a party? Why is the Woodhouses' invitation to the party delayed? How does Emma feel about this delay? How does Mr. Woodhouse feel about the delay? Why does Mr. Woodhouse refuse to attend the party? Why does Emma choose to go? How does this reflect the idea of social status that influences the actions of many characters in this novel? What happens at the party? How are these events significant to the development of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss marriage. What is marriage? How is marriage viewed by the novel's characters? Is it important for women to be married in the setting of this novel? Why or why not? Is marriage a career for some women? Is marriage something to aspire to? How does Emma feel about marriage? How does Harriet feel about marriage? How do their views compare? How does Isabella feel about marriage? What kind of example does Isabella set for Emma in regards to marriage? Does Emma aspire to have what Isabella has? Why or why not?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)