|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds this decision on Miss Fairfax's part appalling?
2. Why are Mr. Churchill's aunt and uncle moving to London?
3. Who does Emma make a harmless, but rude comment about?
4. What causes the number to unavoidably increase to nine?
5. Why do Emma and Mr. Knightley discuss this invitation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
2. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
3. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
4. What does Harriet decide to destroy after her encounter with the gypsies?
5. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
6. Who does Emma learn has passed away?
7. Who saves Harriet from an attack by gypsies?
8. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
9. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
10. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. George Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley spend so much time with Emma? Why does Emma come to believe that Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax? Is he? Why is Emma upset at the idea of this match? What is she afraid will happen if Mr. Knightley marries? Who does Emma try to match Mr. Knightley with at the end of the novel? Why does Mr. Knightley believe Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? What does Mr. Knightley reveal when he learns Emma is not in love with Mr. Churchill?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Isabella Knightley? How is Isabella the personification of the Victorian housewife? Does Emma look up to her sister? Does Emma aspire to have the same life Isabella has? Why or why not? Does Isabella make marriage look desirable? Is Isabella a good wife and mother? How does marriage change Isabella's behaviors? How does marriage affect Isabella's relationship with her father? Her sister?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss setting. When is this novel set? Where is the novel set? How does the setting impact the development of the plot? How might the novel be different if it were set in modern times? What are the values of the time period in which the novel is set? How do those values compare to modern values? How does the location of the setting affect the characters? Would the novel be different if it had been set in New York City or Tokyo? How?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)