|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Emma and Mr. Knightley go to visit in Volume 3, Chapter 18?
2. Who refuses to dance with Harriet in an attempt to humiliate her?
3. Why is Emma happy about this incident in which Mr. Churchill has been forced to save Harriet?
4. Why does Mr. Woodhouse change his mind about Emma marrying Mr. George Knightley?
5. Who is Emma's next target in her matchmaking attempts on Harriet's behalf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who saves Harriet from an attack by gypsies?
2. Why does Emma decide to throw a dinner party? Why does Emma insist on keeping the guest list down to eight names?
3. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
4. Why does Mr. Woodhouse change his mind about Emma marrying Mr. Knightley?
5. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
6. Who does Emma decide to match Harriet with next?
7. About whom does Emma make a rude comment at Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill? Why?
8. What reason does Emma have to not get married right away?
9. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
10. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. John Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? To Mr. George Knightley? Why does Mr. John Knightley not like Mr. Woodhouse? What does Mr. Woodhouse do to annoy Mr. John Knightley? What is Mr. John Knightley's social status? How does his behavior reflect his social status? Is Mr. John Knightley a fair example of people of his social class? Why or why not? How does Mr. John Knightley affect Emma's behaviors and opinions? Does this change through the course of the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss social status. What is social status? How does one's place in society affect their friends, their behaviors, and their attitudes? How does Emma see herself in the realm of social status? Is Emma's behavior dictated by her social status? How does the social status of other characters affect the way Emma treats them? Is Emma fair in her treatment of other characters based on their social status? Does Emma's attitude change as the novel progresses? In what way?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mrs. Weston? What is her relationship to Emma? How does her marriage to Mr. Weston change her relationship to Emma? Why is Emma unhappy with this change? How is Mrs. Weston related to Mr. Churchill? Why does Mrs. Weston think Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? Is she? Why is Mrs. Weston upset when she learns about the secret Mr. Churchill has been hiding? What is this secret? How does it impact Emma?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)