|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of robberies are taking place in Highbury?
2. What is the urgent message Mrs. Weston has for Emma?
3. Why does Emma tell herself she is anxious to see Mr. Churchill?
4. Who is most scandalized by Mr. George Knightley's decision to move into Hartfield?
5. What visitor interrupts Emma's attempts at apologizing to this person she was previously unkind to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Knightley dislike Mr. Churchill? Does this influence the comments he makes to Emma regarding Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
2. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
3. Who does Emma learn has passed away?
4. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
5. When Emma speaks to Mr. Knightley upon his return what does he tell her?
6. Why does Mr. Knightley continue to dislike Mr. Churchill?
7. What does Emma learn when she visits the Bateses after Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill?
8. How does Miss Fairfax react to Emma's attempts to apologize for her past behavior?
9. Who else becomes engaged? To whom?
10. Who decides to become a governess, making this announcement at Emma's dinner party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is meant by the term old maid? Who is an old maid in this novel? Was this a choice for this character? Why does Emma insist that she will not be an old maid even if she never marries? How does this reflect Emma's opinion of social status? What else does this opinion reveal about Emma's character? Is being an old maid a bad thing? Can an old maid ever get married? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss friendship. Who is Emma's best friend? Why does Emma feel as though she has lost her best friend? Has she? Why does Emma befriend Harriet? Why does Emma shun Miss Fairfax? Is Emma a true friend to Harriet? Why or why not? How does Emma hurt Harriet? Does she do this intentionally? Why does Emma eventually regret her treatment of Miss Fairfax? How does Emma go about repairing this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss secrets. Who has a secret in this novel? Why do these characters keep secrets? How do these secrets impact the people around them? How many secrets are revealed to Emma in the course of the novel? How does each of these secrets impact Emma's actions and feelings? How do secrets impact Harriet? Mr. Knightley? Mr. Elton? Is keeping secrets a bad thing? Is there ever a good reason to keep a secret? Explain.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)