|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. John Knightley say that causes Emma to be amused?
2. How does Emma feel when she sees Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
3. Who does Emma deduce Harriet is in love with?
4. Who does Mr. Churchill dance the first two dances of the Crown's ball with?
5. Who befriends Miss Fairfax in the beginning of Volume 2, Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who disapproves of Emma's engagement to Mr. Knightley?
2. Who decides to become a governess, making this announcement at Emma's dinner party?
3. Why does Emma decide to throw a dinner party? Why does Emma insist on keeping the guest list down to eight names?
4. When Emma speaks to Mr. Knightley upon his return what does he tell her?
5. Who saves Harriet from an attack by gypsies?
6. What convinces Emma she is not in love with Mr. Churchill? Who does Emma think would be a good match for Mr. Churchill?
7. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
8. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
9. Who is Emma afraid will be crushed by the news of Mr. Churchill's engagement?
10. Who does Emma learn has passed away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss friendship. Who is Emma's best friend? Why does Emma feel as though she has lost her best friend? Has she? Why does Emma befriend Harriet? Why does Emma shun Miss Fairfax? Is Emma a true friend to Harriet? Why or why not? How does Emma hurt Harriet? Does she do this intentionally? Why does Emma eventually regret her treatment of Miss Fairfax? How does Emma go about repairing this relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Harriet? How do Harriet and Emma become friends? Who are Harriet's parents? Are their identity important to Harriet? Why or why not? Who does Harriet fall in love with? Why does Harriet go along with Emma's scheme to match Harriet to Mr. Elton? Does Harriet love Mr. Elton? Why does Harriet come to believe no man will ever love her? Whose fault is this? Does Harriet ever find love? How?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Elton? Why does Emma set out to match Mr. Elton with Harriet? Why does Emma believe Mr. Elton is good for Harriet? How does Mr. Elton feel about Emma's attentions? Does Mr. Elton know Emma wants him to fall in love with Harriet? When does Mr. Elton learn this fact? What secret does Mr. Elton reveal to Emma? How does this secret change Emma's aspirations of matching Mr. Elton to Harriet? How does this change affect Harriet?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)