|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Elton constantly compare Highbury to?
2. What is the result of this meeting between Harriet and a visitor from Highbury?
3. What type of robberies are taking place in Highbury?
4. Who is most scandalized by Mr. George Knightley's decision to move into Hartfield?
5. How does Emma react to the news?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
2. Why does Emma decide to throw a dinner party? Why does Emma insist on keeping the guest list down to eight names?
3. Who does Emma learn has passed away?
4. How does Miss Fairfax react to Emma's attempts to apologize for her past behavior?
5. When Emma speaks to Mr. Knightley upon his return what does he tell her?
6. What decision does Mr. Knightley make when Emma tells him why she cannot marry him immediately?
7. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
8. What convinces Emma she is not in love with Mr. Churchill? Who does Emma think would be a good match for Mr. Churchill?
9. Why does Mr. Knightley dislike Mr. Churchill? Does this influence the comments he makes to Emma regarding Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
10. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Emma? Why does Emma feel she is superior to the people around her? Why does Emma believe herself to be a gifted matchmaker? What matches has Emma made that were successful? Who is Emma's next target? Why does Emma not allow these people to find love on their own? Why does Emma seek out the company of Harriet? Why does Emma not like Miss Fairfax? Why does Emma never want to marry? Why does Emma change her mind when she finds herself alone with her father? Does fear compel Emma's decision?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Isabella Knightley? How is Isabella the personification of the Victorian housewife? Does Emma look up to her sister? Does Emma aspire to have the same life Isabella has? Why or why not? Does Isabella make marriage look desirable? Is Isabella a good wife and mother? How does marriage change Isabella's behaviors? How does marriage affect Isabella's relationship with her father? Her sister?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss matchmaking. Who is the matchmaker in this novel? How does this person go about matching people together? Do these schemes work? How does this person know who to match and how they feel about one another? Is their more than one matchmaker in the novel? Is so, who is the other matchmaker? How is this person's matchmaking different from the other character's matchmaking? Who is more successful? Why?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)