|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation has Miss Fairfax decided to adopt?
2. Who is most scandalized by Mr. George Knightley's decision to move into Hartfield?
3. Who does Emma reach out to, and is rebuffed, when she learns of this person's illness?
4. What game does Emma play at the picnic at Box Hill?
5. What does Mr. George Knightley confess to Emma?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
2. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
3. Why does Mr. Knightley dislike Mr. Churchill? Does this influence the comments he makes to Emma regarding Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
4. Who does Emma learn has passed away?
5. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
6. What does Emma learn when she visits the Bateses after Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill?
7. What convinces Emma she is not in love with Mr. Churchill? Who does Emma think would be a good match for Mr. Churchill?
8. Why does Mr. Knightley continue to dislike Mr. Churchill?
9. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
10. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the Coleses? Why are they having a party? Why is the Woodhouses' invitation to the party delayed? How does Emma feel about this delay? How does Mr. Woodhouse feel about the delay? Why does Mr. Woodhouse refuse to attend the party? Why does Emma choose to go? How does this reflect the idea of social status that influences the actions of many characters in this novel? What happens at the party? How are these events significant to the development of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Elton? Where is she from? How does Emma feel about Mrs. Elton? How does Harriet feel about Mrs. Elton? Do the people of the village like Mrs. Elton? How does Mrs. Elton attempt to embarrass Harriet at the Westons' ball? Why? Why does Mrs. Elton constantly express unpleasant things about Emma? Why does Mrs. Elton's opinion matter? Is Mrs. Elton jealous? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Elton? Why does Emma set out to match Mr. Elton with Harriet? Why does Emma believe Mr. Elton is good for Harriet? How does Mr. Elton feel about Emma's attentions? Does Mr. Elton know Emma wants him to fall in love with Harriet? When does Mr. Elton learn this fact? What secret does Mr. Elton reveal to Emma? How does this secret change Emma's aspirations of matching Mr. Elton to Harriet? How does this change affect Harriet?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)