|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Emma to suspect she might be in love with Mr. Churchill?
2. Why is Emma happy about this incident in which Mr. Churchill has been forced to save Harriet?
3. Why does Emma believe she cannot move to Donwell Abbey after she marries Mr. George Knightley?
4. Who does Emma decide to go visit in order to make an attempt at apologizing for past rudeness?
5. Who is Emma afraid will not approve of Mr. George Knightley's solution to their problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. About whom does Emma make a rude comment at Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill? Why?
2. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
3. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
4. Who does Emma decide to match Harriet with next?
5. Who thinks the living arrangements Emma and Mr. Knightley have come up with are improper?
6. Why does Emma decide to throw a dinner party? Why does Emma insist on keeping the guest list down to eight names?
7. Why does Mr. Knightley dislike Mr. Churchill? Does this influence the comments he makes to Emma regarding Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
8. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
9. Who has gotten married? What does Emma think of this match?
10. What decision does Mr. Knightley make when Emma tells him why she cannot marry him immediately?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. Elton? Why does Emma set out to match Mr. Elton with Harriet? Why does Emma believe Mr. Elton is good for Harriet? How does Mr. Elton feel about Emma's attentions? Does Mr. Elton know Emma wants him to fall in love with Harriet? When does Mr. Elton learn this fact? What secret does Mr. Elton reveal to Emma? How does this secret change Emma's aspirations of matching Mr. Elton to Harriet? How does this change affect Harriet?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Elton? Where is she from? How does Emma feel about Mrs. Elton? How does Harriet feel about Mrs. Elton? Do the people of the village like Mrs. Elton? How does Mrs. Elton attempt to embarrass Harriet at the Westons' ball? Why? Why does Mrs. Elton constantly express unpleasant things about Emma? Why does Mrs. Elton's opinion matter? Is Mrs. Elton jealous? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss setting. When is this novel set? Where is the novel set? How does the setting impact the development of the plot? How might the novel be different if it were set in modern times? What are the values of the time period in which the novel is set? How do those values compare to modern values? How does the location of the setting affect the characters? Would the novel be different if it had been set in New York City or Tokyo? How?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)