|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What invitation do Emma and Mr. Knightley discuss as they walk in the garden at Hartfield?
2. What does Harriet think of the newly married couple?
3. What does Mr. John Knightley say that causes Emma to be amused?
4. What game does Emma play with Mr. Churchill after tea at Hartfield?
5. What does Mr. George Knightley confess to Emma?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Emma learn has passed away?
2. Who is Emma afraid will be crushed by the news of Mr. Churchill's engagement?
3. Who decides to become a governess, making this announcement at Emma's dinner party?
4. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
5. Who does Emma decide to match Harriet with next?
6. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
7. What does Harriet decide to destroy after her encounter with the gypsies?
8. Why does Mr. Knightley continue to dislike Mr. Churchill?
9. What convinces Emma she is not in love with Mr. Churchill? Who does Emma think would be a good match for Mr. Churchill?
10. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. George Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley spend so much time with Emma? Why does Emma come to believe that Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax? Is he? Why is Emma upset at the idea of this match? What is she afraid will happen if Mr. Knightley marries? Who does Emma try to match Mr. Knightley with at the end of the novel? Why does Mr. Knightley believe Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? What does Mr. Knightley reveal when he learns Emma is not in love with Mr. Churchill?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. Elton? Why does Emma set out to match Mr. Elton with Harriet? Why does Emma believe Mr. Elton is good for Harriet? How does Mr. Elton feel about Emma's attentions? Does Mr. Elton know Emma wants him to fall in love with Harriet? When does Mr. Elton learn this fact? What secret does Mr. Elton reveal to Emma? How does this secret change Emma's aspirations of matching Mr. Elton to Harriet? How does this change affect Harriet?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Woodhouse? Why does Mr. Woodhouse worry about the foods he eats and his overall health? Is Mr. Woodhouse mentally disturbed, or are his opinions based on something else? Why does Mr. Woodhouse's son-in-law have no patience for Mr. Woodhouse's quirks? How does this cause tension between the two men? Why does Mr. Woodhouse not approve of Emma's engagement? Why does he change his mind?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)