|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Emma a riddle?
2. Who is unable to attend due to a sore throat?
3. Who asks Emma for the privilege of the first two dances at this ball?
4. What is Emma's definition of an old maid?
5. Who has recently left the Woodhouse home in order to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Churchill cancel his plans to visit the Westons? Why is Mrs. Weston upset by this?
2. Whose engagement has the entire village talking?
3. Why does Mr. Churchill abruptly leave Highbury? How does this make Emma feel?
4. Who does Emma believe the anonymous benefactor of a pianoforte for Miss Fairfax is?
5. Who objects to Emma's friendship with Harriet?
6. Who does Emma want to pair with her neighbor, Mr. Elton, in a matchmaking attempt?
7. Why do Mr. John Knightley and Mr. Woodhouse fight over dinner?
8. How does Harriet react when Emma tells her that Mr. Elton declared his love for Emma? Why?
9. Why does Harriet decline Mr. Martin's proposal?
10. Who does Harriet run into in town and later invites Harriet to have tea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Weston? What is her relationship to Emma? How does her marriage to Mr. Weston change her relationship to Emma? Why is Emma unhappy with this change? How is Mrs. Weston related to Mr. Churchill? Why does Mrs. Weston think Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? Is she? Why is Mrs. Weston upset when she learns about the secret Mr. Churchill has been hiding? What is this secret? How does it impact Emma?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. John Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? To Mr. George Knightley? Why does Mr. John Knightley not like Mr. Woodhouse? What does Mr. Woodhouse do to annoy Mr. John Knightley? What is Mr. John Knightley's social status? How does his behavior reflect his social status? Is Mr. John Knightley a fair example of people of his social class? Why or why not? How does Mr. John Knightley affect Emma's behaviors and opinions? Does this change through the course of the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Emma? Why does Emma feel she is superior to the people around her? Why does Emma believe herself to be a gifted matchmaker? What matches has Emma made that were successful? Who is Emma's next target? Why does Emma not allow these people to find love on their own? Why does Emma seek out the company of Harriet? Why does Emma not like Miss Fairfax? Why does Emma never want to marry? Why does Emma change her mind when she finds herself alone with her father? Does fear compel Emma's decision?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)