|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is all the gossip centering around this person about?
2. Where is this ball to be held?
3. Who defends Mr. Churchill's actions in regards to his recent inaction?
4. Who is having a party but fails to send the Woodhouses an invitation along with ones sent to the other families in Highbury?
5. How does Emma meet Harriet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Churchill cancel his plans to visit the Westons? Why is Mrs. Weston upset by this?
2. What did Mr. Knightley give the Bateses that causes Emma's curiosity to be aroused?
3. Who does Harriet run into in town and later invites Harriet to have tea?
4. Who is the intended recipient of the riddle Mr. Elton leaves at Emma's home?
5. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
6. What happens when Emma maneuvers to leave Mr. Elton and Harriet alone together?
7. What caused Mr. Weston's first marriage to be an unhappy one?
8. What is Emma's initial reaction to Mr. Churchill?
9. What does Mr. Elton do that causes Emma to change her mind about his manners?
10. Why do Mr. John Knightley and Mr. Woodhouse fight over dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Elton? Where is she from? How does Emma feel about Mrs. Elton? How does Harriet feel about Mrs. Elton? Do the people of the village like Mrs. Elton? How does Mrs. Elton attempt to embarrass Harriet at the Westons' ball? Why? Why does Mrs. Elton constantly express unpleasant things about Emma? Why does Mrs. Elton's opinion matter? Is Mrs. Elton jealous? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? Which characters in this novel show character growth? What has contributed to this character growth? Is character growth a positive change for these characters? Explain. How might the plot be affected if this growth had not occurred? Who shows the most growth? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss setting. When is this novel set? Where is the novel set? How does the setting impact the development of the plot? How might the novel be different if it were set in modern times? What are the values of the time period in which the novel is set? How do those values compare to modern values? How does the location of the setting affect the characters? Would the novel be different if it had been set in New York City or Tokyo? How?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)