|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is unable to attend due to a sore throat?
2. Who believes this choice of vacation location was all wrong?
3. What time limit does Emma place on Harriet's visit to Abbey Mill?
4. Who claims they will never get married?
5. How does Emma feel about Mr. Churchill's departure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Churchill cancel his plans to visit the Westons? Why is Mrs. Weston upset by this?
2. Who does Emma want to pair with her neighbor, Mr. Elton, in a matchmaking attempt?
3. How does Harriet react when Emma tells her that Mr. Elton declared his love for Emma? Why?
4. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
5. What change has occurred in the Woodhouse home recently?
6. Who objects to Emma's friendship with Harriet?
7. Who is the intended recipient of the riddle Mr. Elton leaves at Emma's home?
8. Why does Harriet decline Mr. Martin's proposal?
9. What happens when Emma maneuvers to leave Mr. Elton and Harriet alone together?
10. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss friendship. Who is Emma's best friend? Why does Emma feel as though she has lost her best friend? Has she? Why does Emma befriend Harriet? Why does Emma shun Miss Fairfax? Is Emma a true friend to Harriet? Why or why not? How does Emma hurt Harriet? Does she do this intentionally? Why does Emma eventually regret her treatment of Miss Fairfax? How does Emma go about repairing this relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Emma? Why does Emma feel she is superior to the people around her? Why does Emma believe herself to be a gifted matchmaker? What matches has Emma made that were successful? Who is Emma's next target? Why does Emma not allow these people to find love on their own? Why does Emma seek out the company of Harriet? Why does Emma not like Miss Fairfax? Why does Emma never want to marry? Why does Emma change her mind when she finds herself alone with her father? Does fear compel Emma's decision?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss marriage. What is marriage? How is marriage viewed by the novel's characters? Is it important for women to be married in the setting of this novel? Why or why not? Is marriage a career for some women? Is marriage something to aspire to? How does Emma feel about marriage? How does Harriet feel about marriage? How do their views compare? How does Isabella feel about marriage? What kind of example does Isabella set for Emma in regards to marriage? Does Emma aspire to have what Isabella has? Why or why not?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)