|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is having a party but fails to send the Woodhouses an invitation along with ones sent to the other families in Highbury?
2. Who does Emma believe the riddle was meant for?
3. What news do Emma and Harriet receive that causes more excitement in Highbury?
4. Who becomes a frequent visitor at Highbury during the creation of this art project?
5. What reason is given for the invitation failing to arrive promptly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Churchill do that causes Emma to rethink her opinion of him? How does it affect Mr. Knightley's opinion of Mr. Churchill?
2. Who does Emma want to pair with her neighbor, Mr. Elton, in a matchmaking attempt?
3. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
4. How does Mr. Elton react when he learns Harriet cannot attend a party due to a sore throat?
5. What does Emma decide to do in order to bring Mr. Elton and Harriet together?
6. Why does Mr. Churchill abruptly leave Highbury? How does this make Emma feel?
7. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
8. Who does Emma believe the anonymous benefactor of a pianoforte for Miss Fairfax is?
9. Who is the intended recipient of the riddle Mr. Elton leaves at Emma's home?
10. Why does Mr. Churchill cancel his plans to visit the Westons? Why is Mrs. Weston upset by this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. Martin? Why does Emma not approve of his desire to marry Harriet? How does Emma treat Mr. Martin? How does Harriet treat Mr. Martin? Why does Emma put a time limit on a visit Harriet makes to the Martin home? Is this appropriate? How do Harriet and Mr. Martin finally get together? How does Emma feel about this match? Why does Emma's feelings change? Should Emma have listened to Harriet's opinion on Mr. Martin despite her personal opinion of Mr. Martin's social status? How does Emma's change of heart reflect her character growth?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? Which characters in this novel show character growth? What has contributed to this character growth? Is character growth a positive change for these characters? Explain. How might the plot be affected if this growth had not occurred? Who shows the most growth? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Emma? Why does Emma feel she is superior to the people around her? Why does Emma believe herself to be a gifted matchmaker? What matches has Emma made that were successful? Who is Emma's next target? Why does Emma not allow these people to find love on their own? Why does Emma seek out the company of Harriet? Why does Emma not like Miss Fairfax? Why does Emma never want to marry? Why does Emma change her mind when she finds herself alone with her father? Does fear compel Emma's decision?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)