|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Woodhouse request that Emma not dabble in matchmaking any longer?
2. Where does Mrs. Weston repeatedly attempt to persuade Emma to go?
3. What news do Emma and Harriet receive that causes more excitement in Highbury?
4. Who else knows about the letter?
5. What does Emma believe the theme of the riddle is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Emma's initial reaction to Mr. Churchill?
2. What visitor to the Bates household does Emma not want to see?
3. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
4. How does Harriet react when Emma tells her that Mr. Elton declared his love for Emma? Why?
5. What causes a delay in the delivery of an invitation to the Coles' party for the Woodhouses?
6. Who objects to Emma's friendship with Harriet?
7. Whose engagement has the entire village talking?
8. Who does Harriet run into in town and later invites Harriet to have tea?
9. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
10. Who asks Emma to save him the first two dances at the ball the Westons are planning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? Which characters in this novel show character growth? What has contributed to this character growth? Is character growth a positive change for these characters? Explain. How might the plot be affected if this growth had not occurred? Who shows the most growth? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. George Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley spend so much time with Emma? Why does Emma come to believe that Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax? Is he? Why is Emma upset at the idea of this match? What is she afraid will happen if Mr. Knightley marries? Who does Emma try to match Mr. Knightley with at the end of the novel? Why does Mr. Knightley believe Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? What does Mr. Knightley reveal when he learns Emma is not in love with Mr. Churchill?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss secrets. Who has a secret in this novel? Why do these characters keep secrets? How do these secrets impact the people around them? How many secrets are revealed to Emma in the course of the novel? How does each of these secrets impact Emma's actions and feelings? How do secrets impact Harriet? Mr. Knightley? Mr. Elton? Is keeping secrets a bad thing? Is there ever a good reason to keep a secret? Explain.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)