Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose arrival in Highbury has been delayed?
2. Who is kept from Mr. Woodhouse to prevent annoying him?
3. Who invites Harriet to tea at their home, causing her to seek advice again?
4. Who does not think highly of Mr. Churchill because of his recent inaction?
5. Who gives Emma a riddle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Elton react when he learns Harriet cannot attend a party due to a sore throat?
2. What long awaited visitor finally arrives in Highbury?
3. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
4. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
5. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
6. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
7. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
8. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
9. Who disapproves of Emma's engagement to Mr. Knightley?
10. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
Who is Mr. John Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? To Mr. George Knightley? Why does Mr. John Knightley not like Mr. Woodhouse? What does Mr. Woodhouse do to annoy Mr. John Knightley? What is Mr. John Knightley's social status? How does his behavior reflect his social status? Is Mr. John Knightley a fair example of people of his social class? Why or why not? How does Mr. John Knightley affect Emma's behaviors and opinions? Does this change through the course of the novel? Why or why not?
Discuss marriage. What is marriage? How is marriage viewed by the novel's characters? Is it important for women to be married in the setting of this novel? Why or why not? Is marriage a career for some women? Is marriage something to aspire to? How does Emma feel about marriage? How does Harriet feel about marriage? How do their views compare? How does Isabella feel about marriage? What kind of example does Isabella set for Emma in regards to marriage? Does Emma aspire to have what Isabella has? Why or why not?
What is meant by the term old maid? Who is an old maid in this novel? Was this a choice for this character? Why does Emma insist that she will not be an old maid even if she never marries? How does this reflect Emma's opinion of social status? What else does this opinion reveal about Emma's character? Is being an old maid a bad thing? Can an old maid ever get married? Why or why not?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)