|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is kept from Mr. Woodhouse to prevent annoying him?
2. Who offers Harriet advice about the question Mr. Martin asks?
3. What complaint does Mr. Woodhouse have regarding the food served at a dinner party at Hartfield?
4. What ends the evening at Randalls prematurely?
5. Who would prefer to avoid all talk about Miss Fairfax?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Churchill abruptly leave Highbury? How does this make Emma feel?
2. What does Mr. Elton do that causes Emma to change her mind about his manners?
3. Why does Mr. Churchill cancel his plans to visit the Westons? Why is Mrs. Weston upset by this?
4. Who does Emma believe the anonymous benefactor of a pianoforte for Miss Fairfax is?
5. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
6. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
7. Whose engagement has the entire village talking?
8. What visitor to the Bates household does Emma not want to see?
9. Who does Harriet want to be matched with?
10. Who asks Emma to save him the first two dances at the ball the Westons are planning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is meant by the term old maid? Who is an old maid in this novel? Was this a choice for this character? Why does Emma insist that she will not be an old maid even if she never marries? How does this reflect Emma's opinion of social status? What else does this opinion reveal about Emma's character? Is being an old maid a bad thing? Can an old maid ever get married? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? Which characters in this novel show character growth? What has contributed to this character growth? Is character growth a positive change for these characters? Explain. How might the plot be affected if this growth had not occurred? Who shows the most growth? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Woodhouse? Why does Mr. Woodhouse worry about the foods he eats and his overall health? Is Mr. Woodhouse mentally disturbed, or are his opinions based on something else? Why does Mr. Woodhouse's son-in-law have no patience for Mr. Woodhouse's quirks? How does this cause tension between the two men? Why does Mr. Woodhouse not approve of Emma's engagement? Why does he change his mind?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)