|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is this ball to be held?
2. Who decides to throw a ball to honor Mr. Churchill?
3. Who does Emma believe the donor of the pianoforte is?
4. Who does Mr. Churchill claim he is glad he did not dance with because her dancing is not as good as Emma's?
5. What is Emma's reaction to the implication that Mr. George Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has gotten married? What does Emma think of this match?
2. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
3. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
4. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
5. How does Mr. Elton react when he learns Harriet cannot attend a party due to a sore throat?
6. Who asks Emma to save him the first two dances at the ball the Westons are planning?
7. Who does Emma decide to match Harriet with next?
8. What does Emma learn when she visits the Bateses after Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill?
9. Who does Harriet run into in town and later invites Harriet to have tea?
10. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. Elton? Why does Emma set out to match Mr. Elton with Harriet? Why does Emma believe Mr. Elton is good for Harriet? How does Mr. Elton feel about Emma's attentions? Does Mr. Elton know Emma wants him to fall in love with Harriet? When does Mr. Elton learn this fact? What secret does Mr. Elton reveal to Emma? How does this secret change Emma's aspirations of matching Mr. Elton to Harriet? How does this change affect Harriet?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss setting. When is this novel set? Where is the novel set? How does the setting impact the development of the plot? How might the novel be different if it were set in modern times? What are the values of the time period in which the novel is set? How do those values compare to modern values? How does the location of the setting affect the characters? Would the novel be different if it had been set in New York City or Tokyo? How?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Churchill? Who is he related to? Why does Mr. Churchill not have his father's name? What are the circumstances of Mr. Churchill's birth? Is this unusual given the setting of the novel? How does Emma feel about Mr. Churchill? How does Mr. Churchill feel about Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley not like Mr. Churchill? Is his opinion important to Emma? What secret does Mr. Churchill harbor throughout the novel? Why does he keep this secret? How does the secret impact the people of the village when they learn the truth? Why?
This section contains 2,320 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)