|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emma insist on escorting Harriet to Ford's to buy fabric?
2. How is Mr. George Knightley related to the Woodhouse family?
3. What is Emma's reaction to the implication that Mr. George Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax?
4. Who disapproves of Emma's friendship with Harriet?
5. What does Emma do to attempt to give Harriet and Mr. Elton time alone together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Mr. John Knightley and Mr. Woodhouse fight over dinner?
2. What causes a delay in the delivery of an invitation to the Coles' party for the Woodhouses?
3. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
4. What caused Mr. Weston's first marriage to be an unhappy one?
5. Who is the intended recipient of the riddle Mr. Elton leaves at Emma's home?
6. What did Mr. Knightley give the Bateses that causes Emma's curiosity to be aroused?
7. What is Mr. John Knightley's relationship to Emma? To Mr. Knightley?
8. Who does Emma believe the anonymous benefactor of a pianoforte for Miss Fairfax is?
9. What visitor to the Bates household does Emma not want to see?
10. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Emma? Why does Emma feel she is superior to the people around her? Why does Emma believe herself to be a gifted matchmaker? What matches has Emma made that were successful? Who is Emma's next target? Why does Emma not allow these people to find love on their own? Why does Emma seek out the company of Harriet? Why does Emma not like Miss Fairfax? Why does Emma never want to marry? Why does Emma change her mind when she finds herself alone with her father? Does fear compel Emma's decision?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. George Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley spend so much time with Emma? Why does Emma come to believe that Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax? Is he? Why is Emma upset at the idea of this match? What is she afraid will happen if Mr. Knightley marries? Who does Emma try to match Mr. Knightley with at the end of the novel? Why does Mr. Knightley believe Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? What does Mr. Knightley reveal when he learns Emma is not in love with Mr. Churchill?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss marriage. What is marriage? How is marriage viewed by the novel's characters? Is it important for women to be married in the setting of this novel? Why or why not? Is marriage a career for some women? Is marriage something to aspire to? How does Emma feel about marriage? How does Harriet feel about marriage? How do their views compare? How does Isabella feel about marriage? What kind of example does Isabella set for Emma in regards to marriage? Does Emma aspire to have what Isabella has? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)