|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes the finished art project to London for framing?
2. Who does Emma believe the riddle was meant for?
3. Why does Emma insist on escorting Harriet to Ford's to buy fabric?
4. Who becomes the center of gossip in Highbury?
5. Whose advice regarding his children begins to annoy Mr. John Knightley?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
2. Who does Emma believe the anonymous benefactor of a pianoforte for Miss Fairfax is?
3. Who is the intended recipient of the riddle Mr. Elton leaves at Emma's home?
4. Who does Harriet want to be matched with?
5. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
6. What caused Mr. Weston's first marriage to be an unhappy one?
7. What does Mr. Churchill do that causes Emma to rethink her opinion of him? How does it affect Mr. Knightley's opinion of Mr. Churchill?
8. Why do Mr. John Knightley and Mr. Woodhouse fight over dinner?
9. How does Mr. Elton react when he learns Harriet cannot attend a party due to a sore throat?
10. Why does Harriet decline Mr. Martin's proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. Woodhouse? Why does Mr. Woodhouse worry about the foods he eats and his overall health? Is Mr. Woodhouse mentally disturbed, or are his opinions based on something else? Why does Mr. Woodhouse's son-in-law have no patience for Mr. Woodhouse's quirks? How does this cause tension between the two men? Why does Mr. Woodhouse not approve of Emma's engagement? Why does he change his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. John Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? To Mr. George Knightley? Why does Mr. John Knightley not like Mr. Woodhouse? What does Mr. Woodhouse do to annoy Mr. John Knightley? What is Mr. John Knightley's social status? How does his behavior reflect his social status? Is Mr. John Knightley a fair example of people of his social class? Why or why not? How does Mr. John Knightley affect Emma's behaviors and opinions? Does this change through the course of the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Harriet? How do Harriet and Emma become friends? Who are Harriet's parents? Are their identity important to Harriet? Why or why not? Who does Harriet fall in love with? Why does Harriet go along with Emma's scheme to match Harriet to Mr. Elton? Does Harriet love Mr. Elton? Why does Harriet come to believe no man will ever love her? Whose fault is this? Does Harriet ever find love? How?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)