|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question is asked of Harriet in a letter she received from Mr. Martin?
2. Who has recently left the Woodhouse home in order to marry?
3. What is Emma's definition of an old maid?
4. Who asks Emma for the privilege of the first two dances at this ball?
5. What is all the gossip centering around this person about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Emma want to pair with her neighbor, Mr. Elton, in a matchmaking attempt?
2. What change has occurred in the Woodhouse home recently?
3. What long awaited visitor finally arrives in Highbury?
4. What does Mr. Elton do that causes Emma to change her mind about his manners?
5. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
6. Who does Harriet run into in town and later invites Harriet to have tea?
7. Who does Harriet want to be matched with?
8. What caused Mr. Weston's first marriage to be an unhappy one?
9. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
10. Whose engagement has the entire village talking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. John Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? To Mr. George Knightley? Why does Mr. John Knightley not like Mr. Woodhouse? What does Mr. Woodhouse do to annoy Mr. John Knightley? What is Mr. John Knightley's social status? How does his behavior reflect his social status? Is Mr. John Knightley a fair example of people of his social class? Why or why not? How does Mr. John Knightley affect Emma's behaviors and opinions? Does this change through the course of the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. George Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley spend so much time with Emma? Why does Emma come to believe that Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax? Is he? Why is Emma upset at the idea of this match? What is she afraid will happen if Mr. Knightley marries? Who does Emma try to match Mr. Knightley with at the end of the novel? Why does Mr. Knightley believe Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? What does Mr. Knightley reveal when he learns Emma is not in love with Mr. Churchill?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? Which characters in this novel show character growth? What has contributed to this character growth? Is character growth a positive change for these characters? Explain. How might the plot be affected if this growth had not occurred? Who shows the most growth? Why?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)