|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose arrival in Highbury has been delayed?
2. Who is kept from Mr. Woodhouse to prevent annoying him?
3. Who invites Harriet to tea at their home, causing her to seek advice again?
4. Who does not think highly of Mr. Churchill because of his recent inaction?
5. Who gives Emma a riddle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Elton react when he learns Harriet cannot attend a party due to a sore throat?
2. What long awaited visitor finally arrives in Highbury?
3. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
4. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
5. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
6. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
7. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
8. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
9. Who disapproves of Emma's engagement to Mr. Knightley?
10. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Harriet? How do Harriet and Emma become friends? Who are Harriet's parents? Are their identity important to Harriet? Why or why not? Who does Harriet fall in love with? Why does Harriet go along with Emma's scheme to match Harriet to Mr. Elton? Does Harriet love Mr. Elton? Why does Harriet come to believe no man will ever love her? Whose fault is this? Does Harriet ever find love? How?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Isabella Knightley? How is Isabella the personification of the Victorian housewife? Does Emma look up to her sister? Does Emma aspire to have the same life Isabella has? Why or why not? Does Isabella make marriage look desirable? Is Isabella a good wife and mother? How does marriage change Isabella's behaviors? How does marriage affect Isabella's relationship with her father? Her sister?
Essay Topic 3
What is meant by the term old maid? Who is an old maid in this novel? Was this a choice for this character? Why does Emma insist that she will not be an old maid even if she never marries? How does this reflect Emma's opinion of social status? What else does this opinion reveal about Emma's character? Is being an old maid a bad thing? Can an old maid ever get married? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,173 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)