|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invites Harriet to tea at their home, causing her to seek advice again?
2. Who is Emma concerned about telling this confession to?
3. How is Mr. George Knightley related to the Woodhouse family?
4. Who does Emma believe the donor of the pianoforte is?
5. What does Emma vow to do for Harriet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
2. Who does Emma decide to match Harriet with next?
3. What is Emma's initial reaction to Mr. Churchill?
4. What happens when Emma maneuvers to leave Mr. Elton and Harriet alone together?
5. What does Emma decide to do in order to bring Mr. Elton and Harriet together?
6. What does Emma learn when she visits the Bateses after Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill?
7. What causes a delay in the delivery of an invitation to the Coles' party for the Woodhouses?
8. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
9. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
10. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss friendship. Who is Emma's best friend? Why does Emma feel as though she has lost her best friend? Has she? Why does Emma befriend Harriet? Why does Emma shun Miss Fairfax? Is Emma a true friend to Harriet? Why or why not? How does Emma hurt Harriet? Does she do this intentionally? Why does Emma eventually regret her treatment of Miss Fairfax? How does Emma go about repairing this relationship?
Essay Topic 2
What is meant by the term old maid? Who is an old maid in this novel? Was this a choice for this character? Why does Emma insist that she will not be an old maid even if she never marries? How does this reflect Emma's opinion of social status? What else does this opinion reveal about Emma's character? Is being an old maid a bad thing? Can an old maid ever get married? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? Which characters in this novel show character growth? What has contributed to this character growth? Is character growth a positive change for these characters? Explain. How might the plot be affected if this growth had not occurred? Who shows the most growth? Why?
This section contains 2,334 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)