|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is all the gossip centering around this person about?
2. What question is asked of Harriet in a letter she received from Mr. Martin?
3. Whose engagement is announced in Volume 2, Chapter 3?
4. Who asks Emma for the privilege of the first two dances at this ball?
5. Why does Emma insist on escorting Harriet to Ford's to buy fabric?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who objects to Emma's friendship with Harriet?
2. What visitor to the Bates household does Emma not want to see?
3. What does Mr. Churchill do that causes Emma to rethink her opinion of him? How does it affect Mr. Knightley's opinion of Mr. Churchill?
4. How does Mr. Elton react when he learns Harriet cannot attend a party due to a sore throat?
5. Who is the intended recipient of the riddle Mr. Elton leaves at Emma's home?
6. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
7. What long awaited visitor finally arrives in Highbury?
8. Why does Mr. Churchill cancel his plans to visit the Westons? Why is Mrs. Weston upset by this?
9. What is Mr. John Knightley's relationship to Emma? To Mr. Knightley?
10. Why does Harriet decline Mr. Martin's proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Weston? What is her relationship to Emma? How does her marriage to Mr. Weston change her relationship to Emma? Why is Emma unhappy with this change? How is Mrs. Weston related to Mr. Churchill? Why does Mrs. Weston think Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? Is she? Why is Mrs. Weston upset when she learns about the secret Mr. Churchill has been hiding? What is this secret? How does it impact Emma?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. Martin? Why does Emma not approve of his desire to marry Harriet? How does Emma treat Mr. Martin? How does Harriet treat Mr. Martin? Why does Emma put a time limit on a visit Harriet makes to the Martin home? Is this appropriate? How do Harriet and Mr. Martin finally get together? How does Emma feel about this match? Why does Emma's feelings change? Should Emma have listened to Harriet's opinion on Mr. Martin despite her personal opinion of Mr. Martin's social status? How does Emma's change of heart reflect her character growth?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss social status. What is social status? How does one's place in society affect their friends, their behaviors, and their attitudes? How does Emma see herself in the realm of social status? Is Emma's behavior dictated by her social status? How does the social status of other characters affect the way Emma treats them? Is Emma fair in her treatment of other characters based on their social status? Does Emma's attitude change as the novel progresses? In what way?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)