|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emma insist on escorting Harriet to Ford's to buy fabric?
2. What news causes Mrs. Weston to worry about her husband's emotions?
3. What is Mrs. Bates' relationship to Miss Fairfax?
4. Whose advice regarding his children begins to annoy Mr. John Knightley?
5. Who does Emma decide to feature in her next art project?
Short Essay Questions
1. What long awaited visitor finally arrives in Highbury?
2. What visitor to the Bates household does Emma not want to see?
3. What does Mr. Elton do that causes Emma to change her mind about his manners?
4. What change has occurred in the Woodhouse home recently?
5. Who does Emma believe the anonymous benefactor of a pianoforte for Miss Fairfax is?
6. What did Mr. Knightley give the Bateses that causes Emma's curiosity to be aroused?
7. Who does Harriet run into in town and later invites Harriet to have tea?
8. What happens when Emma maneuvers to leave Mr. Elton and Harriet alone together?
9. What does Mr. Churchill do that causes Emma to rethink her opinion of him? How does it affect Mr. Knightley's opinion of Mr. Churchill?
10. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. Martin? Why does Emma not approve of his desire to marry Harriet? How does Emma treat Mr. Martin? How does Harriet treat Mr. Martin? Why does Emma put a time limit on a visit Harriet makes to the Martin home? Is this appropriate? How do Harriet and Mr. Martin finally get together? How does Emma feel about this match? Why does Emma's feelings change? Should Emma have listened to Harriet's opinion on Mr. Martin despite her personal opinion of Mr. Martin's social status? How does Emma's change of heart reflect her character growth?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. John Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? To Mr. George Knightley? Why does Mr. John Knightley not like Mr. Woodhouse? What does Mr. Woodhouse do to annoy Mr. John Knightley? What is Mr. John Knightley's social status? How does his behavior reflect his social status? Is Mr. John Knightley a fair example of people of his social class? Why or why not? How does Mr. John Knightley affect Emma's behaviors and opinions? Does this change through the course of the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss social status. What is social status? How does one's place in society affect their friends, their behaviors, and their attitudes? How does Emma see herself in the realm of social status? Is Emma's behavior dictated by her social status? How does the social status of other characters affect the way Emma treats them? Is Emma fair in her treatment of other characters based on their social status? Does Emma's attitude change as the novel progresses? In what way?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)