|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emma decide to avoid in the near future?
2. Who raised and gave their name to Mr. Weston's son?
3. What is Emma's definition of an old maid?
4. What news causes Mrs. Weston to worry about her husband's emotions?
5. What is Emma's reaction to the implication that Mr. George Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change has occurred in the Woodhouse home recently?
2. Why does Mr. Churchill cancel his plans to visit the Westons? Why is Mrs. Weston upset by this?
3. What is Mr. John Knightley's relationship to Emma? To Mr. Knightley?
4. Who does Emma believe the anonymous benefactor of a pianoforte for Miss Fairfax is?
5. Whose engagement has the entire village talking?
6. Why do Mr. John Knightley and Mr. Woodhouse fight over dinner?
7. Who does Harriet run into in town and later invites Harriet to have tea?
8. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
9. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
10. Who does Harriet want to be matched with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss social status. What is social status? How does one's place in society affect their friends, their behaviors, and their attitudes? How does Emma see herself in the realm of social status? Is Emma's behavior dictated by her social status? How does the social status of other characters affect the way Emma treats them? Is Emma fair in her treatment of other characters based on their social status? Does Emma's attitude change as the novel progresses? In what way?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? Which characters in this novel show character growth? What has contributed to this character growth? Is character growth a positive change for these characters? Explain. How might the plot be affected if this growth had not occurred? Who shows the most growth? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mrs. Weston? What is her relationship to Emma? How does her marriage to Mr. Weston change her relationship to Emma? Why is Emma unhappy with this change? How is Mrs. Weston related to Mr. Churchill? Why does Mrs. Weston think Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? Is she? Why is Mrs. Weston upset when she learns about the secret Mr. Churchill has been hiding? What is this secret? How does it impact Emma?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)