|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides to throw a ball to honor Mr. Churchill?
2. What complaint does Mr. Woodhouse have regarding the food served at a dinner party at Hartfield?
3. Who is having a party but fails to send the Woodhouses an invitation along with ones sent to the other families in Highbury?
4. What is Mrs. Bates' relationship to Miss Fairfax?
5. Who is Colonel Campbell who provided for Miss Fairfax's education?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet decline Mr. Martin's proposal?
2. What does Mr. Churchill do that causes Emma to rethink her opinion of him? How does it affect Mr. Knightley's opinion of Mr. Churchill?
3. Whose engagement has the entire village talking?
4. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
5. Who does Emma believe the anonymous benefactor of a pianoforte for Miss Fairfax is?
6. Why do Mr. John Knightley and Mr. Woodhouse fight over dinner?
7. What caused Mr. Weston's first marriage to be an unhappy one?
8. What did Mr. Knightley give the Bateses that causes Emma's curiosity to be aroused?
9. Who objects to Emma's friendship with Harriet?
10. Who asks Emma to save him the first two dances at the ball the Westons are planning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. John Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? To Mr. George Knightley? Why does Mr. John Knightley not like Mr. Woodhouse? What does Mr. Woodhouse do to annoy Mr. John Knightley? What is Mr. John Knightley's social status? How does his behavior reflect his social status? Is Mr. John Knightley a fair example of people of his social class? Why or why not? How does Mr. John Knightley affect Emma's behaviors and opinions? Does this change through the course of the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. Elton? Why does Emma set out to match Mr. Elton with Harriet? Why does Emma believe Mr. Elton is good for Harriet? How does Mr. Elton feel about Emma's attentions? Does Mr. Elton know Emma wants him to fall in love with Harriet? When does Mr. Elton learn this fact? What secret does Mr. Elton reveal to Emma? How does this secret change Emma's aspirations of matching Mr. Elton to Harriet? How does this change affect Harriet?
Essay Topic 3
What is meant by the term old maid? Who is an old maid in this novel? Was this a choice for this character? Why does Emma insist that she will not be an old maid even if she never marries? How does this reflect Emma's opinion of social status? What else does this opinion reveal about Emma's character? Is being an old maid a bad thing? Can an old maid ever get married? Why or why not?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)