|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift has Mr. George Knightley made to the Bates that causes Emma to wonder about his intentions?
2. Who does Mr. John Knightley suggest is in love with Emma?
3. Who does Emma decide to avoid in the near future?
4. Who asks Emma for the privilege of the first two dances at this ball?
5. Who disapproves of Emma's friendship with Harriet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Churchill cancel his plans to visit the Westons? Why is Mrs. Weston upset by this?
2. What happens when Emma maneuvers to leave Mr. Elton and Harriet alone together?
3. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
4. Who else becomes engaged? To whom?
5. How does Harriet react when Emma tells her that Mr. Elton declared his love for Emma? Why?
6. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
7. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
8. What does Mr. Churchill do that causes Emma to rethink her opinion of him? How does it affect Mr. Knightley's opinion of Mr. Churchill?
9. Why does Emma decide to throw a dinner party? Why does Emma insist on keeping the guest list down to eight names?
10. Who saves Harriet from an attack by gypsies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. Woodhouse? Why does Mr. Woodhouse worry about the foods he eats and his overall health? Is Mr. Woodhouse mentally disturbed, or are his opinions based on something else? Why does Mr. Woodhouse's son-in-law have no patience for Mr. Woodhouse's quirks? How does this cause tension between the two men? Why does Mr. Woodhouse not approve of Emma's engagement? Why does he change his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. George Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley spend so much time with Emma? Why does Emma come to believe that Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax? Is he? Why is Emma upset at the idea of this match? What is she afraid will happen if Mr. Knightley marries? Who does Emma try to match Mr. Knightley with at the end of the novel? Why does Mr. Knightley believe Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? What does Mr. Knightley reveal when he learns Emma is not in love with Mr. Churchill?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss secrets. Who has a secret in this novel? Why do these characters keep secrets? How do these secrets impact the people around them? How many secrets are revealed to Emma in the course of the novel? How does each of these secrets impact Emma's actions and feelings? How do secrets impact Harriet? Mr. Knightley? Mr. Elton? Is keeping secrets a bad thing? Is there ever a good reason to keep a secret? Explain.
This section contains 2,370 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)