|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harriet go to for advice about this encounter?
2. What is Emma's reaction to the implication that Mr. George Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax?
3. Who sends a letter to Mr. Woodhouse announcing his intentions of going to Bath for an indeterminate amount of time?
4. Where is this ball to be held?
5. What concerns Mr. Woodhouse about this letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Churchill cancel his plans to visit the Westons? Why is Mrs. Weston upset by this?
2. What does Mr. Elton do that causes Emma to change her mind about his manners?
3. Why does Mr. Churchill abruptly leave Highbury? How does this make Emma feel?
4. What caused Mr. Weston's first marriage to be an unhappy one?
5. Why does Harriet decline Mr. Martin's proposal?
6. What did Mr. Knightley give the Bateses that causes Emma's curiosity to be aroused?
7. What is Mr. John Knightley's relationship to Emma? To Mr. Knightley?
8. Who objects to Emma's friendship with Harriet?
9. How does Mr. Elton react when he learns Harriet cannot attend a party due to a sore throat?
10. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. John Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? To Mr. George Knightley? Why does Mr. John Knightley not like Mr. Woodhouse? What does Mr. Woodhouse do to annoy Mr. John Knightley? What is Mr. John Knightley's social status? How does his behavior reflect his social status? Is Mr. John Knightley a fair example of people of his social class? Why or why not? How does Mr. John Knightley affect Emma's behaviors and opinions? Does this change through the course of the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Isabella Knightley? How is Isabella the personification of the Victorian housewife? Does Emma look up to her sister? Does Emma aspire to have the same life Isabella has? Why or why not? Does Isabella make marriage look desirable? Is Isabella a good wife and mother? How does marriage change Isabella's behaviors? How does marriage affect Isabella's relationship with her father? Her sister?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss social status. What is social status? How does one's place in society affect their friends, their behaviors, and their attitudes? How does Emma see herself in the realm of social status? Is Emma's behavior dictated by her social status? How does the social status of other characters affect the way Emma treats them? Is Emma fair in her treatment of other characters based on their social status? Does Emma's attitude change as the novel progresses? In what way?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)