|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emma take Harriet to visit in hopes of distracting her from her depression?
2. Who invites Harriet to tea at their home, causing her to seek advice again?
3. Who raised and gave their name to Mr. Weston's son?
4. Who do Emma and Harriet run into on the road between Randalls and Hartfield?
5. What does Harriet find in her room at the boarding school that surprises her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Mr. Weston's first marriage to be an unhappy one?
2. What change has occurred in the Woodhouse home recently?
3. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
4. What happens when Emma maneuvers to leave Mr. Elton and Harriet alone together?
5. Why does Mr. Churchill abruptly leave Highbury? How does this make Emma feel?
6. Why does Harriet decline Mr. Martin's proposal?
7. What does Mr. Churchill do that causes Emma to rethink her opinion of him? How does it affect Mr. Knightley's opinion of Mr. Churchill?
8. What does Mr. Elton do that causes Emma to change her mind about his manners?
9. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
10. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. Martin? Why does Emma not approve of his desire to marry Harriet? How does Emma treat Mr. Martin? How does Harriet treat Mr. Martin? Why does Emma put a time limit on a visit Harriet makes to the Martin home? Is this appropriate? How do Harriet and Mr. Martin finally get together? How does Emma feel about this match? Why does Emma's feelings change? Should Emma have listened to Harriet's opinion on Mr. Martin despite her personal opinion of Mr. Martin's social status? How does Emma's change of heart reflect her character growth?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Elton? Where is she from? How does Emma feel about Mrs. Elton? How does Harriet feel about Mrs. Elton? Do the people of the village like Mrs. Elton? How does Mrs. Elton attempt to embarrass Harriet at the Westons' ball? Why? Why does Mrs. Elton constantly express unpleasant things about Emma? Why does Mrs. Elton's opinion matter? Is Mrs. Elton jealous? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Woodhouse? Why does Mr. Woodhouse worry about the foods he eats and his overall health? Is Mr. Woodhouse mentally disturbed, or are his opinions based on something else? Why does Mr. Woodhouse's son-in-law have no patience for Mr. Woodhouse's quirks? How does this cause tension between the two men? Why does Mr. Woodhouse not approve of Emma's engagement? Why does he change his mind?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)