Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose arrival in Highbury has been delayed?
2. Who is kept from Mr. Woodhouse to prevent annoying him?
3. Who invites Harriet to tea at their home, causing her to seek advice again?
4. Who does not think highly of Mr. Churchill because of his recent inaction?
5. Who gives Emma a riddle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Elton react when he learns Harriet cannot attend a party due to a sore throat?
2. What long awaited visitor finally arrives in Highbury?
3. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
4. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
5. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
6. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
7. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
8. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
9. Who disapproves of Emma's engagement to Mr. Knightley?
10. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? Which characters in this novel show character growth? What has contributed to this character growth? Is character growth a positive change for these characters? Explain. How might the plot be affected if this growth had not occurred? Who shows the most growth? Why?
Who is Mrs. Weston? What is her relationship to Emma? How does her marriage to Mr. Weston change her relationship to Emma? Why is Emma unhappy with this change? How is Mrs. Weston related to Mr. Churchill? Why does Mrs. Weston think Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? Is she? Why is Mrs. Weston upset when she learns about the secret Mr. Churchill has been hiding? What is this secret? How does it impact Emma?
Discuss secrets. Who has a secret in this novel? Why do these characters keep secrets? How do these secrets impact the people around them? How many secrets are revealed to Emma in the course of the novel? How does each of these secrets impact Emma's actions and feelings? How do secrets impact Harriet? Mr. Knightley? Mr. Elton? Is keeping secrets a bad thing? Is there ever a good reason to keep a secret? Explain.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)