|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Emma's first impression of the mysterious Mr. Churchill?
2. Who does Mr. John Knightley suggest is in love with Emma?
3. Who sends a letter to Mr. Woodhouse announcing his intentions of going to Bath for an indeterminate amount of time?
4. Who becomes a frequent visitor at Highbury during the creation of this art project?
5. Who does Emma take Harriet to visit in hopes of distracting her from her depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Churchill cancel his plans to visit the Westons? Why is Mrs. Weston upset by this?
2. Who does Emma believe the anonymous benefactor of a pianoforte for Miss Fairfax is?
3. What is Emma's initial reaction to Mr. Churchill?
4. How does Mr. Elton react when he learns Harriet cannot attend a party due to a sore throat?
5. What does Mr. Elton do that causes Emma to change her mind about his manners?
6. Who does Emma want to pair with her neighbor, Mr. Elton, in a matchmaking attempt?
7. Who objects to Emma's friendship with Harriet?
8. Why does Mr. Churchill abruptly leave Highbury? How does this make Emma feel?
9. Who does Harriet run into in town and later invites Harriet to have tea?
10. Whose engagement has the entire village talking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. George Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley spend so much time with Emma? Why does Emma come to believe that Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax? Is he? Why is Emma upset at the idea of this match? What is she afraid will happen if Mr. Knightley marries? Who does Emma try to match Mr. Knightley with at the end of the novel? Why does Mr. Knightley believe Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? What does Mr. Knightley reveal when he learns Emma is not in love with Mr. Churchill?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss marriage. What is marriage? How is marriage viewed by the novel's characters? Is it important for women to be married in the setting of this novel? Why or why not? Is marriage a career for some women? Is marriage something to aspire to? How does Emma feel about marriage? How does Harriet feel about marriage? How do their views compare? How does Isabella feel about marriage? What kind of example does Isabella set for Emma in regards to marriage? Does Emma aspire to have what Isabella has? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Elton? Why does Emma set out to match Mr. Elton with Harriet? Why does Emma believe Mr. Elton is good for Harriet? How does Mr. Elton feel about Emma's attentions? Does Mr. Elton know Emma wants him to fall in love with Harriet? When does Mr. Elton learn this fact? What secret does Mr. Elton reveal to Emma? How does this secret change Emma's aspirations of matching Mr. Elton to Harriet? How does this change affect Harriet?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)