|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity does Mr. Churchill confess to Emma that he loves?
2. Why does Mr. Churchill abruptly decide to leave?
3. What is Emma's first impression of the mysterious Mr. Churchill?
4. Why does Emma believe her carriage companion made this confession?
5. Who is Colonel Campbell who provided for Miss Fairfax's education?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who objects to Emma's friendship with Harriet?
2. Who is the intended recipient of the riddle Mr. Elton leaves at Emma's home?
3. What happens when Emma maneuvers to leave Mr. Elton and Harriet alone together?
4. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
5. What does Mr. Churchill do that causes Emma to rethink her opinion of him? How does it affect Mr. Knightley's opinion of Mr. Churchill?
6. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
7. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
8. How does Mr. Elton react when he learns Harriet cannot attend a party due to a sore throat?
9. What causes a delay in the delivery of an invitation to the Coles' party for the Woodhouses?
10. Why does Harriet decline Mr. Martin's proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Emma? Why does Emma feel she is superior to the people around her? Why does Emma believe herself to be a gifted matchmaker? What matches has Emma made that were successful? Who is Emma's next target? Why does Emma not allow these people to find love on their own? Why does Emma seek out the company of Harriet? Why does Emma not like Miss Fairfax? Why does Emma never want to marry? Why does Emma change her mind when she finds herself alone with her father? Does fear compel Emma's decision?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? Which characters in this novel show character growth? What has contributed to this character growth? Is character growth a positive change for these characters? Explain. How might the plot be affected if this growth had not occurred? Who shows the most growth? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Harriet? How do Harriet and Emma become friends? Who are Harriet's parents? Are their identity important to Harriet? Why or why not? Who does Harriet fall in love with? Why does Harriet go along with Emma's scheme to match Harriet to Mr. Elton? Does Harriet love Mr. Elton? Why does Harriet come to believe no man will ever love her? Whose fault is this? Does Harriet ever find love? How?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)