|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emma not approve of Harriet's choice of men?
2. Who does not think highly of Mr. Churchill because of his recent inaction?
3. Who does Emma decide to avoid in the near future?
4. Who disapproves of Emma's friendship with Harriet?
5. What does Mr. Churchill try to make Miss Fairfax confess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet decline Mr. Martin's proposal?
2. Why do Mr. John Knightley and Mr. Woodhouse fight over dinner?
3. What visitor to the Bates household does Emma not want to see?
4. What does Emma decide to do in order to bring Mr. Elton and Harriet together?
5. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
6. What does Mr. Churchill do that causes Emma to rethink her opinion of him? How does it affect Mr. Knightley's opinion of Mr. Churchill?
7. What does Mr. Elton do that causes Emma to change her mind about his manners?
8. Why does Mr. Churchill abruptly leave Highbury? How does this make Emma feel?
9. What change has occurred in the Woodhouse home recently?
10. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. Woodhouse? Why does Mr. Woodhouse worry about the foods he eats and his overall health? Is Mr. Woodhouse mentally disturbed, or are his opinions based on something else? Why does Mr. Woodhouse's son-in-law have no patience for Mr. Woodhouse's quirks? How does this cause tension between the two men? Why does Mr. Woodhouse not approve of Emma's engagement? Why does he change his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss marriage. What is marriage? How is marriage viewed by the novel's characters? Is it important for women to be married in the setting of this novel? Why or why not? Is marriage a career for some women? Is marriage something to aspire to? How does Emma feel about marriage? How does Harriet feel about marriage? How do their views compare? How does Isabella feel about marriage? What kind of example does Isabella set for Emma in regards to marriage? Does Emma aspire to have what Isabella has? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Harriet? How do Harriet and Emma become friends? Who are Harriet's parents? Are their identity important to Harriet? Why or why not? Who does Harriet fall in love with? Why does Harriet go along with Emma's scheme to match Harriet to Mr. Elton? Does Harriet love Mr. Elton? Why does Harriet come to believe no man will ever love her? Whose fault is this? Does Harriet ever find love? How?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)