|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not think highly of Mr. Churchill because of his recent inaction?
2. How does Miss Fairfax respond to questions Emma asks about Mr. Churchill?
3. Who gives Emma a riddle?
4. What is all the gossip centering around this person about?
5. What does Emma do to attempt to give Harriet and Mr. Elton time alone together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who asks Emma to save him the first two dances at the ball the Westons are planning?
2. Who is the intended recipient of the riddle Mr. Elton leaves at Emma's home?
3. What does Mr. Churchill do that causes Emma to rethink her opinion of him? How does it affect Mr. Knightley's opinion of Mr. Churchill?
4. Who does Harriet run into in town and later invites Harriet to have tea?
5. What does Mr. Elton do that causes Emma to change her mind about his manners?
6. Who does Emma believe the anonymous benefactor of a pianoforte for Miss Fairfax is?
7. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
8. What did Mr. Knightley give the Bateses that causes Emma's curiosity to be aroused?
9. Why do Mr. John Knightley and Mr. Woodhouse fight over dinner?
10. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. Woodhouse? Why does Mr. Woodhouse worry about the foods he eats and his overall health? Is Mr. Woodhouse mentally disturbed, or are his opinions based on something else? Why does Mr. Woodhouse's son-in-law have no patience for Mr. Woodhouse's quirks? How does this cause tension between the two men? Why does Mr. Woodhouse not approve of Emma's engagement? Why does he change his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. George Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley spend so much time with Emma? Why does Emma come to believe that Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax? Is he? Why is Emma upset at the idea of this match? What is she afraid will happen if Mr. Knightley marries? Who does Emma try to match Mr. Knightley with at the end of the novel? Why does Mr. Knightley believe Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? What does Mr. Knightley reveal when he learns Emma is not in love with Mr. Churchill?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Churchill? Who is he related to? Why does Mr. Churchill not have his father's name? What are the circumstances of Mr. Churchill's birth? Is this unusual given the setting of the novel? How does Emma feel about Mr. Churchill? How does Mr. Churchill feel about Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley not like Mr. Churchill? Is his opinion important to Emma? What secret does Mr. Churchill harbor throughout the novel? Why does he keep this secret? How does the secret impact the people of the village when they learn the truth? Why?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)