Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose arrival in Highbury has been delayed?
2. Who is kept from Mr. Woodhouse to prevent annoying him?
3. Who invites Harriet to tea at their home, causing her to seek advice again?
4. Who does not think highly of Mr. Churchill because of his recent inaction?
5. Who gives Emma a riddle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Elton react when he learns Harriet cannot attend a party due to a sore throat?
2. What long awaited visitor finally arrives in Highbury?
3. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
4. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
5. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
6. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
7. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
8. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
9. Who disapproves of Emma's engagement to Mr. Knightley?
10. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Harriet? How do Harriet and Emma become friends? Who are Harriet's parents? Are their identity important to Harriet? Why or why not? Who does Harriet fall in love with? Why does Harriet go along with Emma's scheme to match Harriet to Mr. Elton? Does Harriet love Mr. Elton? Why does Harriet come to believe no man will ever love her? Whose fault is this? Does Harriet ever find love? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss secrets. Who has a secret in this novel? Why do these characters keep secrets? How do these secrets impact the people around them? How many secrets are revealed to Emma in the course of the novel? How does each of these secrets impact Emma's actions and feelings? How do secrets impact Harriet? Mr. Knightley? Mr. Elton? Is keeping secrets a bad thing? Is there ever a good reason to keep a secret? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. Elton? Why does Emma set out to match Mr. Elton with Harriet? Why does Emma believe Mr. Elton is good for Harriet? How does Mr. Elton feel about Emma's attentions? Does Mr. Elton know Emma wants him to fall in love with Harriet? When does Mr. Elton learn this fact? What secret does Mr. Elton reveal to Emma? How does this secret change Emma's aspirations of matching Mr. Elton to Harriet? How does this change affect Harriet?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)