|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who disapproves of Emma's friendship with Harriet?
2. Why does Emma believe her carriage companion made this confession?
3. Who has recently left the Woodhouse home in order to marry?
4. What recent wedding is the main topic of conversation?
5. Who do Emma and Harriet run into while Emma escorts Harriet to Ford's to buy fabric?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Emma maneuvers to leave Mr. Elton and Harriet alone together?
2. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
3. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
4. Who does Harriet want to be matched with?
5. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
6. What convinces Emma she is not in love with Mr. Churchill? Who does Emma think would be a good match for Mr. Churchill?
7. What reason does Emma have to not get married right away?
8. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
9. Whose engagement has the entire village talking?
10. Who is the intended recipient of the riddle Mr. Elton leaves at Emma's home?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss friendship. Who is Emma's best friend? Why does Emma feel as though she has lost her best friend? Has she? Why does Emma befriend Harriet? Why does Emma shun Miss Fairfax? Is Emma a true friend to Harriet? Why or why not? How does Emma hurt Harriet? Does she do this intentionally? Why does Emma eventually regret her treatment of Miss Fairfax? How does Emma go about repairing this relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. Woodhouse? Why does Mr. Woodhouse worry about the foods he eats and his overall health? Is Mr. Woodhouse mentally disturbed, or are his opinions based on something else? Why does Mr. Woodhouse's son-in-law have no patience for Mr. Woodhouse's quirks? How does this cause tension between the two men? Why does Mr. Woodhouse not approve of Emma's engagement? Why does he change his mind?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Harriet? How do Harriet and Emma become friends? Who are Harriet's parents? Are their identity important to Harriet? Why or why not? Who does Harriet fall in love with? Why does Harriet go along with Emma's scheme to match Harriet to Mr. Elton? Does Harriet love Mr. Elton? Why does Harriet come to believe no man will ever love her? Whose fault is this? Does Harriet ever find love? How?
This section contains 2,344 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)