|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Emma's reaction to the implication that Mr. George Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax?
2. What news causes Mrs. Weston to worry about her husband's emotions?
3. Who does Emma believe the donor of the pianoforte is?
4. What does Emma do to attempt to give Harriet and Mr. Elton time alone together?
5. Who does Emma believe the riddle was meant for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
2. Who asks Emma to save him the first two dances at the ball the Westons are planning?
3. What change has occurred in the Woodhouse home recently?
4. What does Emma decide to do in order to bring Mr. Elton and Harriet together?
5. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
6. What caused Mr. Weston's first marriage to be an unhappy one?
7. What is Emma's initial reaction to Mr. Churchill?
8. What visitor to the Bates household does Emma not want to see?
9. How does Harriet react when Emma tells her that Mr. Elton declared his love for Emma? Why?
10. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Weston? What is her relationship to Emma? How does her marriage to Mr. Weston change her relationship to Emma? Why is Emma unhappy with this change? How is Mrs. Weston related to Mr. Churchill? Why does Mrs. Weston think Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? Is she? Why is Mrs. Weston upset when she learns about the secret Mr. Churchill has been hiding? What is this secret? How does it impact Emma?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. Elton? Why does Emma set out to match Mr. Elton with Harriet? Why does Emma believe Mr. Elton is good for Harriet? How does Mr. Elton feel about Emma's attentions? Does Mr. Elton know Emma wants him to fall in love with Harriet? When does Mr. Elton learn this fact? What secret does Mr. Elton reveal to Emma? How does this secret change Emma's aspirations of matching Mr. Elton to Harriet? How does this change affect Harriet?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Harriet? How do Harriet and Emma become friends? Who are Harriet's parents? Are their identity important to Harriet? Why or why not? Who does Harriet fall in love with? Why does Harriet go along with Emma's scheme to match Harriet to Mr. Elton? Does Harriet love Mr. Elton? Why does Harriet come to believe no man will ever love her? Whose fault is this? Does Harriet ever find love? How?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)