|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What visitors are the Woodhouses expecting for Christmas?
2. Who gives Emma a riddle?
3. Who does Harriet go to for advice about this encounter?
4. Who believes this choice of vacation location was all wrong?
5. Who is having a party but fails to send the Woodhouses an invitation along with ones sent to the other families in Highbury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Harriet want to be matched with?
2. Why does Harriet decline Mr. Martin's proposal?
3. How does Mr. Elton react when he learns Harriet cannot attend a party due to a sore throat?
4. What change has occurred in the Woodhouse home recently?
5. Who does Emma want to pair with her neighbor, Mr. Elton, in a matchmaking attempt?
6. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
7. Who does Emma believe the anonymous benefactor of a pianoforte for Miss Fairfax is?
8. What does Emma decide to do in order to bring Mr. Elton and Harriet together?
9. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
10. Who objects to Emma's friendship with Harriet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Emma? Why does Emma feel she is superior to the people around her? Why does Emma believe herself to be a gifted matchmaker? What matches has Emma made that were successful? Who is Emma's next target? Why does Emma not allow these people to find love on their own? Why does Emma seek out the company of Harriet? Why does Emma not like Miss Fairfax? Why does Emma never want to marry? Why does Emma change her mind when she finds herself alone with her father? Does fear compel Emma's decision?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. John Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? To Mr. George Knightley? Why does Mr. John Knightley not like Mr. Woodhouse? What does Mr. Woodhouse do to annoy Mr. John Knightley? What is Mr. John Knightley's social status? How does his behavior reflect his social status? Is Mr. John Knightley a fair example of people of his social class? Why or why not? How does Mr. John Knightley affect Emma's behaviors and opinions? Does this change through the course of the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mrs. Elton? Where is she from? How does Emma feel about Mrs. Elton? How does Harriet feel about Mrs. Elton? Do the people of the village like Mrs. Elton? How does Mrs. Elton attempt to embarrass Harriet at the Westons' ball? Why? Why does Mrs. Elton constantly express unpleasant things about Emma? Why does Mrs. Elton's opinion matter? Is Mrs. Elton jealous? Why?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)