|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is this ball to be held?
2. Who does Emma decide to feature in her next art project?
3. Who gives Emma a riddle?
4. Who is having a party but fails to send the Woodhouses an invitation along with ones sent to the other families in Highbury?
5. Who invites Harriet to tea at their home, causing her to seek advice again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
2. Who saves Harriet from an attack by gypsies?
3. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
4. Why does Mr. Knightley dislike Mr. Churchill? Does this influence the comments he makes to Emma regarding Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
5. When Emma speaks to Mr. Knightley upon his return what does he tell her?
6. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
7. What change has occurred in the Woodhouse home recently?
8. Who objects to Emma's friendship with Harriet?
9. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
10. Who does Harriet run into in town and later invites Harriet to have tea?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. George Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley spend so much time with Emma? Why does Emma come to believe that Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax? Is he? Why is Emma upset at the idea of this match? What is she afraid will happen if Mr. Knightley marries? Who does Emma try to match Mr. Knightley with at the end of the novel? Why does Mr. Knightley believe Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? What does Mr. Knightley reveal when he learns Emma is not in love with Mr. Churchill?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Elton? Where is she from? How does Emma feel about Mrs. Elton? How does Harriet feel about Mrs. Elton? Do the people of the village like Mrs. Elton? How does Mrs. Elton attempt to embarrass Harriet at the Westons' ball? Why? Why does Mrs. Elton constantly express unpleasant things about Emma? Why does Mrs. Elton's opinion matter? Is Mrs. Elton jealous? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss matchmaking. Who is the matchmaker in this novel? How does this person go about matching people together? Do these schemes work? How does this person know who to match and how they feel about one another? Is their more than one matchmaker in the novel? Is so, who is the other matchmaker? How is this person's matchmaking different from the other character's matchmaking? Who is more successful? Why?
This section contains 2,287 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)