Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose arrival in Highbury has been delayed?
2. Who is kept from Mr. Woodhouse to prevent annoying him?
3. Who invites Harriet to tea at their home, causing her to seek advice again?
4. Who does not think highly of Mr. Churchill because of his recent inaction?
5. Who gives Emma a riddle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Elton react when he learns Harriet cannot attend a party due to a sore throat?
2. What long awaited visitor finally arrives in Highbury?
3. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
4. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
5. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
6. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
7. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
8. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
9. Who disapproves of Emma's engagement to Mr. Knightley?
10. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss secrets. Who has a secret in this novel? Why do these characters keep secrets? How do these secrets impact the people around them? How many secrets are revealed to Emma in the course of the novel? How does each of these secrets impact Emma's actions and feelings? How do secrets impact Harriet? Mr. Knightley? Mr. Elton? Is keeping secrets a bad thing? Is there ever a good reason to keep a secret? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss setting. When is this novel set? Where is the novel set? How does the setting impact the development of the plot? How might the novel be different if it were set in modern times? What are the values of the time period in which the novel is set? How do those values compare to modern values? How does the location of the setting affect the characters? Would the novel be different if it had been set in New York City or Tokyo? How?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mr. George Knightley? What is his relationship to Emma? Why does Mr. Knightley spend so much time with Emma? Why does Emma come to believe that Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax? Is he? Why is Emma upset at the idea of this match? What is she afraid will happen if Mr. Knightley marries? Who does Emma try to match Mr. Knightley with at the end of the novel? Why does Mr. Knightley believe Emma is in love with Mr. Churchill? What does Mr. Knightley reveal when he learns Emma is not in love with Mr. Churchill?
This section contains 2,173 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)