|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What solution does Mr. George Knightley come up with for Emma's reasons for delaying their wedding?
(a) Mr. George Knighley suggests they find a woman to marry Mr. Woodhouse.
(b) Mr. George Knightley suggests they hire a nurse for Mr. Woodhouse.
(c) Mr. George Knightley suggests he move into Hartfield.
(d) Mr. George Knightley suggests Mr. Woodhouse go to live in London with Isabella.
2. Who does Harriet's father turn out to be?
(a) A wealthy tradesman.
(b) A vicar.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A farmer.
3. Who is finally married in Volume 2, Chapter 14?
(a) Mr. George Knightley and Miss Fairfax.
(b) Mr. Elton and Miss Hawkins.
(c) Miss Bates.
(d) Mr. Elton and Harriet.
4. Why do Emma and Mr. Knightley discuss this invitation?
(a) They are discussing the gift they should bring.
(b) They are discussing the unpleasantness of another day in Mrs. Elton's company.
(c) They are trying to decide if they should attend.
(d) They are both trying to discover how the other feels about the people involved.
5. From what does Mr. Churchill save Harriet in Volume 3, Chapter 3?
(a) An attack by an unknown man.
(b) A broken carriage wheel.
(c) A fainting spell.
(d) A robbery by gypsies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harriet confess that she really loves?
2. What is Emma's opinion of the new bride?
3. What game does Emma play at the picnic at Box Hill?
4. What is the result of this meeting between Harriet and a visitor from Highbury?
5. Why is Mrs. Elton's picnic at Box Hill delayed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who else becomes engaged? To whom?
2. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
3. When Emma speaks to Mr. Knightley upon his return what does he tell her?
4. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
5. Why does Emma decide to throw a dinner party? Why does Emma insist on keeping the guest list down to eight names?
6. Why does Mr. Knightley dislike Mr. Churchill? Does this influence the comments he makes to Emma regarding Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
7. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
8. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
9. Who does Emma learn has passed away?
10. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)