|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Emma reach out to, and is rebuffed, when she learns of this person's illness?
(b) Mr. Churchill.
(c) Miss Fairfax.
(d) Mrs. Weston.
2. Why does Harriet announce she never plans to marry?
(a) Harriet wants to be just like Emma.
(b) Harriet feels she will only love Mr. Elton.
(c) Harriet is tired of attempting to seduce men.
(d) Harriet feels she is not worthy of a good man.
3. What is Emma's opinion of the new bride?
(a) Emma thinks she is beautiful and polite.
(b) Emma thinks she is perfect for her new groom.
(c) Emma thinks she is vulgar and too familiar.
(d) Emma thinks she is morose and sickly.
4. To what town does Mr. Churchill move with his aunt and uncle?
5. How does the revelation of the father of Harriet change her social status upon her marriage?
(a) It means Harriet can no longer spend time with Emma and her other friends.
(b) It has no affect.
(c) It means her intended marriage is below her and cannot take place.
(d) Her father ensures that Harriet will remain a part of high society despite marrying a farmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emma believe she faces a future without friends?
2. Who is most scandalized by Mr. George Knightley's decision to move into Hartfield?
3. Where do Emma and Mr. Knightley go to visit in Volume 3, Chapter 18?
4. What does Mrs. Elton constantly compare Highbury to?
5. Who finds this decision on Miss Fairfax's part appalling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Woodhouse change his mind about Emma marrying Mr. Knightley?
2. Who thinks the living arrangements Emma and Mr. Knightley have come up with are improper?
3. Who else becomes engaged? To whom?
4. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
5. Who saves Harriet from an attack by gypsies?
6. Who decides to become a governess, making this announcement at Emma's dinner party?
7. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
8. About whom does Emma make a rude comment at Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill? Why?
9. What reason does Emma have to not get married right away?
10. Who has gotten married? What does Emma think of this match?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)