|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the urgent message Mrs. Weston has for Emma?
(a) That Miss Fairfax has eloped with Mr. Churchill.
(b) That Harriet has become engaged to Mr. Martin.
(c) That Mr. Churchill has been engaged to Miss Fairfax for months.
(d) That Mrs. Weston is about to deliver her baby.
2. Why is Mr. Knightley concerned about Mr. Churchill's interest in Emma?
(a) Because he is unreliable and untrustworthy.
(b) Because he loves Emma himself.
(c) Because he is also flirting with Miss Fairfax.
(d) Because he simply does not like him.
3. What does Harriet think of the newly married couple?
(a) Harriet is depressed, convinced she will never be married.
(b) Harriet is happy they found happiness.
(c) Harriet is happy there is one less man for Emma to match her with.
(d) Harriet is jealous of their union.
4. Who chastises Emma, causing her to feel mortified?
(a) Mr. Woodhouse.
(b) Mr. Churchill.
(c) Mr. George Knightley.
(d) Mr. Weston.
5. From what does Mr. Churchill save Harriet in Volume 3, Chapter 3?
(a) A broken carriage wheel.
(b) A robbery by gypsies.
(c) A fainting spell.
(d) An attack by an unknown man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emma tell herself she is anxious to see Mr. Churchill?
2. Who does Harriet's father turn out to be?
3. Who continues to be unpleasant and make rude comments, even at Emma's wedding?
4. Why is Emma happy about this incident in which Mr. Churchill has been forced to save Harriet?
5. Who volunteers to host the party while the problem is resolved?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Emma decide to match Harriet with next?
2. What does Emma learn when she visits the Bateses after Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill?
3. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
4. Who decides to become a governess, making this announcement at Emma's dinner party?
5. Who has gotten married? What does Emma think of this match?
6. When Emma speaks to Mr. Knightley upon his return what does he tell her?
7. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
8. What decision does Mr. Knightley make when Emma tells him why she cannot marry him immediately?
9. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
10. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)