|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is this person angry with Mr. George Knightley?
(a) Because Mr. Knightley accused him of cheating at cards.
(b) Because Mr. Knightley was supposed to meet him at Donwell Abbey and did not.
(c) Because Mr. Knightley cheated him in a business deal.
(d) Because Mr. Knightley stole his cow.
2. Who dies in Volume 3, Chapter 9?
(a) Mr. Woodhouse.
(b) Mr. Weston.
(c) Mrs. Churchill, Mr. Churchill's aunt.
(d) Mr. Churchill.
3. What is Mr. John Knightley's response to Emma's engagement?
(a) That it is a poor match.
(b) That Emma is the wrong choice for his brother.
(c) That Emma has done well, but he is unsure about his brother.
(d) That it is an exciting prospect.
4. To what town does Mr. Churchill move with his aunt and uncle?
5. Why does Emma believe she cannot move to Donwell Abbey after she marries Mr. George Knightley?
(a) Because Donwell Abbey is too large for her to care for along with her father.
(b) Because she does not like Donwell Abbey and neither does her father.
(c) Because her father would not be able to move there and cannot be left alone.
(d) Because she cannot imagine leaving Hartfield or her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the number to unavoidably increase to nine?
2. Why does Emma tell herself she is anxious to see Mr. Churchill?
3. Who is finally married in Volume 2, Chapter 14?
4. What does Emma question Mr. Knightley about as they discuss Miss Fairfax's new friendship?
5. Why does Harriet announce she never plans to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emma learn when she visits the Bateses after Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill?
2. Who saves Harriet from an attack by gypsies?
3. Why does Mr. Knightley continue to dislike Mr. Churchill?
4. Why does Emma decide to throw a dinner party? Why does Emma insist on keeping the guest list down to eight names?
5. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
6. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
7. Who else becomes engaged? To whom?
8. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
9. What decision does Mr. Knightley make when Emma tells him why she cannot marry him immediately?
10. Who does Emma decide to match Harriet with next?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)