|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would Emma think Mr. Churchill's engagement might upset Harriet?
(a) Because Harriet is in love with Mr. Churchill.
(b) Because Harriet is depressed that everyone is getting married except her.
(c) Because she has been trying to match Harriet and Mr. Churchill together.
(d) Because Harriet dislikes Miss Fairfax.
2. Who does Emma deduce Harriet is in love with?
(a) Mr. Elton.
(b) Mr. George Knightley.
(c) Mr. Churchill.
(d) Mr. Martin.
3. Why does Emma begin regretting her treatment of Miss Fairfax?
(a) Because she learns that Miss Fairfax regretted keeping her secret.
(b) Because she wants to remain on Mr. Churchill's good side.
(c) Because she thinks flirting with Mr. Churchill hurt Miss Fairfax's feelings.
(d) Because she thinks Miss Fairfax would have made a better friend because it would not have been hard to make a love match for her.
4. Who does Emma reach out to, and is rebuffed, when she learns of this person's illness?
(a) Mr. Churchill.
(c) Miss Fairfax.
(d) Mrs. Weston.
5. Why is Mrs. Elton's picnic at Box Hill delayed?
(a) A rainstorm.
(b) A servant strike.
(c) A lame carriage horse.
(d) A broken carriage wheel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emma regret attempting to play matchmaker with?
2. Why does Emma tell herself she is anxious to see Mr. Churchill?
3. What riddle does Mr. Churchill make for Miss Fairfax that makes her angry?
4. What does Emma question Mr. Knightley about as they discuss Miss Fairfax's new friendship?
5. Why does Harriet announce she never plans to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who thinks the living arrangements Emma and Mr. Knightley have come up with are improper?
2. How does Miss Fairfax react to Emma's attempts to apologize for her past behavior?
3. Who saves Harriet from an attack by gypsies?
4. What does Harriet decide to destroy after her encounter with the gypsies?
5. Who has gotten married? What does Emma think of this match?
6. About whom does Emma make a rude comment at Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill? Why?
7. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
8. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
9. Who is Emma afraid will be crushed by the news of Mr. Churchill's engagement?
10. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)