|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would Emma think Mr. Churchill's engagement might upset Harriet?
(a) Because she has been trying to match Harriet and Mr. Churchill together.
(b) Because Harriet dislikes Miss Fairfax.
(c) Because Harriet is depressed that everyone is getting married except her.
(d) Because Harriet is in love with Mr. Churchill.
2. What solution does Mr. George Knightley come up with for Emma's reasons for delaying their wedding?
(a) Mr. George Knightley suggests they hire a nurse for Mr. Woodhouse.
(b) Mr. George Knightley suggests he move into Hartfield.
(c) Mr. George Knighley suggests they find a woman to marry Mr. Woodhouse.
(d) Mr. George Knightley suggests Mr. Woodhouse go to live in London with Isabella.
3. What do Emma and Miss Fairfax say to each other before Emma leaves?
(a) To be one another's maid of honor.
(b) To be friends.
(c) To never fight again.
(d) To never speak again.
4. Why is this person angry with Mr. George Knightley?
(a) Because Mr. Knightley cheated him in a business deal.
(b) Because Mr. Knightley stole his cow.
(c) Because Mr. Knightley accused him of cheating at cards.
(d) Because Mr. Knightley was supposed to meet him at Donwell Abbey and did not.
5. Who does Emma make a harmless, but rude comment about?
(a) Miss Fairfax.
(b) Mrs. Elton.
(c) Mrs. Weston.
(d) Miss Bates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harriet's father turn out to be?
2. What is the urgent message Mrs. Weston has for Emma?
3. Who chastises Emma, causing her to feel mortified?
4. What visitor interrupts Emma's attempts at apologizing to this person she was previously unkind to?
5. What letter does Emma force Mr. George Knightley to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harriet decide to destroy after her encounter with the gypsies?
2. Why does Mr. Woodhouse change his mind about Emma marrying Mr. Knightley?
3. Who disapproves of Emma's engagement to Mr. Knightley?
4. About whom does Emma make a rude comment at Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill? Why?
5. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
6. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
7. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
8. Why does Mr. Knightley dislike Mr. Churchill? Does this influence the comments he makes to Emma regarding Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
9. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
10. Who has gotten married? What does Emma think of this match?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)