|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What riddle does Mr. Churchill make for Miss Fairfax that makes her angry?
(a) The name Emma.
(b) The name Dixon.
(c) The phrase old maid.
(d) The word governess.
2. What number of guests does Emma try to keep her party to in order to appease her father?
3. What game does Emma play with Mr. Churchill after tea at Hartfield?
(a) A riddle game with alphabet letters.
(d) A card game.
4. How does Emma feel when she sees Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
(a) Emma is angry and leaves immediately.
(b) Emma forgives them.
(c) Emma is cordial, but not happy.
(d) Emma refuses to attend their wedding.
5. What is the result of this meeting between Harriet and a visitor from Highbury?
(a) Miss Fairfax accuses Harriet of attempting to steal Mr. Churchill away.
(b) Mr. Elton suggests he made the wrong choice in wives.
(c) Mr. Churchill confesses he paid the gypsies to rob Harriet.
(d) Mr. Martin proposes again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. John Knightley's response to Emma's engagement?
2. How does the revelation of the father of Harriet change her social status upon her marriage?
3. Who chastises Emma, causing her to feel mortified?
4. Why does Emma send Harriet away?
5. Why do Emma and Mr. Knightley discuss this invitation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Emma afraid will be crushed by the news of Mr. Churchill's engagement?
2. Who disapproves of Emma's engagement to Mr. Knightley?
3. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
4. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
5. What reason does Emma have to not get married right away?
6. Who thinks the living arrangements Emma and Mr. Knightley have come up with are improper?
7. When Emma speaks to Mr. Knightley upon his return what does he tell her?
8. Who else becomes engaged? To whom?
9. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
10. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)