|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Emma begin regretting her treatment of Miss Fairfax?
(a) Because she wants to remain on Mr. Churchill's good side.
(b) Because she learns that Miss Fairfax regretted keeping her secret.
(c) Because she thinks Miss Fairfax would have made a better friend because it would not have been hard to make a love match for her.
(d) Because she thinks flirting with Mr. Churchill hurt Miss Fairfax's feelings.
2. Who does Mr. Churchill call Emma's lovely friend in a letter he sends to Mr. and Mrs. Weston?
(a) Mrs. Weston.
(b) Miss Fairfax.
(d) Miss Bates.
3. What is the result of this meeting between Harriet and a visitor from Highbury?
(a) Mr. Elton suggests he made the wrong choice in wives.
(b) Mr. Martin proposes again.
(c) Mr. Churchill confesses he paid the gypsies to rob Harriet.
(d) Miss Fairfax accuses Harriet of attempting to steal Mr. Churchill away.
4. What solution does Mr. George Knightley come up with for Emma's reasons for delaying their wedding?
(a) Mr. George Knightley suggests they hire a nurse for Mr. Woodhouse.
(b) Mr. George Knighley suggests they find a woman to marry Mr. Woodhouse.
(c) Mr. George Knightley suggests Mr. Woodhouse go to live in London with Isabella.
(d) Mr. George Knightley suggests he move into Hartfield.
5. What does Emma believe Harriet would be if allowed to remain in Hartfield?
(a) A distraction.
(b) Dead weight.
(c) A sounding board for wedding preparations.
(d) A good helper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. John Knightley say that causes Emma to be amused?
2. What visitor interrupts Emma's attempts at apologizing to this person she was previously unkind to?
3. What does Mr. George Knightley think of Mr. Churchill now, in light of his secret?
4. Why is Mrs. Elton's picnic at Box Hill delayed?
5. Why do Emma and Mr. Knightley discuss this invitation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Emma question about his feelings for Miss Fairfax? Does she believe his answers?
2. Who else becomes engaged? To whom?
3. Who is Emma afraid will be crushed by the news of Mr. Churchill's engagement?
4. Who interferes with Emma's attempt to make amends with Miss Fairfax?
5. Who does Emma learn has passed away?
6. Who attempts to humiliate Harriet? How?
7. What secret is revealed to Emma by Mrs. Weston?
8. What reason does Emma have to not get married right away?
9. Why does Mr. Knightley continue to dislike Mr. Churchill?
10. Who leaves Mrs. Elton's party at Donwell Abbey early? Why?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)