|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Emma and Mr. Knightley go to visit in Volume 3, Chapter 18?
(a) To Crowns to visit with an out of town cousin.
(b) To the Bates to see Miss Fairfox.
(c) To Donwell Abbey to measure the windows.
(d) The Randalls to see the Westons.
2. Why does Emma decide to host a party at Hartfield?
(a) To please her father.
(b) To avoid appearing rude.
(c) To attempt to befriend Mrs. Elton.
(d) To celebrate Mr. Churchill's return.
3. What causes the number to unavoidably increase to nine?
(a) Mr. John Knightley's unexpected arrival.
(b) Mr. Elton is called out of town for business.
(c) Harriet's illness.
(d) Mr. Weston ends his business early and is able to attend despite an earlier refusal.
4. Why is this person angry with Mr. George Knightley?
(a) Because Mr. Knightley stole his cow.
(b) Because Mr. Knightley accused him of cheating at cards.
(c) Because Mr. Knightley cheated him in a business deal.
(d) Because Mr. Knightley was supposed to meet him at Donwell Abbey and did not.
5. What mementos did Harriet keep of her brief courtship with Mr. Elton?
(a) A piece of plaster from an injured finger and a riddle.
(b) A glass he used and a pencil.
(c) A cigarette butt and a riddle.
(d) A pencil and a piece of plaster.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who volunteers to host the party while the problem is resolved?
2. What do Emma and Mr. Churchill discover they have in common?
3. What number of guests does Emma try to keep her party to in order to appease her father?
4. Who finds this decision on Miss Fairfax's part appalling?
5. Who is Emma afraid will not approve of Mr. George Knightley's solution to their problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Emma decide to throw a dinner party? Why does Emma insist on keeping the guest list down to eight names?
2. Who makes a nuisance of herself at Emma's dinner party? Why?
3. What reason does Emma have to not get married right away?
4. Who does Emma learn has passed away?
5. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
6. How does Miss Fairfax react to Emma's attempts to apologize for her past behavior?
7. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
8. Who thinks the living arrangements Emma and Mr. Knightley have come up with are improper?
9. What prompts the Westons to return to their plans to throw a ball?
10. What convinces Emma she is not in love with Mr. Churchill? Who does Emma think would be a good match for Mr. Churchill?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)