|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Harriet announce she never plans to marry?
(a) Harriet wants to be just like Emma.
(b) Harriet is tired of attempting to seduce men.
(c) Harriet feels she is not worthy of a good man.
(d) Harriet feels she will only love Mr. Elton.
2. What is the result of this meeting between Harriet and a visitor from Highbury?
(a) Mr. Elton suggests he made the wrong choice in wives.
(b) Mr. Churchill confesses he paid the gypsies to rob Harriet.
(c) Miss Fairfax accuses Harriet of attempting to steal Mr. Churchill away.
(d) Mr. Martin proposes again.
3. Why does Emma tell herself she is anxious to see Mr. Churchill?
(a) She worries he might be in love with her.
(b) She wants to renew their friendship.
(c) She wants to prove to herself that she is not in love with him.
(d) She worries that he believes she loves him.
4. What game does Emma play with Mr. Churchill after tea at Hartfield?
(a) A riddle game with alphabet letters.
(b) A card game.
5. How does Mr. Woodhouse respond to Emma's engagement?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He is unhappy.
(c) He does not want Emma to marry at all.
(d) He feels Mr. Knightley is not appropriate for his daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What letter does Emma force Mr. George Knightley to read?
2. How is the humiliation of Harriet smoothed over?
3. Why does Emma believe she faces a future without friends?
4. Why does Emma send Harriet away?
5. What is Emma's opinion of the new bride?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emma react when she sees Mr. Churchill again?
2. Who does Emma decide to match Harriet with next?
3. What reason does Emma have to not get married right away?
4. Why does Mr. Knightley dislike Mr. Churchill? Does this influence the comments he makes to Emma regarding Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
5. What does Emma learn when she visits the Bateses after Mrs. Elton's party at Box Hill?
6. How does Miss Fairfax react to Emma's attempts to apologize for her past behavior?
7. Why does Emma decide to throw a dinner party? Why does Emma insist on keeping the guest list down to eight names?
8. Why does Mr. Woodhouse change his mind about Emma marrying Mr. Knightley?
9. Who complains about the accoutrements of the wedding as Emma and Mr. Knightley are wed?
10. What decision does Mr. Knightley make when Emma tells him why she cannot marry him immediately?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)