|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emma do to attempt to give Harriet and Mr. Elton time alone together?
(a) Breaks her shoelace.
(b) Breaks her dress strap.
(c) Pretends she lost a glove.
(d) Pretends she forgot her purse.
2. Who does Harriet run into while shopping in Highbury?
(a) Miss Fairfax.
(b) Mr. George Knightley.
(c) Elizabeth Martin and her brother.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Weston.
3. What visitors are the Woodhouses expecting for Christmas?
(a) Mr. John Knightley and his wife, Isabella.
(b) Mr. Elton.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Weston.
(d) Mr. Churchill.
4. What is Harriet's response?
(a) No, because the proposal in a letter is inappropriate.
(b) Yes, but only if Mrs. Goddard approves.
(c) No, because she does not like Mr. Martin.
(d) Yes, but only if Emma approves.
5. Who does not think highly of Mr. Churchill because of his recent inaction?
(a) Mrs. Weston.
(b) Mr. Weston.
(c) Mr. George Knightley.
(d) Mr. Woodhouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. John Knightley suggest is in love with Emma?
2. Why does Mr. Woodhouse request that Emma not dabble in matchmaking any longer?
3. What complaint does Mr. Woodhouse have regarding the food served at a dinner party at Hartfield?
4. Who do Emma and Harriet run into while Emma escorts Harriet to Ford's to buy fabric?
5. What does this riding companion confess to Emma on the ride home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mr. Knightley give the Bateses that causes Emma's curiosity to be aroused?
2. Whose engagement has the entire village talking?
3. Why do Mr. John Knightley and Mr. Woodhouse fight over dinner?
4. What does Mr. Elton do that causes Emma to change her mind about his manners?
5. Why does Harriet decline Mr. Martin's proposal?
6. Who does Emma want to pair with her neighbor, Mr. Elton, in a matchmaking attempt?
7. What is Mr. John Knightley's relationship to Emma? To Mr. Knightley?
8. Who asks Emma to save him the first two dances at the ball the Westons are planning?
9. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
10. How does Harriet react when Emma tells her that Mr. Elton declared his love for Emma? Why?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)