|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Emma take Harriet to visit in hopes of distracting her from her depression?
(a) The Westons.
(b) The Bates.
(c) The Goddards.
(d) The Knightleys.
2. Why was Miss Churchill, first wife of Mr. Weston, disowned by her family?
(a) She married a man they did not approve of.
(b) She got a divorce.
(c) She married a man below her social station.
(d) She got pregnant before she was married.
3. Who does Emma decide to avoid in the near future?
(a) Mr. Elton.
(c) Mr. Weston.
(d) Her father.
4. What does Emma do to attempt to give Harriet and Mr. Elton time alone together?
(a) Breaks her shoelace.
(b) Breaks her dress strap.
(c) Pretends she forgot her purse.
(d) Pretends she lost a glove.
5. What complaint does Mr. Woodhouse have regarding the food served at a dinner party at Hartfield?
(a) It is too cold.
(b) It is not wholesome enough.
(c) It is too salty.
(d) It is too wholesome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason is given for the invitation failing to arrive promptly?
2. What is all the gossip centering around this person about?
3. What is Harriet's response?
4. What does Emma believe the theme of the riddle is?
5. Who is the intended target of Emma's next attempt at matchmaking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Elton react when he learns Harriet cannot attend a party due to a sore throat?
2. What does Mr. Elton do that causes Emma to change her mind about his manners?
3. Why do Mr. John Knightley and Mr. Woodhouse fight over dinner?
4. Why does Harriet decline Mr. Martin's proposal?
5. Who does Harriet run into in town and later invites Harriet to have tea?
6. What change has occurred in the Woodhouse home recently?
7. Who does Emma want to pair with her neighbor, Mr. Elton, in a matchmaking attempt?
8. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
9. Who does Harriet want to be matched with?
10. Who does Emma believe the anonymous benefactor of a pianoforte for Miss Fairfax is?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)