|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. John Knightley suggest is in love with Emma?
(a) Mr. Martin.
(b) Mr. Elton.
(c) Mr. Weston.
(d) Mr. George Knightley.
2. What time limit does Emma place on Harriet's visit to Abbey Mill?
(a) One hour.
(b) One half hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Fifteen minutes.
3. What question is asked of Harriet in a letter she received from Mr. Martin?
(a) If she will have dinner with him.
(b) If she will marry him.
(c) If she will attend a ball with him.
(d) If she will go riding with him.
4. What concerns Mr. Woodhouse about this letter?
(a) That the author will not return.
(b) That the author is angry with him.
(c) That the author is lying about the destination.
(d) That the author is avoiding him.
5. Why does Emma believe her carriage companion made this confession?
(a) He is interested in her social station.
(b) He was playing games with her.
(c) He is hurt by the way she treats the people around her.
(d) He was drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at Highbury int he beginning of Volume 1, Chapter 11?
2. Who is having a party but fails to send the Woodhouses an invitation along with ones sent to the other families in Highbury?
3. Who does Emma decide to avoid in the near future?
4. How is Mr. George Knightley related to the Woodhouse family?
5. What news do Emma and Harriet receive that causes more excitement in Highbury?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
2. How does Harriet react when Emma tells her that Mr. Elton declared his love for Emma? Why?
3. What happens when Emma maneuvers to leave Mr. Elton and Harriet alone together?
4. What does Mr. Elton do that causes Emma to change her mind about his manners?
5. What visitor to the Bates household does Emma not want to see?
6. Who objects to Emma's friendship with Harriet?
7. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
8. Why does Mr. Churchill cancel his plans to visit the Westons? Why is Mrs. Weston upset by this?
9. Who does Emma want to pair with her neighbor, Mr. Elton, in a matchmaking attempt?
10. What long awaited visitor finally arrives in Highbury?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)