|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What recent wedding is the main topic of conversation?
(a) Harriet's to Mr. Martin.
(b) Harriet's to Mr. Elton.
(c) Miss Taylor's to Mr. Weston.
(d) Miss Taylor's to Mr. Knightley.
2. What is Emma's reaction to the implication that Mr. George Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax?
(a) Emma is thrilled because it will get both Mr. Knightley and Miss Fairfax out of her life.
(b) Emma is happy because she can see Miss Fairfax makes Mr. Knightley happy.
(c) Emma is upset because she does not think Miss Fairfax would make a good match for Mr. Knightley.
(d) Emma is upset because she wants the Knightley estate, Donwell Abbey, to go to her nephew.
3. Who does Mr. Churchill claim he is glad he did not dance with because her dancing is not as good as Emma's?
(b) Mrs. Weston.
(c) Miss Fairfax.
4. Why does Mr. Woodhouse request that Emma not dabble in matchmaking any longer?
(a) Emma has hurt too many people with her matching.
(b) Emma is bad at choosing mates for her friends.
(c) Emma's matches always end badly.
(d) Emma was the one to match Miss Taylor with her husband, Mr. Weston.
5. Why was Miss Churchill, first wife of Mr. Weston, disowned by her family?
(a) She got a divorce.
(b) She got pregnant before she was married.
(c) She married a man they did not approve of.
(d) She married a man below her social station.
Short Answer Questions
1. What visitors are the Woodhouses expecting for Christmas?
2. Who is Emma concerned about telling this confession to?
3. Who disapproves of Emma's friendship with Harriet?
4. How is Mr. George Knightley related to the Woodhouse family?
5. What gift has Mr. George Knightley made to the Bates that causes Emma to wonder about his intentions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
2. Why do Mr. John Knightley and Mr. Woodhouse fight over dinner?
3. What does Mr. Elton do that causes Emma to change her mind about his manners?
4. What long awaited visitor finally arrives in Highbury?
5. Why does Mr. Churchill abruptly leave Highbury? How does this make Emma feel?
6. Who does Harriet want to be matched with?
7. Who does Harriet run into in town and later invites Harriet to have tea?
8. Why does Mr. Churchill cancel his plans to visit the Westons? Why is Mrs. Weston upset by this?
9. What is Emma's initial reaction to Mr. Churchill?
10. Who asks Emma to save him the first two dances at the ball the Westons are planning?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)