|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Mr. George Knightley related to the Woodhouse family?
(a) He is the brother of Emma's sister.
(b) He is a cousin.
(c) He is the son of Emma's sister.
(d) He is the son of Mr. Woodhouse's sister.
2. How does Miss Fairfax respond to questions Emma asks about Mr. Churchill?
(a) With anger.
(b) With vague responses.
(c) With the assumption that Emma is in love with the mysterious stranger.
(d) With contempt.
3. What news do Emma and Harriet receive that causes more excitement in Highbury?
(a) Mrs. Weston is expecting her first child.
(b) Miss Fairfax is due to arrive in the morning.
(c) Mr. Churchill is finally to arrive.
(d) Miss Bates has gotten engaged.
4. For what reason does Mr. Churchill go to London shortly after his arrival?
(a) To get a haircut.
(b) To visit an old friend.
(c) To buy a new suit.
(d) To buy Emma a peice of jewelry.
5. What man is Harriet attracted to when Emma first befriends her?
(a) Mr. Elton.
(b) Mr. Martin.
(c) Mr. Knightley.
(d) Mr. Weston.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the intended target of Emma's next attempt at matchmaking?
2. Who offers Harriet advice about the question Mr. Martin asks?
3. Who believes this choice of vacation location was all wrong?
4. Who disapproves of Emma's friendship with Harriet?
5. Why was Miss Churchill, first wife of Mr. Weston, disowned by her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
2. Who objects to Emma's friendship with Harriet?
3. With whom does Emma leave the Randalls party?
4. What does Mr. Churchill do that causes Emma to rethink her opinion of him? How does it affect Mr. Knightley's opinion of Mr. Churchill?
5. What visitor to the Bates household does Emma not want to see?
6. What is Mr. John Knightley's relationship to Emma? To Mr. Knightley?
7. Who does Harriet run into in town and later invites Harriet to have tea?
8. Who does Emma want to pair with her neighbor, Mr. Elton, in a matchmaking attempt?
9. What causes a delay in the delivery of an invitation to the Coles' party for the Woodhouses?
10. How does Harriet react when Emma tells her that Mr. Elton declared his love for Emma? Why?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)