|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who would prefer to avoid all talk about Miss Fairfax?
(a) Miss Bates.
(b) Mrs. Cole.
2. Where does Mrs. Weston repeatedly attempt to persuade Emma to go?
(a) To have lunch at the Bates home.
(b) To have lunch with Mr. Churchill.
(c) To listen to Miss Fairfax play her new pianoforte.
(d) To go horseback riding with Mr. Elton and Mr. Churchill.
3. What is Harriet's response?
(a) Yes, but only if Emma approves.
(b) No, because the proposal in a letter is inappropriate.
(c) No, because she does not like Mr. Martin.
(d) Yes, but only if Mrs. Goddard approves.
4. Who is Emma concerned about telling this confession to?
(a) Miss Bates.
(b) Mrs. Goddard.
(c) Mrs. Weston.
5. Who else knows about the letter?
(a) Mr. Woodhouse.
(b) Mrs. Weston.
(c) Mr. George Knightley.
(d) Mrs. Goddard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What man is Harriet attracted to when Emma first befriends her?
2. Who does Emma take Harriet to visit in hopes of distracting her from her depression?
3. How does Emma meet Harriet?
4. What does Mr. Churchill try to make Miss Fairfax confess?
5. What question is asked of Harriet in a letter she received from Mr. Martin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet decline Mr. Martin's proposal?
2. Who proposes to Harriet? What is unusual about this proposal?
3. What does Mr. Elton do that causes Emma to change her mind about his manners?
4. Whose engagement has the entire village talking?
5. What change has occurred in the Woodhouse home recently?
6. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
7. What does Emma decide to do in order to bring Mr. Elton and Harriet together?
8. What long awaited visitor finally arrives in Highbury?
9. Who does Harriet want to be matched with?
10. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)