|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Bates' relationship to Miss Fairfax?
(a) She is her grandmother.
(b) She is her cousin.
(c) She is her aunt.
(d) She is her mother.
2. Who would prefer to avoid all talk about Miss Fairfax?
(b) Mrs. Cole.
(d) Miss Bates.
3. Who is kept from Mr. Woodhouse to prevent annoying him?
(a) Mr. George Knightley.
(b) Mr. Churchill.
(d) The grandchildren.
4. Who does Emma find herself alone with in the carriage ride home?
(a) Mr. Elton.
(b) Mr. Weston.
(c) Mr. George Knightley.
(d) Mr. Woodhouse.
5. Why was Miss Churchill, first wife of Mr. Weston, disowned by her family?
(a) She married a man below her social station.
(b) She got pregnant before she was married.
(c) She got a divorce.
(d) She married a man they did not approve of.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has recently left the Woodhouse home in order to marry?
2. What activity does Mr. Churchill confess to Emma that he loves?
3. What visitors are the Woodhouses expecting for Christmas?
4. Why does Emma insist on escorting Harriet to Ford's to buy fabric?
5. Who is Miss Bates, a frequent visitor to the Hartfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harriet react when Emma tells her that Mr. Elton declared his love for Emma? Why?
2. What caused Mr. Weston's first marriage to be an unhappy one?
3. What subject does Miss Fairfax refuse to elaborate on with Emma?
4. Who does Mr. John Knightley believe is in love with Emma?
5. Whose engagement has the entire village talking?
6. What long awaited visitor finally arrives in Highbury?
7. Who does Emma believe the anonymous benefactor of a pianoforte for Miss Fairfax is?
8. What causes a delay in the delivery of an invitation to the Coles' party for the Woodhouses?
9. What happens when Emma maneuvers to leave Mr. Elton and Harriet alone together?
10. What does Mr. Churchill do that causes Emma to rethink her opinion of him? How does it affect Mr. Knightley's opinion of Mr. Churchill?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)