|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has recently left the Woodhouse home in order to marry?
(a) Miss Taylor, Emma's governess.
(b) Mr. Woodhouse, Emma's father.
(c) Harriet, Emma's friend.
(d) Mr. Knightley, Emma's brother-in-law.
2. What fear does Mr. Churchill confide in Emma before he leaves?
(a) That he will be unable to return.
(b) That he has hurt his father's feelings by leaving.
(c) That he has created a poor reputation with Mr. George Knightley.
(d) That he will miss Emma greatly.
3. Who is the intended target of Emma's next attempt at matchmaking?
(a) Mr. Woodhouse.
(b) Miss Taylor.
(c) Mr. Elton.
(d) Mr. George Knightley.
4. Who believes this choice of vacation location was all wrong?
(a) Mr. John Knightley.
(b) Mr. George Knightley.
(c) Mr. Woodhouse.
5. What is the topic of conversation in the beginning moments of the party to which Emma attends in Volume 2, Chapter 8?
(a) The special attention Mr. George Knightley has been spending on the Bates and Miss Fairfax.
(b) The new pianoforte Miss Fairfax has received and its mysterioius benefactor.
(c) Mr. Dixon's recent marriage to the daughter of Miss Fairfax's benefactor.
(d) Mr. Churchill's trip to London.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has caused the delay of a character's visit to Highbury?
2. Who claims they will never get married?
3. Who is Colonel Campbell who provided for Miss Fairfax's education?
4. Who does Emma find herself alone with in the carriage ride home?
5. Who defends Mr. Churchill's actions in regards to his recent inaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Churchill cancel his plans to visit the Westons? Why is Mrs. Weston upset by this?
2. What is Emma's initial reaction to Mr. Churchill?
3. What did Mr. Knightley give the Bateses that causes Emma's curiosity to be aroused?
4. What causes a delay in the delivery of an invitation to the Coles' party for the Woodhouses?
5. Who does Harriet run into in town and later invites Harriet to have tea?
6. What is Mr. John Knightley's relationship to Emma? To Mr. Knightley?
7. Who does Emma want to pair with her neighbor, Mr. Elton, in a matchmaking attempt?
8. Who does Emma believe the anonymous benefactor of a pianoforte for Miss Fairfax is?
9. What long awaited visitor finally arrives in Highbury?
10. Why does Harriet decline Mr. Martin's proposal?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)