|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would Emma think Mr. Churchill's engagement might upset Harriet?
(a) Because Harriet is in love with Mr. Churchill.
(b) Because Harriet is depressed that everyone is getting married except her.
(c) Because Harriet dislikes Miss Fairfax.
(d) Because she has been trying to match Harriet and Mr. Churchill together.
2. Where does Emma send Harriet?
(a) To Bath to visit a resort.
(b) To London to stay with the John Knightley family.
(c) To Cambridge to attend classes.
(d) To Essex to visit family.
3. What does Emma question Mr. Knightley about as they discuss Miss Fairfax's new friendship?
(a) Whether Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Bates.
(b) If Mr. Knightley knows who Miss Fairfax is in love with.
(c) If Mr. Knightley knows who the donor of the pianoforte is.
(d) Whether Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax.
4. Who interrupts this visit, angry with Mr. George Knightley?
(a) Mr. Churchill.
(b) Mr. Weston.
(c) Mr. Elton.
(d) Mr. Woodhouse.
5. From what does Mr. Churchill save Harriet in Volume 3, Chapter 3?
(a) An attack by an unknown man.
(b) A broken carriage wheel.
(c) A fainting spell.
(d) A robbery by gypsies.
6. Who dies in Volume 3, Chapter 9?
(a) Mr. Woodhouse.
(b) Mr. Weston.
(c) Mr. Churchill.
(d) Mrs. Churchill, Mr. Churchill's aunt.
7. What does Mr. George Knightley confess to Emma?
(a) That he is in love with her.
(b) That he is in love with Harriet.
(c) That he is in love with Mrs. Elton.
(d) That he is in love with Miss Fairfax.
8. Where does Miss Fairfax intend to move to?
(a) Maple Grove.
9. What letter does Emma force Mr. George Knightley to read?
(a) A letter of apology from Mr. Churchill.
(b) A letter of friendship from Harriet.
(c) A love letter from Mr. Elton.
(d) A letter of praise from Mrs. Weston.
10. Why are Mr. Churchill's aunt and uncle moving to London?
(a) To provide a home for an orphaned cousin.
(b) To be closer to Highbury.
(c) To provide a warmer climate for the aunt's illness.
(d) To be closer to social season.
11. Who is the first of the three local couples to get married?
(a) Miss Bates and Mr. Elton.
(b) Harriet and Mr. Martin.
(c) Emma and Mr. George Knightley.
(d) Miss Fairfax and Mr. Churchill.
12. Who is Emma's next target in her matchmaking attempts on Harriet's behalf?
(a) Mr. Elton.
(b) Mr. Churchill.
(c) Mr. Martin.
(d) Mr. George Knightley.
13. Who does Harriet's father turn out to be?
(a) A wealthy tradesman.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A vicar.
14. What game does Emma play with Mr. Churchill after tea at Hartfield?
(c) A riddle game with alphabet letters.
(d) A card game.
15. What invitation do Emma and Mr. Knightley discuss as they walk in the garden at Hartfield?
(a) The invitation to Mr. Churchill's wedding.
(b) The invitation to Mrs. Weston's baby shower.
(c) The invitation to Mrs. Elton's picnic.
(d) The invitation to the Weston's party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What riddle does Mr. Churchill make for Miss Fairfax that makes her angry?
2. Who does Mr. Churchill call Emma's lovely friend in a letter he sends to Mr. and Mrs. Weston?
3. How does Emma feel when she sees Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
4. How does Emma react to the news?
5. Why does Emma believe Mr. Churchill is anxious when he visits her?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)