|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What visitor interrupts Emma's attempts at apologizing to this person she was previously unkind to?
(a) Mrs. Bates.
(b) Mrs. Elton.
(c) Miss Bates.
(d) Miss Fairfax.
2. Why is Emma happy about this incident in which Mr. Churchill has been forced to save Harriet?
(a) Emma believes it proves Mr. Churchill cares for Harriet.
(b) Emma believes it will help Harriet see that not all men are cruel.
(c) Emma believes it will aid in her matchmaking attempt between Harriet and Mr. Churchill.
(d) Emma believes it proves Harriet is worthy of the attentions of a gentleman like Mr. Churchill.
3. What does Emma believe Harriet would be if allowed to remain in Hartfield?
(a) A distraction.
(b) A good helper.
(c) Dead weight.
(d) A sounding board for wedding preparations.
4. How is the humiliation of Harriet smoothed over?
(a) Mr. Weston asks Mr. Elton to leave.
(b) Mr. George Knightley asks her to dance.
(c) Mr. Elton apologizes.
(d) Mr. Churchill asks her to dance.
5. How does Emma feel when she sees Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
(a) Emma forgives them.
(b) Emma refuses to attend their wedding.
(c) Emma is angry and leaves immediately.
(d) Emma is cordial, but not happy.
6. Why does Emma believe Mr. Churchill is anxious when he visits her?
(a) Emma believes he is concerned for his aunt.
(b) Emma believes he ia upset with something Mrs. Weston said.
(c) Emma believes he is no longer in love with her.
(d) Emma believes he is trying not to love her.
7. Why is Emma glad Harriet does not want to see her?
(a) Because she does not like her anymore.
(b) Because she is eager to stay away from such a depressing person.
(c) Because she hopes this means Harriet has met a man.
(d) Because she can continue to put off telling her about her engagement to Mr. George Knightley.
8. Who has gone to London and run into Harriet?
(a) Mr. Elton.
(b) Mr. Martin.
(c) Mr. Churchill.
(d) Miss Fairfax.
9. What solution does Mr. George Knightley come up with for Emma's reasons for delaying their wedding?
(a) Mr. George Knightley suggests he move into Hartfield.
(b) Mr. George Knighley suggests they find a woman to marry Mr. Woodhouse.
(c) Mr. George Knightley suggests Mr. Woodhouse go to live in London with Isabella.
(d) Mr. George Knightley suggests they hire a nurse for Mr. Woodhouse.
10. Why does Emma begin regretting her treatment of Miss Fairfax?
(a) Because she thinks flirting with Mr. Churchill hurt Miss Fairfax's feelings.
(b) Because she learns that Miss Fairfax regretted keeping her secret.
(c) Because she thinks Miss Fairfax would have made a better friend because it would not have been hard to make a love match for her.
(d) Because she wants to remain on Mr. Churchill's good side.
11. What letter does Emma force Mr. George Knightley to read?
(a) A letter of praise from Mrs. Weston.
(b) A love letter from Mr. Elton.
(c) A letter of apology from Mr. Churchill.
(d) A letter of friendship from Harriet.
12. Where does Emma send Harriet?
(a) To Bath to visit a resort.
(b) To Cambridge to attend classes.
(c) To London to stay with the John Knightley family.
(d) To Essex to visit family.
13. How does Mr. Woodhouse respond to Emma's engagement?
(a) He does not want Emma to marry at all.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He feels Mr. Knightley is not appropriate for his daughter.
(d) He is unhappy.
14. What mementos did Harriet keep of her brief courtship with Mr. Elton?
(a) A pencil and a piece of plaster.
(b) A piece of plaster from an injured finger and a riddle.
(c) A glass he used and a pencil.
(d) A cigarette butt and a riddle.
15. Who does Harriet's father turn out to be?
(a) A blacksmith.
(b) A vicar.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A wealthy tradesman.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what town does Mr. Churchill move with his aunt and uncle?
2. What is Emma's opinion of the new bride?
3. Who is Emma's next target in her matchmaking attempts on Harriet's behalf?
4. Why does Emma decide to host a party at Hartfield?
5. What news does Mr. Weston bring that causes Emma some agitation?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)