|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mr. Knightley concerned about Mr. Churchill's interest in Emma?
(a) Because he simply does not like him.
(b) Because he is also flirting with Miss Fairfax.
(c) Because he is unreliable and untrustworthy.
(d) Because he loves Emma himself.
2. Where does Miss Fairfax intend to move to?
(d) Maple Grove.
3. Who does Harriet confess that she really loves?
(a) Mr. Martin.
(b) Mr. George Knightley.
(c) Mr. Weston.
(d) Mr. Elton.
4. How does Mr. Woodhouse respond to Emma's engagement?
(a) He does not want Emma to marry at all.
(b) He feels Mr. Knightley is not appropriate for his daughter.
(c) He is unhappy.
(d) He is excited.
5. Who does Emma reach out to, and is rebuffed, when she learns of this person's illness?
(b) Mr. Churchill.
(c) Miss Fairfax.
(d) Mrs. Weston.
6. Who is the first of the three local couples to get married?
(a) Harriet and Mr. Martin.
(b) Emma and Mr. George Knightley.
(c) Miss Bates and Mr. Elton.
(d) Miss Fairfax and Mr. Churchill.
7. What number of guests does Emma try to keep her party to in order to appease her father?
8. Who continues to be unpleasant and make rude comments, even at Emma's wedding?
(a) Mrs. Weston.
(b) Mr. Elton.
(c) Mrs. Elton.
(d) Miss Fairfax.
9. How is the humiliation of Harriet smoothed over?
(a) Mr. Churchill asks her to dance.
(b) Mr. Elton apologizes.
(c) Mr. George Knightley asks her to dance.
(d) Mr. Weston asks Mr. Elton to leave.
10. What does Mr. George Knightley think of Mr. Churchill now, in light of his secret?
(a) Mr. George Knightley still thinks Mr. Churchill is irresponsible and unkind.
(b) Mr. Knightley believes Mr. Churchill used Emma and therefore is a poor husband for Miss Fairfax.
(c) Mr. Knightley regrets his attitude toward Mr. Churchill and hopes they can become friends.
(d) Mr. Knightley has changed his mind and begun to think Mr. Churchill is a kind man.
11. Why did Mrs. Weston believe this news would upset Emma?
(a) She though Emma disliked Mr. Martin and believed him to be below Harriet.
(b) She thought Emma was in love with Mr. Churchill.
(c) She though Emma disliked Miss Fairfax and would not want to see her married to Mr. Churchill.
(d) She thought Emma would be frightened to attend her baby's birth.
12. What type of robberies are taking place in Highbury?
(a) Home invasions.
(b) Barn thefts.
(c) Roadside burglaries.
(d) Poultry house robberies.
13. Why does Emma begin regretting her treatment of Miss Fairfax?
(a) Because she thinks flirting with Mr. Churchill hurt Miss Fairfax's feelings.
(b) Because she learns that Miss Fairfax regretted keeping her secret.
(c) Because she wants to remain on Mr. Churchill's good side.
(d) Because she thinks Miss Fairfax would have made a better friend because it would not have been hard to make a love match for her.
14. What event does Emma feel should take place before she can marry?
(a) The birth of Mrs. Weston's child.
(b) Her father's death.
(c) Harriet's wedding.
(d) Miss Fairfax's wedding.
15. Why does Emma believe she cannot move to Donwell Abbey after she marries Mr. George Knightley?
(a) Because Donwell Abbey is too large for her to care for along with her father.
(b) Because she cannot imagine leaving Hartfield or her father.
(c) Because she does not like Donwell Abbey and neither does her father.
(d) Because her father would not be able to move there and cannot be left alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What visitor interrupts Emma's attempts at apologizing to this person she was previously unkind to?
2. What causes Emma to suspect she might be in love with Mr. Churchill?
3. What does Emma question Mr. Knightley about as they discuss Miss Fairfax's new friendship?
4. What game does Emma play with Mr. Churchill after tea at Hartfield?
5. How does Emma respond to the news from Harriet?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)