|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Emma react to the news?
(a) Happy that the truth has finally been revealed.
(b) Angry that someone would keep a secret from her.
(c) Excited at the prospect of a wedding.
(d) Shocked by the secret, but pleased for Mr. Churchill.
2. Who has a baby in Volume 3, Chapter 17?
(a) Mrs. Weston.
(b) Miss Fairfax.
(c) Mrs. Goddard.
(d) Mrs. Elton.
3. What does Emma question Mr. Knightley about as they discuss Miss Fairfax's new friendship?
(a) If Mr. Knightley knows who Miss Fairfax is in love with.
(b) Whether Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Bates.
(c) Whether Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax.
(d) If Mr. Knightley knows who the donor of the pianoforte is.
4. What letter does Emma force Mr. George Knightley to read?
(a) A letter of apology from Mr. Churchill.
(b) A letter of friendship from Harriet.
(c) A love letter from Mr. Elton.
(d) A letter of praise from Mrs. Weston.
5. Why does Emma decide to host a party at Hartfield?
(a) To celebrate Mr. Churchill's return.
(b) To please her father.
(c) To avoid appearing rude.
(d) To attempt to befriend Mrs. Elton.
6. Why does Harriet announce she never plans to marry?
(a) Harriet wants to be just like Emma.
(b) Harriet feels she will only love Mr. Elton.
(c) Harriet is tired of attempting to seduce men.
(d) Harriet feels she is not worthy of a good man.
7. Who does Mr. Churchill call Emma's lovely friend in a letter he sends to Mr. and Mrs. Weston?
(b) Miss Bates.
(c) Mrs. Weston.
(d) Miss Fairfax.
8. Why is Emma glad Harriet does not want to see her?
(a) Because she is eager to stay away from such a depressing person.
(b) Because she does not like her anymore.
(c) Because she can continue to put off telling her about her engagement to Mr. George Knightley.
(d) Because she hopes this means Harriet has met a man.
9. Why does Emma send Harriet away?
(a) To protect her from learning of Emma's engagement to Mr. George Knightley.
(b) Because she is tired of spending time with her.
(c) To keep her from ruining Emma's wedding plans.
(d) Because she wants to protect her from all the wedding plans taking place around her, to keep her from becoming depressed.
10. What do the Bateses and Miss Fairfax seem to know a lot about?
(a) Mr. Elton's personal business.
(b) Mr. Woodhouse's narocies.
(c) Mr. Knightley's business associations.
(d) Mr. Churchill's comings and goings.
11. Where does Miss Fairfax intend to move to?
(d) Maple Grove.
12. What game does Emma play with Mr. Churchill after tea at Hartfield?
(a) A riddle game with alphabet letters.
(b) A card game.
13. What does Mr. John Knightley say that causes Emma to be amused?
(a) That he believes his brother is in love with her.
(b) That he believes she should marry soon.
(c) That he believes she is in love with Mr. Churchill.
(d) That he believes her to be very busy socially.
14. Why does Emma believe she faces a future without friends?
(a) Because Mrs. Elton is spreading bad gossip about her, scaring everyone away.
(b) Because everyone is getting married and having babies, keeping them too busy to visit.
(c) Because she has offended too many people with her conceit.
(d) Because she has decided she no longer wants to have friends around.
15. Who is the first of the three local couples to get married?
(a) Miss Bates and Mr. Elton.
(b) Harriet and Mr. Martin.
(c) Miss Fairfax and Mr. Churchill.
(d) Emma and Mr. George Knightley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What visitor interrupts Emma's attempts at apologizing to this person she was previously unkind to?
2. What does Mr. George Knightley confess to Emma?
3. Why are Mr. Churchill's aunt and uncle moving to London?
4. Why does Emma tell herself she is anxious to see Mr. Churchill?
5. Why does Emma begin regretting her treatment of Miss Fairfax?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)