|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Emma make a harmless, but rude comment about?
(a) Mrs. Elton.
(b) Miss Bates.
(c) Miss Fairfax.
(d) Mrs. Weston.
2. Why does Emma believe she faces a future without friends?
(a) Because she has decided she no longer wants to have friends around.
(b) Because she has offended too many people with her conceit.
(c) Because Mrs. Elton is spreading bad gossip about her, scaring everyone away.
(d) Because everyone is getting married and having babies, keeping them too busy to visit.
3. Who befriends Miss Fairfax in the beginning of Volume 2, Chapter 15?
(a) Mrs. Weston.
(d) Mrs. Elton.
4. Who does Harriet confess that she really loves?
(a) Mr. George Knightley.
(b) Mr. Elton.
(c) Mr. Weston.
(d) Mr. Martin.
5. Who does Emma regret attempting to play matchmaker with?
(a) Mrs. Weston.
(c) Mr. Churchill.
(d) Mr. Elton.
6. Why is Emma happy about this incident in which Mr. Churchill has been forced to save Harriet?
(a) Emma believes it will aid in her matchmaking attempt between Harriet and Mr. Churchill.
(b) Emma believes it proves Mr. Churchill cares for Harriet.
(c) Emma believes it proves Harriet is worthy of the attentions of a gentleman like Mr. Churchill.
(d) Emma believes it will help Harriet see that not all men are cruel.
7. What does Mr. George Knightley think of Mr. Churchill now, in light of his secret?
(a) Mr. George Knightley still thinks Mr. Churchill is irresponsible and unkind.
(b) Mr. Knightley regrets his attitude toward Mr. Churchill and hopes they can become friends.
(c) Mr. Knightley believes Mr. Churchill used Emma and therefore is a poor husband for Miss Fairfax.
(d) Mr. Knightley has changed his mind and begun to think Mr. Churchill is a kind man.
8. Who is Emma afraid will not approve of Mr. George Knightley's solution to their problem?
(a) Mr. Woodhouse.
(b) Mr. Elton.
(c) Mr. John Knightley.
(d) Mr. William Larkin.
9. Where do Emma and Mr. Knightley go to visit in Volume 3, Chapter 18?
(a) To the Bates to see Miss Fairfox.
(b) To Crowns to visit with an out of town cousin.
(c) The Randalls to see the Westons.
(d) To Donwell Abbey to measure the windows.
10. Who does Mr. Churchill dance the first two dances of the Crown's ball with?
(a) Miss Fairfax.
(b) Mrs. Elton.
(c) Mrs. Weston.
11. Why did Mrs. Weston believe this news would upset Emma?
(a) She thought Emma was in love with Mr. Churchill.
(b) She though Emma disliked Miss Fairfax and would not want to see her married to Mr. Churchill.
(c) She thought Emma would be frightened to attend her baby's birth.
(d) She though Emma disliked Mr. Martin and believed him to be below Harriet.
12. How is the humiliation of Harriet smoothed over?
(a) Mr. George Knightley asks her to dance.
(b) Mr. Churchill asks her to dance.
(c) Mr. Weston asks Mr. Elton to leave.
(d) Mr. Elton apologizes.
13. Who does Harriet's father turn out to be?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A wealthy tradesman.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A vicar.
14. What solution does Mr. George Knightley come up with for Emma's reasons for delaying their wedding?
(a) Mr. George Knightley suggests he move into Hartfield.
(b) Mr. George Knightley suggests Mr. Woodhouse go to live in London with Isabella.
(c) Mr. George Knighley suggests they find a woman to marry Mr. Woodhouse.
(d) Mr. George Knightley suggests they hire a nurse for Mr. Woodhouse.
15. How does Emma respond to the news from Harriet?
(a) Emma is uninterested.
(b) Emma is outraged.
(c) Emma is shocked.
(d) Emma is happy for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Emma and Miss Fairfax say to each other before Emma leaves?
2. Who claims Mr. Knightley protests Emma's question too much?
3. What is the urgent message Mrs. Weston has for Emma?
4. Why does Emma believe she cannot move to Donwell Abbey after she marries Mr. George Knightley?
5. What do Emma and Mr. Churchill discover they have in common?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)