|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game does Emma play at the picnic at Box Hill?
2. Where does Emma send Harriet?
(a) To Bath to visit a resort.
(b) To Essex to visit family.
(c) To Cambridge to attend classes.
(d) To London to stay with the John Knightley family.
3. Why do Emma and Mr. Knightley discuss this invitation?
(a) They are trying to decide if they should attend.
(b) They are discussing the unpleasantness of another day in Mrs. Elton's company.
(c) They are discussing the gift they should bring.
(d) They are both trying to discover how the other feels about the people involved.
4. Why is Emma happy about this incident in which Mr. Churchill has been forced to save Harriet?
(a) Emma believes it proves Mr. Churchill cares for Harriet.
(b) Emma believes it will aid in her matchmaking attempt between Harriet and Mr. Churchill.
(c) Emma believes it will help Harriet see that not all men are cruel.
(d) Emma believes it proves Harriet is worthy of the attentions of a gentleman like Mr. Churchill.
5. What is the urgent message Mrs. Weston has for Emma?
(a) That Miss Fairfax has eloped with Mr. Churchill.
(b) That Mrs. Weston is about to deliver her baby.
(c) That Mr. Churchill has been engaged to Miss Fairfax for months.
(d) That Harriet has become engaged to Mr. Martin.
6. Why is this person angry with Mr. George Knightley?
(a) Because Mr. Knightley accused him of cheating at cards.
(b) Because Mr. Knightley was supposed to meet him at Donwell Abbey and did not.
(c) Because Mr. Knightley cheated him in a business deal.
(d) Because Mr. Knightley stole his cow.
7. How does Mr. Woodhouse respond to Emma's engagement?
(a) He does not want Emma to marry at all.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He feels Mr. Knightley is not appropriate for his daughter.
(d) He is unhappy.
8. Why is Emma excited about this death in Volume 3, Chapter 9?
(a) Because it will mean a funeral and a reason for old friends to see each other.
(b) Because it will clear the way for Mr. Churchill to be married, hopefullly to Harriet.
(c) Because it will mean a trip to London.
(d) Because the old woman was mean and her death will free everyone around her.
9. Why would Emma think Mr. Churchill's engagement might upset Harriet?
(a) Because Harriet is in love with Mr. Churchill.
(b) Because she has been trying to match Harriet and Mr. Churchill together.
(c) Because Harriet is depressed that everyone is getting married except her.
(d) Because Harriet dislikes Miss Fairfax.
10. Why is Mrs. Elton's picnic at Box Hill delayed?
(a) A lame carriage horse.
(b) A broken carriage wheel.
(c) A rainstorm.
(d) A servant strike.
11. Why is Emma glad Harriet does not want to see her?
(a) Because she hopes this means Harriet has met a man.
(b) Because she is eager to stay away from such a depressing person.
(c) Because she can continue to put off telling her about her engagement to Mr. George Knightley.
(d) Because she does not like her anymore.
12. What letter does Emma force Mr. George Knightley to read?
(a) A love letter from Mr. Elton.
(b) A letter of praise from Mrs. Weston.
(c) A letter of apology from Mr. Churchill.
(d) A letter of friendship from Harriet.
13. Why are Mr. Churchill's aunt and uncle moving to London?
(a) To be closer to social season.
(b) To be closer to Highbury.
(c) To provide a home for an orphaned cousin.
(d) To provide a warmer climate for the aunt's illness.
14. What does Mr. George Knightley confess to Emma?
(a) That he is in love with Mrs. Elton.
(b) That he is in love with her.
(c) That he is in love with Harriet.
(d) That he is in love with Miss Fairfax.
15. Who has gone to London and run into Harriet?
(a) Miss Fairfax.
(b) Mr. Elton.
(c) Mr. Martin.
(d) Mr. Churchill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What visitor interrupts Emma's attempts at apologizing to this person she was previously unkind to?
2. Why is Emma put off with Mr. Churchill at this party?
3. Who does Emma reach out to, and is rebuffed, when she learns of this person's illness?
4. Why is Mr. Knightley concerned about Mr. Churchill's interest in Emma?
5. Why does Emma send Harriet away?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)