|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Emma send Harriet away?
(a) To protect her from learning of Emma's engagement to Mr. George Knightley.
(b) Because she wants to protect her from all the wedding plans taking place around her, to keep her from becoming depressed.
(c) To keep her from ruining Emma's wedding plans.
(d) Because she is tired of spending time with her.
2. What causes the number to unavoidably increase to nine?
(a) Harriet's illness.
(b) Mr. John Knightley's unexpected arrival.
(c) Mr. Elton is called out of town for business.
(d) Mr. Weston ends his business early and is able to attend despite an earlier refusal.
3. How does the revelation of the father of Harriet change her social status upon her marriage?
(a) It means Harriet can no longer spend time with Emma and her other friends.
(b) Her father ensures that Harriet will remain a part of high society despite marrying a farmer.
(c) It means her intended marriage is below her and cannot take place.
(d) It has no affect.
4. Why does Emma tell herself she is anxious to see Mr. Churchill?
(a) She wants to renew their friendship.
(b) She wants to prove to herself that she is not in love with him.
(c) She worries that he believes she loves him.
(d) She worries he might be in love with her.
5. What does Mrs. Elton constantly compare Highbury to?
(a) London society.
(c) Her home, Maple Grove.
6. Why does Emma believe Mr. Churchill is anxious when he visits her?
(a) Emma believes he ia upset with something Mrs. Weston said.
(b) Emma believes he is concerned for his aunt.
(c) Emma believes he is trying not to love her.
(d) Emma believes he is no longer in love with her.
7. What number of guests does Emma try to keep her party to in order to appease her father?
8. Why does Emma try to keep word of the incident from her father?
(a) Emma is afraid he will want to fix the situation himself.
(b) Emma knows it will only upset him.
(c) Emma knows her father will not approve of Harriet being alone with Mr. Churchill.
(d) Emma worries it will cause her father to become ill.
9. What do Emma and Miss Fairfax say to each other before Emma leaves?
(a) To be one another's maid of honor.
(b) To never speak again.
(c) To never fight again.
(d) To be friends.
10. What does Emma believe Harriet would be if allowed to remain in Hartfield?
(a) Dead weight.
(b) A good helper.
(c) A sounding board for wedding preparations.
(d) A distraction.
11. What event does Emma feel should take place before she can marry?
(a) Harriet's wedding.
(b) The birth of Mrs. Weston's child.
(c) Her father's death.
(d) Miss Fairfax's wedding.
12. What riddle does Mr. Churchill make for Miss Fairfax that makes her angry?
(a) The name Emma.
(b) The phrase old maid.
(c) The word governess.
(d) The name Dixon.
13. Who does Emma make a harmless, but rude comment about?
(a) Miss Fairfax.
(b) Mrs. Elton.
(c) Mrs. Weston.
(d) Miss Bates.
14. Why does Emma believe she cannot move to Donwell Abbey after she marries Mr. George Knightley?
(a) Because Donwell Abbey is too large for her to care for along with her father.
(b) Because she cannot imagine leaving Hartfield or her father.
(c) Because her father would not be able to move there and cannot be left alone.
(d) Because she does not like Donwell Abbey and neither does her father.
15. What game does Emma play at the picnic at Box Hill?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts this visit, angry with Mr. George Knightley?
2. Who is finally married in Volume 2, Chapter 14?
3. What do the Bateses and Miss Fairfax seem to know a lot about?
4. Where do Emma and Mr. Knightley go to visit in Volume 3, Chapter 18?
5. Who does Emma reach out to, and is rebuffed, when she learns of this person's illness?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)