|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What solution does Mr. George Knightley come up with for Emma's reasons for delaying their wedding?
(a) Mr. George Knightley suggests he move into Hartfield.
(b) Mr. George Knightley suggests Mr. Woodhouse go to live in London with Isabella.
(c) Mr. George Knightley suggests they hire a nurse for Mr. Woodhouse.
(d) Mr. George Knighley suggests they find a woman to marry Mr. Woodhouse.
2. Why is Emma glad Harriet does not want to see her?
(a) Because she hopes this means Harriet has met a man.
(b) Because she does not like her anymore.
(c) Because she can continue to put off telling her about her engagement to Mr. George Knightley.
(d) Because she is eager to stay away from such a depressing person.
3. Where does Emma send Harriet?
(a) To London to stay with the John Knightley family.
(b) To Essex to visit family.
(c) To Cambridge to attend classes.
(d) To Bath to visit a resort.
4. How is the humiliation of Harriet smoothed over?
(a) Mr. George Knightley asks her to dance.
(b) Mr. Elton apologizes.
(c) Mr. Weston asks Mr. Elton to leave.
(d) Mr. Churchill asks her to dance.
5. Who volunteers to host the party while the problem is resolved?
(a) Mr. Weston.
(b) Mr. Churchill.
(c) Mr. Woodhouse.
(d) Mr. Knightley.
6. Why is Mrs. Elton's picnic at Box Hill delayed?
(a) A broken carriage wheel.
(b) A servant strike.
(c) A lame carriage horse.
(d) A rainstorm.
7. What does Harriet think of the newly married couple?
(a) Harriet is depressed, convinced she will never be married.
(b) Harriet is jealous of their union.
(c) Harriet is happy they found happiness.
(d) Harriet is happy there is one less man for Emma to match her with.
8. Why are Mr. Churchill's aunt and uncle moving to London?
(a) To be closer to social season.
(b) To be closer to Highbury.
(c) To provide a warmer climate for the aunt's illness.
(d) To provide a home for an orphaned cousin.
9. How does Emma respond to the news from Harriet?
(a) Emma is uninterested.
(b) Emma is shocked.
(c) Emma is outraged.
(d) Emma is happy for her.
10. What does Emma question Mr. Knightley about as they discuss Miss Fairfax's new friendship?
(a) If Mr. Knightley knows who the donor of the pianoforte is.
(b) If Mr. Knightley knows who Miss Fairfax is in love with.
(c) Whether Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax.
(d) Whether Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Bates.
11. Who does Emma deduce Harriet is in love with?
(a) Mr. Elton.
(b) Mr. Martin.
(c) Mr. George Knightley.
(d) Mr. Churchill.
12. What event does Emma feel should take place before she can marry?
(a) Her father's death.
(b) Miss Fairfax's wedding.
(c) Harriet's wedding.
(d) The birth of Mrs. Weston's child.
13. Who does Harriet's father turn out to be?
(a) A blacksmith.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A vicar.
(d) A wealthy tradesman.
14. Who is Emma afraid will not approve of Mr. George Knightley's solution to their problem?
(a) Mr. Elton.
(b) Mr. John Knightley.
(c) Mr. William Larkin.
(d) Mr. Woodhouse.
15. What does Emma believe Harriet would be if allowed to remain in Hartfield?
(a) Dead weight.
(b) A good helper.
(c) A sounding board for wedding preparations.
(d) A distraction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Emma's opinion of the new bride?
2. Who interrupts this visit, angry with Mr. George Knightley?
3. What type of robberies are taking place in Highbury?
4. Who does Emma reach out to, and is rebuffed, when she learns of this person's illness?
5. How does Emma react to the news?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)