|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Emma and Mr. Knightley discuss this invitation?
(a) They are discussing the gift they should bring.
(b) They are trying to decide if they should attend.
(c) They are discussing the unpleasantness of another day in Mrs. Elton's company.
(d) They are both trying to discover how the other feels about the people involved.
2. What game does Emma play at the picnic at Box Hill?
3. Who does Emma deduce Harriet is in love with?
(a) Mr. George Knightley.
(b) Mr. Churchill.
(c) Mr. Martin.
(d) Mr. Elton.
4. What do Emma and Mr. Churchill discover they have in common?
(a) Their taste in food.
(b) Their plans for their mutual weddings.
(c) Many of their thoughts and opinions.
5. Why does Emma begin regretting her treatment of Miss Fairfax?
(a) Because she thinks flirting with Mr. Churchill hurt Miss Fairfax's feelings.
(b) Because she wants to remain on Mr. Churchill's good side.
(c) Because she thinks Miss Fairfax would have made a better friend because it would not have been hard to make a love match for her.
(d) Because she learns that Miss Fairfax regretted keeping her secret.
6. Why does Emma tell herself she is anxious to see Mr. Churchill?
(a) She wants to prove to herself that she is not in love with him.
(b) She worries he might be in love with her.
(c) She worries that he believes she loves him.
(d) She wants to renew their friendship.
7. What does Mr. George Knightley think of Mr. Churchill now, in light of his secret?
(a) Mr. Knightley believes Mr. Churchill used Emma and therefore is a poor husband for Miss Fairfax.
(b) Mr. George Knightley still thinks Mr. Churchill is irresponsible and unkind.
(c) Mr. Knightley regrets his attitude toward Mr. Churchill and hopes they can become friends.
(d) Mr. Knightley has changed his mind and begun to think Mr. Churchill is a kind man.
8. How does Mr. Woodhouse respond to Emma's engagement?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He does not want Emma to marry at all.
(c) He feels Mr. Knightley is not appropriate for his daughter.
(d) He is unhappy.
9. What causes the number to unavoidably increase to nine?
(a) Mr. John Knightley's unexpected arrival.
(b) Harriet's illness.
(c) Mr. Elton is called out of town for business.
(d) Mr. Weston ends his business early and is able to attend despite an earlier refusal.
10. How is the humiliation of Harriet smoothed over?
(a) Mr. Churchill asks her to dance.
(b) Mr. George Knightley asks her to dance.
(c) Mr. Weston asks Mr. Elton to leave.
(d) Mr. Elton apologizes.
11. What is the result of this meeting between Harriet and a visitor from Highbury?
(a) Mr. Churchill confesses he paid the gypsies to rob Harriet.
(b) Miss Fairfax accuses Harriet of attempting to steal Mr. Churchill away.
(c) Mr. Elton suggests he made the wrong choice in wives.
(d) Mr. Martin proposes again.
12. To what town does Mr. Churchill move with his aunt and uncle?
13. Why does Emma decide to host a party at Hartfield?
(a) To attempt to befriend Mrs. Elton.
(b) To avoid appearing rude.
(c) To celebrate Mr. Churchill's return.
(d) To please her father.
14. Where does Miss Fairfax intend to move to?
(d) Maple Grove.
15. What is Mr. Knightley's fear for this new baby?
(a) That she will be spoiled.
(b) That she will be teased by other children.
(c) That she will be neglected.
(d) That she will be uneducated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who befriends Miss Fairfax in the beginning of Volume 2, Chapter 15?
2. Why is Mrs. Elton's picnic at Box Hill delayed?
3. What does Mrs. Elton constantly compare Highbury to?
4. Who does Harriet's father turn out to be?
5. Who has a baby in Volume 3, Chapter 17?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)