|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Emma put off with Mr. Churchill at this party?
(a) He only attends the party for a moment and then rushes off to have his haircut in London.
(b) He spends all his time talking to Miss Fairfax.
(c) He is rude and leaves the party early.
(d) He is angry and at first refuses to attend the picnic at Box Hill.
2. How does the revelation of the father of Harriet change her social status upon her marriage?
(a) It means her intended marriage is below her and cannot take place.
(b) It means Harriet can no longer spend time with Emma and her other friends.
(c) Her father ensures that Harriet will remain a part of high society despite marrying a farmer.
(d) It has no affect.
3. What game does Emma play with Mr. Churchill after tea at Hartfield?
(a) A card game.
(d) A riddle game with alphabet letters.
4. Why does Emma believe she faces a future without friends?
(a) Because everyone is getting married and having babies, keeping them too busy to visit.
(b) Because Mrs. Elton is spreading bad gossip about her, scaring everyone away.
(c) Because she has offended too many people with her conceit.
(d) Because she has decided she no longer wants to have friends around.
5. What does Mr. John Knightley say that causes Emma to be amused?
(a) That he believes she is in love with Mr. Churchill.
(b) That he believes her to be very busy socially.
(c) That he believes she should marry soon.
(d) That he believes his brother is in love with her.
6. What does Mrs. Elton constantly compare Highbury to?
(b) London society.
(d) Her home, Maple Grove.
7. Who dies in Volume 3, Chapter 9?
(a) Mrs. Churchill, Mr. Churchill's aunt.
(b) Mr. Weston.
(c) Mr. Woodhouse.
(d) Mr. Churchill.
8. What does Mr. George Knightley think of Mr. Churchill now, in light of his secret?
(a) Mr. George Knightley still thinks Mr. Churchill is irresponsible and unkind.
(b) Mr. Knightley believes Mr. Churchill used Emma and therefore is a poor husband for Miss Fairfax.
(c) Mr. Knightley has changed his mind and begun to think Mr. Churchill is a kind man.
(d) Mr. Knightley regrets his attitude toward Mr. Churchill and hopes they can become friends.
9. Why do Emma and Mr. Knightley discuss this invitation?
(a) They are discussing the unpleasantness of another day in Mrs. Elton's company.
(b) They are both trying to discover how the other feels about the people involved.
(c) They are discussing the gift they should bring.
(d) They are trying to decide if they should attend.
10. What does Mr. George Knightley confess to Emma?
(a) That he is in love with Miss Fairfax.
(b) That he is in love with Mrs. Elton.
(c) That he is in love with Harriet.
(d) That he is in love with her.
11. What solution does Mr. George Knightley come up with for Emma's reasons for delaying their wedding?
(a) Mr. George Knighley suggests they find a woman to marry Mr. Woodhouse.
(b) Mr. George Knightley suggests he move into Hartfield.
(c) Mr. George Knightley suggests they hire a nurse for Mr. Woodhouse.
(d) Mr. George Knightley suggests Mr. Woodhouse go to live in London with Isabella.
12. Why are Mr. Churchill's aunt and uncle moving to London?
(a) To provide a home for an orphaned cousin.
(b) To be closer to social season.
(c) To be closer to Highbury.
(d) To provide a warmer climate for the aunt's illness.
13. Why does Emma decide to host a party at Hartfield?
(a) To please her father.
(b) To attempt to befriend Mrs. Elton.
(c) To celebrate Mr. Churchill's return.
(d) To avoid appearing rude.
14. Who becomes ill, causing Emma plenty of time to think of her regrets?
(a) Mr. Churchill.
(b) Mr. Woodhouse.
(d) Mr. George Knightley.
15. What is Mr. John Knightley's response to Emma's engagement?
(a) That it is a poor match.
(b) That it is an exciting prospect.
(c) That Emma has done well, but he is unsure about his brother.
(d) That Emma is the wrong choice for his brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Knightley concerned about Mr. Churchill's interest in Emma?
2. Who has gone to London and run into Harriet?
3. Who does Harriet's father turn out to be?
4. Who does Mr. Churchill dance the first two dances of the Crown's ball with?
5. What type of robberies are taking place in Highbury?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)