|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Weston believe this news would upset Emma?
(a) She though Emma disliked Miss Fairfax and would not want to see her married to Mr. Churchill.
(b) She thought Emma would be frightened to attend her baby's birth.
(c) She though Emma disliked Mr. Martin and believed him to be below Harriet.
(d) She thought Emma was in love with Mr. Churchill.
2. Why does Emma believe she cannot move to Donwell Abbey after she marries Mr. George Knightley?
(a) Because she cannot imagine leaving Hartfield or her father.
(b) Because her father would not be able to move there and cannot be left alone.
(c) Because she does not like Donwell Abbey and neither does her father.
(d) Because Donwell Abbey is too large for her to care for along with her father.
3. What is Mr. John Knightley's response to Emma's engagement?
(a) That Emma is the wrong choice for his brother.
(b) That it is a poor match.
(c) That Emma has done well, but he is unsure about his brother.
(d) That it is an exciting prospect.
4. Why are Mr. Churchill's aunt and uncle moving to London?
(a) To provide a warmer climate for the aunt's illness.
(b) To provide a home for an orphaned cousin.
(c) To be closer to Highbury.
(d) To be closer to social season.
5. Why does Emma begin regretting her treatment of Miss Fairfax?
(a) Because she learns that Miss Fairfax regretted keeping her secret.
(b) Because she thinks flirting with Mr. Churchill hurt Miss Fairfax's feelings.
(c) Because she wants to remain on Mr. Churchill's good side.
(d) Because she thinks Miss Fairfax would have made a better friend because it would not have been hard to make a love match for her.
6. How does Emma respond to the news from Harriet?
(a) Emma is uninterested.
(b) Emma is shocked.
(c) Emma is happy for her.
(d) Emma is outraged.
7. What visitor interrupts Emma's attempts at apologizing to this person she was previously unkind to?
(a) Mrs. Bates.
(b) Miss Bates.
(c) Miss Fairfax.
(d) Mrs. Elton.
8. What riddle does Mr. Churchill make for Miss Fairfax that makes her angry?
(a) The name Dixon.
(b) The phrase old maid.
(c) The name Emma.
(d) The word governess.
9. Who continues to be unpleasant and make rude comments, even at Emma's wedding?
(a) Miss Fairfax.
(b) Mrs. Elton.
(c) Mr. Elton.
(d) Mrs. Weston.
10. To what town does Mr. Churchill move with his aunt and uncle?
11. Who does Emma reach out to, and is rebuffed, when she learns of this person's illness?
(a) Mrs. Weston.
(c) Mr. Churchill.
(d) Miss Fairfax.
12. Who is Emma's next target in her matchmaking attempts on Harriet's behalf?
(a) Mr. Churchill.
(b) Mr. George Knightley.
(c) Mr. Martin.
(d) Mr. Elton.
13. Why is Mrs. Elton's picnic at Box Hill delayed?
(a) A lame carriage horse.
(b) A rainstorm.
(c) A servant strike.
(d) A broken carriage wheel.
14. Who does Harriet's father turn out to be?
(a) A blacksmith.
(b) A vicar.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A wealthy tradesman.
15. What is the result of this meeting between Harriet and a visitor from Highbury?
(a) Mr. Martin proposes again.
(b) Mr. Churchill confesses he paid the gypsies to rob Harriet.
(c) Mr. Elton suggests he made the wrong choice in wives.
(d) Miss Fairfax accuses Harriet of attempting to steal Mr. Churchill away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harriet announce she never plans to marry?
2. What is Mr. Knightley's fear for this new baby?
3. What invitation do Emma and Mr. Knightley discuss as they walk in the garden at Hartfield?
4. What do Emma and Miss Fairfax say to each other before Emma leaves?
5. How does Emma feel when she sees Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)