|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What visitor interrupts Emma's attempts at apologizing to this person she was previously unkind to?
(a) Mrs. Bates.
(b) Miss Bates.
(c) Miss Fairfax.
(d) Mrs. Elton.
2. Where do Emma and Mr. Knightley go to visit in Volume 3, Chapter 18?
(a) The Randalls to see the Westons.
(b) To Donwell Abbey to measure the windows.
(c) To the Bates to see Miss Fairfox.
(d) To Crowns to visit with an out of town cousin.
3. Who does Emma decide to go visit in order to make an attempt at apologizing for past rudeness?
(a) Miss Bates.
(c) Mrs. Elton.
(d) Miss Fairfax.
4. Why does Emma believe she cannot move to Donwell Abbey after she marries Mr. George Knightley?
(a) Because Donwell Abbey is too large for her to care for along with her father.
(b) Because her father would not be able to move there and cannot be left alone.
(c) Because she does not like Donwell Abbey and neither does her father.
(d) Because she cannot imagine leaving Hartfield or her father.
5. Why is Emma put off with Mr. Churchill at this party?
(a) He is angry and at first refuses to attend the picnic at Box Hill.
(b) He only attends the party for a moment and then rushes off to have his haircut in London.
(c) He is rude and leaves the party early.
(d) He spends all his time talking to Miss Fairfax.
6. What is Mr. Knightley's fear for this new baby?
(a) That she will be uneducated.
(b) That she will be neglected.
(c) That she will be spoiled.
(d) That she will be teased by other children.
7. What is the baby named?
8. Who does Emma regret attempting to play matchmaker with?
(a) Mr. Elton.
(b) Mr. Churchill.
(d) Mrs. Weston.
9. Who does Mr. Churchill call Emma's lovely friend in a letter he sends to Mr. and Mrs. Weston?
(a) Mrs. Weston.
(b) Miss Fairfax.
(d) Miss Bates.
10. Who has a baby in Volume 3, Chapter 17?
(a) Mrs. Goddard.
(b) Mrs. Weston.
(c) Mrs. Elton.
(d) Miss Fairfax.
11. What do Emma and Mr. Churchill discover they have in common?
(b) Many of their thoughts and opinions.
(c) Their taste in food.
(d) Their plans for their mutual weddings.
12. Where does Miss Fairfax intend to move to?
(b) Maple Grove.
13. How does Mr. Woodhouse respond to Emma's engagement?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He does not want Emma to marry at all.
(c) He is unhappy.
(d) He feels Mr. Knightley is not appropriate for his daughter.
14. Why does Emma send Harriet away?
(a) To protect her from learning of Emma's engagement to Mr. George Knightley.
(b) Because she is tired of spending time with her.
(c) To keep her from ruining Emma's wedding plans.
(d) Because she wants to protect her from all the wedding plans taking place around her, to keep her from becoming depressed.
15. What solution does Mr. George Knightley come up with for Emma's reasons for delaying their wedding?
(a) Mr. George Knightley suggests he move into Hartfield.
(b) Mr. George Knightley suggests Mr. Woodhouse go to live in London with Isabella.
(c) Mr. George Knightley suggests they hire a nurse for Mr. Woodhouse.
(d) Mr. George Knighley suggests they find a woman to marry Mr. Woodhouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. George Knightley confess to Emma?
2. What causes Emma to suspect she might be in love with Mr. Churchill?
3. Why does Emma believe Mr. Churchill is anxious when he visits her?
4. How is the humiliation of Harriet smoothed over?
5. Who finds this decision on Miss Fairfax's part appalling?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)