|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies in Volume 3, Chapter 9?
(a) Mr. Churchill.
(b) Mr. Woodhouse.
(c) Mr. Weston.
(d) Mrs. Churchill, Mr. Churchill's aunt.
2. Who does Mr. Churchill call Emma's lovely friend in a letter he sends to Mr. and Mrs. Weston?
(a) Miss Bates.
(b) Miss Fairfax.
(d) Mrs. Weston.
3. What does Mrs. Elton constantly compare Highbury to?
(b) Her home, Maple Grove.
(d) London society.
4. Why is Emma excited about this death in Volume 3, Chapter 9?
(a) Because it will clear the way for Mr. Churchill to be married, hopefullly to Harriet.
(b) Because the old woman was mean and her death will free everyone around her.
(c) Because it will mean a funeral and a reason for old friends to see each other.
(d) Because it will mean a trip to London.
5. What do the Bateses and Miss Fairfax seem to know a lot about?
(a) Mr. Knightley's business associations.
(b) Mr. Elton's personal business.
(c) Mr. Woodhouse's narocies.
(d) Mr. Churchill's comings and goings.
6. Why are Mr. Churchill's aunt and uncle moving to London?
(a) To provide a home for an orphaned cousin.
(b) To provide a warmer climate for the aunt's illness.
(c) To be closer to Highbury.
(d) To be closer to social season.
7. Why is Emma put off with Mr. Churchill at this party?
(a) He is rude and leaves the party early.
(b) He is angry and at first refuses to attend the picnic at Box Hill.
(c) He only attends the party for a moment and then rushes off to have his haircut in London.
(d) He spends all his time talking to Miss Fairfax.
8. Why is Emma glad Harriet does not want to see her?
(a) Because she can continue to put off telling her about her engagement to Mr. George Knightley.
(b) Because she hopes this means Harriet has met a man.
(c) Because she is eager to stay away from such a depressing person.
(d) Because she does not like her anymore.
9. Why does Emma decide to host a party at Hartfield?
(a) To celebrate Mr. Churchill's return.
(b) To avoid appearing rude.
(c) To please her father.
(d) To attempt to befriend Mrs. Elton.
10. What is Mr. Knightley's fear for this new baby?
(a) That she will be spoiled.
(b) That she will be uneducated.
(c) That she will be teased by other children.
(d) That she will be neglected.
11. What solution does Mr. George Knightley come up with for Emma's reasons for delaying their wedding?
(a) Mr. George Knighley suggests they find a woman to marry Mr. Woodhouse.
(b) Mr. George Knightley suggests he move into Hartfield.
(c) Mr. George Knightley suggests Mr. Woodhouse go to live in London with Isabella.
(d) Mr. George Knightley suggests they hire a nurse for Mr. Woodhouse.
12. What riddle does Mr. Churchill make for Miss Fairfax that makes her angry?
(a) The name Dixon.
(b) The name Emma.
(c) The phrase old maid.
(d) The word governess.
13. What letter does Emma force Mr. George Knightley to read?
(a) A letter of apology from Mr. Churchill.
(b) A letter of friendship from Harriet.
(c) A letter of praise from Mrs. Weston.
(d) A love letter from Mr. Elton.
14. How does Emma respond to the news from Harriet?
(a) Emma is happy for her.
(b) Emma is shocked.
(c) Emma is outraged.
(d) Emma is uninterested.
15. Who befriends Miss Fairfax in the beginning of Volume 2, Chapter 15?
(a) Mrs. Weston.
(c) Mrs. Elton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Emma's next target in her matchmaking attempts on Harriet's behalf?
2. What does Mr. George Knightley think of Mr. Churchill now, in light of his secret?
3. How does the revelation of the father of Harriet change her social status upon her marriage?
4. Where does Emma send Harriet?
5. How does Mr. Woodhouse respond to Emma's engagement?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)