|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who befriends Miss Fairfax in the beginning of Volume 2, Chapter 15?
(b) Mrs. Elton.
(c) Mrs. Weston.
2. How is the humiliation of Harriet smoothed over?
(a) Mr. Churchill asks her to dance.
(b) Mr. George Knightley asks her to dance.
(c) Mr. Weston asks Mr. Elton to leave.
(d) Mr. Elton apologizes.
3. What do the Bateses and Miss Fairfax seem to know a lot about?
(a) Mr. Woodhouse's narocies.
(b) Mr. Churchill's comings and goings.
(c) Mr. Knightley's business associations.
(d) Mr. Elton's personal business.
4. Why does Emma believe she faces a future without friends?
(a) Because Mrs. Elton is spreading bad gossip about her, scaring everyone away.
(b) Because everyone is getting married and having babies, keeping them too busy to visit.
(c) Because she has offended too many people with her conceit.
(d) Because she has decided she no longer wants to have friends around.
5. Who refuses to dance with Harriet in an attempt to humiliate her?
(a) Mr. Weston.
(b) Mr. George Knightley.
(c) Mr. Elton.
(d) Mr. John Knightley.
6. Why is Emma excited about this death in Volume 3, Chapter 9?
(a) Because the old woman was mean and her death will free everyone around her.
(b) Because it will mean a trip to London.
(c) Because it will mean a funeral and a reason for old friends to see each other.
(d) Because it will clear the way for Mr. Churchill to be married, hopefullly to Harriet.
7. Who does Emma make a harmless, but rude comment about?
(a) Miss Fairfax.
(b) Mrs. Elton.
(c) Mrs. Weston.
(d) Miss Bates.
8. How does Emma respond to the news from Harriet?
(a) Emma is outraged.
(b) Emma is shocked.
(c) Emma is uninterested.
(d) Emma is happy for her.
9. Who does Emma deduce Harriet is in love with?
(a) Mr. Elton.
(b) Mr. Martin.
(c) Mr. George Knightley.
(d) Mr. Churchill.
10. What type of robberies are taking place in Highbury?
(a) Home invasions.
(b) Roadside burglaries.
(c) Poultry house robberies.
(d) Barn thefts.
11. What does Emma question Mr. Knightley about as they discuss Miss Fairfax's new friendship?
(a) If Mr. Knightley knows who the donor of the pianoforte is.
(b) Whether Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Bates.
(c) Whether Mr. Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax.
(d) If Mr. Knightley knows who Miss Fairfax is in love with.
12. Where does Miss Fairfax intend to move to?
(d) Maple Grove.
13. Why would Emma think Mr. Churchill's engagement might upset Harriet?
(a) Because she has been trying to match Harriet and Mr. Churchill together.
(b) Because Harriet is in love with Mr. Churchill.
(c) Because Harriet dislikes Miss Fairfax.
(d) Because Harriet is depressed that everyone is getting married except her.
14. What does Mr. John Knightley say that causes Emma to be amused?
(a) That he believes her to be very busy socially.
(b) That he believes she should marry soon.
(c) That he believes she is in love with Mr. Churchill.
(d) That he believes his brother is in love with her.
15. Why does Mr. Woodhouse change his mind about Emma marrying Mr. George Knightley?
(a) Because he would feel safer with a man in the house.
(b) Because he knows Mr. George Knighley can make his daughter happy.
(c) Because he can see how much Emma loves him.
(d) Because he knows he will die soon and does not want to leave Emma alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Mr. Weston bring that causes Emma some agitation?
2. Why does Emma try to keep word of the incident from her father?
3. Why is this person angry with Mr. George Knightley?
4. Why does Emma begin regretting her treatment of Miss Fairfax?
5. Who does Emma reach out to, and is rebuffed, when she learns of this person's illness?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)