|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Emma respond to the news from Harriet?
(a) Emma is happy for her.
(b) Emma is shocked.
(c) Emma is outraged.
(d) Emma is uninterested.
2. What do the Bateses and Miss Fairfax seem to know a lot about?
(a) Mr. Woodhouse's narocies.
(b) Mr. Elton's personal business.
(c) Mr. Churchill's comings and goings.
(d) Mr. Knightley's business associations.
3. How does Emma feel when she sees Mr. Churchill and Miss Fairfax?
(a) Emma is cordial, but not happy.
(b) Emma refuses to attend their wedding.
(c) Emma is angry and leaves immediately.
(d) Emma forgives them.
4. Who has a baby in Volume 3, Chapter 17?
(a) Mrs. Goddard.
(b) Mrs. Elton.
(c) Mrs. Weston.
(d) Miss Fairfax.
5. Why does Emma decide to host a party at Hartfield?
(a) To celebrate Mr. Churchill's return.
(b) To avoid appearing rude.
(c) To attempt to befriend Mrs. Elton.
(d) To please her father.
6. What mementos did Harriet keep of her brief courtship with Mr. Elton?
(a) A cigarette butt and a riddle.
(b) A piece of plaster from an injured finger and a riddle.
(c) A pencil and a piece of plaster.
(d) A glass he used and a pencil.
7. Why does Emma begin regretting her treatment of Miss Fairfax?
(a) Because she wants to remain on Mr. Churchill's good side.
(b) Because she thinks flirting with Mr. Churchill hurt Miss Fairfax's feelings.
(c) Because she thinks Miss Fairfax would have made a better friend because it would not have been hard to make a love match for her.
(d) Because she learns that Miss Fairfax regretted keeping her secret.
8. Why does Emma try to keep word of the incident from her father?
(a) Emma worries it will cause her father to become ill.
(b) Emma is afraid he will want to fix the situation himself.
(c) Emma knows it will only upset him.
(d) Emma knows her father will not approve of Harriet being alone with Mr. Churchill.
9. Who chastises Emma, causing her to feel mortified?
(a) Mr. George Knightley.
(b) Mr. Weston.
(c) Mr. Churchill.
(d) Mr. Woodhouse.
10. What do Emma and Miss Fairfax say to each other before Emma leaves?
(a) To never fight again.
(b) To never speak again.
(c) To be friends.
(d) To be one another's maid of honor.
11. Who is the first of the three local couples to get married?
(a) Emma and Mr. George Knightley.
(b) Harriet and Mr. Martin.
(c) Miss Fairfax and Mr. Churchill.
(d) Miss Bates and Mr. Elton.
12. Why is Mrs. Elton's picnic at Box Hill delayed?
(a) A lame carriage horse.
(b) A broken carriage wheel.
(c) A rainstorm.
(d) A servant strike.
13. What occupation has Miss Fairfax decided to adopt?
(d) Piano teacher.
14. Who befriends Miss Fairfax in the beginning of Volume 2, Chapter 15?
(c) Mrs. Weston.
(d) Mrs. Elton.
15. Why is Emma excited about this death in Volume 3, Chapter 9?
(a) Because the old woman was mean and her death will free everyone around her.
(b) Because it will mean a funeral and a reason for old friends to see each other.
(c) Because it will mean a trip to London.
(d) Because it will clear the way for Mr. Churchill to be married, hopefullly to Harriet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Knightley concerned about Mr. Churchill's interest in Emma?
2. What visitor interrupts Emma's attempts at apologizing to this person she was previously unkind to?
3. What riddle does Mr. Churchill make for Miss Fairfax that makes her angry?
4. Why are Mr. Churchill's aunt and uncle moving to London?
5. Who is Emma afraid will not approve of Mr. George Knightley's solution to their problem?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)