|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Miss Churchill, first wife of Mr. Weston, disowned by her family?
(a) She married a man below her social station.
(b) She got a divorce.
(c) She married a man they did not approve of.
(d) She got pregnant before she was married.
2. Who has sent a letter to the Bates announcing intentions to visit?
(a) Mrs. Cole.
(b) Mr. Churchill.
(c) Mr. Elton.
(d) Miss Fairfax.
3. How does Emma meet Harriet?
(a) Miss Goddard introduces them.
(b) Mr. Knightley introduces them.
(c) Mrs. Weston introduces them.
(d) Miss Bates introduces them.
4. What activity does Mr. Churchill confess to Emma that he loves?
(a) Horseback riding.
5. What man is Harriet attracted to when Emma first befriends her?
(a) Mr. Knightley.
(b) Mr. Elton.
(c) Mr. Martin.
(d) Mr. Weston.
6. What reason is given for the invitation failing to arrive promptly?
(a) They dislike Mr. Woodhouses unpleasant behaviors.
(b) The hosts were making special arrangements for Mr. Woodhouse's attendance.
(c) They dislike Emma's matchmaking games.
(d) They did not want Emma to outshine their own daughter.
7. What is Harriet's response?
(a) Yes, but only if Mrs. Goddard approves.
(b) No, because the proposal in a letter is inappropriate.
(c) Yes, but only if Emma approves.
(d) No, because she does not like Mr. Martin.
8. Where does Mrs. Weston repeatedly attempt to persuade Emma to go?
(a) To go horseback riding with Mr. Elton and Mr. Churchill.
(b) To have lunch with Mr. Churchill.
(c) To have lunch at the Bates home.
(d) To listen to Miss Fairfax play her new pianoforte.
9. What visitors are the Woodhouses expecting for Christmas?
(a) Mr. Elton.
(b) Mr. John Knightley and his wife, Isabella.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Weston.
(d) Mr. Churchill.
10. What does Emma vow to do for Harriet?
(a) To find her a better place to live.
(b) To help her finish her education.
(c) To help her learn to dress better.
(d) To find someone who will make her happy.
11. Who has recently left the Woodhouse home in order to marry?
(a) Mr. Woodhouse, Emma's father.
(b) Harriet, Emma's friend.
(c) Mr. Knightley, Emma's brother-in-law.
(d) Miss Taylor, Emma's governess.
12. Why does Mr. Woodhouse request that Emma not dabble in matchmaking any longer?
(a) Emma is bad at choosing mates for her friends.
(b) Emma has hurt too many people with her matching.
(c) Emma's matches always end badly.
(d) Emma was the one to match Miss Taylor with her husband, Mr. Weston.
13. What complaint does Mr. Woodhouse have regarding the food served at a dinner party at Hartfield?
(a) It is too cold.
(b) It is too wholesome.
(c) It is not wholesome enough.
(d) It is too salty.
14. What does Emma believe the theme of the riddle is?
15. Who invites Harriet to tea at their home, causing her to seek advice again?
(a) Miss Hawkins.
(b) Miss Elizabeth Martin.
(c) Mr. Martin.
(d) Mr. George Knightley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emma decide to feature in her next art project?
2. Who asks Emma for the privilege of the first two dances at this ball?
3. Whose arrival in Highbury has been delayed?
4. What time limit does Emma place on Harriet's visit to Abbey Mill?
5. Who is kept from Mr. Woodhouse to prevent annoying him?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)