|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What artistic talent does Emma possess?
(a) Writing poetry.
(b) Portrait painting.
(d) Drawing caricatures.
2. What does Harriet find in her room at the boarding school that surprises her?
(a) A new pianoforte.
(b) A letter from Mr. Elton.
(c) The art project Emma created.
(d) A package from Elizabeth and her brother.
3. How does Mr. Knightley react when he learns that Emma counseled Harriet negatively about the letter?
(a) He is proud of her.
(b) He is supportive of her opinion.
(c) He becomes angry and leaves.
(d) He is surprised Emma would act in such a way.
4. About whom does Mr. Churchill agree with Emma's opinion regarding their behavior and secret affairs?
(a) Miss Fairfax.
(b) Mr. Weston.
(c) Mr. George Knightley.
(d) Mrs. Weston.
5. Who sends a letter to Mr. Woodhouse announcing his intentions of going to Bath for an indeterminate amount of time?
(c) Mr. Elton.
(d) Mr. George Knightley.
6. What visitors are the Woodhouses expecting for Christmas?
(a) Mr. Churchill.
(b) Mr. Elton.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Weston.
(d) Mr. John Knightley and his wife, Isabella.
7. Who does Mr. Churchill claim he is glad he did not dance with because her dancing is not as good as Emma's?
(c) Mrs. Weston.
(d) Miss Fairfax.
8. What is all the gossip centering around this person about?
(a) Miss Hawkins' reported beauty and wealth.
(b) Miss Fairfax's affair with a married man.
(c) Emma's failed attempt at matching Mr. Elton to Harriet.
(d) Mr. Churchill's secret engagement.
9. How does Miss Fairfax respond to questions Emma asks about Mr. Churchill?
(a) With contempt.
(b) With anger.
(c) With vague responses.
(d) With the assumption that Emma is in love with the mysterious stranger.
10. What activity does Mr. Churchill confess to Emma that he loves?
(a) Horseback riding.
11. What fear does Mr. Churchill confide in Emma before he leaves?
(a) That he will miss Emma greatly.
(b) That he has created a poor reputation with Mr. George Knightley.
(c) That he will be unable to return.
(d) That he has hurt his father's feelings by leaving.
12. Who does Emma believe the donor of the pianoforte is?
(a) Mr. Dixon.
(b) Mr. George Knightley.
(c) Mr. Churchill.
(d) Mr. Weston.
13. What does this riding companion confess to Emma on the ride home?
(a) That he believes she is a conceited young woman.
(b) That he is in love with her.
(c) That he dislikes her matchmaking attempts.
(d) That he is in love with Harriet.
14. Why did Mr. John Knightley spend the summer at the seashore rather than at Hartfield?
(a) Because they were attending a wedding.
(b) Because they did not want to see Mr. Woodhouse.
(c) Because Isabella was ill.
(d) Because a child had a throat ailment.
15. What is Emma's definition of an old maid?
(a) A rich woman whose fiance leaves her at the alter.
(b) A rich woman who chooses not to marry.
(c) A poor woman who chooses not to marry.
(d) A poor woman who could not find a husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emma take Harriet to visit in hopes of distracting her from her depression?
2. What gift has Mr. George Knightley made to the Bates that causes Emma to wonder about his intentions?
3. What does Emma vow to do for Harriet?
4. Who gives Emma a riddle?
5. What concerns Mr. Woodhouse about this letter?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)