|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What man is Harriet attracted to when Emma first befriends her?
(a) Mr. Knightley.
(b) Mr. Martin.
(c) Mr. Weston.
(d) Mr. Elton.
2. Who does Emma find herself alone with in the carriage ride home?
(a) Mr. Elton.
(b) Mr. George Knightley.
(c) Mr. Woodhouse.
(d) Mr. Weston.
3. What ends the evening at Randalls prematurely?
(a) An illness.
(b) A snowstorm.
(c) An important message.
(d) A rude waiter.
4. Why does Mr. Churchill abruptly decide to leave?
(a) He is unhappy with Emma's attentions.
(b) He has business to attend to.
(c) His aunt is sick.
(d) He is uncomfortable of the attention of the small village.
5. Whose arrival in Highbury has been delayed?
(a) Miss Bates.
(b) Mr. Churchill's
(c) Mrs. Weston.
(d) Mr. George Knightley.
6. What activity does Mr. Churchill confess to Emma that he loves?
(c) Horseback riding.
7. How does Emma feel about Mr. Churchill's departure?
(a) She is sad, but has too much going on to miss him much.
(b) She is surprised by how much she misses him.
(c) She could care less.
(d) She is relieved.
8. Who has sent a letter to the Bates announcing intentions to visit?
(a) Mrs. Cole.
(b) Miss Fairfax.
(c) Mr. Churchill.
(d) Mr. Elton.
9. What is the topic of conversation in the beginning moments of the party to which Emma attends in Volume 2, Chapter 8?
(a) Mr. Churchill's trip to London.
(b) Mr. Dixon's recent marriage to the daughter of Miss Fairfax's benefactor.
(c) The new pianoforte Miss Fairfax has received and its mysterioius benefactor.
(d) The special attention Mr. George Knightley has been spending on the Bates and Miss Fairfax.
10. What is Harriet's response?
(a) No, because she does not like Mr. Martin.
(b) Yes, but only if Mrs. Goddard approves.
(c) No, because the proposal in a letter is inappropriate.
(d) Yes, but only if Emma approves.
11. For what reason does Mr. Churchill go to London shortly after his arrival?
(a) To buy a new suit.
(b) To visit an old friend.
(c) To get a haircut.
(d) To buy Emma a peice of jewelry.
12. What does Harriet find in her room at the boarding school that surprises her?
(a) A package from Elizabeth and her brother.
(b) A new pianoforte.
(c) The art project Emma created.
(d) A letter from Mr. Elton.
13. Who does not think highly of Mr. Churchill because of his recent inaction?
(a) Mr. George Knightley.
(b) Mr. Woodhouse.
(c) Mr. Weston.
(d) Mrs. Weston.
14. What does Emma vow to do for Harriet?
(a) To help her finish her education.
(b) To help her learn to dress better.
(c) To find her a better place to live.
(d) To find someone who will make her happy.
15. Why does Mr. Woodhouse request that Emma not dabble in matchmaking any longer?
(a) Emma is bad at choosing mates for her friends.
(b) Emma has hurt too many people with her matching.
(c) Emma's matches always end badly.
(d) Emma was the one to match Miss Taylor with her husband, Mr. Weston.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harriet go to for advice about this encounter?
2. What is Emma's reaction to the implication that Mr. George Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax?
3. Who has recently left the Woodhouse home in order to marry?
4. What recent wedding is the main topic of conversation?
5. Who is the intended target of Emma's next attempt at matchmaking?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)