|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason does Mr. Churchill go to London shortly after his arrival?
(a) To buy Emma a peice of jewelry.
(b) To buy a new suit.
(c) To visit an old friend.
(d) To get a haircut.
2. What news do Emma and Harriet receive that causes more excitement in Highbury?
(a) Mr. Churchill is finally to arrive.
(b) Mrs. Weston is expecting her first child.
(c) Miss Bates has gotten engaged.
(d) Miss Fairfax is due to arrive in the morning.
3. What artistic talent does Emma possess?
(a) Portrait painting.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Drawing caricatures.
4. Whose engagement is announced in Volume 2, Chapter 3?
(a) Mr. George Knightley's.
(b) Mr. Churchill's.
(c) Mr. Woodhouse's.
(d) Mr. Elton's.
5. Why does Emma believe her carriage companion made this confession?
(a) He was drunk.
(b) He is hurt by the way she treats the people around her.
(c) He was playing games with her.
(d) He is interested in her social station.
6. What is Emma's first impression of the mysterious Mr. Churchill?
(a) That he is inconsiderate and rude.
(b) That they will be instant friends.
(c) That he is conceited and unfriendly.
(d) That is very handsome and would make a good husband.
7. Whose arrival in Highbury has been delayed?
(a) Mr. Churchill's
(b) Miss Bates.
(c) Mr. George Knightley.
(d) Mrs. Weston.
8. Who believes this choice of vacation location was all wrong?
(a) Mr. Woodhouse.
(b) Mr. George Knightley.
(d) Mr. John Knightley.
9. What news causes Mrs. Weston to worry about her husband's emotions?
(a) Mr. Churchill will not be visiting.
(b) Mr. Churchill has decided to get married, but has not invited the Westons.
(c) Mr. Churchill does not want to have anything to do with Mr. Weston.
(d) Mr. Churchill has allowed his aunt and uncle to adopt him.
10. Who does not think highly of Mr. Churchill because of his recent inaction?
(a) Mr. Weston.
(b) Mrs. Weston.
(c) Mr. Woodhouse.
(d) Mr. George Knightley.
11. What has caused the delay of a character's visit to Highbury?
(a) The illness of his mother.
(b) The illness of his father.
(c) The illness of his aunt.
(d) The illness of his uncle.
12. Who would prefer to avoid all talk about Miss Fairfax?
(a) Miss Bates.
(b) Mrs. Cole.
13. Who does Emma believe the riddle was meant for?
(b) Mrs. Weston.
(d) Mr. Woodhouse.
14. What is Emma's definition of an old maid?
(a) A rich woman whose fiance leaves her at the alter.
(b) A poor woman who chooses not to marry.
(c) A rich woman who chooses not to marry.
(d) A poor woman who could not find a husband.
15. Who does Mr. Churchill claim he is glad he did not dance with because her dancing is not as good as Emma's?
(a) Mrs. Weston.
(b) Miss Fairfax.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ends the evening at Randalls prematurely?
2. What visitors are the Woodhouses expecting for Christmas?
3. Why was Miss Churchill, first wife of Mr. Weston, disowned by her family?
4. Who decides to throw a ball to honor Mr. Churchill?
5. Who asks Emma for the privilege of the first two dances at this ball?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)