|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Churchill claim he is glad he did not dance with because her dancing is not as good as Emma's?
(a) Mrs. Weston.
(d) Miss Fairfax.
2. Who has recently left the Woodhouse home in order to marry?
(a) Miss Taylor, Emma's governess.
(b) Mr. Woodhouse, Emma's father.
(c) Harriet, Emma's friend.
(d) Mr. Knightley, Emma's brother-in-law.
3. Who do Emma and Harriet run into on the road between Randalls and Hartfield?
(a) Miss Fairfax.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Weston.
(c) Miss Bates.
(d) Mr. George Knightley.
4. Where does Mrs. Weston repeatedly attempt to persuade Emma to go?
(a) To go horseback riding with Mr. Elton and Mr. Churchill.
(b) To have lunch with Mr. Churchill.
(c) To listen to Miss Fairfax play her new pianoforte.
(d) To have lunch at the Bates home.
5. What does Mr. Churchill try to make Miss Fairfax confess?
(a) Her deepest, darkest secrets.
(b) Her past love affairs.
(c) The donor of the pianoforte.
(d) The name of the man she is love with.
6. Who decides to throw a ball to honor Mr. Churchill?
(a) The Bates.
(b) The Westons.
(c) The Knightleys.
(d) The Woodhouses.
7. Why was Miss Churchill, first wife of Mr. Weston, disowned by her family?
(a) She married a man below her social station.
(b) She married a man they did not approve of.
(c) She got a divorce.
(d) She got pregnant before she was married.
8. Why did Mr. John Knightley spend the summer at the seashore rather than at Hartfield?
(a) Because Isabella was ill.
(b) Because they did not want to see Mr. Woodhouse.
(c) Because a child had a throat ailment.
(d) Because they were attending a wedding.
9. Who claims they will never get married?
(b) Mr. George Knighley.
(c) Mr. Woodhouse.
10. Who does Harriet run into while shopping in Highbury?
(a) Mr. George Knightley.
(b) Elizabeth Martin and her brother.
(c) Miss Fairfax.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Weston.
11. Where is this ball to be held?
(a) At Hartfield.
(b) At Donwell Abbey.
(c) At Randalls.
(d) At Crown's.
12. What time limit does Emma place on Harriet's visit to Abbey Mill?
(a) One hour.
(b) Fifteen minutes.
(c) One half hour.
(d) Two hours.
13. Who arrives at Highbury int he beginning of Volume 1, Chapter 11?
(a) Mr. George Knightley.
(b) Mr. Churchill.
(c) Isabella and her family.
(d) Mrs. Weston.
14. What visitors are the Woodhouses expecting for Christmas?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Weston.
(b) Mr. Elton.
(c) Mr. Churchill.
(d) Mr. John Knightley and his wife, Isabella.
15. What is Mrs. Bates' relationship to Miss Fairfax?
(a) She is her aunt.
(b) She is her cousin.
(c) She is her mother.
(d) She is her grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does this riding companion confess to Emma on the ride home?
2. What is all the gossip centering around this person about?
3. What has caused the delay of a character's visit to Highbury?
4. What is Emma's reaction to the implication that Mr. George Knightley is in love with Miss Fairfax?
5. Who invites Harriet to tea at their home, causing her to seek advice again?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)