|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 1 Chapter 13 | Volume 1 Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Miss Churchill, first wife of Mr. Weston, disowned by her family?
(a) She married a man below her social station.
(b) She married a man they did not approve of.
(c) She got a divorce.
(d) She got pregnant before she was married.
2. Why did Mr. John Knightley spend the summer at the seashore rather than at Hartfield?
(a) Because they were attending a wedding.
(b) Because a child had a throat ailment.
(c) Because they did not want to see Mr. Woodhouse.
(d) Because Isabella was ill.
3. What is Harriet's response?
(a) No, because she does not like Mr. Martin.
(b) Yes, but only if Emma approves.
(c) Yes, but only if Mrs. Goddard approves.
(d) No, because the proposal in a letter is inappropriate.
4. What is Emma's definition of an old maid?
(a) A rich woman whose fiance leaves her at the alter.
(b) A rich woman who chooses not to marry.
(c) A poor woman who could not find a husband.
(d) A poor woman who chooses not to marry.
5. What man is Harriet attracted to when Emma first befriends her?
(a) Mr. Knightley.
(b) Mr. Martin.
(c) Mr. Weston.
(d) Mr. Elton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else knows about the letter?
2. Who claims they will never get married?
3. What artistic talent does Emma possess?
4. Whose advice regarding his children begins to annoy Mr. John Knightley?
5. What does Harriet find in her room at the boarding school that surprises her?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)