|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 1 Chapter 17 | Volume 1 Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Miss Bates, a frequent visitor to the Hartfield?
(a) Miss Bates is an unmarried woman who cares for her elderly mother.
(b) Miss Bates is a governess.
(c) Miss Bates is the headmistress at a boarding school.
(d) Miss Bates is the daughter of the local vicar.
2. Who else knows about the letter?
(a) Mrs. Goddard.
(b) Mr. Woodhouse.
(c) Mrs. Weston.
(d) Mr. George Knightley.
3. What does Emma vow to do for Harriet?
(a) To find her a better place to live.
(b) To help her learn to dress better.
(c) To find someone who will make her happy.
(d) To help her finish her education.
4. What is Emma's definition of an old maid?
(a) A poor woman who chooses not to marry.
(b) A rich woman whose fiance leaves her at the alter.
(c) A rich woman who chooses not to marry.
(d) A poor woman who could not find a husband.
5. What man is Harriet attracted to when Emma first befriends her?
(a) Mr. Weston.
(b) Mr. Elton.
(c) Mr. Knightley.
(d) Mr. Martin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose arrival in Highbury has been delayed?
2. Who does Emma believe the riddle was meant for?
3. How does Mr. Knightley react when he learns that Emma counseled Harriet negatively about the letter?
4. Who does Mr. John Knightley suggest is in love with Emma?
5. Who gives Emma a riddle?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)