|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can woman exercise cruelty in her turn, in Rousseau's opinion?
(a) By bringing another man's baby into the marriage.
(b) By giving her babies away for adoption.
(c) By humiliating the man with her low behavior.
(d) By making a man wonder who is visiting during the day.
2. What must Sophy and her parents determine in choosing a spouse for her?
(a) Whether the man is wealthy.
(b) Whether the man is temperate.
(c) Whether the man is successful.
(d) Whether she and the man are suited to each other.
3. How does Rousseau explain the relations of the sexes?
(a) As master (or mistress) and slave.
(b) As equals competing for superiority.
(c) As warring opposites.
(d) As complementary differences.
4. Why does Sophy fend Emile off during their courtship?
(a) For the sake of preserving her innocence.
(b) For the sake of her sanity.
(c) For the sake of her honor.
(d) For the sake of heightening the expectations for the wedding.
5. What does the priest say does not work?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Rousseau recommend marriage for Emile?
2. Where did the priest find that philosophers were exceptional?
3. What does Sophy's name mean?
4. What quality is necessary for any marriage to succeed, in Rousseau's opinion?
5. What saddened the priest after he left the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rousseau say about travel?
2. What form of education does Rousseau imagine that will help Emile resist the possibility of corruption?
3. Why did the priest become a priest?
4. What does Emile's father tell Emile about sexual fidelity in men and women?
5. What three forces does Rousseau say are involved in preparing Sophy for marriage?
6. How does Emile react to the news that he and Sophy have to separate?
7. What does Rousseau say about the conflict between the sexes?
8. What is Rousseau's perspective when he writes about sexual desire in Book 4, Chapter 3?
9. How does the priest describe his feelings about leaving the church?
10. What does Rousseau say is the challenge for women?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)