|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rousseau's religious perspective as he advises Emile?
(a) Converted Catholic.
2. What does Rousseau recommend for Emile concerning sexual experience?
(a) He recommends he remain a virgin until marriage.
(b) He recommends he follow his own leanings.
(c) He recommends he enter the clerisy.
(d) He recommends he gather experience before marriage.
3. What quality is necessary for any marriage to succeed, in Rousseau's opinion?
(c) Mutual affection.
4. Why does woman submit to man, in Rousseau's opinion?
(a) Because of man's greater strength.
(b) Because of woman's greater understanding.
(c) Because of man's greater capacity for reason.
(d) Because of woman's tendency to irrationality.
5. Why had the priest become a priest?
(a) He had been raised in a church orphanage.
(b) He had wandered the world until he heard a calling.
(c) He had to choose between the church and the military.
(d) His parents had seen it as a good career.
Short Answer Questions
1. What led to the priest's downfall as a priest?
2. What does Rousseau warn against with regard to desire?
3. What does the priest say does not work?
4. How does the exposition shift at the beginning of Book 4, Chapter 3?
5. How does Rousseau change his stance about marriage as Book 4, Chapter 3 goes on?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Rousseau attribute the differences between men and women?
2. What does Rousseau say about men's and women's proper role and temperament?
3. What does Rousseau say are the benefits and dangers of book learning?
4. Why does Emile's mentor informs Emile that he needs to go apart from Sophy and make himself worthy of her as a husband?
5. How does Emile react to the news that he and Sophy have to separate?
6. Why did the priest become a priest?
7. What does Emile's father tell Emile about sexual fidelity in men and women?
8. How does Rousseau describe Sophy's parents' marriage as they consider finding a marriage for Sophy?
9. What is it that the priest says will allow Emile to return to his childhood religion?
10. Why does Rousseau aim to foster restraint in Emile?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)