|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Against what does Rousseau warn teachers?
(a) Simplifying the truth.
(b) Dishonesty with their students.
(c) Giving students too much freedom.
(d) Consorting with their students.
2. What does Rousseau say children are working within as they attain their strength?
(a) Their times.
(b) Their inherent innocence.
(c) The spectrum of ancient knowledge.
(d) Their own range and mode.
3. What does Rousseau say about self-love?
(a) It is a beast.
(b) It is healthy and natural.
(c) It is a necessary stage.
(d) It is the goal of growth.
4. What example does Rousseau use for teaching Emile to read?
(a) The tutor told Emile that he would be rewarded if he learned to read.
(b) The tutor cajoled Emile with praise and gifts.
(c) The tutor left notes around for Emile and Emile wanted to read them.
(d) The tutor threatened to humiliate Emile if he did not know his letters.
5. How does Rousseau suggest we see childhood?
(a) As a perfect state in itself.
(b) As a time in itself.
(c) As the goal for all men's development.
(d) As a stage in the man's development.
Short Answer Questions
1. What change does a man experience at his second birth?
2. Whom does Rousseau address directly in the section on submission?
3. How does Rousseau say selfishness is ever satisfied?
4. Why does Rousseau say that children lack strength?
5. What kind of opinions does Rousseau seem to hold, as he talks about book learning?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Rousseau, what allows a child to find the extra ability that allows him to grow?
2. What does Rousseau mean when he says that he wants children to learn ignorance?
3. Describe Rousseau's childhood and early career.
4. How does Rousseau say a child can be managed without interest?
5. How was "Emile" received?
6. How does Rousseau answer the question about where babies come from?
7. Why does Rousseau say that the adolescent is at the peak of his development and reasoning?
8. What is epistemology and how did it affect Rousseau's "Emile"?
9. How does Rousseau distinguish between self-love and selfishness?
10. What does Rousseau say is the purpose of education?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)