|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality is necessary for any marriage to succeed, in Rousseau's opinion?
(d) Mutual affection.
2. What effect will marriage have on Emile?
(a) Entering him into society.
(b) Getting him out of his apprenticeship.
(c) Weighing him down with responsibilities.
(d) Ameliorating his desires.
3. What task does Emile's tutor assign, which he must complete before Emile can marry?
(a) Emile must go away and make himself worthy.
(b) Emile must complete his apprenticeship.
(c) Emile must know other women.
(d) Emile must make a lot of money.
4. What field did the priest explore after leaving the church?
5. How had Rousseau raised his children?
(a) With strict morals.
(b) With kindness but insistence on obedience..
(c) He had given them up for adoption.
(d) In tight-fitting clothes.
6. What is the subject of Book 5, Chapter 2?
(a) The responsibility of women.
(b) The education of women.
(c) The duties of a mother.
(d) The duties of a husband.
7. How many important long-term relationships had Rousseau had by the time he wrote "Emile"?
8. How will the right amount of work affect Emile?
(a) It will keep his digestion regular.
(b) It will make him sleep soundly.
(c) It will mitigate his desires.
(d) It will make his mind receptive.
9. How did the priest enter the clergy?
(a) He followed directions.
(b) He bought his pastorate from a friend.
(c) He bribed a bishop.
(d) He followed his own spiritual path.
10. What does Rousseau say people have, who have not traveled?
(a) Narrow views.
(b) Poor culture.
(c) Deep roots.
(d) Work to do.
11. What are Sophy's skills?
(a) She is a good cook.
(b) She is well read in philosophy.
(c) She is an empathetic listener.
(d) She is good with her hands.
12. What factor does Rousseau say has increased the need for government control?
(a) Increase in population.
(c) Innovations in weaponry.
(d) Steam engines and railroads.
13. What is Rousseau's feeling about the disparity between men's and women's roles?
(a) That it is good and right.
(b) That it is harmful but inevitable.
(c) That it is lamentable.
(d) That it is reasonable.
14. How does the priest describe the period after he left the church?
(a) As the beginning of his enjoyment of life.
(b) As one of the most disturbing periods of his life.
(c) As the beginning of his true faith and wisdom.
(d) As the end of his love for life.
15. What is Sophy like before she becomes Emile's ideal wife?
(a) A humble worker.
(b) A nun.
(c) A mother.
(d) A good daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can woman exercise cruelty in her turn, in Rousseau's opinion?
2. What is the purpose of Sophy in the education Rousseau is designing for Emile?
3. What does Rousseau want Emile to respect in the relationship between men and women?
4. What must Sophy and her parents determine in choosing a spouse for her?
5. What will the principles the author recommends for Emile do for him?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)