|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, Book 5 : Chapter 1, Sophy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Emile reminded to be, at the beginning of Book 4, Chapter 3, "Managing the Sexual Desires"?
(a) Humble and honest.
(b) Ambitious and assertive
(c) Skeptical and cunning.
(d) Obedient and submissive.
2. What was Rousseau's childhood household like?
(a) Cosmopolitan and literary.
(b) Violent and chaotic.
(c) Loving and gentle.
(d) Harsh and silent.
3. Whom does Rousseau address directly in the section on submission?
4. What does the adolescent's strength allow him to do?
(a) Compete with adults.
(b) Understand human nature.
(c) Complete a masterpiece and enter a trade.
(d) Exceed earlier limits.
5. What does Rousseau urge people to avoid?
(b) Gossip and rumor.
(d) Corruption and sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the dominant idea in Europe when Rousseau wrote "Emile"?
2. What kind of background does Rousseau say he came from?
3. What distinction does epistemology seek to make?
4. Why had the priest become a priest?
5. What does Rousseau recommend mothers should give up?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)