|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, Book 5 : Chapter 1, Sophy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When should children begin book learning, in Rousseau's opinion?
(a) As soon as they are walking.
(b) As soon as they can read.
(c) After they have had direct experience.
(d) After they have learned to write.
2. What does Rousseau say is the trouble with being attractive to women?
(a) Making promises in love letters, which cannot be fulfilled.
(b) Getting into debt.
(c) Being overwhelmed by strong emotions.
(d) Being hounded into actions one is not ready for.
3. What change does a man experience at his second birth?
(a) The ability to reason.
(b) Facial hair and a deeper voice.
(c) The ability to hold complex ideas.
(d) Sexual desire.
4. What advantage does physical activity confer on a student?
(a) Strength to overcome emotions.
(b) Hard-heartedness to face suffering.
(c) Vigor to face the threats in life.
(d) Patience to face loss.
5. What kind of approach does Rousseau advocate for parents when their children are hurt?
(a) Punitive approach: punish the child for getting hurt.
(b) Drastic approach: take the child to a doctor immediately.
(c) Hands-off approach: let the child fend for himself.
(d) Moderate approach: let the child see that he will be all right.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Rousseau recommend marriage for Emile?
2. What does Rousseau say he wants Emile to learn?
3. Against what kind of trap does Rousseau warn Emile?
4. What does Rousseau say about selfishness?
5. What does the field of epistemology concern itself with?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)