|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 4, Book 4 : Chapter 3, Managing the Sexual Desires.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the priest find that philosophers were exceptional?
(a) In finding words for experience of the divine.
(b) In arguing amongst themselves.
(c) In creating phantoms and shibboleths.
(d) In defining truth in human experience.
2. What innate ability allows a child to exceed his limits?
(a) The ability to read.
(b) The ability to take responsible actions.
(c) The ability to learn from experience.
(d) The ability to discern right from wrong.
3. What example does Rousseau use for teaching Emile to read?
(a) The tutor threatened to humiliate Emile if he did not know his letters.
(b) The tutor left notes around for Emile and Emile wanted to read them.
(c) The tutor cajoled Emile with praise and gifts.
(d) The tutor told Emile that he would be rewarded if he learned to read.
4. How did the man to whom Rousseau was apprenticed treat Rousseau?
5. Which philosopher does Rousseau cite by name in the section on Submission?
Short Answer Questions
1. What distinction does epistemology seek to make?
2. What does the priest say will happen to the errors that sowed a person's alienation from religion?
3. What does Rousseau say is the trouble with being attractive to women?
4. How does the exposition shift at the beginning of Book 4, Chapter 3?
5. In what does Rousseau say selfishness is rooted?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)