|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Book 3 : Chapter 1, Book 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rousseau say supplies the greatest motivational force for a student?
(a) Threat of punishment.
(c) Fear of humiliation
(d) Promise of reward.
2. Which philosopher does Rousseau cite by name in the section on Submission?
3. What trade did Rousseau apprentice in?
4. What is it that allows an adolescent to exceed his limits?
(a) A strength he assumes by strict physical training.
(b) A strength that he did not know he had.
(c) A strength he attains as the reward for competition against his peers.
(d) A strength that had always been there, unused.
5. What is the ultimate goal of Rousseau's educational philosophy?
(a) A student who acts as a repository for facts and theories for the benefit of the society around him.
(b) A student who can observe the laws of the government and of the church.
(c) A student who can quote scripture for anything that happens, no matter how rare or unusual.
(d) A student who can discern the difference between not knowing and ineffective grasps at knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rousseau's ideal for child rearing?
2. What trait is needed in tutors who are trying to win a student's submission?
3. What does Rousseau recommend for children, along with physical activity?
4. How does Rousseau define a happy life?
5. Why does Rousseau say that children lack strength?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)